IMDb > Try Seventeen (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

A good movie.

Author: tbaa_andrea from USA
6 September 2005

Simply put, this was a good movie. It wasn't over the top, it wasn't over stated, there wasn't anything major motion picture about this movie. It was an independent film for crying out loud. Basically it was a wonderfully simplistic movie.

When I first went to buy it, the store I was at told me they didn't have it in stock, but to rent it before buying it anyway because they heard it was bad. So I rented it, and to my amazement, I found myself giggling at the characters and feeling for them at the same time. I'm 28 years old, yet I could still picture how I felt at 17. I was able to connect with the movie, and it was able to keep my attention. (unlike certain "Blockbuster MUST SEE thrillers" that I pay $9.00 to fall asleep at)

this film had a lot of flaws, yes. But none of them really underscored the enjoyment I got from watching the movie. Elijah Wood did a wonderful job in his role as the doe eyed young adult wannabe. Mandy Moore did a great job as the seductive woman, although she didn't LOOK old enough to fit the part in my opinion. Franka Potente was OK as Jane, although I felt she lacked a bit of emotion and chemistry with Elijah. I think she and Mandy Moore would have been better suited to switching roles. I think Mandy would have been a better Jane and Franka a better Lisa. Just my opinion.

One actor who I think will be a great star one day is Aaron Pearl (cowboy Brad) The only actor who shined in the scifi movie "Bloodsuckers", and is known to Stargate SG-1 fans as young General Hammond. That guy has some good talent. He just needs some bigger parts. (No I'm not a relative. I honestly think he's got some great talent. And he's pretty cute. Minus the handle bar mustache.) So Simple, sweet, not perfect, but not as bad as some people have been reviewing it. Definitely up there as one of my favorite movies.

Reaching the Maturity

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
11 October 2004

The seventeen years old newcomer in town Jones Dillon (Elijah Wood) drops out the university on his first day, after a problem with his roommate, and decides to rent an apartment in an old building. Jones pays one year rental at once for the 2B apartment and his only possessions are a trunk and a typewriter that belonged to his unknown father. Jones spends his time fantasizing his life, writing never-sent-letters to his absent father and discussing by phone his childhood and family problems with his alcoholic mother (Elizabeth Perkins), who lives in Texas. He becomes friend of a painter cowboy, who lives on the first floor, and of the aspiring actress Lisa (Mandy Moore), who lives in the apartment 2A on the same floor. Jones has a crush on the temperamental photographer Jane (Franka Potente), who lives in apartment 2C. After a car accident, Jones reaches the maturity and resolves the outstanding problems of his life. 'Try Seventeen' is a kind of love-hate movie. My wife, for example, just watched half of the story and gave-up to see the second part. I liked this film, about a young man leaving adolescence and finding his own path. The viewer has to keep in mind that Jones's neighbors are indeed Lisa and Jane, otherwise it would be very hard to believe that a guy would have Mandy Moore and Franka Potente available on the same floor. There is comedy, romance and drama in this sensitive story well directed by Jeffrey Porter. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): 'Era Tudo o Que Eu Queria' ('This Was Everything That I Wanted')

Respect and purpose.

Author: Cipher-J from USA
14 April 2004

This is a very sensitive and original `coming of age' film, centered around a seventeen-year-old boy seeking to find meaning in his life. His mom had been, in her youth, a self-absorbed, dope-smoking and thrill-seeking Bohemian, who fell for an equally superficial and pretentious pseudo-intellectual of the writer variety, and by the time he went out for a pack of cigarettes never to return, she had found herself pregnant. That would have been the end of her story had mom been a pauper, but her family had money, so by the time the story opens the son had been shuttled around through every prep-school in the country. He never knew his father, and what he knew about his mother was that she never grew up.

What little his mother would say about his father were myths, which he clings to desperately in this story. Had his father `really' been a writer? All he has for proof is an old typewriter, on which he tries to write letters to his father that are never mailed. The whereabouts of the father are not known. Estranged and alienated from his parents, he ends up in an apartment where he can begin to find himself through associations with others who have complicated stories of their own to share. Not surprisingly, he falls in love with an older woman who is much like his mother: self-absorbed and addicted to dysfunctional relationships. Almost as though to redeem his mother through the woman, he tries to prove himself the better man to her, in contrast to the slick and quick former boyfriend, with his leather clothes and hot guitar. He is a nice guy that wants to finish better, not last. It is a very mature and well-crafted story.

Could not have enjoyed it more!

Author: countrugensmom from Tampa, Florida
8 August 2004

I could not have enjoyed this movie more. To watch a young man of great intelligence and humor but woefully lacking in social graces find his place in the world was a joy. The coming of age angst was a trip down memory lane for me. I related to way too much of the film for my own comfort. The apartment building and it's eclectic band of residents left me wondering, "Are there any vacancies?" Seeing Jones' journey into manhood was a priceless trip. As he faces his demons and the failings in those around him he begins to discover the meaning of his life. His practicing of opening the wine bottles was hilarious. Who here hasn't practiced looking cool? Honestly? I have and his journey rang true. Elijah Wood is a truly gifted man. Once again he has become his character. Mandy Moore impressed me yet again in her fearless acceptance of roles that make her look like an idiot. The entire cast was well chosen.

Let me take this opportunity to mention that the scene where Jones loses his virginity is the hottest love scene I've witnessed since Mel Gibson and Piper Laurie's love scene in Tim. and that's saying something. I'm not sure what...but it's something. Very hot.

Beautiful, heartfelt film

Author: ~* Mandy *~ (SBLOMS) from Canada
10 February 2005

All I Want/Try Seventeen is a fresh, beautiful film about one young man's struggles as he travels along the bumpy path of growing up. This film was absolutely brilliant- the script, the way it was filmed, and especially the music all worked together to make it a refreshing change from the normal teen movies of today. Not to mention the acting- Elijah Wood did a wonderful job of portraying his character, Jones Dillon. He gave just the right amount of depth and feeling to his character without overacting. Hollywood could do with more young actors like Elijah Wood. He knows how to give a real, stirring, heartfelt performance and he give his all, which is apparent in this film. Equally good performances came from Mandy Moore and Franka Potente. If you remember what it's like to be around that age, on the brink of adulthood but not quite there yet, you will enjoy this film!

Nice

Author: Mr_Sensitive from THAILAND, BANGKOK
21 February 2005

Just like Orange County, this movie is about finding oneself at one of the most confusing and influential time of one life at seventeen at as the freshman.

A story of the boy drop out of collage on the first day to find something else in life, that is until he rent an apartment and befriend with the strange neighbors.

I say the movie will be very much enjoying by any body and some of them may even love it. Though the movie is quite slow, it is still flawless and thus did deliver pretty good amount of satisfaction. Overall, it is a good movie (though the movie lacks of some good moments to remember it by) and is recommended, especially Elijah fans.

Reason To Watch: · Just the cast alone (Elijah, Mandy and Franka.) would already sell this movie.

Reason Not To: · Weird to see Elijah and Franka together, · No Goods Kodak Moments, · Nothing much in the movie.

Rating: 6.5/10 (Grade: C+)

It's Completely Understandable

Author: Elwood_Cooper from London, Ontario
7 November 2004

Try Seventeen, or the title I bought the movie under, All I Want (I like try seventeen better) is a misunderstood story. I originally bought this movie because of Elijah Wood (he's very cute). I was seventeen at the time, and I totally understood this movie. It's about a boy trying to cope with life as he knows it. He tries to escape by pretending and lying about things, and not only to other people, but to himself. He put himself in imaginative situations where he would be the hero and everything would work out for him as he wanted it to. Oddly enough, I found myself daydreaming the same kind of scenerios, and I still often do. SO no, this movie isn't for everyone, but it is a very understandable storie if you open your mind to it. I related to it very well because I was sort of the same. So don't be close-minded about movies such as this!

Beautiful Portrayal of Teenage Pain

Author: ElijahJWoodFan from United States
8 March 2005

I loved this movie. The initial reason that I saw it was because I'm a huge Elijah Wood fan, but I would actually recommend it. The different characters and situations really mirror the pain that teenagers go through at critical times in their lives and Elijah does a great job as Jones, the main character. Not only did I enjoy Elijah Wood, but Mandy Moore and Franka Potente are great actresses. The chemistry between both Elijah and Mandy as well as Elijah and Franka makes for a great storyline. Yes, a lot of questions go unanswered, but I was very happy with the outcome of the plot. Also, Elijah does a great job in his very first on-screen sex scene. It is both beautiful and tasteful.

try17 or all i want?

Author: starseednaveed from England
6 March 2004

I have to admit,on first hearing about this film I wasn't too keen on it and was thinking that it was going to be one of those teenybopper films. When I actually saw this film for the first,I was amazed how it's really not how I thought.I was a good film.And the soundtrack,I must say,is pretty darn good too. The story line is easy enough to follow,even for me,and the characters are all simple and likeable. Just one thing bugs me.Why change the title to 'All I Want'?In the film,I'm pretty sure no one says the line 'All I Want',however when Jones talks to Brad,he says the line 'Try Seventeen'.It's a memorable line!Why change the title?It would be more memorable (and great) as 'Try Seventeen'. All in all,great film.See it.And hopefully,get the soundtrack!

*First ever comment

An original romantic comedy with an AMAZING Script!

Author: elchubbo99 (elchubbo99@hotmail.com) from Mississauga, Canada
12 September 2002

Faboulous! Easily one of the most original romantic comedy's I have seen in ages, TRY SEVENTEEN manages to side-step all the cheesy cliches usually inherent in this kind of film. Great dialogue is only one of the many praises I can heap upon the script. It's witty, intelligent, original, and not afraid to take chances with the audience. But the story is all the more richer for it. It never steps where you think it will, instead surprising the viewer with some scenarios we haven't seen before. Elijah Wood, Franka Potente, and OF COURSE, Mandy Moore are all perfectly cast for their individual parts, and they all play them with a wisdom and maturity far beyond their years. Everyone in attendance, from 16 to 60, seemed to love the refreshingly sweet yet slightly sour tone of the film. It managed to be engaging without being lewd or crude in anyway, and mainly because of that became accesible to virtually any age group and any audience that is open-minded enough to give it a shot. Packed with laughs, heartache, sex, and honesty, TRY SEVENTEEN succeds by showing us all the things that make life and love so inherently amazing and beautiful.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]