IMDb > The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

The Curse of the Were-Rabbit More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 30: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

I _do_ love a bit of brilliant animation...

Author: michaeljsouth from Cary, NC
22 December 2005

Just returned from taking the family to see this movie. Absolutely beautiful. Packed with action, laughs, references to previous W&G's, etc. The kids were commenting while we were still in the movie what a great movie it was. It's a true return to the original heart and soul of Wallace and Gromit, with a sense that they've only gotten better at it in the intervening time.

The fact that you can see the fingerprints on the characters, the beautifully expressive faces, the visual puns (they really outdid themselves in that department this time)--it just doesn't miss a beat from beginning to end.

Characters like Wallace and Gromit really earn a place in peoples' hearts, and it's always a bit nerve-wracking for me wondering whether the new material that is produced will live up to the extremely high hopes I (and, surely, thousands or millions of others) have for the characters that we feel such a connection to.

Thanks to Aardman for caring enough to put out another one that lives up to what seems to me the impossibly high standard they've set for themselves.

A Nutshell Review: Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
11 December 2005

In one word: Excellent! I'm a sucker for stop-motion animation, and this movie takes the cake. For the uninitiated, Wallace & Gromit tells the tale of a wacky inventor and his faithful dog, who is a highly intelligent mutt that can walk on his hind legs and operate various contraptions.

In the Curse of the Were-Rabbit, Wallace & Gromit protect the town's annual vegetable growing contest by ridding the town's rabbit problem (oh, so cute, you wanna give them a carrot to chew on). However, their humane techniques of capturing these critters, especially the loads from Lady Tottington (Helena Bonham Carter, straight from another stop motion pic The Corpse Bride), led them to a storage problem.

Wallace comes up with a hare-brained (pardon the pun) idea of brainwashing the rabbits into becoming non-vegetarians led to a mysterious appearance of a king-sized rabbit haunting the populace, and it's up to our favourite man-dog team to return things back to normal, while fending off the competition from a certain Victor Quartermaine (Ralph Fiennes), a poke at a certain Alan Quartermaine.

While the storyline's pretty straightforward, and the mystery of the Were-Rabbit would've been a non-event for most moviegoers, what makes this movie enjoyable is the intricate details of the plasticine used in making the characters and town come alive. What works is not pretending to tell a very intelligent story, but one that is simple, accessible and therefore, entertaining. And THE character that steals the show is Gromit, given quite a bit of screen time and involved in pretty much all the action sequences. Kudos too to the filmmakers for refusing to budge to recast the voice of Wallace.

You must watch this, and I'd give it thumbs up as the animation of the year contender!

P.S. attached to this picture is a short clip from the Penguins of Madagascar. I thought it was pretty hilarious too, and those dudes certainly deserve a picture of their own.

A must see for all animation lovers!

Author: jenz454 from United Kingdom
2 November 2005

A wonderful and colourful animation that gripped the nation...the duo strikes back! Wallace and Gromit is an enjoyable, family film, and is a must see for animation lovers everywhere and for everyone who has watched and enjoyed the first three films. It is the daddy of animation with more heat and adventure. Filled with more humour and laughter, this film delivers outstanding workmanship with such greater specific detail to each character. With much more controlled effects and models, it really brought to life the characters of Wallace and Gromit, while still keeping the original look of the previous films. With an outstanding and bubbly storyline, it captured the nations hearts and is well worth watching.

What a GRAND movie!

Author: judy_barbour from NearGreensboroNC
31 October 2005

We (two mature adults) saw Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit yesterday. All the other adults in the theater had at least one kid in tow. Most of these kids began laughing early on, but it was the ADULTS who were in stitches most often! It is just amazing to watch the action and try to remember that the "actors" are plasticine. Gromet gets the vote for "Best Movie Dog" ever. Be sure to listen and watch carefully...there are numerous jokes and sight gags popping up in the dialog and the background. We especially hooted at the label on the old cardboard box Wallace is forced to don late in film. We are huge Nick Parks' fans, and this movie just augmented our deep affection for his work. Go see Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit ASAP. Four adult thumbs HIGH up!

An amazing venture into the feature film world!!!!

Author: S Cooke from United Kingdom
26 October 2005

What a wonderful film. I was concerned that W&G were better suited to the 30 minute shorts they were originally restricted to, mainly by time to produce constraints. That is exactly what was the case, RESTRICTED to the shorts because in the 80+ minutes this lasts, you are taken on a meticulously constructed, lovingly created tail!!(sic) The film is scary for very young 'uns but more than funny enough for older kids and actually even funnier for adults with a mound of in-jokes and little snippets of one-liners and observational comedy that you may only pick up everything in the film after a few viewings. Superb and well worth the wait, I have been following the progress of this since Chicken Run (2000) and was not disappointed. I would say bring on the sequel but that might be selfish as the sequel would have to be VERY special to just sit alongside this masterpiece. Well done aardman and dreamworks! Thankyou.

Wallace and Gromit's Grandest Day Out

Author: EmperorNortonII from San Francisco, California
26 October 2005

Aardman Animation Studio's "Wallace & Gromit" feature, "The Curse of the Were-Rabbit" was five years in the making. Now that it's finally here, everyone who sees it will agree, it was well worth the wait! The beloved duo is back again: Wallace, the flaky cheese-loving inventor, and his brilliant dog Gromit, have a new business. They run a humane service to rid gardens of pests. But Wallace's attempts at scientific rehab of rabbits causes him to create a monster. The movie shows the charm and humor we've come to expect from Nick Park. There are lots of sight gags to keep the eyes busy. The humor appeals to all ages (although a few Benny Hill-type gags are more for adults). In the end, it's another triumph for Nick Park and his creations.

Almost everything we could have hoped for

Author: Psi from Northern Ireland
24 October 2005

With so much computer animation around today, Nick Park and his clay figure movers at Aardman were bound to find it difficult to prove themselves in the cinematic world. Nevertheless they managed it five years ago with Chicken Run - a great escape inspired romp that, while entertaining, seemed just a bit too bland and mainstream. And it lacked something.

Or should I say some THINGS? Two things, in fact. Two characters. Yes, after five years in the making, Aardman have finally brought the names that truly put them on the map, Wallace & Gromit, and placed them in a cinema near you. And the result is everything you could hope for. Well, almost everything...the plot isn't particularly strong or unique (you will be reminded of King Kong, An American Werewolf In London and The Hulk, among others). Additionally, the humour doesn't seem to be quite as cutting edge as it was in the Wallace and Gromit short films. But the film does keep you completely involved from beginning to end, with the extended running time passing rather quickly. So yes, it can be said that the transition from small screen to big one has been a success, despite those aforementioned minor complaints.

Anyway... (minor spoiler warning in the next paragraph) Our heroes now run a critter-trapping business, Anti-Pesto. Wallace (voiced by Peter Sallis, as always) and Gromit have the unenviable job of keeping rabbits away from their owner's vegetables. With a vegetable competition in the town soon, business is blooming. It'll bloom even more now that Lady Tottington (an unrecognisable Helena Bonham Carter) has a rabbit problem that even Wallace and Gromit seem incapable of dealing with. But they do, much to chagrin of Tottington's fiancée Lord Victor Quartermaine (Ralph Fiennes in full on snide and ruthless mode) who believes killing them is the best solution. (Reminds you of at least one of Fiennes' characters, doesn't it?) However Wallace has come up with an ingenious invention that will stop the rabbits thinking about eating any vegetables. Some kind of mind manipulation machine, as he puts it. Great idea, sure, but a minor mistake results in the creation of the dreaded Were-Rabbit. Cue trouble.

What the film lacks in thematic depth it makes up for in good all round entertainment value. Chicken Run showed us that claymation could be visually astounding, but The Curse Of The Were Rabbit is even more impressive to look at. Not that you get much of a chance when the plot picks up the pace, however. For the shorts had the amazing ability to create tense sequences and mix them with fascinating scenes & fine jokes, some more subtle than others. You want those? Well, you've got them. There's even elements of pathos and romance (just like there were in The Wrong Trousers and A Close Shave) and wisely, the filmmakers do not overplay them. Any audience members who haven't seen the shorts stand a very good chance of being won over by what they see here.

I really do think that The Curse Of The Were Rabbit, or any Wallace & Gromit short for that matter, is impossible to dislike in the slightest. If this isn't a huge hit already, it will be, and deservedly so.

Rating: 8/10

Funniest film of the year, what a treat!

Author: alfiemoviegoer from England
24 October 2005

I can't really add to what has been said before, superb animation, great plot, nice suspense, wonderful modelling etc. etc.

However I couldn't understand why anyone would give this film a 1 rating. So I read through the comments. I really don't understand how you cannot make jokes about religion in a film, how you can believe some of the jokes in COTWR are too sexy for a U film, or how on earth you can take a 4 year old to a cinema and then blame the film because the 4 year old is badly behaved!

In the cinema I was in the audience was noisy during the ads, bludgeoned into silence for the Penguin short and then noisy again during the changeover. During the 85 minutes of COTWR the only sounds from the audience, which was about 2/3rds kids, was laughter, giggles and enjoyment.

Ignore the moaners - GO AND SEE THIS FILM!!!!!!

Good old Wallace and Gromit are back again

Author: adam-blackley from Belgium
24 October 2005

A very solid and enjoyable feature film for the British pair. I do think that the feature format is a bit too long for this type of film - I could feel some slight struggles in terms of holding the audience's attention, and do we really need a five-minute long session with the vicar? But when all is said and done, this is Wallace and Gromit, and every frame is filled with care and attention to detail - a joy to watch, and such a relief that Jeff Katzenberg hasn't tweaked our lovable British pair out of all recognition - he has understood that the humour needs to stem from the Britishness of it all. Gromit provides the most comedy, as usual, but the story of the rabbits works fairly well, although just how far can they stretch the Wallace-as-an-inventor element - particularly with the ridiculous "brain-altering" invention. But these weaknesses can be easily forgiven as we settle back and let the familiar theme wash over us as we enjoy the well-thumbed Plasticine master and his dog - preferably with a nice hot cup of tea and some Wendsleydale cheese on a Jacobs cream cracker. Ahhhh.

My second favorite animated movie

Author: (jvpeters) from somewhere
21 October 2005

This is one of the best movies ever made. It's funny, fresh, creative, and above all Wallace and Grommit. I'm not a humungous fan of animated films but every once in a while a good one comes along. (eg. The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Shrek, Corpse Bride.) My favorite animated movie ever would have to be Alladin. Nothing will ever top that. But Wallace and Grommit: The Curse of the Wererabbit comes close. I'd have to say that Quartermaine was probably one of the most annoying characters ever (which is sad because Ralph Fiennes is usually fantastic a.k.a. Schindler's List) but he does little to take away from this gem in the pile of sand that is film making today. Go to see this movie it's one of the best ever. There are some underlying adult themes but they will fly right past children who deffenately should be brought to see this movie. The funniest thing in this movie is probably Hutch the Rabbit. Go and see this it isn't a wasted $5.25