IMDb > Storm Watch (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Storm Watch More at IMDbPro »

Good Action/Sci Fi Thriller

Author: tabuno from utah
24 October 2002

Code Hunter (Storm Watch) is an above average (apparently direct to video) sci fi, cyber thriller reminiscent of War Games. It has an intelligent plot with a good twist, and has nice theatrical production values making it worthy of a release in theaters. Entertaining throughout with plenty of activity going on (borrowing from a number of movie plots and themes smoothly incorporated into the script). A great choice to rent for an exciting adventurous evening.

B Movie that turned out better than expected.

Author: dream_runner_az from United States
29 August 2005

I generally don't watch any movie that hasn't gone to theaters. However, this one intrigued me and I enjoyed it enough that it has become a part of my movie collection. Special effects were very good, the actors played their parts well, and the plot worked well. It did seem similar to a Jude Law flick called Existenz though this was better in my opinion. As a technonerd I found the movie a little less plausible than most might. But taken as a work of fiction it did well in all my categories. Special Effects, Acting, Execution, and Storyline. Terry Cunningham, did an unbelievable job on this film and I look forward to seeing more that he has to offer. Hopefully he'll do some big screen presentations for all to enjoy.

Surprisingly good

Author: Enchorde from Sweden
18 September 2004

Thunderhead is developing a computer/satellite-based system with the potential to alter weather (read create huge storms). During a test were the government is to decide if support the project something goes very wrong. Although at first, the test is a success, but later the weather just go out of control. At the same time, Nick Chase (Cornish), a computer whiz (with a criminal record to boot), get blackmailed through a virtual reality game to break into Thunderheads computer to steal a file. As the weather continues to deteriorate, researchers try to break up the typhoons before they hit land and Nick desperately tries who find out who his employer/blackmailer really is so he can stay out of jail.

Not expecting very much, and with the will to overlook some dubious facts that is the base of the story. Sure, they would never work in real life, but within the universe of this story it works. The story is consistent with itself anyway, something other movies are not. The characters are somewhat stereotypic, but the actors are performing well, and many of them are known from TV-series or otherwise. Great entertainment for an afternoon or evening.

See, the cyberpunk genre can be fun without being tripe.

Author: ETCmodel02
23 December 2002

Grand to see a much simplified version of the basic principles of William Gibson's version of the Cyberpunk genre brought to life. Would have enjoyed more discourse between the two AI, but none the less I'm very happy to see this run it's course without ever targeting the lowest common denominator the way so many would be Cyberpunk contender films might. Also enjoyed the dialogue, the pacing, the use of the limited budget, and in all, the fact that this demonstrates that a film can be light and still be about character(s). A fun romp. Certainly not Matrix, but cool anyway. If nothing else, it proves that it's high time Neuromancer and Headcrash should be brought to the big screen. So I'd consider this a successful beta test.

Not Half Bad

Author: Justin Pierce
25 September 2002

I was really surprised by this one. I only rented it because I recognized one of the actresses (Vanessa Marcil) in the movie, and there was nothing else at the video store that I hadn't seen. I thought the movie would be pretty lame, but it was half-way decent. It won't win any awards or anything. But I went in expecting crap, and got a pretty decent movie. If you're into the sci-fi, virtual reality kind of scene, you might actually enjoy this one. I was under the impression that it was called Code Hunter though.

Excellent Movie!!

Author: Tweedenfan from Californina, USA
10 February 2003

I rented this movie basically because I like Vanessa Marcil. When Netfilx sent me the DVD, at first I didn't want to watch it at all. After about five minutes I was hooked. It has a great storyline, solid acting and even good special effects. Vanessa Marcil was superb as the beautiful but cynical newswoman, and Adrian Paul turns in a teriffic performance as Neville. The rest of the cast did a commendable job as well. If you are looking for a movie that is very entertaining, I highly reccommend this one, perfect for a night spent in front of th Tv.

A Happy Surprise

Author: tsota from U.S.
2 August 2003

I rented this only because I saw that ton loc was in it. I had no real expectations of the quality of the movie as I had never heard of it and assumed that it was straight to video (STV). I will honestly say that this was a great movie. It was a great plotline and the writing was pretty decent. The acting was definitely above average for a STV. I wish they would have elaborated a little more on the characters of Skylar and Neville but maybe they could do that in a sequel, or nowadays I guess it would be more fashionable to do a pre-quel. Regardless, this is a very good movie and well worth the rental fee.

A glimpse of the future?

Author: grinten38 from Netherlands, Amsterdam
4 January 2008

Before anyone starts ranting about the highly unlikely plot. Read this: In 1997 former Secretary of Defence William Cohen is quoted as saying: "Terrorists are engaging in an eco-type of terrorism whereby they can alter the climate, set off earthquakes..through the use of electromagnetic waves". And if that isn't enough: In 2005 the USA enacted the Weather Modification Bill. Go figure how serious some people in the US Government apparently take William Cohen's remarks. Now for the movie: I expected nothing and got a decent movie, with some fine acting and a nice cast along the way. Not bad really. And given the fact that this movie was released prior to the major weather disasters in the USA one can wonder whether or not there is more to this movie? What did the Director know and when did he know it?

Pretty good.

Author: jezaja from Sweden
3 December 2002

Pretty good sci-fi/computer/hacking film. As all other films in this catagory, they try to make computer geeks look cool :D They succeed pretty good in this one, but still it has its bad parts as well.. If you like this and havent seen Hackers or Hackers 2 (Operation Takedown) yet, do it!

Pretty nice, yeap!

Author: esculap from Bucharest
31 May 2003

Some time ago i started to consider the quality of a movie only by my own judgement; then i decided that for me a movie will be a MOVIE only if i'd feel like experiencing something new through it.

And this one really got me in. So, i'd give it a 9.