IMDb > "The Bachelor" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Bachelor"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Bachelor" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Good looking, shallow and tacky

Author: penseur from Wellington
16 July 2004

My girlfriend - addicted to American soap operas - wanted to watch this, so I thought maybe I should too. The concept is simple: get a bunch of attractive and neurotic young women who want to compete for the affections of some adonis and take them on one-on-ones with Mr. God's Gift to Women while the camera follows them and lets the viewer observe all the interesting and melodramatic moments (well most of them - we don't get to witness the sex). It creates a lot of questions - for example, why would women want to enter a show like this in the first place? What do they think is in it for them and what is really in it for them? It all looks good visually - the producers have seen to that - but it is also tacky, shallow and exploitative. It speaks a lot about America.

A reality show that brings shame to America and "True Love"

Author: Taisora from United States
2 March 2009

It makes one wonder how this show is still on the air. There's been one couple that has stayed together, married, and has children, but everyone else has broken up. What's the point of continuing this? The show can be entertaining at the beginning. You see all the girls swooning over one man, that almost all of them like instantly. It's just like in real life! The girls start to take sides, bitch one another out, and show their true selves (or so we think). But that one man is left to decide who to pick that he thinks he can marry and live happily ever after.

What is true love exactly? How can you fall for someone when you're forced to pick them? This show is unbelievable. You thought dating online was bad, but people have to go on TV to find love? It's not realistic. How could a girl be with a man when he is going out with several others, making out with them? None of these questions are answered, and finally when the show ends, you know there won't be a happy ending in the future. For all we know, everything is scripted.

Those poor, pathetic women.

Author: (canadian_eh88@yahoo.de) from Merritt, B.C.
20 November 2002

Those 25 women must be really desperate if they'll go on a show where the guy they make out with also makes out with and dates the 24 other women you live with. How desperate can a girl get? I don't even think that the first guy is going to marry the girl he chose. I'm watching the last episode of the Bachelor 2 right now, and hes about to choose either Helene or Brooke. I want him to choose Helene because Brooke is a blonde bimbo who needs to get a guy her own age. She's still young, she's still in collage. She's going to want to party and have fun, while Helene is more sophisticated. Also, is the guy so shallow that he only picks the sexy ones, and will pick a 'hot' wife in seven weeks? Get some normal looking girls on that show!

Who Cares

Author: metalface101 from Canton, Ohio
18 October 2002

Is the dating scene really that bad?? Are these women trying to tell me that they can't find a decent guy without the help of a "reality" show?? So this bachelor can't find a decent woman? Give me a break!! I can't figure out why pathetic shows like these get such good ratings. I hope these people enjoy their 15 minutes of fame. I could care less if he picks any of them, and it's too bad more of the viewing public doesn't feel the same way.

Of course it's trashy, pathetic, and sad...that is why it's entertaining!

Author: cellomaster from Washington
7 June 2003

Who really is more pathetic? The people that watch this show or the people that participate in it? Thankfully this is America, and we have the freedom do BOTH if we want to. And yes, the show is awful and the women always succeed in making themselves look like low-class high school girls by the end of the season premier. But hey, at least when you watch it, you can be thankful that you don't have to be there in the middle of it. No matter how bad your life seems, it could always be worse!

You know the story: 25 bimbettes vie for the love of one man. The bachelor, suave and well-to-do, dates the girls (in groups and sometimes one-on-one), and at the end of every episode he eliminates some of them. It's hilarious how serious these girls get within the first few episodes. When they're not gushing about the bachelor to the camera privately or talking about how much they want to become Mrs. <fill in the blank with bachelor's name>, they're trying to find ways to stab each other in the back and sling mud.

I'll admit I've watched all three seasons. Yes, I've been insulted and told I have no life before, but don't I have the right to watch what I want in evening after I've worked a hard day at work and already put the kids to bed? That's why this is America, folks.

The women on this show are hilarious sometimes, and I find myself often wondering if any of them are truly over the age of 16. They behave like little children, 99% of them talk like valley girls, and they all look the same...all beauty, no brains. As for the bachelor himself, the three men who have had the honor so far to pick their "bride" from among these ladies are also pretty generic...tall, dark, handsome, elegant, well-off (one of them we know for a fact is a millionaire), and making out as much as possible with all the ladies before the time comes, near the end of the series, that a ring must be purchased and an engagement proposed. So far the series is 3 for 3 in accepted proposals, but only 1 for 3 when it comes to relationships after the end of the series. I'm not surprised.

All in all, like pretty much all reality shows, this one is awful...so awful it's good and bringing in millions of ratings each season. The executives at ABC are laughing all the way to the bank.

Our Cultural Decline

Author: dbacke1 from United States
3 March 2009

I am sorry, but I just can't get over the fact that this show has been running since 2003. What I also can't get over is how much we have declined as a nation and as a culture to the point where ridiculous "shows" like this continue to be successful. Give me a break! The bachelor and all of the "contestants" are all morally repugnant and reprehensible in their actions. The bachelor basically "test drives" 25 different women during the course of the show, and each one of the them tries their best to get this guy to marry them. The women pull out all the stops in order to try to get this accomplished, regardless of how they really feel about him. It is so stupid that it is beyond belief, and you can totally tell they they are only after the guy for his money and security. Why would any woman with an ounce of decency spend even a second of her time with a man who is sleeping with 24 other women at basically the same time? The women all come across as so shallow and dense, and you would have to think that any woman who comes on this show as a contestant is probably someone with issues and who would therefore not be a good catch. If they are such viable candidates, why hasn't someone found them yet? It all just shows how materialistic and depraved our culture has become, and how true love takes a backseat to all of the superficial stuff that everyone is so preoccupied with. Please take this trash off the air!!!!

Good for a Guilty Pleasure

Author: rochelle-rochelle from United States
2 October 2007

This show stars a hunk of a man that is loaded with money, good looks, charm and confidence and about two dozen women who are all dying for his affection, love, attention and sperm. Yes, sperm. These women want The Bachelor to be the father of their future children. Dare to dream.

This show is good for a guilty pleasure for viewers, but should not be taken seriously. No show-winner yet has been able to make the relationship work and head into marriage without breaking up within months or weeks of the finale. This show format is NOT a good way to find love. I mean, come on, how can you fall in love with someone who is basically "cheating" on you on national television, kissing other women, dating other women, feeling up other women, sharing dreams and futures with other women, not knowing whether he is being true to you or to them.

The relationships between the girls in the house is purely superficial and fake. No one cares about the other women or hates to see them go. All they want is that rose so they can stay on TV a bit longer and garner their 15 minutes of fame. Because once the show is over, no one remembers who was on the show or even who won.

It's fun to watch because it's a reality competition based show, but in the end, we don't really care if they end up married or in love. We want to see who wins, but don't try to tell us they've found their soul mate because everyone on the show is a 'ho. The host of the show is pimping out the women to the bachelor and everyone has to put their best show on to get that rose that means absolutely nothing in real life.

All of the roses die before the finale even airs. But this show is great for filling a guilty pleasure as a viewer. I don't watch the show for love, but for pure entertainment and drama, which the story editors do a good job on this show to keep the interests high, drama deep and entertainment strong. But don't tell me the purpose of this show is to find true love. The formula of the show goes against all the odds of finding true love.

"THE BACHELOR" is a degrading 'reality' show where fifteen desperate women vie to be the wife of a 'bachelor'.

Author: Aussie Stud from Providence, Rhode Island
23 April 2002

Is the dating scene REALLY this BAD that one must resort to competing on a 'reality television show' in order to find that 'perfect match'?

Apparently so, according to ABC's "THE BACHELOR", an embarrassing and degrading 'entertainment' show where 15 single women are courted by 'Alex', a 31 year-old handsome, professional successful bachelor who must decide which lady (if at all) he prefers to be his wedded bride.

While FOX already conquered the smutty side of this premise with the exploitative and ground-breaking "WHO WANTS TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE" which ended in complete disaster (it was found out later that the groom had a violent domestic history - the wife filed for an annulment less than a few days later after the special aired on television), "THE BACHELOR" is a more mature approach to basically the same deal. In this case, Alex is not a millionaire, but he is professionally secure.

In reality, with looks combined, Alex would make the perfect catch for a single woman. As it yet goes to show that television still cannot grasp the meaning of the word 'reality', the fifteen women chosen to compete in this adventure are all young attractive in-shape ladies. If this was in fact a 'reality' show, all the women would be of different body shapes and sizes, ages and some may even be considered unattractive to general society. All the women featured in "THE BACHELOR" are between the ages of 20-30 and appear to be as man-hungry as those who would attend a male strip-joint.

I find it very hard to believe that all these women have trouble finding a reasonable date in 'the real world' that they had to resort to appearing on this television show in hopes of match-making with Mr. Alex. In this day and age, if life appears to be this terrible and trite for these women, "THE BACHELOR" really makes my life seem hopeless and meaningless.

"THE BACHELOR" is a show one can do without watching. It can be considered a guilty pleasure, but I find this kind of 'reality' rather sickening.

Whoever Alex decides to marry, I hope we get to see the spin-off, "THE DIVORCE". Now that would be true reality.

Show is fake with many season couples breaking up within weeks.

Author: shinobisinx
11 February 2015

Note that there are 18 finished seasons so far. Many of the seasons couple ends up breaking up within several weeks (at least 3 season couples do), and many others breaking up within a year. Know why? It's fake and not real as they try to make it seems so.

On March 26, 2009, Megan Parris says that not only is the show scripted, but the producers even bullied the contestants into saying stuff to the camera that they did not want to say. I quote from her,"They basically will call you names, berate you, curse at you until they get you to say what they want you to say." Both ABC and Warner Bros., the studio that produces The Bachelor, had no comment.

On March 15, 2010, creator Mike Fleiss appeared on 20/20 and said that he developed contestants into characters that will cater to his audience's tastes and that they "need fair share of villains every season." Fleiss has come under fire for admitting that The Bachelor has less to do with reality than it does making good television.

Just do your research and you'll find more facts given to you. During the "tell all" episodes, they would coach the girls into expressing fake emotions and say certain things that they did not want to do as well.

Lazy recycled kiddie smut.

Author: BlackJack_B
7 January 2014

The Bachelor, The Bachelorette and Bachelor Pad have been around for a long time as ABC is too lazy to create a new franchise to air on Monday nights. Disney obviously can keep costs low by hiring restaurant servers, struggling models and exotic dancers instead of real actors and then have them spout off "unscripted" kiddie drivel with bleeps to entertain people who embrace mediocrity instead of actually trying to find better but are too lazy to bother.

Until people say "Enough" and change the channel or, better yet, turn the television off Disney will keep churning out this kiddie smut indefinitely.

Unless you love seeing Schadenfreude over and over again as it's the only way you'll feel better about your sordid life even if you know what you're seeing on The Bachelor is staged, pass. Pass immediately.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]