IMDb > The Lizzie McGuire Movie (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lizzie McGuire Movie

The Lizzie McGuire Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Sick of people cutting down lizz and nice Hillary!

Author: beatles1 from PA Usa
4 May 2004

I am writing this message on all the bad negative bashing on Lizzie Mcguire. First off I want to say I have a pretty good and diverse taste in films. I am into mostly classics of the 60s and 70s such as Chinatown, the Godfather and other movies of the time peroid. But like other genres also like horror, sci fi, good dramas. And every now and then a good old fashioned family film is fun to watch. I had read about Hillary Duff and that her show lizzie Mcguire was a big hit which my little niece watches it so I was like what the hell try it out. I loved it! It was real cute and fun with a little message behind it-what family film doesn't. I think Hill is so much more nice and sweet then all these other sleazy trampy young girl stars out there. Hell I have to admit even the songs weren't that bad, kind of catchy. That girl from Mad TV was great! I laughed my ass off as soon she came into the picture. She rules!

So anyway about all these bad messages posted about this film and Hillary. I know people have the right to their opinions but come on it's a family film! What do you expect Chinatown! Disney makes makes movies for everyones viewing. Can't expect something deep and disturbing. You can't review this film to heavy because it's family oriented. And as far as Hillary goes come on she's only what 16, 17? Can't expect her to do academy award work-esp for Disney! Maybe she will get better when she is older, if not who cares! She seems like a real smart down to earth gal with a good head on her shoulders. She is smart to not stooping low and cutting down Avril like she has been doing to her, saying things like she's such as mommys girl and belittling her. With all the violence and hardcore language in films today sometimes it's nice to watch a nice, feel good light family film which is is what Lizzie Mcguire has to offer.

Hill if you are out there I am behind you 100%! Keep up the good work! Dave from PA. PS just ignore Avril. You are above that

A good ending to the Lizzie TV Series

Author: kkurtz6 from United States
23 February 2005

My girls are 8 and 5, are fans of the Lizzie TV show, and they love this movie. It's funny, exciting, inspiring and sweet. I don't know how many times I've had to rewind the last music scene for them to watch and dance to. The soundtrack is very good with a large variety of artists and music styles. This is one "kid" movie I enjoy watching even though I've already seen it again and again. Hilary Duff is very convincing in this roll, and the rest of the cast do a great job, esp. "Miss Ungermyer" and "Matt" are very funny. This is a great ending to the Lizzie TV Series. I would recommend this movie to anyone who likes the "Lizzie" series, young girls from five to fifteen and anyone else not too "cool" to watch a fun lighthearted movie. Great "pajama party" movie.

Harmless and Enjoyable

Author: christian123
13 July 2005

The Lizzie McGuire Movie is a nice film to watch if you have nothing better to do as its harmless entertainment. Lizzie McGuire and her pals Gordo, Kate and Ethan all pack their bags on a class trip to Italy. Once there, Lizzie is mistaken for pop star Isabella and begins to falls for Paolo, who is Isabella's ex-boyfriend. When Lizzie's mom, dad and brother Matt get wind of this, they all jet their way to Italy. While, Lizzie is transformed from a normal teen to a beautiful pop star. The plot follows the last episode of Lizzie McGuire and this film is pretty much just another episode. I do watch the TV series sometimes and its not a great show but it isn't terrible either. Hilary Duff stars as Lizzie and she does a good job of playing her. Many people claim that she is a terrible actress but she does have some charm in the roles she plays. Most of the cast from the show appear in the film except for Lalaine. Adam Lamberg plays Gordo and I think he does a good job, kind of an annoying character though. Robert Carradine and Hallie Todd play Lizzie's parents. They both do a good job but don't really appear in the film very much. Some other characters that appear are Matt, who is Lizzie's brother and Kate, who is Lizzie's ex-best friend. There are a couple of new people in the film as well, like Alex Borstein. She steals the film and gives a funny performance. Yani Gellman plays Lizzie's love interest and I thought he did a poor job but it was his first major role. Jim Fall directs this film the same as if it had been a regular episode so don't expect anything out of the ordinary. While, I did enjoy the movie, at times it felt like it was just made for money purposes and not entertainment value. It does feel sitcom-Ash which isn't surprising. Though that sometimes does get annoying. It was predictable but that was expected. It was kind of cheesy at times but its still good fun. It wasn't made to win Oscars, it was made so its audience could have some fun and I think most people will. It's a short, inoffensive film and just don't expect too much. So if you like the show then you will probably like the film since it's the same. If you hate the show then you should just skip this movie. In the end, this is harmless entertainment that wouldn't hurt you if you watched it. Rating 7/10

Ludicrous plotting but sassy enough to be watchable

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
1 September 2003

After graduating from high school, Lizzie is allowed to be part of a group of students that goes to Italy on a tour of historical monuments with the iron willed Ungermeyer. Out on one of their tours a famous singer mistakes Lizzie for his singing partner Isabella. Explaining how Isabella needs help and how Lizzie can help by pretending to be her, Paolo gets her to go along with the mistaken identity (for the resemblance is uncanny). However she begins to fall for him but he may not be all he seems. To make matters worse Lizzie's brother finds out via the web and begins to stir trouble.

I have never seen the TV or even heard of it (or the girl involved) but I was on a 9 hour flight to Atlanta and this was the movie that they were showing to help me pass my time (damn you economy class!) so I gave it a reluctant go. The film sets it's stall out straight away with a lively musical number and the cliché of teenage girl and nosy little brother etc. The animated add ins are not nearly as funny as they think they are but they are all part of the charm and energy that made this film watchable.

While it is clearly aimed at girls younger than McGuire herself, it is quite sassy and energetic. The plot is utter nonsense from start to finish but it bussles along just about well enough to get by. Duff herself is quite nice in the role – she is quite bubbly plus she isn't exactly hard on the eye! Borstein as Ungermeyer is worth a laugh or two but the majority of the teenage cast are average – esp Gellman who is given very little to do outside of talking 'ina da stereotyped Aitalian's accento!'.

Overall I stress that I have no intention of ever actually watching this movie again, but can't pretend that it's sassy, bubbly and energetic style helped me forget my flight for 90 minutes and also just about manage to find the find the fun hidden within the absurd plot.

Hilary Duff Is So Beautiful!

Author: livingdeadgirl_13 from vancouver
18 May 2003

Lizzie McGuire(Hilary Duff) has finally graduated from middle school and now her class is taking a two week trip to Rome along with her best friend Gordo(Adam Lamberg), the snobby and popular Kate Sanders(Ashlie Brillault) and the airheaded but hilarious Ethan Craft(Clayton Snyder). Once Lizzie arrives in Rome, she meets Paolo(Yani Gellman)who is a famous pop singer and he mistakes Lizzie for Isabella, who is part of his pop duo and looks identical to Lizzie. Now Lizzie starts sneaking out of the hotel where her class is staying just to see Paolo and spend time with him. Paolo convinces her to pretend to be Isabella so that they can perform together at a big music show. But Paolo is not as perfect as Lizzie thinks and he might just not be the right guy for her. In the meantime, Gordo starts falling for Lizzie and tries to warn her about Paolo. I thought this was a very sweet and harmless movie. I didn't think that I would enjoy it as much as I did. I am a big fan of the Lizzie McGuire show and I was also not disappointed with the movie. Sure, it's made for young teenage girls so obviously not everybody will enjoy it. I thought it was a very fun movie, it also had a lot of funny moments, especially thanks to Alex Borstein who played Lizzie's teacher. Hilary Duff is so beautiful, I couldn't keep my eyes away from her. Anyways, I really enjoyed The Lizzie McGuire Movie and I would give it 8/10.

Underrated

Author: Onur from London, U.K.
24 March 2008

Why is the rating for this movie only 4.8/10? Yeah, it's not exactly first-class entertainment, but it definitely deserves at least a 7/10. It's good, clean fun, and very entertaining for children and adults alike. It's Lizzie McGuire (probably the only decent programme on the Disney Channel - oh why did they stop it?) and her pals having an adventure in Italy! But whilst this is just an ordinary Roman history trip for everyone else, Lizzie gets whisked away to stardom when she meets Italian popstar, Paolo Valisari. Full of friendship problems, other catastrophes, Matt and Melina's usual (international) shenanigans and a little bit of (clean) romance, the Lizzie McGuire movie fails not to entertain. It's the perfect film to watch on a rainy day (or whilst driving through hot, remote areas of Turkey in a coach - that's how I watched it).

A slightly amusing, hammy, mid-teenage girl flick that eschews any real character development in favour of Duff's apparent charm and seminal comedic ability

Author: skottyrock from www.appallingtrash.com headquarters, Tokyo
23 August 2004

*MOST PROBABLY CONTAINS SPOILERS*

STARRING Hilary Duff as Lizzie McGuire, Adam Lamberg, Yani Gellman, Alex Borstein

Let me start by saying that I'm no snob when it comes to watching movies. I'll usually watch (and enjoy) pretty much anything: be it, say, classic Hitchcock; laughable Irwin Allen disaster pics; mindless action flicks; or even cutesy-pie movies aimed at prepubescent girls.

That, dear IMDb surfers, brings me to The Lizzie McGuire Movie, a slightly amusing, hammy, mid-teenage girl flick that eschews any real character development in favour of Duff's apparent charm and seminal comedic ability to fill the ninety or so minutes. I should add that I have never seen (and will probably never see) an episode of Lizzie McGuire, the now-defunct Disney-owned television show that spawned - surprise, surprise - this Disney-owned family release. I suppose this movie was a farewell to the Lizzie McGuire character - but I swear it'll be lost on you if you are one of those who has not seen the television show. Take, for instance, the whole subplot about Lizzie's younger brother and his blonde cohort's reason for trying to show up Lizzie at every turn (which was totally lost on me), and classmate Kate's reason for being such a bitch to Lizzie (??).

But anyhoo, bubbly Lizzie heads to Italy with her classmates to see the sights of Rome, but spends very little actual time with them. (The extras playing her classmates must have felt quite wooden making this movie, having nothing much to say or do.) On the other hand, Lizzie's motormouth teacher (Borstein, a former MAD TV regular) plays (or should I say, overplays) the role of Miss Ungermeyer, and, as a result, comes across as very grating. The scene where teacher and students visit the Trevi Fountain is especially grating (and cringeworthy). Ungermeyer, with an American flag conspicuously in hand, cuts a swath through the local population - and 'mows down' any cultural sensitivities by obnoxiously barking "Scusi" and "Grazie"at the locals.

Without venturing into too much detail about the fairly tame and somewhat lame storyline, Lizzie's transformation from school student to fresh-faced singer is mildly amusing (but an oh-so-obvious marketing ploy by Duff's music label). TIRED is one word to describe this same old 'girl comes out of her shell' storyline that's been done a million time before. Private Benjamin, Protocol, Educating Rita, Romancing the Stone, Legally Blonde, and The Princess Diaries, come to mind as a few (more successful) titles of this particular genre.

So, if you're looking for screen chemistry, you may find some between leads Duff and Gellman. If you're looking for a movie that showcases Rome's beauty, this movie won't disappoint. If you're looking for something above average, with a touch of magic to it, you probably won't find it here.

Excellent little movie !

Author: poem from Germany
30 November 2003

This is a really charming little movie about a girl who travels with her class to Rome, and becomes a rockstar there because she looks so much like another rockstar there (who is played by the same actress). The main story is mostly harmless, but it contains a lot of funny characters. I absolutely loved it and in fact already watched it twice, and if it stays in cinema a little bit, I might even watch it another time.

Surprisingly good

Author: 137365 from Richmond, Virginia
13 August 2003

I rented this movie instead of seeing it in the theaters, because I expected a simple little teen romance film. It has romance, but it had a surprisingly better story than I expected. I actually, went back and watched the final sequences over again. The movie appears a straight forward and pleasant film until just before the end when you get hit by a very unexpected twist. I'm old enough to play Lizzie's dad and yet throughly enjoyed this film, it's not just a teen date film.

Fine for kids, and adults if you ignore the potholes in the story

Author: bluzman from United States
5 May 2003

I ended up seeing this show because my daughter is a big fan of the TV show. It was moderately entertaining and amusing. I am certain, if I were a adolescent/pre-teen girl, that I would enjoy it a lot.

My biggest complaints, as an adult viewer, were the fairly obvious potholes in the story.

#1. Paolo sang worse than me, which is truly amazing. In reality, if he was ever to get to the point of being a star with the ability to have all the fancy manipulations used to make his voice sound delightful on the studio cuts he was lip-syncing, he would have to a fairly decent singer to get any kind of break.

#2. The setting was in Italy, but everyone seemed more comfortable using English, except for the hotel clerk, whose language trouble was comic relief and the two girls the boys try to meet.

#3 Lizzie is substituting for is masquerading as an Italian popstar in a scenario full of Italians, but no one seems to notice she can't speak any Italian, except for "ciao" and a couple other words.

#4 At the end, when the family and friends burst through security at the awards ceremony, like that could happen, they end up front and center, like those seat were just sitting there reserved for the first group of gate crashers to coming busting in. And the crows seemed to be predominantly kids and average folks, not the pretentious wannabes and celebrities that surely would have made up the crowd at a real award ceremony.

The one thing I did like about the movie, and the TV show, is the approx. 3 year younger looking little cartoon Lizzie that regularly pops up. It is a really good way to handle inner dialogue and does really add something positive to the show.

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]