IMDb > The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

The Curse of the Were-Rabbit More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 31: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Cracking film

Author: chrishart94
28 September 2015

The lovable duo Wallace & Gromit got their first big screen outing in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit. The point was always going to be on how they could stretch the successful shorts into film length and I'm pleased to say that I think they do a fantastic job by keeping much of the same formula that was present in the original shorts. The eccentric characters and subtle humour remain at the forefront thankfully, while Wallace is still an endearingly unconventional inventor and his mute dog Gromit acts as the perfect straight-man. I feel that putting the characters in a film length piece is a logical progression compared to a lot of other TV based shows or series.

The plot mixes the zaniness of the shorts with an effective comedic horror approach. In it our title characters run their own humane pest-control company named Anti-Pesto and find themselves overrun with issues involving rabbits in the run up to the village vegetable competition. Suddenly a large beast starts eating the locals' crops, Anti-Pesto look to stop it and Wallace aims to win the affection of Lady Tottington by doing so. It's a fun little plot that knows just when to play up the comedy and when to just let things breathe for a minute. There is a nice twist that may be a little predictable for some people, but for what the story is it offers plenty of laughs and appropriate touches of mystery.

In a storyline such as this good characters are crucial and that is what we get. Wallace (Peter Sallis) is as quirky as ever, enjoying his cheese and bizarre inventions. He also gets plenty of funny lines, ''with a big trap'' being particularly amusing. Gromit is still enjoyably brainy and slightly sardonic, while it always impresses me how much personality they get from just his expressions and movements. Lady Tottington is a little bland on the whole, but she does have some fun scenes with Wallace. Victor (an enjoyably hammy Ralph Fiennes) isn't as creative or sinister a villain as his predecessors, but he is good fun. His snooty nature makes you want to dislike him and he gets his fair share of funny lines too. I also really like the local villagers, especially the quick to panic Reverend who is hilarious, and most of their lines are witty as well as memorable.

Claymation is always difficult to do and takes a great deal of time, so it is incredibly easy to admire the amount of work that has gone into the films look. There are also a higher number of locations and characters used than ever before. As said I think the comedy in the film is done really well and it fits in with the originals humour as well as being able to appeal to many people. There are a lot of lines that are memorable for how strange or whacky they are, but there's also a number of great references to other films or works of fiction that are usually smart and understated. The climax is excellent and really delivers on the thrills as well as the laughs. The score (provided by Julian Nott) is very good and brings plenty of excitement to certain scenes, while it's always great to hear the fantastic main theme.

It's difficult to find a fault with The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, in that it is pretty much what you would want from a Wallace & Gromit film. It does add more characters and a wider variety of jokes, but it hasn't forgotten its roots or what made it so entertaining in the first place. It remembers that people were drawn to the unusual characters and the funny situations. It's easy to appreciate the effort that Aardman have put into the film and it's always great to see characters that have become almost iconic on the big screen.

Claymation Excellence.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
15 September 2015

Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005): Dir: Nick Park, Steve Box / Voices: Ralph Fiennes, Helena Bonham Carter, Peter Sallis, Peter Kay, Nicholas Smith: From the creators of Chicken Run comes this amusing and often funny claymation about fear and confusion. Wallace and his smart dog Gromit own a pest control company. The giant vegetable competition is upcoming but a strange beast is destroying the crops. Directors Nick Park and Steve Box are backed with a clever screenplay. Peter Sallis voices Wallace who is an inventor out to solve a problem regarding rabbits only to have it backfire. Gromit is his faithful dog who suspects more than what is floating on the surface. He will also be instrumental in solving the plot problem. Other roles are mainly standard issue although certain voice talents help. Ralph Fiennes voices the antagonist whose scheme will reverse on itself, and Helena Bonham Carter voices what will become the potential love interest, but in the mean time she heads the festival and witnesses the havoc. Other characters are flat and pale in comparison to the two lead heroes. While this is easily another creative claymation wonder, it doesn't quite achieve the level of success of Chicken Run and its clever references to prison films It does succeed in dealing with a less adult subject matter than film, with its warped references to what one creates. Score: 9 / 10

Great Movie

Author: Joel Werner (joelwerner10) from United States
25 June 2015

It's incredible what these guys are able to do with claymation. It is a fantastic- looking film. The claymation is beautiful.

But more than that, it is very, very funny. It is more than a usual comedy. It has great jokes as well as visual comedy. The comedy is perfect for all ages. You can watch it when you're young, and then watch it years later and realize all of the jokes you missed.

And finally, is a very well-acted, and well-written film. The voice-acting is great, the writing of the jokes as well as the plot is absolutely wonderful. The story, concept, and humor are nearly perfect.

It is a great film and one of the best animated pictures ever.

Oh ho ho, cracking job, Aardman!

Author: Scott LeBrun (Hey_Sweden) from Canada
2 May 2015

Zany, delightful, appealing horror spoof chronicling the feature length adventures of Wallace (voice of Peter Sallis), our beloved cheese obsessed gadget creator, and his faithful dog Gromit. Here, Wallace & Gromit operate a company called Anti-Pesto, which disposes of pests such as rabbits in humane ways. Seeking to curb the destructive nature of rabbits, Wallace tries out his new mind control invention. You guessed it: he creates a monster, but not in the way that you might think.

The uniquely British humour of this upbeat, energetic animated feature is in full bloom. These characters are completely endearing and played to the hilt by a peerless cast. Sallis is wonderful as the voices of both Wallace and Hutch. Helena Bonham Carter voices a potential love interest for Wallace, the regal Lady Tottington who wants to rid her land of critters without harming them. Ralph Fiennes is hilarious as Victor Quartermaine, the obnoxious jerk who thinks *he's* going to marry Lady Tottington. And of course there's the lovable Gromit, who's at his most priceless reacting to other characters, particularly Wallace, as he rolls his eyes, does a facepalm, and shakes his head.

Top notch clay animation and deliciously goofy character designs combine in this superior bit of entertainment that can appeal to both older and younger viewers.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I fancy a bit of cheese...

Eight out of 10.

Good entertainment

Author: grantss from Sydney, Australia
7 April 2015

Good entertainment.

Charming animated movie, one of the many in the Wallace and Gromit series of movies and TV episodes. Sweet story, with good action and great animation.

In a world where good CGI is a given, thanks to technological advances, the animation in Wallace and Gromit movies and TV episodes is brilliant and second-to-none.

Good voice castings, with Helena Bonham Carter and Ralph Fiennes joining Peter Sallis (Wallace).

Good fun, ideal for the whole family.

Ignore the haters

Author: dc_cook from Istanbul
30 January 2015

The first half of this film is brilliant. The animation is predictably stunning, Fiennes and Bonham Carter are outstanding and the story develops seamlessly. The Vicar, who benefits from some exceptional screen writing, is especially brilliant.

The second half lacks the subtlety and skill of the first half, turning instead to 'crowd pleasing' action and clichés, much like 'A Close Shave' or the more recent short film.

Nevertheless, whether or not you are familiar with the shorts I highly recommend this great animated comedy, particularly for families or as a light film for a date night.

Wallace and Gromit against all...

Author: Thanos Alfie from Greece
27 January 2015

"The Curse of the Were-Rabbit" is an Animation movie in which we watch Wallace and his loyal dog, Gromit who are trying to solve the mystery of garden sabotage which threatens the annual giant vegetable growing contest. Also we observe Wallace and Victor Quartermaine fight for the love of Lady Campanula Tottington.

I liked this movie because it's a different kind of Animation movies that we watch nowadays and the plot of it's really good. Also about the cast it has to be mentioned that Peter Sallis (Wallace and Hutch) and Ralph Fiennes (Victor Quartermaine) voices were really one of the best selections for this movie characters and I believe that they really fit on them. Also the voice of Helena Bonham Carter who "played" as Lady Campanula Tottington was equally good selection.

Finally I have to say that "The Curse of the Were-Rabbit" is a must see movie for Animation fans and I believe that from this movie we can gain many things.

Good Stuff

Author: gavin6942 from United States
14 January 2015

Wallace and his loyal dog, Gromit, set out to discover the mystery behind the garden sabotage that plagues their village and threatens the annual giant vegetable growing contest.

This is a film that is both good and bad. Fans of Wallace, Gromit and Nick Park will probably enjoy it. The time and effort that goes into this kind of animation is unbelievable. Is it harder than hand-drawing? Maybe, maybe not... but everything has to be just right, which makes it seem like more of a process than the computer animation of today (2015).

But the story is not that great, or at least not as memorable. Today, "Wrong Trousers" and "Chicken Run" are something of modern classics, but "Were Rabbit" has been more or less forgotten. A huge splash in 2005-2006, perhaps, but only decreasing in popularity since. Unfortunate, really, given the great voice talent (Helena Bonham Carter, Ralph Fiennes) involved.

........It's absolutely AMAZING.

Author: The_Riddler_1948
17 July 2014

I went and seen Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit in cinemas when it came out and I was only a kid. I absolutely loved every- single-moment of it and after seeing it, for a while, I was obsessed with all things Wallace and Gromit. The animation's fantastic, it really is brilliant. All the play-doh and arts coming to life on the big screen - it makes you wonder how talented these people really are.

It's fun for the entire family, it has laughs, good moments, good voice- acting, etc. It's the real-deal and I love it. If you've not yet seen it, you might want to, as it's a fantastic film and you'll love every moment of it, I guarantee you.

Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit deserves a 10/10 from me, a rather gift for all movie-loving, animated-praising people. No disappointment at all.

Family film for everyone

Author: SnoopyStyle
14 September 2013

Wallace and Gromit are back. This time they are in pest control. The big pest they are taking care of it in this vegetable obsessed town is rabbit. The two friends in their humane pest-control outfit "Anti-Pesto" have one big problem. What to do with all the rabbits? Using a mind transfer contraption, Wallace hope to brainwash the rabbits to not eat vegetables. Instead he creates something much much worst.

The story is quite fun and watchable. You don't have to be a fan to like this. The jokes work very well. That's quite a few big laughs. It still has the same sense of humor as before. This is truly a family film for everyone.