IMDb > Dark Water (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Honogurai mizu no soko kara

Dark Water More at IMDbPro »Honogurai mizu no soko kara (original title)

Page 8 of 17: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

very creepy

Author: doctorgonzo23 from Canada
8 July 2004

Well, as I was watching this movie, a few things occured to me. Firstly, the pacing and overal atmosphere is very similar to Ringu. However, I was sure that this would NOT be re-made in the US. Apparently I was wrong. I advise you to see the original before an american director wrecks it. It is quite slow, but the climax is worth the wait. If you're looking for wild gore and violence (a la Ichi the Killer) pass this one by. If you liked Ringu, there is no reason you won't get a bang out of this. One thing I never get tired of in Asian movies is the bizzare directions the plot takes. I highly reccomend this film. There is something very creepy about movies that focus on the dark nature of children.

truly unique, a new breed of thriller in my eyes

Author: ukwonderboy (ukwonderboy@hotmail.com) from Brighton, uk
29 June 2004

I've seen my fair share of thrillers and I can safely say that 'dark water' engaged me in a way that other thrillers tend to miss out.

The acting was absolutely compelling and it is very easy to believe in the characters and personally I couldn't help but feel emotionally swept in by both this shocking but very emotional acting

at times, dark water may seem long and dull, however this builds up to what I can say is a truly brilliant and disturbing scene...this is the climax to end all climax's, just seeing this scene will make the wait worth while...guaranteed.

'Dark Water' may well be the thriller of 2002, with its mind boggling plot, and its great ability to build up tension and keep its audience on the edge of there seats!...if you liked 'Ring' you'll love this one!

Very, very good!!

Author: m-vanthof from Amsterdam, Netherlands
16 June 2004

Just want to say that I saw this one in the cinema and it was great!! The movie has a dark atmosphere. It has some good scares and the music/sound effects in the movie are great as well. A very good horror movie without blood and gore but with a good story and an atmosphere which fits well to the movie. Also great camera-angles (close-up of a face who looks at something, but what is it? It must be something scary, then the camera turns very fast at something (I am not telling you what)all together with creepy sound effects). So I recommend this to everyone who likes a good scare. I heard they are going to do a remake but I really don't understand why. This version is perfect, nothing Hollywood can add. Ringu was great as well but I liked this one even better. So go see this version!! Enjoy!

Simply Terrifying

Author: GeorgeFan from England
8 April 2004

When I saw "Ring" I was slightly disappointed, as many claims were made to it being chilling, scariest-movie-of-the-year blah blah blah, and I was a little doubtful about whether I'd like this film. Well, I did. It was amazing, and I haven't been this scared since I was a little kid. This film goes above all the usual slasher/teen horror movies, and actually tries to scare the audience, rather than have a few jumpy moments.

A divorcee and her daughter move into a flat, but some freaky goings-on and wicked damp make her fear for her, and her daughter's, safety. My only concern in this film was the parental skills of the mother, but thats by the by. My favourite actor in this film was by far Ikuku, aged 6. Kind of like a Japanese, female Hayley Joel Osmont, only without the same facial expression throughout the whole movie.

A great psychological horror, I'd recommend this to people who aren't confused easily and like complex horrors.

Interesting horror flick

Author: truthdude from Mumbai, India
17 March 2004

Hideo Nakata is a good director. Although the film is just about ok...not very moving, thrilling etc. The plot is lame and you can predict the end, before you're halfway into the movie.

I wouldn't really recommend this movie to a die hard horror freak...but then this movie is not a complete waste of time. The stark environment, the background score..is good enough to just about make it it a horror flick.But if your looking for action, go watch a Hollywood production.

The actors are great. Hitomio Kuroki plays the role of the almost neurotic mother with great elan. Ikoku, her 6 year old, is an absolute delight to watch as she skips across the roof.

The rest of the action id diverted between a divorce proceeding, a missing girl and lots of..well..water.

Great!!

Author: toffeesi from Bolton
16 February 2004

Having seen Ring and Ring 2, I had to see this film.

I had a vauge idea about the film as I had spoken to a freind who had seen it, but due to it being a night out and having one or two too many buds, the info I was given was a little hazy!!

So I rented it out...

This is a GREAT film, it was so well crafted that you are hooked straight away, the story is simple and the story is told in the same way, this I feel adds to the strange and eerie feel the film has all the way through.

I thought this film was a great horror, no slashing and gore and no obvious attempts to make you jump, just slow, eerie, and very tense horror, that makes the hairs on your neck stand on end......

I would recommend this to anyone who likes horror!!

Far more scary and sophisticated

Author: Leonhart-PL from Warsaw, Poland
5 January 2004

I think that 'Honogurai mizu no soko kara' is better than 'Ringu', I was deeply moved by the story of alone mother confronting a gost/lost soul of a lone daughter. The atmosphere is very gloomy and sticky, the fear of the main character gives you the creeps, and keeps you intense to the very last scene, though you can know the ending in about half of the movie. The music is great and climatic, there's a lot of light work making some shoots very interesting - it's quite a big thing to film a regular building of flats so it looks a lot more disturbing than an old cliche haunted mansion. The ending leaves you with a shadow of anxiety and many thoughts.

That's one of the best japanese horrors I've seen, and one of the greatest thrillers I've ever seen - no wonder holywood is preparing a remake 'cause the idea is awesome. If you like to be afraid - and I mean AFRAID - see this film without hesitation. It simply can't dissappoint you.

-9/10-

Good, but could have pushed the envelope more

Author: fasc from US of A
26 November 2003

The biggest disappointment of this film is that the trailer gives away the entire story, and the only thing that surprises is the coda.

Good visuals, tho the "turn...pause...shocked expression!" was a bit overdone. Could have used more stingers (re: the calligraphy ghost in "The Eye") and a bit more symbolism with the rain.

**Possible spoiler** The solution to the story--near the end when Mom rushes into the elevator--could have had more impact if we'd gotten some better exposition on Mom's past. My first assumption was that she was the "thinking only of herself" mother referred to earlier in the film, but the last line of the film revealed I was wrong, and that was disappointing.

I still look forward to Nakata's next offering, tho. :o)

unsettling, in a good way

Author: shaolingill from Leeds
28 October 2003

This could well be the most frightening movie I have seen at a cinema. It is a masterful lesson in atmospheric fear, that doesn't have to rely on shock tactics common in most, if not all, Hollywood horror films. As with Ringu, this Japanese movie draws us into the world of fantasy undercut with an unsettling, provocative tension that doesn't even let go in the film's denouement. The future of horror lies in the hands of films like these which can fill the audience with a sense of unease which will stay with them longer than the average, mainstream shocker.

The 1st Japanese film i have ever seen.

Author: jazzmon (jazzmon@hotmail.com) from London, England
10 October 2003

As this is the 1st Japanese film i have ever seen, i have to say that i am impressed.

Hideo Nakata worked as a genius on this film. His visual style is unequaled, without a doubt.

A lot of English-speaking residents are put off by films in foreign languages, but after seeing this film, i am thankful that i saw it, and i am inspired to see other foreign language films, especially Japanese films.

For those of you who don't like foreign language films, this film (Dark Water) is being remade by Hollywood. It would probably be worse than this original, but interesting all the same.