IMDb > Paper Soldiers (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Paper Soldiers More at IMDbPro »

Works more on the comedy side than drama.

Author: jmcgee321 from United States
28 February 2005

Damon Dash of Roc-A-Fella fame has directed this funny, yet semi drama. About a Crook(Kevin Hart) trying to make in life by robbing people.Then along comes he's buddies who want in too. All of them mean on harm except for Beanie Sigel's role.

Now one problem is that the movie is indeed funny,but add realistic drama that dosen't fit in very well. Even the violence is a little bit over the top at times to reach realism. Kevin Hart is indeed one of the comics America has to look for. Just look at Scary Movie 3 for example, but he can indeed act for in case of drama that he had to do. Beanie Sigel is perfect for this role, whether he was acting or not, he owned it. And Jay-Z & Damon Dash have hilarious cameos.

A Waste Of Paper

Author: Comeuppance Reviews from United States Minor Outlying Islands
12 May 2010

You gotta be kidding me. This gives "Homie Movies" a bad name.

Plot: Shawn (Hart) is a petty robber, who wants to make it with the big boys of thieving. But he doesn't have the guts. But he does get into a lot of wacky situations which aren't the least bit funny.

This movie is terrible. They are no laughs at all, every joke is strained, and the delivery is off. I guess when that didn't work, they turned to weak melodrama, which falters immensely. Kevin Hart should not try to be a dramatic actor. He's a poor man's Chris Tucker anyway.

Michael Rapaport is always worth watching, and his cameo is slightly humorous. But the other cameo by Jay-Z looks like a freeze frame. He doesn't say a word.

Damon Dash really should stop directing. First this, then the unwanted sequel to "State Property". Just because he's rich and can get his rapper buddies in his "movies" doesn't mean he should direct them.

If you're looking for a quality African-American flick, watch "Dead Presidents".

For more insanity, please visit: comeuppancereviews.com

Roc A Fella Films has another ghetto classic on their hands

Author: DunnDeeDaGreat from Woodbridge, VA
20 March 2003

I just got finshed watching Paper Soldiers and I don't think it was half bad. The film follows Shawn (Kevin Hart) a guy just tryin do the right thing. Damon Dash who has first diretcing gig with this movie does a very well job in this comedy. Roc A Fella films conunties to make ghetto cinema at it's finest.

FLAME ME NOW for this comment - Use of F&** and Nig***

Author: Mike (sutcal) from Melbourne Australia
23 February 2006

I would be interested in anyone elses view of the frequency of profanity in this movie.

I found it difficult to enjoy purely due to the excessive use of language.

I do not recall (and have rated close to 1500 movies on here) any movie where the F word or the Nig*** word has been used so frequently. I would not be kidding if I said each would have to have been used close to 100 times during the movie.

Realising that the movie is a gheto movie (comedy they call it here), I did not find it amusing at all.