IMDb > The Life of Larry (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Life of Larry More at IMDbPro »

Watch this if you can...

Author: Adam (ahl0003)
3 August 2003

Any fan of the Family Guy should bribe, coerce, threaten, maim, please, plead and generally do whatever is necessary to get a chance to see this. Some excerpts have made it into the Family Guy, but the unfettered imagination of a 22 year old kid isn't always fit for TV.

A rough draft to the Masterpiece - the life of larry to Family Guy

Author: MairegChernet (mchernet15@gmail.com) from United States
17 March 2008

I am a family guy fanatic and as a family guy fanatic i have gone after Seth Macfarlane's other works such as American Dad! and the winner. and what i found a couple of weeks ago is a 10 minute long short animation called the life of larry.

the life of larry is hysterical, i can see where family guy gets its charms. the family guy characters are intended to be replicas of those of life of larry's characters.

all you family guy fans out there, see the life of larry and witness that family guy is indeed not a rip off from the simpsons but a charming replica of seth macfarlane's own work.

More like "The Life of Seth"

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
9 December 2016

"The Life of Larry" is a 10-minute short film from 1995, so this mix of live action and animation is already over 20 years old. And as this was made less than five years before the first episode of "Family Guy", you realize how long this show has been on the air already. But back to this one here: The writer and director is Oscar nominee Seth MacFarlane and you can easily see this film as a very rough very early version of "Family Guy". The humor is exactly the same, the wife's name is Lois, there is a fairly smart dog next to Larry and the one scene when we see Larry's son, he looks a lot like Peter Griffin's son. But I still did not enjoy the watch here despite being a Family Guy fan. MacFarlane's sequences are annoying really as he's playing a character so full of himself (while only in his early 20s) and it's really not funny at all. The animated scenes are better, but, in terms of comedy, also miles away from "Family Guy" still. The humor is on American phenomenons like "Jeopardy", "Star Trek", Newt Gingrich and these elements are combined with brain surgery, diarrhea, farting and more obscene stuff. If this film needed to be made for Family Guy to exist, than I can live with that, but I would not really recommend the watch. Thumbs down from me and I am actually glad this did not even run for the duration of half a Family Guy episode.