IMDb > The Cat in the Hat (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Cat in the Hat

The Cat in the Hat More at IMDbPro »

Yuk!- Most tasteless children movie ever made

Author: kaph from Quebec, Canada
23 November 2003

The producers had all the ingredients to make a charming, amusing and memorable children's movie and opted instead for a stupid, tasteless script and plot comprised of every crude and vulgar joke you can think of. If Hollywood thinks that this is what kids or adults find funny, they have a very low opinion of the moviegoing public. As a classic movie buff in my 20s, I usually avoid contemporary movies as I find them totally devoid of any charm, decency or subtlety - I thought I could not go wrong with a film based on a famous and beloved character, but I was in for a bitter disillusionment. Mike Mayers as the cat is irritating, one-notey and unappealing and spends the whole time giving a bad and incompetent imitation of Bert Lahr's Cowardly Lion from The Wizard of Oz. There is not a single funny joke throughout and if the cat's ideas are supposed to be the answer of how to have a good time at home, it gives one quite a clue as to the screenwriters total lack of inspiration. Any 7 year old could have given them more original and fun ideas. The songs and musical numbers are an ordeal to sit through and the plot is non-existent, just a succession of distasteful situations and gross jokes seemingly put together just to fill up some time. You get the feeling you are watching a poorly extended short feature that was initially meant to last no more than 8 minutes. Any well brought up kid will be offended by the bad substitutes for humor. And I doubt very much that the disgusting, moronic gags are any adult's idea of "funny". What a shame such potential was butchered like this. This is the first time I have ever written a negative review, but there is simply no redeeming grace in that one. If you want a genuinely funny and enchanting film about magical characters helping children to find themselves, go back to MARY POPPINS or THE WIZARD OF OZ!