IMDb > "George Lopez" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"George Lopez"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"George Lopez" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Very Funny!

Author: Scot T Brennecke from Dallas, Texas
17 December 2002

I love this show! Lopez is a very clever comic, who can deliver a punch line sometimes simply with a facial expression. They did a great job in casting his family and friends, especially his mother. As with most shows named after a stand-up comedian, the primary intent is to give Lopez a vehicle to deliver his comedy. But they surpassed this by casting several very funny costars who can get good laughs on their own. I hope that there are more people like me who appreciate this humor.

Funny!

Author: jman72485 from San Diego, California
23 December 2003

It's a good show, and I find it funny. Finally the bad Latin stereo types are over! ¡Gracias, Señor Lopez! I love this show, and I just started watching it about three months ago. The whole concept about a Latin family TV show really amazed me. I am surprised that finally Latinos have a good shot to be on TV. This show is probably one the best I've seen, it's funny, heartwarming, touchy, and nice.

Wonderful Acting, Great Entertainment, Funny - with lessons from Life

Author: Penguin11Bob from Burbank, CA USA
9 December 2003

I watch the show every week - my friends & I at a real airplane parts factory love the show. George and Angie (Constance Marie) come across very well as a Dad and Mom. Grandma (Belita Moreno) comes through with razor sharp comments - that catch you laughing when you least expect it. His friends and bosses at the fictitious Powers Bros Aviation are all well cast and contribute heavily to the show.

His children - there is simply not enough about them in the show. This includes a shining new star -- Masiela Lusha as his daughter Carmen. She is an `A' list actress in my book - and is likely to be seen & heard long after the George Lopez show has made a long & successful run. Whether Carmen is the subject of the episode or is just in show for a few lines - Masiela makes her talents known. The lines are not just delivered, but delivered First Class - with great expressions, smiles, frowns, smirks, tears, etc. She makes her character unusually believable.

George & his Team - the entire Cast, the Writers, the Producers, Camera, Sound, and the many others make this show work, a show that is not just portraying a Latino family in Los Angeles, but also the family of an aerospace worker -- it portrays a typical family who struggles from week to week trying to make financial ends meet and yet maintain the health & happiness of the family unit. This show lets us laugh a little at ourselves, including the celebrations & predicaments. This show is not just about a Latino family - it is about a lot of us.

ABC has a wonderful show with George Lopez - I think its here for a while -

Watch the show !

If you are not going to be home - record it, but definitely see it !

Totally hilarious show

Author: Cory Albrecht from Canada
14 July 2004

This is a hilarious show, contrary to what veestar614 thinks. A laugh is a laugh is a laugh, especially since we're talking about a 1/2 hour family sitcom, not a documentary. I know zip about Latino culture (my Spanish is limited to "yo no hablo español") but this is only of my favourite shows on TV right now.

George Lopez overacts somewhat, but it is in character, and Angie Lopez (played by Constance Marie) is the perfect serious foil for George's over-the-top-ness, as are George's kids, Max and Carmen, his mother Benny and his friend Eddie.

So many comedies based on the "name brand" aspect of successful comedian end up being ego trips with the "star" so greatly overshadowing the rest of the cast that it's like they aren't even there. But on the George Lopez show, the co-stars are truly that - they get decent screen time and they get some good funny lines which they can all deliver perfectly, even the kid playing Max. And Masiela Lusha is great playing the overwrought teenage girl so much like how her father is so excitable without becoming an un-funny stereotype.

I give the show a 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Very funny stuff

Author: mattymatt4ever from Jersey City, NJ
22 April 2002

For some reason, I had a hunch that this would be a funny show--judging simply from the teaser previews. Well, I was right. I'm pretty sure George Lopez is a stand-up comedian, and I would love to see his act. He is extremely funny, with great timing. And of course, I'm always a supporter of Latino shows and movies. When people think of minorities being snubbed from the media, they immediately think "blacks," but I would argue that we need to see a lot more Latinos on TV and in the movies. And just like "The Cosby Show" didn't play out stereotypes of an African-American family, "George Lopez" doesn't play out stereotypes of a Latino-American family. The characters are universal, and could be played by actors of any race. I don't know why it is, and I'm definitely not complaining, but it seems like they always cast a real hottie to play the wives on these sitcoms. In "Everybody Loves Raymond" there's Patricia Heaton, in "King of Queens" there's Leah Remini, and the actress who plays Lopez's wife is also a hottie! The old lady who plays his mother is just as funny as him, and steals every scene she's in. I sincerely hope this show lasts at least 3 seasons.

My score: 7 (out of 10)

Loving every episode

Author: Steven Tidwell from Pomona, Ca
26 October 2003

The cast does a great job, George is one of the best comedians out right now. I just wish they didn't change the time slow to Friday's...to much conflict for me on that night. But it's a great show. Every member of the cast does well, from Ernie and Max(Who I was suprised to learn is 15) to George. This show is one of few shows I really like(The others: Less Than Perfect, The OC, Boston Public and The Practice, 10-8's not bad..)

Getting Better With Each Episode

Author: getyourdander from United States
1 May 2007

George Lopez is a funny man even without the sitcom. The first episodes I saw of this too often made jokes at the expense of his mom. As I have watched this more, there has been more & more variety. No one on the cast is really safe from his wit now.

It seems to me as this season has progressed that George is getting more comfortable with the family sitcom Dad role. At first he wasn't, but he is getting More & more into a groove. This makes both him & the shows progressively funnier. They had added a couple of characters for George to play off this year too. His wife's dad is getting more & more involved in the plot.

His mom is still there, but not as central as past seasons. I think it is prudent to say with George's sense of comic timing, & ABC's lack of good sitcoms, George Lopez has a good chance of being here on ABC long after George W. Bush.

pretty good actually!

Author: coolbeans14741 from United States
4 November 2007

when i saw commercials for this i was thinking "NO WHAT HAS NICK AT NITE DONE!" because it was taking up "fresh prince" slots. well, i still love the fresh prince. but george lopez is a surprisingly good show. i love how not-stereotypical benny is. carmen is a pretty good character, its really funny to see how stupid and overemotional she can be sometimes. i feel bad for the guy who plays max, he looks much younger then he actually is! but max is a fun character, and acted well. and yeah, angie is a little stereotypical, but she has her funny moments. ha ha george does have a big head! nah but he can be really good too. funny show! it definitely should be on more often then home improvement.

Good show, but needs some fine-tuning

Author: darkrecluse from New York
16 January 2009

I started watching this show on Nick at Nite. It's pretty funny, and for me, better than Lopez's stand up. I have seen his stand up comedy live, but it is not as enjoyable as the show. At least in the show, there are elements of other aspects to life rather than just animosity towards white people.

The show is good because it is realistic to many situations. George is a self-made factory manager, who married a loving but sometimes neurotic wife, Angie, has a troubled and quite spoilt daughter, Carmen, and a gullible, somewhat spoilt younger son, Max. Many things happen over the course of the show, giving it spice and edge. Issues such as teen runaways, dyslexia, gang violence, drugs, alcoholism, child abuse, unemployment, and racism are addressed. Besides the racism, the rest is set well. It also has its comedic moments.

I understand the pain of Mexicans. I am not white, but like I said, I have seen his stand up. Three hours of his rambling hatred towards Caucasians made me quite nauseas. Doesn't this guy ever give up? What does he know about immigration patterns, anyway? He was born in America, and maybe his childhood was abusive (I'm switching back to the show, though it's true in real life) he turned out okay. I am half-Arab, and my people have been denied immigration because of 9/11. He acts as if Latinos are the only ones that undergo racism. Arabs are defined as terrorist because of a few group of renegades who are insane.

Sorry about the political situation. Racism is wrong, and sometimes the jokes are funny just to lift burdens, but there is a limit. Lopez passed that limit ages ago. Good show, but he might want to get some new material for his stand up other than his averse disposition towards white people.

As a vehicle for Lopez it can be extremely funny, but as a family sitcom the supporting players let it down

Author: liquidcelluloid-1 from www.liquidcelluloid.blog.com
16 May 2004

Network: ABC; Genre: sitcom; Average Content Rating: TV-PG (strong adult content); Classification: Contemporary (1 - 4);

Season Reviewed: Season 3+

While ABC's decision to put the slightly cruder 'George Lopez' as the lead-in to it's re-launched TGIF line-up is a judgment call I question, it does make for a slightly out-of-field comparison: 'Lopez' is cooler, edgier, funnier and more substantive than anything I remember from the line-up once populated with 'Full House' and 'Family Matters'.

Developed by the Deborah Oppenheimer/Bruce Helford crowd that brought us 'The Drew Carey Show' back when self-titled sitcoms from stand-up comics were all the rage. 'Lopez' falls somewhere between the crude, edge of 'Carey' and the standard family sitcom. But the scripts are consistently a triumph of avoiding standard sitcom clichés, instead the show has turned toward a comedic spin on domestic drama where George Lopez (obviously as himself) struggles though (sometimes cataclysmic) events in his work and family life all the while trying to make sense of his family's past and his maniacal, brazenly without shame mother Benny (Belita Moreno). Season 3 (I could take or leave seasons 1 and 2), was ripe with domestic confrontations, family secrets revealed and a long lost father and siblings for George. In more than one way the tone of the show recalls you might get if you burned away all the rawest, sharpest edges from Fox's 'Titus'.

George Lopez shines in the show. The biggest crack in the armor is in the supporting cast. Where 'Titus' had a strong one in the legendary Stacy Keach and Cynthia Watros, Moreno doesn't have the presence of a chief antagonist and often just comes off obnoxious - so much so it will prompt me to change the channel during her scenes. Constance Marie is stuck in a largely thankless role as Lopez's wife, much of the time just staying out of Lopez's way. The show hasn't put her in the typical whiny sitcom mom role which is appreciated more than anything she does, but when the story requires Marie is able to step up in a way that the rest of the cast can't. Really, that only marginally matters, because it's quite literally all Lopez's show. George Lopez tears through the sharp dialog like a Tasmanian devil, spitting it all out with an impeccable comic delivery able to get big laughs from little lines like "Stitch it on a pillow sister, we need cash". He is the tent pole that almost all the laughs swing around and the show is at it's best when it knows that - allowing for the supporting cast, in all their limited acting ability, to stand as plot-device in Lopez's way.

'George Lopez' is the first mainstream, successful American sitcom with an almost all Hispanic cast. It sprinkles touches of cultural authenticity all around - and in ways I'm sure I don't get, but for the most part the family is largely mainstream. I can understand that some might view is a copping out. I see it more as the show's desire to present a traditional sitcom family that happens to be Mexican. Now, if there were a lot more shows on TV like this, then we might have an issue.

One of my favorite bits in the series is the way it brought back the time-tested tradition of a conservative father debating with his liberal daughter (Masiela Lusha). Season 3 opened with a bang in the hour-long episode "Dad, Dubya and Dating" where Lopez tries to keep daughter Carmen from joining an anti-war protest. In a later episode, in a funny spin on preachy series, Carmen says her rights have been violated by "the New England Patriots Act", to which George replies "That's about gay marriage, don't you pick up a newspaper". We get the sense that 'George Lopez' doesn't want to be seen as a pioneer sitcom, nor does it want to make a political statement. It just wants to be funny - and it is that. It's also substantive and genuine which is rare. It's one of the better family sitcoms on TV right now.

* * * / 4