IMDb > Confidence (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Confidence

Confidence More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

That's what i like!

Author: PynKis from Lithuania
2 October 2003

the film is somehow familiar to "confidence" where the film begins from the end it's a hell good film because you never know what the end will be and especially ..... watch it and enjoy it's not anything super special but it really cheers you up.

Snatch your Lock, Stock and shove it...

Author: Dave-330 from Chicago, IL
25 September 2003

Wow, I have read several reviews on this site that compare this film to "Lock, Stock" and "Snatch.", and I believe those comparisons are lost on me. Though Guy Ritchie makes "cheeky" English comedy capers, that are direct rip-offs of Tarentino films, I do not see how this movie is in that same vein of films. This is a con film, and yes, it is boring in spots, but the sheer genius of performances by everyone except Mr. Burns dwarfs any boredom that one may experience. Hoffman is in rare form and I have not seen a better performance from him since "Rainman." The cast is all game for the film, and James Foley keeps them together. Foley's directorial pacing and several strange camera angles (people pass in front of the camera, yeah I get it, but they make the scene lose focus) are the only real gripes that I have about this film. I am going to buy this film on DVD, because Foley's films may not be the most entertaining pieces of work, but just like Glengarry Glen Ross, this film has amazing performances that should be treasured.

It is unbelievably BORING.

Author: Geff from United States
1 May 2003

Don't be fooled by filmmaker comments like "It's the best movie of the year." This film is an insult to anyone's intelligence. It is boring, boring, boring. Dustin Hoffman chose a bad film, and the director did not get the best out of him. He makes a poor crime boss with homicidal tendencies. Not believable at all, and almost laughable. The plot is soooooo contrived. I felt cheated and let-down when I left the theatre. Don't let it happen to you. I was "conned." The movie itself is a confidence game. Say it ain't so, Dustin.

Very Good shell game lead by two very good performances by Rachel Weisz and Dustin Hoffman

Author: sumitupbest
30 April 2003

Decent con movie about a con artist (Ed Burns) who steals from a Mob boss (Dustin Hoffman) then tries to repay him by doing another con. Like always, one is out maneuvering the other for control of the money, and no one is to be trusted. The cliches are there in full force but the real strength of the film lies with the very good performances by Dustin Hoffman, who remakes Bad guy role with a slick and derange delight, and Rachel Weisz, who nearly steals the movie From Hoffman with a pitch perfect performance of a fem fatal who can charm the walled out of you.

To be honest, Rachel Weisz and Dustin Hoffman's performances are probably better suited for a much better film but thank god they're in this film because with out them The movie in my mind would have not been as good as it was.

Excellence in execution

Author: whoTheFuqRyou from NYC
25 April 2003

I just finished watching this very interesting flick w/ Edward Burns and Rachel Weisz. It's about a man and his crew who pull a big scam on someone who turned out to be linked to the mob and now they have to come up with a lump-sum to repay him. I gotta say a lot of this was interesting 'cause Edward Burns' character Vig was very manipulating as he knew so much about finances and "clean-up" if you know what I mean. The ending made me laugh so hard I swear to god because that....never mind - anyway I recommend this flick because it is damn solid in its own right and Rachel Weisz was definitely something to look at in this(sexy as hell)

great movie, glad I saw it

A extremely fast paced, well acted, original, taut, tense, sweet sexy sting of a caper flick!

Author: TonysLittleFriend from Kitchener, Ontario
22 December 2004

Jake Vig, a charming presence even in the worst of times, makes a perfectly beguiling grifter; as Jake Vig he displays both the smarts to spot big money and the ruthlessness to go after it. Early on in Confidence, he sets his sights on a big target -- The King, a pint-sized crime boss with an eye for strippers and a bad case of ADD. In other hands, the King might have just been a collection of quirks, but Hoffman has the effortless ability to make him both fascinating and complete. Together, he and Burns form a strong pair of tentpoles under which Confidence can develop its complicated scheme.

Naturally, it's not as simple as Vig picking the King out of a crowd. He and his crew unknowingly fleece an important underling, stealing a substantial chunk of the King's money. Before they realize their error, one of their number has a bullet in his head and the rest are ready to cut and run, leaving Vig to do some fast thinking. So he approaches the King directly, offering to pay back the funds by pulling an even bigger scam on the crime lord's hated rival. Unfortunately, the plan requires an additional player, and Vig settles on a pickpocket femme fatale named Lily who may not have the group's best interests at heart. He also neglects to mention the federal marshal on his trail, who could land the entire lot of them in prison.

Like he did in Glengarry Glen Ross, Foley demonstrates considerable skill working with an ensemble, aptly balancing the characters with the needs of the story. As a technical exercise Confidence is well-tuned, and the 98 minute running time feels just about right. The script brims with terrific dialogue, which the cast takes great relish in delivering, and the uniformly excellent performances never become forced or mannered .Dustin Hoffman gives a fresh and original performance that should have landed him at the very least an Oscar nomination. Like the length of the film is just about perfect. It's incredibly fast paced. This one movie that has re-watch-ability written all over it and an excellent flick that should not be missed.

****/*****

Empty Exercise

Author: dromasca from Herzlya, Israel
19 September 2003

'Confidence' is an empty exercise in style. Based on a crooks scheme story filmed with some skill, and acted pretty decently by a good cast, it soon falls in routine and looks like a useless effort. The film is too technical and never succeeds to make us care about the characters or to entangle us in the grip of the plot. Even the final twist in the story comes too late - they lost us already, and good chances are that the spectator went out of the theater, or took the DVD out of the player already. 6/10 on my personal scale. Can be avoided.

Hoffman adds sparkle in familiar story

Author: rosscinema from United States
8 June 2003

This is really just another con game movie like "The Sting" or "House of Games" and the only thing that really stands out is the fun performance of Dustin Hoffman. Story is about a con man named Jake Vig (Edward Burns) who along with his crew bilks money out of people by faking murders but one day during a scam they learned they conned 100,000 dollars out of a bagman who works for The King (Hoffman). Vig comes to learn that they are in deep trouble if they don't give the money back because of the reputation of The King. Vig confronts The King at his strip club and tells him he will get his money back in due time but also wants him to finance him for another scam. The King agrees and sends along one of his henchman and a woman named Lily (Rachel Weisz) to watch them. Vig needs some dirty cops to help them and knows of two and they also agree but they don't know that an agent named Gunther Butan (Andy Garcia) has been tailing Vig for a long time and tells the two cops to help him. There is the usual double twists in the story and you never really know who to trust and of course Vig and Lily get romantic. For me their are two things that I did like about the film. The first is the sharp dialogue that is written for the characters. Its colorful and the characters are given some biting phrases that reminds one of David Mamet (At least a little bit!). The other thing is the performance of Hoffman. Its a treat to watch him as a mob boss and its a well written role as we see all the personality flaws that he exhibits. He talks of attention deficit disorder and of having to take pills to keep him in line. But their are things in this film that cannot go unnoticed. Burns just seems to be to young and to smart to be doing cons for a living. There are guys in his crew that are twice his age and they all seem to be capable of being in charge of their own gang. Why follow this young guy around? A role like this needs an actor who looks like a guy that has been around the block and been in tough scrapes before. A veteran like Bogart, Deniro, Hackman, Douglas and guys like that. Not some young buck who looks like he should be in college. Very familiar story that is pretty well made and thats because of the talent of director James Foley who I think is a very underrated artist. No where near as good as "House of Games" but its a decent effort by all. I do recommend this film but I hope viewers don't expect anything original.

Interesting, but sometimes tried too hard

Author: Agent10 from Tucson, AZ
28 April 2003

Sure, Confidence is a rather solid movie which has some great angles, but the film seemed to be overwrought with silliness and unbelievable plot devices.

Let's start with the things I don't like. First off, the soundtrack was pretty annoying. Second, the acting was pretty wretched. Sure, they were cool and nonplus, but everyone, including the great Dustin Hoffman, made their performances far too campy and disassociative. It seems only Rachel Weisz was believeble in her performance, which is too bad. The idea and concept was great, but only one good performance among many won't help a film. I mean, Paul Giamatti was even more annoying in this film than he was in Big Fat Liar, a movie that should have been called "Annoying, Kids Movie that Deserves to be Burned." Then, let's not forget the whole idea of Jake Vig talking to an assassin when the assassin should have been only after the money, not a good yarn. Also, being a sap for redheads, they are not bad luck, but that whole sequence in the movie is pretty funny nonetheless.

Anyway, now for the good things. The film as a whole was pretty well made, presenting some interesting angles and lighting schemes that just beamed with charisma. It felt perfect for the seedy underworld these people were living in. Once again though, Weisz was the only beacon in a film full of cartoonish performances. Fortunately, Luis Guzman and Donal Logue provided some relief from the onslaught. So, what wins out in the end?

Style and substance. This film had plenty, with a twist that was actually pretty cool and not overdone (like the film Basic). Watch it for the fact it is pretty cool, just don't expect great acting performances.

Uneven homage to superior movies

Author: cmoyton from United Kingdom
3 April 2012

Confidence is one of those hit and miss movies. When it works it is brilliant however there are too many inherent flaws to make it worth recommending. Principally the biggest draw is Dustin Hoffmans performance. His character, the mobster "King", a sleaze bag with a volcanic personality, reminded me a lot of the character he played in the understated 1970's classic crime/drama Straight Time (which if you have not seen you really should check out. The scenes of Hoffman simultaneously threatening and coming on to Ed Burns are tense and darkly humorous.

At other times the movie tries to be quirky and with its jaunty musical score gives the film a frustratingly uneven tone. Edward Burns is fine as the leader of the scam artist crew but i didn't buy into the other crew members one of whom should really stick to comedy. The addition of Rachael Weisz to the crew failed to impress me. When you consider strong female roles that make an impression in for example The Grifters and House of Games, Weisz really comes up short. The snaring of their mark for the sting to pay off King does not ring true. The promise of a honey trap is floated but the banker does not even have to sleep with Weisz in order to be suckered in and this is not believable. Andy Garcia pops up in an extended cameo to harass the two goonish cops who are helping and skimming Ed Burns but again this facet is played mostly for laughs.

The ending was entirely predictable when it should have left you guessing and again not enough Hoffman.