IMDb > Dark Water (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Honogurai mizu no soko kara

Dark Water More at IMDbPro »Honogurai mizu no soko kara (original title)

Page 10 of 17: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Hideo Nakata The Only Master Of Suspence!

Author: Anthimus from The Netherlands
5 June 2003

FIRST OF ALL ONE GOOD ADVICE!

Please if your are a person like me :-), who really diggs himself into the story/caracters/details and the great suspence Hideo Nakata creates

DON'T SEE IT WITH PEOPLE WHO START TO SAY SOMETHING AT MOST SCARY MOMENTS..

or even open there mouths few times in a "suspence movie" PERIOD! for me that can infect a movie bigtime. Even a small sentence can disturb the feeling of how you were following the story before.

I bet if you see Dark Water alone or with 100% quiet people, lights out, dolby surround for a good noise..and i mean the sound in DarkWater is FANTASTIC it will get you as small as an imp. And you vote a big 8.0!

See it the otherway you get comments like this.. mahh it was borring movie, and nothing happend! OFFCOURSE! not, you missed the suspence, by opening "the" mouth to much :-), and i didn't say "YOUR" gna gna...

Darkwater rocked like Ringu.. and if i think back on all the movies i'v seen, can someone please mail or tell me, any movies with the same style, or is Hideo Nakata the only master of this kind of suspence?

I'm not going to tell you anything about the movie YOU MUST SEE IT I DEMAND IT!

And take my advice for granted, it makes a big diffrence in how you see a movie! Hopefully most will agree :-)

I'm satisfied excelent movie!

Cheers

Superb psychological suspense

Author: seemore-3 from United Kingdom
16 May 2003

I saw this as part of a special screening where the audience had to fill out questionnaires at the end in order for the cinema to give it a 'recommended' star. I didn't even know what the movie was going to be before it came on.

As a fan of the Ring trilogy, The Eye, and Asian horror in general, I was pleasantly surprised to see it was Hideo Nakata's Dark Water.

I wasn't disappointed. This has all the disturbing hallmarks of Ringu et al. However, it is also a very thoughtful and moving essay on the problems of single parenthood, the effects of divorce on children and rejection.

Hitomi Kuroki struggles to maintain custody of her daughter whilst sending her to a school with abusive teachers, trying also to hold down a job. All the while, the ceiling to her apartment in a run down tenement block is dramatically leaking water.

We feel total sympathy for them both as their initial enthusiasm falls into fatigue at their situation.

Oh, did I also mention there is also the ghost of a little girl on the prowl.

This film succeeds on two levels. As a social commentary in a similar vein to Urban Ghost Story, and as a truly scary experience.

Hideo Nakata uses all the techniques he showed in Ringu to give us a genuinely disturbing experience. The Eastern style of acting is not to everyone's taste, but it is high quality nonetheless.

Disturbing and thought provoking, it will resonate in your mind long afterwards. Don't miss it.

Gloomy, Doomed and Tragic - I love it!!!

Author: Deran_Ludd from Seattle, United States
5 May 2003

This is by far a scarrier movie than any of the Ring movies. No gore, no violence,just unrelenty tension and and a sense of doom that starts with the first scene and carries you to the end. The actress who plays the mother is woman really right on. Utterly believable, well paced, gut wrenchingly tragic in her portrayal.

well displacement

Author: Boris-57 (bonzothegod@hotmail.com) from Brussels, Belgium
29 April 2003

Saw it yesterday and it scared the living daylights out of me. Because of the atmosphere, yes, but also because of "Ringu". I watched "Ringu" on TV a couple of months ago, and it was the most horrific experience of my life. And I mean that in the real sense: scared s***less (the topic of Ringu suits the TV-format very well by the way). So scared in fact, that much of the scariness of Dark Water came from anticipation of more of the same. Of course, it's spooky, but not so much as Ringu, because we don't get to care too much about the ghost, since there's only two people being bothered by it. In Ringu, you got the feeling that the tape could be in your mailbox the next morning. And, there you had added suspense in the end: you already knew what had happened, but you still were left in the dark as to how the curse worked. The fact that Dark Water does not have the revenge-theme makes it weaker as well, though the sentimental tone-switch at the end still has me contemplating whether that's a good move or not. Maybe a bit abrupt - suddenly the music swells, and the horror dissipates.

The greatest criticism however is the near-identity with "Ringu". Not only in atmosphere, because that would still be OK, but also in plot! I mean, the well is placed on the roof, the bloody nail-less fingers are replaced by a swollen child-corpse, we see no face of the girl. How formulaic can you get?

Conclusion: it's pretty well done, and when you haven't seen Ringu, none of the above will be of any problem, but if you really want to have the horror creep under your skin: rent Ringu.

ENDING NOT SO ENIGMATIC (SPOILERS)

Author: ChrisFrost
16 April 2003

Some people are baffled by this film's ending, by the choice the heroine makes. But not me. If you have not seen this film, then I suggest you stop reading.

SPOILERS

The heroine decided to "die" with the ghost because it was the best solution, in her troubled mind.

1.) If she stays in the flat with her daughter, then her daughter will eventually be killed by the ghost (as it had tried to do several times) so that it will have a mother.

2.) But if she moves again, she will lose all hope of keeping her daughter, because the courts will see her as unstable. She is in a lose-lose situation.

3.) So she sacrifices herself for her daughter. Giving peace to the ghost, but allowing her daughter to survive.

Definitely an intriguing end to a very intriguing film. Loved it very much.

Superb in every aspect

Author: Marcelo Vieira (marcelovieira) from Lisbon
28 March 2003

This movie is scary in two very distinct ways. One is the main ghost story, amazingly told with a masterful photography and perfect settings. The other is the drama of human relationships and loss intertwined in the plot in such a manner that the outcome is simply perfect. IMHO, the comparisons that some reviewers made to Ringu or even Shining are just plain silly. Hideo Nakata is a gifted filmmaker and have his own amazing style and, if you like the genre, Dark Water is a piece of art that no one should miss.

Don't watch this one alone

Author: mindless_junk
22 March 2003

This is one heck of a scary movie. A true psychological horror that keeps you on the edge of your seat. The music, the gloomy scenes, and the great camera angles all work together beautifully to keep the scary element throughout the entire movie.

My only complaint is that the ending is sort of weak, but credit should be given to the director for using an unconventional ending. All in all, not as good as Ringu, but nonethless, this one is a keeper.

A 8/10 on my book.

glorious Seikohorrar

Author: fishintheperculator from Hobart Tasmania
20 March 2003

DO bother seeking out this film, especially if you think that any film of recent years made in the US is scary. Forget Blair Witch, this is the real thing. All non-stop slow building of tension then no let up at all once he horror kicks in. Again, like Ringu, the sound effects and music are brilliant, and the very affecting storyline as well as being really scary is wonderfully acted and sensitively portrayed. Just a great film, sadly overlooked it seems. Maybe because the original title Dark Water seems to be unusable in the US. Track it down.

Sadder, and yet scarier, than hell...

Author: badsharkmovie from Somewhere in Time
15 March 2003

"Dark Water" the follow up to Hideo Nakata's "Ringu" is much better than it's predecessor. Usually, a film doesn't hit me hard enough to make me write a review, but this is one of the few that has. Highly recommended, especially for lovers of bootleg/Japanese film collectors.

A classic horror title not to be missed

Author: Krakn3Dfx from Denver, CO
3 March 2003

First of all, let me address the neverending comparison of Dark Water to Ringu. There is a single scene near the end of Ringu that I don't believe will ever be matched when it comes to scaring the living daylights out of me. I literally moved few inches in my seat when it happened, and even though Dark Water has some fairly good scare scenes, nothing matches Ringu for that single scene.

Having said that, Dark Water is an incredible movie that offers more scares throughout than Ringu did. From the moment Ikuko and her mom walk into the apartment complex, you know the place isn't exactly right, and strange happenings are thrown at you frequently enough that it doesn't get stale for a majority of the movie. There are a few choice scenes that made me jump pretty good, and overall Dark Water keeps a consistently spooky tone that keeps you hooked until the very end. Some people weren't happy with the ending, and I tend to agree that it seems more tacked on than it probably could have. Having said that, I don't think it took anything away from the film and if anything it offered some closure that you don't normally see in horror films. I would highly recommend Dark Water if you were a fan of Ringu. Both films are spectacular examples of what movies that don't depend on blood and guts and scores of murdered teenagers can accomplish.