IMDb > The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

The Curse of the Were-Rabbit More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 31: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Crakling good!

Author: jonna-s1 from United States
3 March 2012

Being a "Wallace and Gromit-fan", I was looking forward for this full-length movie. Surprisingly I saw it at THE world-premiere in Vlissingen (NL), at the Film by the Sea festival. A wonderful feeling to be one of the first to see this very amusing and merry movie. It's about Wallace and Gromit (whom I believe don't need an introduction) having their own pest-control company in the city which is hosting a giant-vegetable contest in a few days. Everyone, including an eccentric baroness, is hoping his or her giant carrot or melon will win the Golden carrot. Unfortunately the town is plagued by lots of hungry rabbits. This is where W&G come in. The have their own cracking contraptions to control these cute creatures in a human way.

It's a very funny and colorful story. Anyone who liked the three proceeding short movies of W&G (which are more than great!), will love this full-length movie. Nick Park really delivered a wonderful and original result with a great sense for humor. Like in Chicken Run, it truly amazes me how he can capture so much story and emotions in just a few frames. "Job well done, lad" ;-) Oh yeah: The music was fantastic! It really completes the ride. Enjoy!

COool!

Author: Chris Austin (fortyfiveshooter) from Detroit, MI
11 February 2012

When Wallace and Gromit burst onto the scene in their academy award winning short, "A Grand Day Out," they created a fresh new look at claymation. After two more shorts, Aardman's dynamic duo returned for this thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining movie. It has an excellent Voice cast, humorous jokes and good animation as only Aardman could do! In this movie, Wallace and Gromit run "Anti-Pesto," a rabbit removal company. When word gets out about a "Were-Rabbit" eating all the vegetables in town, a frenzy ensues. Of course, Victor Quartermaine, the town's handsome, toupee-brandishing huntsman, wants to get his hands on the rabbit to impress the lovely Lady Tottington...but can our favorite Aardman duo save the day before chaos ensues? The jokes, I should say, were hilarious. One point, the villain, Victor Quartermaine's, booty-crack was showing, prompting a character to cry out: "BEWARE...THE MOON!!!" Vintage Aardman! The characters are crisp and hilarious. Our favorite Aardman team of Man and Dog entertains us as only they could do, earning them their second Oscar (remember "A Grand Day Out?"). Helena Bonham Carter was terrific as the lovely Lady Tottington, Wallace's love interest. Ralph Fiennes was especially funny and foreboding as the cunning, toupee wearing hunter Victor Quartermaine. But the one who really stole the show was the priest, whose antics proved to be some hilarious comic relief.

Hats off to Aardman for creating another Wallace and Gromit masterpiece!

Fun and Entertaining!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
11 February 2012

Wallace and Gromit is definitely a "horror" film all the kids will enjoy. The film is what is rare nowadays, a film that all ages could watch. I am happy they finally made a feature film on Wallace and Gromit. I have been a fan of all their shorts.

Wallace and Gromit are on a mission to save their town and vegetables from a monstrous vegetable-loving were-rabbit.

The voice work is pretty good. Ralph Fiennes certainly can be a villain even in an animated film. 2005 must be a good year for Helena Bonham Carter with her excellent voicework is both this and Corpse Bride.

Overall, this is a fun film for the family. Even though I am a grown man, I felt some chills watching this. I also have to say the rabbits are kind of cute. I rate this film 8/10.

Wallace and Gromit's first step into feature filmdom rises to the challenge

Author: Movie_Muse_Reviews from IL, USA
24 October 2011

The animation world's two best-kept secrets have always been Wallace and Gromit, and creator Nick Park continues to plant the evidence in the duo's first full-length feature, "Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit." Although the stop-motion shorts have won multiple Oscars and the concept seems better suited for more concise storytelling, the quick wit and charms remain along with that trademark tinge of horror.

"Were-Rabbit" follows Wallace and Gromit's latest business venture, Antipesto, a service that protects the prized vegetables of the town's residents from rabbits using Wallace's high-tech inventions.

Fans of the characters will be comforted to hear that Aardman Animation doesn't just reset to zero and reintroduce Wallace and Gromit for the sake of a new audience given that this is a feature. There's a definite sense of continuity, with Gromit putting Wallace on a diet because of his weakness for cheese, a problem that's gotten bad enough that Wallace no longer slips easily through his bedroom trap door and into the kitchen — his longest standing invention.

In this chapter, Wallace (Peter Sallis) finds himself in more trouble than usual and of course Gromit has to clean up the mess. The oddball inventor fancies the wealthy Lady Tottington (Helena Bonham Carter), host of the annual largest vegetable contest, whom he and Gromit help in regards to her rampant rabbit problem. In hopes of targeting her affection, Wallace tries to combine two of his inventions in a way that would allow him to brainwash rabbits into not wanting any produce. The experiment goes wrong, however, and soon a terrifying monster begins to devour the town's crops at night. If that weren't enough, the Lady's other suitor, Victor Quartermaine (voiced with lovable panache by Ralph Fiennes) poses another threat.

At times all of that is a bit much; the story does feel like a short film idea expanded into a feature and most of the twists are foreseeable. Although it doesn't have the same snap because certain sections drag, the craftsmanship and the execution never disappoints.

"Were-Rabbit" provides that expert blend of family adventure and horror that Aardman Animation has been known for. Like any expert creature feature, our gigantic beast is kept from the camera until the moment is perfect. The action sequences do not lack for excitement either thanks to creativity and the fact that they always give Gromit, cinema's most fiercely loyal canine, a chance to shine.

As technology has improved, so has the use of computer effects in this series. Yet for every digital enhancement, an impressive claymation detail grabs our attention. The vegetables in particular have a lifelike appearance, so much so that I wouldn't be surprised to learn that smaller replicas of vegetables were carved out of real ones for use in the film.

Yet the staple of the film, as has been the case with the previous shorts, remains the wit, the array of puns, the peripheral easter eggs and the tastefully crude jokes. A perfect family film slides those in without detracting from the entertainment value for children and "Wallace & Gromit" does just that.

~Steven C

Check out my site, moviemusereviews.com

Wallace finally hits the big screen...

Author: oneguyrambling from Australia
29 November 2010

A man and his loyal canine run a "friendly" pest removal company, their cosy existence is shattered upon the arrival of a giant "were-rabbit", who is wreaking a trail of destruction on the locals with the annual Giant Fruit & Veg contest looming...

Wallace & Gromit have been around for it seems forever, and their innocent adventures providing 25 minutes of entertainment to millions every few years when Nick Park saw fit to put together one of his painstaking hand made plasticine creations frame by frame.

The announcement of a film length version was music to the ears of many, (including me) and it doesn't disappoint. Given that it takes weeks to film every couple of minutes of screen time the creators have ample time to consider the minutest details, which can be seen by those who watch closely... and then rewatch it.

Some jokes will thankfully go over the head of the littlies, who will quite happily watch the bunnies and the clever doggie, but aside from Toy Story there really aren't as many adult-friendly moments in everything else on this list than there are in Wallace & Gromit.

What you hope kids will learn: I really don't think they set out to teach in these films.

What they'll take away: Wallace talks funny. And Gromit is very smart. And bunnies are very cute.

Gromit on the big screen

Author: studioAT from United Kingdom
5 September 2010

British institutions Wallace and Gromit make their big screen debut in this funny and charming film.

Full of all the heart and humour that made the characters and the original short films so popular this big screen adventure captures everything that made Wallace and Gromit so popular with the wit and in jokes that have become linked with the series coming thick and fast.

By adding nice new characters and more plot depth the film manages to move on at a fast pace carrying the audience along on our dynamic duos latest adventure.

Overall a fun family film that can be enjoyed by all.

Crackers about Wallace & Gromit!

Author: thesar-2 from United States
2 September 2010

What can I say about the Were-Rabbit than it was absolutely fabulous! There's not a single area I could zone in on that can be negatively criticized. For, it was enormously funny – Gromit always cracks me up and his mute but loud expressions always have me rolling, it was adventurous, inventive, had a great soundtrack and score and is simply great for the whole family. Not to mention the climax just goes on and on – and that's a good thing. You can't help but laugh and roll with the excitement simultaneously admiring the genius on what they did with what was around.

Wallace runs a anti-pest type company that the entire community relies on and on the side he craves cheese and inventions. Luckily for him, his faithful and thoroughly superior pet/friend, Gromit, keeps him in check for the most part.

With an outbreak of rabbits – hilariously portrayed by poor overworked Gromit, who humanely takes care of the captured "pests" – Wallace decides on de-veggie the rabbits. In an experiment gone wrong, a mutant rabbit now stalks the street.

Further, the town is terrorize much like the days of old werewolf movies, but in this case a gigantic rabbit beast that Wallace & Gromit try to capture to both save the city and their name. Meanwhile, Wallace is in pursuit of Lady Campanula Tottington who's also wooed by the sinister Victor Quartermaine.

Will they stop the Were-Rabbit and save the day? Spoiler Alert! It's a G-rated cartoon.

I don't want to go as far as to say you have to be a Wallace & Gromit or British humor fan, so I will say, regardless, this movie is excellent. There is absolutely no harm in taking a viewing to one of the most inventive movies I have ever seen. Especially with what happens in the background. SEE IT!

The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Author: random_avenger
29 August 2010

I fondly remember enjoying the Wallace and Gromit short films as a kid, namely A Grand Day Out and The Wrong Trousers, so I was excited to see how the clay-mation duo's first feature film would turn out and if the old charm would still be there. I sure wasn't disappointed; The Curse of the Were-Rabbit is just as charming as the previous W&G adventures.

When the story begins, there are only a few days left until the town's annual Giant Vegetable Competition, but the people's carefully grown contest entries are in danger of being eaten by the uncontrollable rabbit population of the region. Luckily the inventor Wallace and his loyal canine pal Gromit have started a humane pest control company that catches the rabbits and stores them in the basement of Wallace's house. However, due to an unfortunate mishap with a new invention, Wallace causes someone to unknowingly turn into a monstrous giant rabbit every night, endangering the whole contest. How can Gromit help Wallace to solve the situation before an obnoxious hunter called Victor finishes the rabbit off with a gold bullet?

The character design and the stop-motion animation look as charming as always, and the familiar charisma of Wallace and Gromit never ceases to charm. While Wallace is a talkative and bumbling slapstick comedy character that will surely appeal to kids, the silent Gromit makes an excellent pairing for him and communicates only through his melancholic and frustrated facial expressions and other non-verbal means, even echoing the silent era of filmmaking. Besides the eponymous protagonists, the other characters are well designed too, especially the lovable Lady Tottington who becomes the love interest for both Wallace and Victor. The white-haired Reverend Hedges and his collection of anti-were-rabbit equipment also deserve a mention for evoking memories of classic horror film pastors. In addition, the Were-Rabbit itself looks very funny, both cuddly and a little menacing at the same time.

The Reverend's character is not the only thing aimed at more mature audiences: there are references to literature and movies as well as jokes about Lady Tottington's "melons" and Wallace's "nuts" but such winks to older audience members never become too obvious like in some other family films I've seen. Even though hectic action scenes become more prominent towards the end of the story, they are well created and don't take too much of the runtime as I had worried. More of the humour stems from the relationships of the characters and Gromit's communication troubles with Wallace. The music by Julian Nott also belongs among the enjoyable details of the film; the familiar W&G theme keeps reappearing in the score in unexpected places and further provides more to spot for observant viewers.

I haven't seen the film in its original language, but I doubt the English voice acting would give reasons to complain. All in all, it can be said that The Curse of the Were-Rabbit is well worth the praise it's been getting. Old and new fans of the characters have no reason to miss it out, and I hope the series will be continued in the future as well.

A hilarious, exciting, thrilling Animated Masterpiece

Author: Red_Identity from United States
28 May 2009

Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbbit is quite simply extraordinary. It is one of the few films that really is very likable and perfect in every way. The stop-motion animation is incredible, the screenplay is clever and very funny. The voice-overs are really specially realistic and go with the story very well. The characters are hilarious and very touching. I love the gags, one-liners, and hidden humor in the film and the way the plot unfolds. I love the music, which was actually a stand-out in every way. The score was very good. The sound effects were flawless, and although I am very glad it won the Animated Feature Oscar it also deserved other nominations for the sound effects and it's brilliant screenplay. This is without a doubt one of my favorite animated films of all time. It truly is animation at the highest level. Do not miss this, truly an animated Masterpiece

Universal horror meets the house of Ealing?

Author: Spikeopath from United Kingdom
2 March 2009

Just a few days to go until the Tottington Giant Vegetable competition kicks off. The villagers are feeling good due to the excellent work of Anti-Pesto, the protection firm run by Wallace and his trusty pooch, Gromit. But when a beast known as the Were-Rabbit starts to ravage the vegetables, the duo must raise their game to defeat the ultimate enemy.

Brought to us by the considerable talents of Nick Park and Steve Box, this first full length feature film of the popular clay molded duo, delivers the fun and frivolity with carefree abandon. Tho funded by American Dreamworks Animation, Were-Rabbit is as British as you could get, the story leans heavily on Universal Monsters lore, but the setting and construction of the plot retains a truly British sensibility. The sight gags alone are worth watching the film for, but throw in the hilarious dialogue, the technical craft on offer {Nick Park currently owning three golden statues given to him by the academy} and a rip roaring ending, well it's an essential watch for anyone fond of animation and well crafted cinema. Hell!, they even manage to drop in a romantic sub-plot that benefits the picture, with often hilarious results courtesy of the scheming Victor Quartermaine {Ralph Fiennes}.

Cool dog, cool story, just a real flipping great family treat, aye it be great Gromit, it be great. 8.5/10