IMDb > Confidence (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Confidence

Confidence More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 15: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

What is it about a good con movie?

Author: JessicaBrandy from Ft Lauderdale, fl
29 April 2003

I have to say that this was a really good movie. Also there was something else I wanted to say...cgeorgie's comment from Berkeley, CA gave me a good chuckle, especially when I looked up and found out that s/he liked that quirky movie "The Hot Chick" (??? I don't get it either, I would think that computers were too confusing for people like that too).

Now, Im not going to give this movie more praise then it deserves. Im not a big Edward Burns fan, although "15 Minutes" was very good (but we all know who made THAT movie). He did do a good job of portraying a good liar, con-man and L-uuuu-ver. I do have to say that Rachel Weisz was not tooooo convincing. It seems as though her accent is a bit to hard to cover up and I found it seeping through a couple of times. Too, her character seemed to be a poorly portrayed confident woman, almost seemed as though the character was only acting, but maybe that was what Foley was looking for. Some of the other characters seemed silly. Paul Giamatti as Gordo was a bit characature-y and so was Dustin Hoffman, Andy Garcia and Luis Guzman (although I love them all!). All in all the wacky characters and the always turning plot was well worth the $7.50 and 2 hours.

as of May 1st, this is the BEST MOVIE of the YEAR!

Author: r.braxton@gte.net from Plano, TX
29 April 2003

Caution: you will only enjoy this (best movie of 2003!) if your intelligent enough to mentally chase (but will likely get left behind in) the seemingly endless possibilities of 'who's being scammed', mind-twisting storyline. If the fact that this movie's constant intriguement 'spy v. spy' style isn't enough for you - the acting is magnificent...EVERYONE plays their part to perfection, led by Burns & Hoffman, and Rachel Weisz is as alluring and tantalizingly sexy as ever!

If you like intelligent, well-acted movies that challenge your intellect, then you cannot possibly be disappointed by this....the BEST MOVIE of the YEAR!

(Note: the plot, on paper, is incredibly boringly predictable - don't be fooled by this point, .... see this movie!)

A lt better than OCEAN 11 but far below THE STING

Author: abisio from Miami
28 April 2003

In a 1 to 10 scale where 1 would be Steven Sodenbergh OCEAN 11; probably the worst movie ever made with most expensive cast and 10 to the Oscar winner THE STING, a brilliant exercise in intelligence; IDENTITY could exactly in five or perhaps a six.

Scam movies are not an easy genre; and it is probably the reason very few movies in the last years are worth remembering; barely THE GRIFTERS or Mamet's HOUSE OF GAMES in the better half and Mamet's THE HEIST on the lower. The main reason; is that the intelligence of the story is everything. In order for the movie to work, audience must believe in the scam too. If you trick the audience, the audience feels disappointed.

Foley; a usually good director, successfully recreated the only good thing of OCEAN 11; the coolness of the characters; with the help of a bunch of great actors whose added salaries should make Julia Roberts laugh. Aside from that, the story was taken more seriously. The bad-bad guys (decency is nobody's quality here) are terrifying; with Hoffman finally doing something interesting and the heist itself is simple but meticulously detailed and overly realistic. There is not forced moral and at least there is one surprise.

However, there are serious failures. Most of the time characters deliver lengthy monologues or dialogs which could have benefited of a little trimming and more action. The Rachel Weiz character has no credibility or even development. What the worst thing (in my opinion) is the way the story is told. Instead of using the suspense of things not going as expected, Foley decided to tell the story in flashback and from the very beginning, the audience realize is being tricked; so the supposed surprising end is not surprise at all.

This film is Flawless

Author: JohnCusackBuff from United States
26 April 2003

I went into this film with high hopes because it looked interesting. What I got was a flawless film and one of the best I have seen in a while. The acting was absolutely perfect including Dustin Hoffman who plays a very minor character. The writing was also very good and above all things I pay attention to the writing because I wish to become a screenwriter. From the first frame up until the last frame I felt like I was on the screen with these likeable characters.

Confidence good fun

Author: Bodell from San Jose, CA
26 April 2003

Confidence was three big things going for it: Terrific performances from a deep cast; Crisply stylized directing and camera work; and (what some films lack) a good script. Some people will complain that the twists in the plot were too easy to tell. I agree that it was pretty obvious with whom each of the character's loyalties lie. But this isn't a bad thing, scripts where they surprise you for the hell of it without the motivation of the surprise are the real problem (Think Basic). In confidence the fun isn't in WHO is going to backstab and betray whom but in HOW they are going to do it. And watching the excellent execution was a lot of fun. 8/10

Been there, Done that.

Author: mattryan00 from Washington, DC
26 April 2003

Eh... I'll start off by saying that this was NOT a bad movie and that I was incredibly tired when i went to see this one. This film was moderately creative but a number of the plot "twists" had been done before. So what you're seeing here is a lot of recycled storyline. Nonetheless it was fairly entertaining and probably worth a rental once it gets to DVD. But if you're looking to see a flick, I'd recommend something like identity (i wanted to see this one instead but nooo......)

The film is original, clever, yet excuted poorly

Author: kountzrd from Richmond, VA
25 April 2003

The film is original, clever, yet excuted poorly. Exposition is terrible. The only truly great thing in the film, besides the originality, is the Dustin Hoffman character which leaves you wishing for him to have more screen time. Its so unfortuante that not enough detail appears to be put towards the details of the story.

I liked it.

Author: Chris (onelastglance@hotmail.com) from Dallas, TX
25 April 2003

It was interesting, it kept my attention. I watched this movie right after seeing Identity, and I liked this one much better. I wont say that it kept me on my toes the whole time, as some parts were predictible, but the ending did catch me off guard and I liked that, even with the forshadowing at the start of the whole thing.

Well paced, witty heist film.

Author: progard from Boston
24 April 2003

This film reminds me most of "The Heist" with Gene Hackman. It was a very well paced movie that while fairly predictable, was still very enjoyable. At 98 minutes, it was flowed very well, and never felt long. I won't get into the plot as many other users have already covered that. The story is told similarly to "Fallen" with the narration done by the main character, starting from the end, and then telling the story. The characters were all well played with well timed comic relief. Definitely worth seeing if you're a fan of the genre.

The con is on!

Author: writeguyr from United States
28 March 2003

In this very fast paced film Edward Burns comes into his own as a major acting star, we experienced glimpses of his brilliant talent in his smaller roles in films such as; "Saving Private Ryan" and in last year's police thriller "Fifteen Minutes". It was here where audiences really started to appreciate his acting talents. In his latest film `Confidence', Burn's steps up to the batter's plate to take a swing at his own major stardom as an actor. Burns does so in `Confidence', where he portrays a con-artist named Jake Vigs, in a film that could be called "The Sting" meets "Pulp Fiction." Director James Foley, who had previously helmed "The Corruptor" (1999) and "Glengary Glen Ross (1992), with his latest directorial bid"Confidence", Foley offers the audience a smart sting crime flick with fabulous acting performances and plenty of surprising plot twists. Burns plays the consummate grifter Jake Vig, Jake is the ultimate cool hip con man who gets involved with all kinds of bizarre characters, most notably King (Dustin Hoffman) a sleazy mobster who runs a stripclub and who invests a small fortune into one of Vig's cons, to enable King a degree of revenge at an of old nemesis. Hoffman hasn't had a role this challenging in some time, as he gives one of his best acting performances of his career. Rachel Weisz, like Burns has had some past minor success on the screen primarily as the love interest in the action film "The Mummy" and its sequel. And like Burns she finally is offered a role that allows she and Burns to really showcase their acting talent. Weisz as Lily, is sexy and sizzling hot as the bait in the con sting and demonstrates that she can handle the comedy elements of this fast paced film as well. Andy Garcia portrays Gunther Butan and FBI agent who hopes to bring Burns into justice, as a personal vendetta. Butan's involvement might just thwart the entire sting operation. Yet Vigs' and company have more con tricks up their sleeves. The film's director, James Foley who has Western New York and University of Buffalo roots, displays his genius directing talents with `Confidence' and keeps one step ahead of the audience while keeping them guessing at what is going to happen next.