IMDb > Like Mike (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Like Mike

Like Mike More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Keep the film in perspective

Author: groverallover from Cincinnati, Ohio
15 December 2002

I just finished watching "Like Mike" with my 7 year old son and he loved it. On a scale from 1-10 I gave it an 8. I must admit I was partial on the vote because it reflected my son's enjoyment. I think some should remember that this was a kid's movie and shouldn't take it so seriously. I enjoyed the flow and even though it was obviously very predictable let's not forget the target audience for this film. "Like Mike" was enjoyable and warm and perfect for your FAMILY film night, as it was intended in the first place.

Snoop's Little Bro does well

Author: Christopher Joseph (chrizoic88@aol.com) from Huber heights, Ohio
18 December 2002

Extremely funny, lighthearted kids romp with a positive message and enduring theme. Was pleased seeing a young rapper placed in a non-stereotypical role that valued family and teamwork themes. The basketball player "big brother" Morris Chestnut worked well as a trouble gifted basketball player who reluctantly takes Bow Wow under his wings and albeit predictable softens up in his parental role with the youngster. The scene where they paint geometry lessons on the side of his mansion was hilarious and keep up the importance of school! Kids do the darnest things and I can see a youngster after a pair of magical shoes clinging to a tree in a thunderstorm. Okay, as a parent thats dangerous and would not want to see my youngster dangling from this tree BUT I do remember my own exploits as a child doing much of the same type of daring challenges. Kids will be kids so this gives excellent opportunity for the parent to talk with their child about keeping it safe! The NBA should be elated to have been giving a more good-guy image then their typical bad boy look. Very satisfied with this film portraying a positive image for my children to watch. Go Ohio! :)

Not Bad For Its Type

Author: Jacob Rosen (bix171@comcast.net) from United States
19 July 2002

An unusually strong supporting cast (including Crispin Glover, Robert Forster, Eugene Levy and Anne Meara) enlivens this simple family comedy built around the appealing young actor Lil' Bow Wow. He plays an orphan who, upon finding a magical pair of sneakers, becomes an NBA superstar and in the process befriends another player (Morris Chestnut) with his own family problems. Bow Wow will have an appeal to children of various ages because his own age seems indeterminate; he can act like a teenager (managing various relationships in the orphanage, rallying his teammates) or a pre-teen (gorging himself on so much food he gets sick, saying his prayers at bedtime); and his winning smile makes him non-threatening to adults. There's absolutely nothing that isn't predictable here and the film itself culls themes and sequences from other family films such as `Home Alone' and `E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial'. There's also nothing objectionable either: it's barely above the level of a Disney Channel movie so kids will gobble it up, which isn't a bad thing. The NBA had a hand in making the film in an obvious attempt to improve its bad boy image, and naturally most of the real players come off as kindly, caring and ready to perform good works. (Fortunately, there are exceptions: Allen Iverson doesn't play cute and Gary Payton treats Bow Wow as an equal on the court, making him pay.) Not bad for its genre--that supporting cast definitely helps, especially the always-welcome Glover and Levy--but hardly memorable.

Excellent sports film for kids

Author: intelearts from the big screen
22 August 2008

I'm giving this a 10 because in its genre it shines - it really is a great sports movie for kids! Lil Bow Wow is great, very natural, and very likable and the supporting cast all do their thing and make this inoffensive, entertaining, and we found lot of reasons to smile broadly.

With LOADS of basketball any kid that likes the game will be happy - of course, teams and players will change, but this is still really fun.

It reminded me of the old Disney films where magic, or experiments, gave some special powers and poof! sit back and watch time....

Absolutely recommended for kids and parents alike... we all loved this and would watch again.

Best thing I can say is that the kids just wanted to run out in the garden and play ball afterward, which is a pretty positive result!!!

Alright.

Author: (nyyankeez11)
8 February 2003

*****SPOILER*****

It is an alright family movie. A lot of things aren't real or true. One thing I didn't was why Michael Jordan wasn't in the movie. The movie is partially based on Michael Jordan. Another thing was that it felt more like a kids movie than a regular general family movie like Rookie of the Year. It is related to Rookie of the Year in so many ways. Rookie of the Year was a better movie.

6/10 Stars

Magical Nikes OK with me

Author: view_and_review from California
14 May 2007

Like Mike was one of those fun family movies. I never had high expectations of the movie going in and subsequently I was pleasantly surprised. It is no masterpiece, but it is definitely a worthwhile-piece. Bow-Wow was decent as was the script. The movie held an even keel throughout, never getting too dull, but also never having any real riotous moments. Obviously the movie was a bit of a fantasy with a boy finding mystical shoes that gave him the skills of Michael Jordan; but hey, that is what made the movie as good as it was. I like the idea of using a kid as opposed to an adult so as to make the movie more entertaining. In fact, it reminds me of a story I wrote for a sixth grade project. All-in-all, a good movie, certainly better than average.

Wonderful movie!

Author: purr-fect2 from TN
19 July 2002

I took my 9yr old daughter and her friend to see this movie. We had so much fun! We laughed and laughed. GREAT family movie. One you can watch and not be offended with language, etc. We want to see it again. FUN FUN FUN!

A great film for the family

Author: Jonathan Marin (Npg816Marin88@AOL.com) from Bronx, NY
16 July 2002

I actually saw Like Mike the same day I saw the horrible Men in Black 2. Like Mike was really good. I feel this movie deserves more press than that garbage Men in Black 2. Lil Bow Wow actually suprised me with his acting. He was funny and sometimes dramatic. I really felt the character bond between Calvin (Lil Bow Wow) and his friend Murph (Jonathan Lipnicki). It was a cute film and can be great for the family. Parents take your kid to see Like Mike. I give it a perfect 10.

Every kid's dream

Author: AbhiMathews from Canada
31 August 2014

Playing basketball in the schoolyard and with friends is one of the most fun times in our lives as children. The courts are always a welcoming place for both experts and novice, and one where learning and fun are the crux. Like Mike brings the dreams of all our youth and broadcasts it. Living vicariously has never been better.

Whether it's the food service, free merchandise or simply having trivial matters no longer be worrisome, playing in the NBA is a dream we all have, albeit for different reasons. Coming from an orphanage, hard work is vital for success (as it is in most cases). When in a position where you're given the reins, you must capitalize. When given MJ's shoes, you make it count.

Like Mike is a fun movie. From the very first scene on the playground to the climactic finish, it's the tale about kids being kids, but still managing to play out their dreams.

An Entertaining Children's Sports Fable

Author: Desertman84 from United States
28 March 2013

Like Mike is a fantasy sports comedy film about a 14-year-old orphan that becomes an NBA superstar after trying on a pair of sneakers with the faded initials "M.J." inside he found. Pint-size rap music star Lil Bow Wow stars in it where he shows that he can play ball as well as he raps in this youth-oriented comedy about a young boy whose dream comes true in an unexpected way. The film was produced in association with NBA Entertainment and features cameo appearances by many NBA stars like Allen Iverson, Chris Webber, Jason Kidd, Vince Carter, Michael Finley, Steve Francis, Dirk Nowitzki, Desmond Mason, Tracy McGrady, Alonzo Mourning, Steve Nash and Gary Payton.

Calvin Cambridge is a 14-year-old boy, who, since the death of his parents, has been living in an orphanage run by the unpleasantly eccentric Stan Bittleman. While the tough but caring Sister Theresa tries to encourage the kids, Calvin knows that he and most of the other kids his age are poor prospects for adoption. Calvin loves basketball and idolizes Michael Jordan, but he's too short to be much of a challenge to the older kids when shooting hoop at the playground. One day, Calvin discovers a pair of old basketball sneakers with the initials "MJ" written on the inside. Calvin is convinced they once belonged to Michael Jordan, but he can hardly believe what happens when he puts them on -- suddenly he's able to make superhuman jump shots and dunks just like a miniature version of Air Jordan himself. Calvin's newly developed talent on the court comes to the attention of Frank Bernard, the manager of the Los Angeles Knights, an NBA team having a humiliating season. Bernard brings Calvin to the team as a novelty item, but with the help of Coach Wagner and the new kid's can-do attitude, the Knights start to climb out of the cellar and look like possible season champs. However, Tracey Reynolds, who used to be the team's star player, isn't happy to have his thunder stolen by a 14-year-old boy especially when he's made Calvin's roommate and guardian on the road.

This is a pleasant and innocuous diversion for kids despite its movie's predictable plot lines. Though it doesn't exactly offer any great shakes in terms of plot or character development, the film's entertaining enough to be watched. Bow Wow makes an impressive film debut; parents and children will love Calv's plucky can-do attitude; and the action sequences are given a little more enjoyment due to the presence of real life basketball pros. A fantasy fable that should keep everyone in the family entertained.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]