IMDb > Demon Under Glass (2002) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Demon Under Glass

Demon Under Glass (V) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

A new independent film that really makes the grade.

Author: C.J. (cajole) from Washington, USA
26 July 2002

Demon Under Glass is a different take on the vampire legend, a detective story, a medical mystery, and a disturbing examination of how far man may go when he believes that the ends justify the means.

The film is by turns thrilling, gruesome, cynically humorous, and thought-provoking, and the cast is up to the task. Jason Carter (Babylon 5) is both appealing and terrifying as the vampire Molinar, and Garett Maggart (The Sentinel) demonstrates emotional range as the conscripted, and conflicted, Dr. Joe McKay. Their relationship as the story develops is well-crafted and draws the viewer in and holds him. The veteran Jack Donner as the lead scientist, Dr. Bassett, well illustrates the occasional moral ambiguity of science, and fascinates as he declines toward madness in his single-minded focus on his research goals.

The film is engaging and enjoyable, and an outstanding first effort for new director Jon Cunningham and writers Cunningham and Deborah Warner. I definitely recommend this film, and look forward to their next effort.

Vampires and half-naked Kira Reed

Author: Leonard Smythe (lenny404)
18 May 2003

I heard of the negative hype about this B horror flick and thought I'd buy it and see what all the bashing was about. What a surprise! Generic, white-bread, Disney people need not apply!

"Demon Under Glass" turned out to be an interesting, thought provoking study of human nature and questions what make up "good" and "evil" into day's society--the 'good' doctors doing research for the good of all man kind using a captive, restrained vampire, or the 'bad' creature, killer and vampire? Who was less human, the magnificent creature of the night trying to survive or the single-minded medical people experimenting on him?

Some may feel the dark lighting is a sign of a poor film, but I found the shadowy scenes enhanced the delivery of the intensity and foreboding of the film. Garret Maggart as the one doctor with objects about the vampire's treatment was very convincing and made me sympathetic to his moral dilemma and I don't even like doctors, of any kind, real or make believe. Jason Carter was intense and dramatic as the captured vampire. Vampires ROCK! And this guy proves it. Pure predator and sexual presence.

Gota love this movie! Sexy Vampires, good-looking doctors, some interesting questions about life and , I can't Believe no one has mentioned this before, a half-naked, bloody, sexy KIRA REED, sex goddess! If you like vampires, you'll like 'Demon Under Glass.'

A new twist on the classic vampire tale

Author: anthrobrat from San Jose, California
22 July 2002

I saw the premier of this movie and was completely caught up in the story - a story which is a new twist on the classic vampire tale. The cast of characters, especially the main 4, are well cast and well played and complimented by some stellar supporting players.

Garett Maggart proves there is more in his repertoire than the lead character he played on The Sentinel, and Jason Carter as Simon Molinar 2000-year old vampire, is as far from Ranger Marcus Cole (Babylon 5) as it is possible to be. Denise Hurd is truly driven as the police officer (wish we could see more of her onscreen), and Jack Donner lets us fall with his Dr Bassett deeper into scientific double-think without realizing how quickly we're falling.

If you like this genre, I think you'll really like Demon Under Glass - and like me want to see it more than once.

Who's the real demon?

Author: KHayes666 from United States
31 May 2005

This movie was a lot different from other vampire movies and I think that's what makes it so good. I figured it was about capturing an evil vampire and they do tests on it until it escapes and attacks everyone. Its really about a vampire just trying to stay alive in an unfriendly environment and is tested on by a mad scientist.

The idea of a intelligent vampire is brilliant and the plot of how the doctor pleads with the scientist to leave the vampire alone really shows how the "demon" isn't always the creature of the night.

It seems the reason this movie got such a bad rap was because its not for the stupid people. You have to be smart and socially aware to enjoy a movie like this.

Very underrated movie...7 out of 10

A unique vampire movie

Author: Alayne Gelfand from Yucca Valley, California
22 July 2002

A well-written, well-acted UNIQUE vampire film is hard to find, but DUG is just that. The set up is disturbing and intriguing, the characters drawn with great detail and delineation, the plot utterly captivating and the results haunting. A great time!

Great low budget movie

Author: Juli3 from Texas, USA
1 May 2003

Demon Under Glass is proof that you don't need megabucks or fantastic special effects to produce a great cult classic. Just creativity, talent & ingenuity. Having two cute stars doesn't hurt, either ; ) I already liked vampire movies, & thought that I had seen just about every plot line and variation there was. But this film actually managed to come up with a new spin. I only hope there's part Demon Under Glass # 2. Kudos!!

Not a vampire fan, but I really enjoyed this film

Author: illyak2k from Austin, Texas, USA
21 October 2004

This film has a few flaws, especially the sound & raw video-vs-grainy film look, as well as some ho-hum acting on the part of some minor characters, but I found myself watching it =twice,= it was so thought-provoking. I don't care for vampires (drinking of blood sickens me), but there were surprisingly few of the usual clichés.

Actors I especially enjoyed were those who played Dr. McKay, the vampire himself, whose subtle voice & movements were especially poignant, the female cop, & the man whose daughter's death left him in such anguish.

Very little scenery chewing, here, & a slow pace that was filled with meaning, not flashy special effects, the better to allow the mind to expand, & question itself. I give it a 7. Better acting in the rest of the crew & better production values would make it a 9!

Perfect for a dark stormy night...

Author: yummyorangecake from Pacific Northwest
5 June 2003

I was pleasantly surprised by Demon Under Glass. From the very first scene to the last, I felt that the characters were engaging (and especially liked the vampire!) and the story line intriguing.

Things I enjoyed about Demon include: the easy navigation from the DVD's on-screen menu as well as the behind the scenes feature, the excellent editing, the talented actors, the fact that there were always fresh donuts for the doctors, and the list goes on!

Although the music may have overridden the dialogue in a couple of brief scenes, the editing was very well done and allowed you to follow the action easily. I feel that the editing made Demon very enjoyable to watch.

Overall, I feel this movie is worth purchasing and viewing.especially on that dark and stormy night when you want something a little creepy to watch.

Thumbs up to the cast and crew of Demon Under Glass!

A standout addition to the "B" thriller movie genre. Possible "cult classic" in the making.

Author: pamschat (pamschat@sonnet.com) from Tuolumne Co., CA
21 July 2002

Demon Under Glass is a standout addition to the "B" movie horror genre.With its touches of satirical humor, Thought-provoking plot and unique twists on an otherwise traditional theme it catches and holds your attention. The actors bring a depth to the characters that is all to rarely seen in this type of movie. The mood created through the writing and direction is straightforward and crisp (moves right along with no dragging), yet has an atmosphere that manages to be eerie and clinically hostile. A small "indie" film it manages to do what many a big budget effort has not - makes you think, and contemplate; what is evil and what capacity is there in every day people given certain circumstances. That's a lot of reach for a little thriller film guys.

"A living impossibility."

Author: Backlash007 from Kentucky
8 August 2004

~Spoiler~

Demon Under Glass is the kind of independent film I can really get behind. It presents one of the most interesting character studies I've seen in some time. This isn't your usual vampire flick. It's more about ideas than bloodletting. One main theme asks the question of who's the monster here: the vampire or the scientists subjecting him to countless tortures? A better theme is the moral fiber of the vampire. Is the creature killing for survival like even we ourselves do? And can you blame him? Can you blame the lion when it kills the gazelle as the film mentions? Or is he purely evil and kills for the pleasure of it? The film never really answers this question because the viewer must decide based on their own morals I suppose. The cast is solid all around and surprised me because I was expecting amateurs at best. The leads are played by Jason Carter (TV's Babylon 5) and Garett Maggart (TV's The Sentinel) while the excellent supporting cast includes Jack Donner, David Jean Thomas, and Harrison Young. My only complaint is that the quality of the movie looks bad. Still, I strongly recommend this movie if you're looking for something different. I'm looking forward to more from Jon Cunningham.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]