IMDb > "The Grubbs" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Grubbs" More at IMDbPro »

Thought 'The Grubbs' hysterically funny

Author: cskjott from Greece
29 August 2005

I like sophisticated humor as well as the next person, comedies such as Frasier, Friends, The Simpsons among a few others, which display genuine integrity. I'm only venturing a review here, seeing the excruciatingly negative review from Canada, when I came by IMDb to review better details on my recent folly, "the Grubbs", which is all about being anything but sophisticated!

These days proper, well conceived humor is kind of rare in sitcoms, where the original idea is to "entertajn" the viewer with new angles and not "bore" you to the limit, where you consider if TV Shopping isn't really more interesting, because at least there they sell lots of spam indiscriminately and obviously!

I have only seen 2 episodes, I admit, but made me burst out with such loud and uncontrollable laughter in the middle of an otherwise silent night, I managed to wake up the house on both occasions.. Sadly it's being shown at a very late hour here, so I might not get to see it regularly, noise levels might be another prohibiting factor, but it's fairly original, punts are awesome and served cool and has that rare but needed quality, integrity.. A good cast and, thx Randy for portraying a professional 'spot on', nice one. I might be biased but then Randy always was always a great yob, and I think it's because he likes it and thats a clue here! A cast giving a good performance because they and everyone else 'seems' to enjoy the material and are not trying to mimic the lot in Friends or any other big box sitcom. Give it a look, you might agree, if not, humor is probably distributed somewhere else.

What were they thinking???

Author: bxc85 from Almaty Chamber of Commerce
27 July 2003

Why anyone would want to be associated with this terrible dreck is beyond me. Aside from a dire need of cash on the part of the actors, the need for a mid-season replacement on the part of studio executives, or a "The Producers"-like plot to make a show so bereft of genuine brains or humour in a bizzare bit of financial scheming, this filth is inexcusable. It was even shot on film, to add insult to injury. Make crapanade when life hands you crap, indeed. Well this is certainly proof of the maxim spouted by the pathetic Archie Bunker clone played by Quaid. When the pilot script plopped brown splatter and all out of the honeybucket into the desperate suits' well-manicured hands, those Harvard Business school graduates proved yet again that a cookie-cutter MBA is about as useful as a screen door on one's love sac. All the above-the-line personnel should be ashamed of themselves.