IMDb > Secret (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Secret More at IMDbPro »Raaz (original title)

Horror with a message...

Author: hansbearnl from Netherlands
3 August 2002

Asian filmmakers keep surprising us these past years. India does it this time with horror as part of a musical film. In the spirit of Bollywood. But I must say, I have never been a horrorfan. And so I actually was not sure if I should watch this movie. No regrets. The story is good, although the full explanation of what happened in the past is a bit long. But it is Bollywood, and they don't send you home after 74 or 90 minutes watching in full speed. They give you value for your money. Even the make up is well done, compare to other movies in it's genre, and the music is at the right time, the right place and in the right mood. Bollywood has done well with this movie, but I still prefer the romantic stuff...

Better then i expected

Author: mucahid from holland
25 May 2005

When I was watching Raaz, I was annoyed how cliché this movie was. There are what, thousand haunting house movies made? Well, with that in my mind, I still wanted to see this movie. Approximately one hour and a half, there are several interesting twist in this movie, and that made this movie very interesting. The movie was not really scary. But I think this movie is still very entertaining to watch. The acting is really good. The setting was very beautiful, the surroundings were very nice shot. The special effects were for a bollywood movie decent. I did not like the songs completely, because the voice of that girl was not nice. Well all in all, definitely worth watching. It deserves a 8/10

Not truly bad, but not totally great either

Author: moviefreakazoid from England
11 November 2004

If you really want to watch this movie at its optimum, you have to follow certain guidelines. Watch late at night. Sit alone or maybe with someone ;) Make sure the house is real quite.

To enjoy a movie as the director intended, an ambiance must be created, such as that created on a late night showing at the cinema. With that in mind, here's my view.

This movie was shown recently on a British T.V. channel late at night. I had heard good buzz about it when it was released, I love the soundtrack and so I went in open-minded.

However with that in mind, I didn't enjoy the movie too much.

As you will know, this is a horror flick with that psychological element thrown in along with some of the Hindi trimmings, thrown in for extra measure. The plot of What Lies Beneath is regurgitated and slightly repackaged for the audience.

I enjoyed the opening sequences, although clichéd to an extent, they were interesting. I think the introduction of Bipashu Basu (B.B) and Dino Morea (D.M) added weaknesses to the story. B.B isn't one of the strongest actresses. D.M didn't really have much to do. The introduction set the scene well, however the movement from the introduction to the main characters was shoddy, it wasn't fulfilling.

As the story progresses, the scare factor does increase, however you feel as if you can predict the next scene. Don't get me wrong, this was an enjoyable movie, not something that makes you look at the clock every 5 minutes. The director does help produce some tension in some of the scenes-you know those kinds of scenes even when you know something bad is going to happen, and you're chewing on your nails! The music scenes do fit in well; the songs are really good, although I would say the opening number is pretty weak.

Although the movie may be a treat for those viewers who have not seen What Lies Beneath, this movie offers nothing more than an above the average retelling. The producers could have made something more of this film, there is great potential in the storyline. The cgi doesn't help at all, when used. It only helps create that element of the horror being false.

A few adjustments to the story would have helped make a truly great movie. However the final product is a Hollywood rip-off, packaged for a different audience. Although members of the target audience may enjoy the movie, this does no favours for boosting the opinion held by many people of the lack of originality of Hindi films.

My opinion- Not a total waste of time, the movie has its plus points which will keep you engrossed. However if you are looking for something original on the cinematic plateau, you won't find it here. My rating 6/10

The Best Indian Horror Film Ever Made Nothing Can Surpass It

Author: M MALIK from Pakistan
19 November 2012

Raaz is the best Indian horror film ever made there are new horror films in India coming but nothing can surpass this is terms of suspense,music & the story.

this is a remake of Harrison ford film what lies beneath but they took the story & made their own Indian version of it.

the cast was new & superb here Dino Morea & Bipasha Basu looked so great together.i was a fan of them & wish they were a real life couple this movie made me a fan of them.it gained them a lot of fans in Pakistan & other countries also.

upon releasing this film has gained a cult status in India & Pakistan the songs of this film became a huge hit in 2002 along with kasoor 2001,gupt 1997.daud 1997 & dhadkan 2000.i know this because i am a huge bollywood fan.& have these dvds & music of this films they are my favorites

the story is about a couple in India things unfold when Sajnana(bipasha) had an accident on the road & she decides to live in rural area the rest film you'll have to see yourself.

the acting was great specially by Ashutosh Rana & malini sharma.

my rating is 10/10 just take my advice buy this film & you will love it there are sequels to this film like raaz 2 2009 & raaz 3 2012 but they are worst films compared to this.raaz is excellent

Do you want to want to know the secret? Watch Raaz

The only horror movie very close to my heart

Author: jmathur_swayamprabha from India
8 April 2011

I don't like watching horror movies at all. Despite being a movie buff, this is one kind of movies which I always prefer to avoid. Still there is a horror movie which I like to watch again and again and which, quite unusually for me, I find very close to my heart. It's Raaz (2002).

Raaz (secret / mystery) is the story of Sanjana (Bipasha Basu) and Aditya (Dino Morea) who are facing problems in their marital life and move to Ooty for a break from the routine and set the conjugal troubles right. There Sanjana starts experiencing strange and frightening things and finally comes to know of the existence of a spirit (of a female) haunting their house there. One day the mystery behind the reason of the haunting of spirit gets revealed before her and the dark truth hidden in the life of her husband becomes naked before her eyes. However the final challenge appears when she finds the life of her husband under threat. How she is able to save him and her married life as well is the climax.

The theme of this movie is said to have been picked from the Hollywood movie - What Lies Beneath (2000). However I find it closer to an old Hindi movie - Mangalsutra (1981). In fact, we can trace the origin of this story back to the tale of Savitri embedded in the Hindu mythology who was able to get her deceased husband, Satyavaan from Yama, the god of death. The ultimate thing which matters is the treatment of the plot on the screen which is wonderful and the melodious songs are the icing on the cake. The story has been presented less like a horror movie and more like an edge-of-the-seat musical thriller which does not allow the viewer to leave it even for a second.

The movie has ample romantic moments. And I praise the director, Vikram Bhatt for the fact that the scenes of physical intimacy have been presented so artistically that not even a particle of vulgarity is felt while watching them. The melodious and touching romantic songs add to the flavour of the romance visible on the screen.

The movie runs on the theme of the traditional Indian wife's forgiving her husband for his past sings and standing by him in the adverse times (despite the resentment in her heart). The Indian ladies have always been taught to treat their husband as God. That's why I have compared this movie to the Satyavaan-Savitri Katha instead of the Hollywood movie.

Technically the movie is just superb. The special effects (especially in the climax) are highly admirable and the background score is perfect to render shiverings to the audience.

Nadeem-Shravan alongwith Sameer, the lyricist have done an outstanding job by preparing unforgettable songs even in the 21st century. Not all the songs have been kept in the movie but listening to the album is a mesmerizing experience for any melody-lover. One song - Kitna Pyara Hai Ye Chehera is sung (and played on the harmonium) by me at times. It's based on Raag Bhairavi. However the best song of the album is - Aapke Pyar Mein Hum Sanwarne Lage. Most of the songs are in the voices of Alka Yagnik and Udit Narayan and they have done full justice to the job of the lyricist and the composers by singing superbly.

This is the movie which lifted Bipasha Basu to stardom. Her performance deserves all the accolodades showered on her. Dino Morea and Malini Sharma (she strangely disappeared from bollywood after this movie) have also done well. Ashutosh Rana as the professor studying the supernatural has, once again, delivered a great performance. The supporting cast has done justice to the roles assigned.

Despite being a horror-movie-hater, I watched Raaz twice in the theatre and I don't mind watching it again on VCD / DVD. It's definitely the best horro-cum-suspense thriller made in India during the past two-three decades. If you like thrillers, I strongly recommend it to you.

Excellent Musical Scores

Author: Uriah43 from Amarillo, Texas
24 March 2013

A group of college students are having a good time in the woods playing "Spin the bottle". When the bottle points at a beautiful woman named "Nisha" (Mink Singh) she playfully runs off rather than kiss the young man (Ali Asghar) she is supposed to. While alone and in the dark she is possessed by an evil spirit and then unexpectedly attacks Ali before finally being confined in a mental hospital. She dies not long afterward but the evil spirit isn't quite through. Meanwhile, a young man named "Aditya Dhanraj" (Dino Morea) and his gorgeous wife "Sanjana Danraj" (Bipasha Basu) are having marital problems and decide to take a vacation. Unfortunately, their destination is the same place where the evil spirit possessed and killed Nisha. And it is waiting for them. At any rate, rather than giving away any of the mysteries in this film and spoiling it for those who haven't seen it, I will just say that I really enjoyed this movie. It has a good plot and some excellent musical scores. Likewise, Bipasha Basu not only looked nice but she put on a fine performance as well. That said, I highly recommend this film for those who enjoy a decent horror movie or Bollywood films in general.

Excellent creation by the Bollywood.

Author: lateefwagay-164-546714 from India
23 January 2012

Well,i think that this movie is romantic,thriller and full of suspense.Vikram Bhat has executed this movie in good order and the Dialogues in the movie were excellent.The timing of music and the songs all were excellent.

I didn't really know that was this movie a sequel of English movie "What Lies Beneath" but i found that if we compare the plot of both the movies then Secret is well plotted.

All the characters were amazing and i think this movie is Bipasha's turning point in her career.I request you to go to the Theatres and watch this romantic,horror,thriller movie and Analyse how Bollywood is making efforts to improve there art in these kind of the movies.

Not bad...

Author: Ace_of_Hearts from Holland
13 November 2003

All these rave reviews are kind of surprising, because ...surprise... it's not such a good movie. Frankly, if you read between the lines, the only reason this movie is receiving so many rave reviews, is because it is thought to be one (or at least a few) of a kind. Because this 'Raaz' is supposed to be a horror movie. This fact alone is kind of sad, because the corrollary is that if Bollywood came up with a flick that featured full nudity, this would also have to be a hit regardless of the story, just because it was one of a kind.

The story is about a married couple, Sanjana and Aditya, on the brink of divorce. To try to mend their marriage they decide to go to the place they got together. But guess what, the house is haunted. By whom? And why? Those are pretty much the two questions it revolves around.

Having seen quite a few Hollywood horror movies and having seen 'What lies beneath' I knew what the story was about before we even reached intermission. *POSSIBLE SPOILER* The entire movie Sanjana is haunted by a ghost who tries to scare her with wind (yes, you read that right, wind), falling spades, closing doors and windows and ofcourse very fake blood. In one sequence the chandelier in the house starts bleading. Naturally, just having blood trickle down the chandelier would have added to the creep factor, so the director decided on a (very fake) blood shower instead. What Hollywood has done to blowing things up, this movie has done to blood.

What I also found quite annoying was the lack of consistency and logical thinking. *VERY BIG SPOILER* At one point the ghost takes possession of a man's body. A man who is dead. When the man is crushed between a tree and a car, the ghost seems to lose consciousness?! How is this possible? If a ghost can possess a dead body, surely it can possess a crushed dead body. And if the ghost can possess a dead body, why doesn't she just take control of her own body which has just been dug up. Or of the unconscious body of the best friend of the lead. Or even of the lead herself. As with all horrors, this one is also rife with inconsistencies.

This all makes it seem that I hated the movie. Well, I didn't. Bipasha Basu is as always extremely fetching. And Dino also delivers quite a performance. Plus you have to admire Bollywood tackling issues like adultery. *SPOILER* Though, the ending of Sanjana taking Aditya back after not only cheating on her but solely being responsible for a ghost trying to whack her, was very weak. It would have been much better if they would have let her dump his ass.

If you wanna be scared out of your wits watching a horror movie, this ain't it. You'll be better off turning to Hollywood for movies like Child's Play, Resident Evil or even What Lies Beneath. If you just wanna enjoy yourself for 2+ hours, this will definitely do the trick.

**/5 stars

For both Bollywood and Horror fans

Author: gila_film from Medan, Indonesia
19 January 2003

Taking inspired by `What Lies Beneath', `Raaz' become one of the rare scary movies that ever made in Bollywood and the outcomes is a fine and surprisingly good.

The plot is about Sanjana (Bipasha Pasu) and Aditya (Dino Morea), a couple on the verse of divorce. For the memories sake, they attempt to save their marriage by visiting the place where they first fall in love. At the beginning, everything seems run well, until Sanjana always experience strange and weird events that lead Sanjana to believe that their house is haunted. The plot is getting darker and Sanjana must find the secret behind it or her very existence will decease.

Being predictable because of the plot, `Raaz' is still a well packed flick, because Vikram Bhatt doesn't waste time with the usual cliché. He just goes straight to the point, even in the very beginning. In general, the film oozes in a glossy style and fit the American standard of horror movies. Won't disappoint you.

Different...Excellent!

Author: AragornsQueen from Cape Town, South Africa
28 February 2002

The summary says it all. This movie may not be different in the sense that its original - not at all, in fact there is a lot about it that is ripped from other movies - Bollywood and Hollywood. But, what a relief from the other romantic movies making its rounds. This was one of the most enjoyable movies i have seen this year, and im sure everyone else will fell the same way.

Bipasha Basu...wow, what can i say. She is so talented and not to mention beautiful. if her solid performance in raaz does not boost her career, noting will. Dino Morea was excellent as well. What a couple. the chemistry is amazing, so they must be doing something right.

on a whole, a wonderful movie, that for once, has you guessing till the end. A must see!