IMDb > Crime Spree (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

USA gets hilariously frogged

Author: Hermes Brandt from Amsterdam, Netherlands
12 August 2003

If you are familiar with both American and French culture, this movie is hilarious. If you are not familiar with the frog culture, you won't get all the jokes, but there should be enough jokes left to enjoy yourself seriously. This is one very well-made crime-comedy. The movie does not suffer from overacting and the jokes are not laid on heavily. The actors are superb and seem to have had a great time making this movie. The script is intelligent and funny.

Let me explain one joke for those who are not familiar with French culture: during the bar scene in Paris, the Johnny Halliday and Renaud characters (they are popular singers in real life) repeatedly switch off the other guy's music to play their own recording. And I was impressed by the way they played tough criminals. Good acting !

On a personal note, this movie was a very nice surprise for me, who have lived in France for many years and speak French fluently. I had picked up the DVD in the video store only because I saw Harvey Keitel's name on the cover. The title did not mean anything to me and I did not bother to read anything else on the cover. Harvey Keitel was enough assurance the movie would at least be OK. Then the movie starts in total darkness, with some people whispering. At first I did not understand what was said, as I was expecting to hear English, but no, they spoke French. And for the next 10 to 15 minutes, it was a French movie set in Paris. I was sure they had put the wrong DVD in the box, but I did not mind so much as I found the movie entertaining. Then of course the action moved to the USA...

Hilarious-- but also quite dark

Author: artzau from Sacramento, CA
6 January 2004

All they needed was Jean Reno. Depardieu, Hallyday, Renaud, Taghmaoui and the lesser known, Freiss and Dray make up a gang of complete screw-ups who are set up to take a fall and wind up robbing Keitel, always great as a mafioso, and get involved in every kind of mess-up imaginable. The ending is charming and remindful of the ending in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Although the film is quite violent, and liberally sparkled with gallows humor, it comes off incredibly well as a dark comedy. Depardieu does well with comedy and his chemistry with the rest of the bunch is superb in all their antics.

If you haven't seen it, do. If you have, rent it again. I had to, in order to pick up on some of the laughs I missed while guffawing the first time around. Even if you don't speak French, the subtitles are cleverly apt and capture most of the witty dialogue among these veteran French actors.

utterly hilarious

Author: angelica (angie-belle) from georgia
28 April 2004

This is the funniest movie I've seen in a long while. Who knew murder could be hilarious? From the opening scenes with the older gentlemen to the last scenes, I laughed my head off. Which wasn't easy because it was 4 a.m. when I watched it. Each scene was extremely clever and held my attention because I knew something wise and funny was about to happen.

I'd have to say that my favorite character was Harvey Keitel's character because he had some really funny lines and funny scenes. But, honestly, every single one of the characters had something that brought this movie together and made it comical. Whether that was the writer's intention, I don't know. But it worked amazingly well. See this movie and enjoy because you will laugh.

A slickly made and entertaining film

Author: avezou1 from Paris, France
3 May 2003

There had not been so much hype in France about this movie (which was surprising considering the people involved), so I walked into the theater with some sort of apprehension. Well, it was surprisingly good! Of course, not a masterpiece. The very realistic location and the black humor make you think immediately of Q. Tarantino's movies, so you could say that it's been done before, but if you take it for what it is (a copy), it's made with craft, not pretentious, not dumb, has a solid script and is extremely well played (hats off to Renaud and to Harvey Keitel, who's never been so hilarious). It mixes with ability the French and the American conceptions of entertainment, and it also includes a few memorable scenes - in fact, it contains all the ingredients of a potential cult movie. There are very worse ways to spend 2 hours.

Exceeding Expectations

Author: Fugi from Nova Scotia, Canada
3 August 2004

I have to say I've been a frequent visitor of the IMDb and I cannot believe some of the comments said about this movie. Rather than judging this movie by how funny it was, they try and find little problems that they can come and complain about. I honestly feel this was a good movie. There was many bad movies made in Canada, but this is not one of them. Maybe it was because I didn't expect much, but I laughed really hard and have been talking about this movie for quite some time now. It far exceeded my expectations, therefore, for those who want to watch a good and funny movie, I definitely recommend it. I gave it an 8 out of 10. And for those who gave this movie a below 6 rating, I think you should alter your way of rating a movie.

A very Funny Movie

Author: Emily Thompson from Dorchester, England
14 November 2003

This is one of the funniest Crime Caper films I have ever seen. The opening sequence is just hysterical. The cast is fantastic and play off one another wonderfully. Depardieu's understated humor is incredible and Keitel is very funny as the mafia boss. Two other performances to mention are Renaud as Zero and Albert Dray as Raymond. Brad Mirman's direction is fast-paced and he seems to have a great feel for humor. If you want to be entertained and laugh for 99 minutes then Crime Spree is a film you have to see.

The best Dortmunder movie Westlake never wrote

Author: waldog2006 from United Kingdom
13 July 2010

I picked this up in Poundland expecting very little except that the word 'crime' in the title got my attention, and I'll watch any type of heist film. It was past one in the morning when I saw it, and I considered going to bed instead, then, after watching the first few scenes of the 95m movie (it said 84m on the box) I thought I'd watch half of it today and the other half tomorrow but it kept me watching till the end, occasionally laughing out loud. Comedy caper films nearly always fail. The Italian Job is over-rated. Don't even get me started on public-school- educated Guy Ritchie's films. But any fan of Donald Westlake's Dortmunder books, in which a hapless crime planner is saddled with a team of non-starters and has to extricate himself from increasing complications, will see that this is the best Dortmunder movie the late Westlake never wrote. The only successful Dortmunder adaptation was How to Steal a Diamond in Four Uneasy Lessons (also known as The Hot Rock). All the others failed to a lesser or greater extent. Despite the predominantly French tone, and the minimal characterisation of Depardieu's character (Dortmunder is usually silent, unless complaining, anyway) this is what a Dortmunder adaptation should be, even though it isn't. Not a great movie, by any means, with too many respectful nods to Tarantino (surely the greater influence here, and not Ritchie?) but a very watchable one that keeps you wanting to know what happens next. Wayne Newton's (yes, that's a man singing) 'Danke Schoen' is used to great effect.

Somewhere, Guy Ritchie Is Filing a Plagiarism Lawsuit

Author: fixyourcat from United States
25 February 2006

"Crime Spree" is a good movie. It's not a great one, but it's certainly very funny and quite entertaining. Its major problem is, though, that it's almost completely ripped off from either "Snatch" or "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels." Now, don't get me wrong: I enjoyed "Crime Spree" immensely and I do recommend it. However, don't go into it expecting to see something original or revolutionary, especially if you're a Guy Ritchie fan.

Writer/director Brad Mirman crafts a cute, international comedy with the requisite murder/theft/convoluted plot that has dragged Ritchie to the spotlight while bringing nothing new to the table. One disappointing aspect of "Crime Spree," though, is that it neither has Ritchie's blitheness nor his gravity in serious matters. When, in either "Snatch" or "Lock, Stock," the characters find out that they're screwed, we can feel just how screwed they are. In "Crime Spree," we don't know them well enough to comprehend the level of crap they're in. This is probably because Mirman doesn't take the time to establish the characters well enough to make us feel anything for them. We see that they're a likable group of guys who happen to be hapless thieves, and that's where the character development ends.

I think Mirman's biggest problem is that he underwrote the script. The scene that catapults the story is too unexpected and weird, because it involves a character too peripheral. It takes a huge leap of faith to think that something so minor could result in an onset of problems that big, because said peripheral character lacks the motivation to be involved in the plot in the first place.

Now, speaking of the plot. The plot has Ritchie's signature written all over it, only whereas Ritchie begins at the beginning, so to speak, when he introduces his characters, Mirman gets lazy and does expository dialogue instead. This is probably a mistake, since he has neither the style nor the substance to fill the holes well enough and make me ignore the sloth of his writing.

Lastly, Mirman's work suffers from a lot of side ordership. There are only two important groups in the forefront, but Mirman stuffs the movie with side characters that seem to distract from the development of the main characters. Whereas Ritchie somehow incorporates these side assemblies into the main plot, Mirman doesn't have the skill to do this, so I wind up feeling annoyed at the fact that some totally arbitrary people are stealing the screen time. I wish to Christ that, in the cases of both Ritchie and Mirman, or any of the numerous on-the-rise directors who want to follow in that vein, people learn that simplicity isn't always a bad thing. A movie doesn't have to have thirty protagonists to be good. Both "Snatch" and "Lock, Stock" had this problem, but in those movies, the side characters were at least somewhat amusing.

Despite these rather grave errors, "Crime Spree," as I said before, is a good film. It's light (though not light enough) with dark moments (that are, alas, not dark enough), but it works in its own odd, plagiarist way. Mirman has style in terms of shooting the thing and a couple of moments in the film work better than anything Ritchie has ever spawned. Also on the plus side in the Mirman column, he has assembled an excellent cast that can at least act.

Do I recommend it? As I said, absolutely. But if you're looking for something to blow your mind and you've not been living in a Luddite compound in terms of the Ritchie Revolution, "Crime Spree" just won't do it for you.

Lock Stock and a bunch of French guys :) Good movie!

Author: siderite from Romania
4 January 2007

I actually laughed out loud at this smart funny film about a gang of French men doing a "job" in the US, then getting caught in a web of unexpected developments. I have no idea why I didn't hear of this movie earlier, it's just as funny as Lock Stock and Two Loaded Barrels, only it's more wit than brawn, as the spree of French actors are above a certain age. Even the last scene is reminiscent of the above mentioned film.

The story was good, the dialogues funny, the music was nice, the acting was very good, as one might expect from a bunch of actors such as these.

Bottom line: a must see movie, even if it is, after all, an action comedy about mobsters of different aromas.

an ingenious masterpiece comedy

Author: Dömötör Mihai (mishi-10) from Lugoj, Romania
24 March 2006

it's the best comedy i have ever seen... it's a type of comedy with idiots... because those "thieves" don't know nothing else but getting into trouble. i think those who made this super-film have an excellent sense of humor especially the scenarist and the director... the actors are special and each of them plays very well his character and each character is different and well clean-cut. i have seen very many good comedy movies(i'm a fan of this type of films) but nothing compares to this one(eventually scary movie 2).... the situation humor and language humor is predominating... for example Zero's type of language says everything about his character. i recommend this movie for all types of ages... its a film which everyone should see it at least once in the life. You must see it!!!!

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]