IMDb > Der Wixxer (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Der Wixxer

Der Wixxer More at IMDbPro »

nonsense humor at its best!!

Author: tlg77 from schwarzwald, germany
13 July 2004

"der wixxer" is a beautiful nonsense-parody of the edgar wallace-movies with joachim fuchsberger and klaus kinski... okay, the point is: you have to be a fan of this style of film-making, like the movies of zucker-abrahams-zucker (top secret!, airplane!..etc.) or the movies helge schneider made. so, "der wixxer" is not a film for everyone...but i laughed through the whole because it has some very good ideas (think of the dices in the harbor-bar!! hilarious!!!) olli dittrich and bastian pastewka are very talented comedians...and they could make "der wixxer" just with their faces, if you know, what i mean. nonsense rocks!!!

Very enjoyable.

Author: ( from United Kingdom
26 February 2005

I thought I wouldn't like this , but it was surprisingly funny throughout and quite an original idea.The English names were particularly hilarious, as well as the somewhat familiar looking Butler.Obviously you won't know who all the actors unless you live in Germany,but that's not really vital information. You forget very easily that it's a foreign film as you get quite drawn into it. All in all it's one of the better spoofs that are out there now, compared to the Scary Movie trilogy whose writers seem to have run out of good ideas.It is well produced,with lighthearted humour and it makes a refreshing change from the usual Hollywood rubbish and I'm even thinking of getting it on DVD...

What a disappointment

Author: derurs from London, England
14 February 2005

It took me quite some time to find out there are negative reviews for this film - I thought I might be on my own with my opinion.

It does start off in a rather amusing fashion, the first seven minutes (which also include the starting credits) promise a funny spoof in the tradition of ZAZ films like "The Naked Gun". But then the realisation hit me that there is a major difference between ZAZ films and "Der Wixxer": In a ZAZ film much of the slapstick will happen in the background, something which does not necessarily have to be noticed the first time you watch the film but which is funny nevertheless. If Leslie Nielsen falls down some stairs the focus will stay on his partner who does not notice what's happening - the spectator can laugh at the slapstick without being drawn away from the main scene. With "Der Wixxer" you have similar hilarious elements being pushed right in your face - instead of rounding off a funny scene these elements get stretched (very thin) to become scenes of their own.

*** Mild Spoiler *** For example a butler looking like Hitler dancing to David Hasselhoff's "Looking for Freedom" acts as a brilliant intermission from the Chief Inspector's verbal brawl with the main suspect. But to show him dancing for more than 30 seconds takes the fun out off the idea and makes it tedious to watch. Peter Griffin in "Family Guy" can pull off a stunt like this - unfortunately it did not work in "Der Wixxer" *** End of Mild Spoiler ***

To sum it up I can only say: some genuinely funny ideas - but unfortunately not enough for a really funny film.

Funny but not great

Author: nickhantke from Würzburg, Germany
23 May 2004

This movie makes fun of all the Edgar Wallace movies and some others like E.T. (again, guess which scene) or Silence of the lambs. But you notice that the authors really loved those movies and are able to pick out all the typical things that make these movies great. The actors are great especially Bastian Pastefka (who got extremely fat) and Hatler. The jokes vary from great to autsch but especially the first half hour is extremely entertaining. I thought by that now the Hitler-jokes would get old (all those brits faking a German accent - and doing it rather bad by the way) but here it is very well done with the butler Hatler. All in all good entertainment and a few memorable scenes and Jokes. 6 out of 10.

A painful embarrassment

Author: Thom-Peters from Germany
22 August 2006

Do you have an "Uncle Joe" who always tells very dated and unfunny jokes and laughs a lot about them? Think of a meeting of a dozen of "Uncle Joes" ... Wouldn't you rather be anywhere else? I bet you would. I've been there, I've seen the movie "Der Wixxer", and it's been torture. The movie starts with a warning itself, with a scene featuring Anke Engelke, and therefore with something that's far worse than just bad acting. It will already make you feel sorry for everyone involved in this project. If you'd ignore this warning - you shouldn't! - you'd see a parody of the Edgar Wallace series, very low budget - well: cheap - German crime movies from the early 60ies that still get some admiration for their tackiness and camp value. Would anybody care to see a parody of "Plan Nine From Outer Space"? They've thrown in some jokes in the antique "Zucker"-style, references to the German TV, even an especially pointless one to "Silence of the lambs". There are lots of jokes, but they are all of the "Uncle Joe" variety.

The sad thing about this is that some of the actors have shown real talent and humor in German comedy shows. Must have been the writers and directors fault then. Oliver Kalkofe, whose impression of an actor playing an inspector is simply ridiculous, has his own TV show, in which he's doing parodies on remarkably inane TV moments. Sometimes it's very clever and extremely funny, sometimes he's just insulting those involved as "stupid" and "brainless". Those people will love this movie, where Kalkofe doesn't only play the leading role, but has also co-written the script. Whatever they've done, this is worse. It's not unintentionally funny, but unintentionally unfunny.

Not a bad movie but could be better

Author: gigaclaw from Germany
5 June 2005

This movie starts really great and you think that this one will be one of the best funny movies ever seen. Unfortunately it becomes more and more boring as longer it is watched. Kalkofe is great, Pastevka too. Some jokes are really funny. I was laughing when the butler looking like Hitler opens the door and says "I can be your leader" and the Lord says "No thanks not this time". Some jokes are nice, some are foolish, like in every comedy movie.I liked it to watch Oliver Kalkofe playing a police-officer who has lost his best friend in a police-mission. He is not a bad actor. So I would say to me its 7/10 points because it is worth to watch it one time.

I LOVED IT! Kalkofe truly rules!

Author: n3d from Hamburg
4 July 2004

I went to the cinema in the first week playing and left the absolutely crowded cinema with a smile on my face. The humor is much different to what others might consider funny, such as "Schuh des Manitu" didn't have any success outside Germany. Everybody at the movies laughed most of the time, the characters were the opposite of what was expected...and the best: only the worst jokes were shown in the promotion trailers. If you came for "usual" comedy or braindead jokes like US comedy you were in the wrong place. The Hitler-impersonator being the best example: Everywhere else Hitler would have been a tiny man fulfilling international stereotypes while "Der Wixxer" took a deep look into the psychic worlds of a Hitler today.

Very stylish

Author: nina_glyndwr from Düsseldorf Germany
28 May 2004

I did enjoy this film a lot. It's a very stylish parody of many different films and types of film, including The Matrix, The Silence of the Lambs, westerns, film noir - especially the Edgar Wallace black-and-white films.

I liked the gags - even some of the more puerile ones - and there were a few twists and turns in the plot, too. I'd even consider going to see it a second time.

The acting was well done, the scenes were well set up and the casting was great, too. I was quite impressed with the opening credits. The only criticism I have is that the out-takes during the end credits weren't as funny as those in Jackie Chan films.

Catching the man with the skull mask

Author: Thomas ( from Berlin, Germany
20 May 2015

Today exactly 11 years ago, this movie was released. And looking at the cast, Kalkofe, Dittrich, Pastewka, Welke, Engelke and Herbst are probably today even more popular than they were back then. Great cast, the only one of these that I do not really find funny is Welke. But there are also established actors away from the comedy genre in here, such as Fritsch, Heinze, Monot and Boettcher, who played in some of the original Edgar Wallace movies from the 1960s that this film is a parody of. But it is a parody of a lot more. There are several James Bond references included too (Lotte Lenyas final scene is spoofed, Miss Moneypenny too), also many contemporary references about casting shows and just so many movie references in general ("E.T." etc.) In my opinion, this is for the most part a very funny movie. Sometimes there are fart references, or penis size jokes, which aren't too funny, or also Pastewka's Indian character becomes repetitive and unfunny, but for most of the time, the jokes are fairly witty. I am a great fan of Kalkofe's Mattscheibe (Rekalked) and his approach to comedy is exactly my cup of tea. I won't mention too many of the funny scenes as this would easily surpass the character limit for this review, but one of my favorites was how Holger Speckhahn and the Wildecker Herzbuben were sitting at the villain roundtable. So random. Hilarious stuff.

What would I change about the movie? Maybe switch Tanja Wenzel for a better actress, but then again the actresses in these old Wallace movies were mostly only included for their looks and not for their range right? So it sort of fits the bill again. Another thing i really did like was Engelke's song going with the closing credits. Such a catchy tune. Awesome. Three years after this film, a sequel (check out this page for my upcoming review) came out and I read that a third film is planned for 2016 or 2017. Until then, you can head to theaters right now and watch director Tobi Baumann's newest movie. It also has Pastewka (his voice) and Engelke in it again. I read it is a bit of a Ghostbuster spoof and pretty funny, also for children. Back to this film here, I certainly recommend it. Kalkofe, Welke and Pastewka did a good job with the script. I believe by now it is probably far more popular than the movies of which it is a parody.

to me a most funny & lovely hommage!

Author: DerWixxer from Waiblingen, Germany
27 May 2004

I also can only recommend this movie - not only to fans of the (main) actors but even more to those who love the old Edgar Wallace-movies.

I think that several jokes cannot fully be understood without knowing them - the criminal Kermit itself is a hit but the joke works even better when you know the original movie-title "Der Frosch mit der Maske" (The Frog With The Mask). What also pleased me very much was how some of the original characters have been imitated - behind Smeerlap I always saw Klaus Kinski,

Oliver Kalkofe is a perfect mixture of Joachim Fuchsberger and Heinz Drache and Bastian Pastewka spreads the same charme as his "original" Eddie Aren't.

This is not just kiddin' the old movies (as less as "Der Schuh des Manitu" is just kiddin' Winnetou, even if Pierre Brice still hasn't perceived it yet) - for me it is a loving hommage to these old movies.

And more over I'm glad to see that good German comedy is rare, indeed, but not dead!

Once there was a movie "Der Hexer", now there's "Der Wixxer". And once there was a movie "Neues vom Hexer" - can we expect "Neues vom Wixxer"? I would appreciate it very much!