IMDb > "What's New, Scooby-Doo?" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"What's New, Scooby-Doo?"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"What's New, Scooby-Doo?" More at IMDbPro »

Back to its best!

Author: Dawnfrancis (dawnfrancisuk@yahoo.co.uk)
29 November 2003

This series is Scooby Doo back to it's very best. Having seen several episodes now, I am a big fan. The fact that it's under new production is better, to be honest. It's a Scrappy free zone and whilst the animation is suitably modern, the characters and plots are tried and tested.There are plenty of in jokes and any fan of the original series should support this show. Go, Scooby, go!

Pretty good compared to the original...

Author: (classic_horror@yahoo.com) from Minneapolis, MN
30 December 2003

I have read complaints regarding this latest addition to the TV Scooby shows. People can say what they want, but this cast does a real good job!

Casey Kasem as 'Shaggy' - There is no other 'Shaggy'. (Apologies to Scott Innes, Who has done an ok job as 'Shaggy' and a pretty good job as 'Scooby'). Frank Welker as 'Freddy' - Again, there is no other.(Although I do believe someone else could do a better 'Scooby'. Sorry Frank. Don Messick is definitely the only 'Scoobert'.) Mindy Cohn seems to do a pretty good 'Velma' and Grey DeLisle's version of Daphne, as heard in previous 'Scooby' movies, is perfectly acceptable.

For me Nicole Jaffe will always be 'Velma'. Heather North will always be 'Daphne'. Stefanianna Christopherson from the original 1969 series will always be the first 'Daphne', but Heather is the voice I'm most familiar with.

Despite all the dynamic changes, it's a really good show! Keep up the good work!

What's New Scooby-Doo? They're coming after you. We're gonna solve that mystery!

Author: kenny_c_hueholt
23 September 2002

What can I say? I have to agree with most everything that was said here. I really like this show, especially putting Scooby-Doo in a more modern setting with new technology (cell phones, a computer in the Mystery Machine, industrial size Scooby-Snacks, etc.) I also really like the music on the show. About the voices, it's good to see Frank Welker and Casey Kasem still voicing Fred and Shaggy. Frank's Scooby voice is good, but I wonder what ever happened to Scott Innes who did Scooby's voice in the direct-to-video movies. And there's Grey DeLisle who reprises her role as Daphne from "The Cyber Chase." As for Marcie Cole's Velma, it's not the best, but a little better then B.J. Ward's. Marcie sort of keeps the nasal tone in her voice. And the show itself still stays true to the original mystery solving formula and catching the bad guy at the end, who would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids. It's good to see that after 33 years the famous Great Dane hasn't lost it's touch. Catch this show weekday mornings on Kids WB. It's highly recommended for any Scooby-Doo fan.

Not so bad, but a step down from the old Hanna Barbara cartoon.

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
14 August 2009

What's New Scooby Doo isn't a bad show, I just prefer the Hanna Barbara cartoon. What I do like about this show is the music, the theme tune is very good, and the songs featured are not so bad either. The animation is very colourful and bright, but what it lacks is that Hanna Barbara touch I have come to know and love. What's New Scooby Doo? I believe is an improvement over Shaggy and Scooby Doo Get a Clue, which was a disgrace to the Scooby Doo name, and this has nothing to do with Casey Kasem being Shaggy(I have seen the movies where he's not Shaggy and most of them are surprisingly good).-it was poorly animated, thinly plotted and the voice cast was not at all good, in my opinion that is. The characters I had little problem with the characters, though I did wish Scooby had a bigger role to play, and no offence to Frank Welker but I do prefer Don Messick, who sadly died in 1997. The other characters are fine, Casey Kasem has still got it as Shaggy. Another problem I had, was that the villains were rather predictable, and the show, while funny at times, does lack the humour and charm that made the original show such a childhood delight. The plots are more of the same, and not always interesting, but it is an improvement over the Scooby and Scrappy show. All in all, not at all bad, but not great either. 6/10 Bethany Cox

A revamp of the old show

Author: Angelus2 from United Kingdom
21 September 2008

I grew up in the 90's watching the re-runs of the old episodes and then this series made its way; it has everything the old show has only set in a modern time. The gang return, Scooby, Shaggy, Velma, Daphne and Fred.

The plot is simple, when a spooky occurrence happens the Scooby Gnag arrive to solve the problem and find the culprit responsible.

The show is more colourful and much more funnier; its great for a new generation to be exposed to the coolest team of detectives; the voice actors are brilliant as always and the occasional references to the movies is great.

Overall a great show.

A real treat!

Author: AllisonLVenezio from Jersey shore, USA
7 May 2003

"What's New Scooby-Doo?" You brand-new TV show!!

The lame attempts to recapture the magic of the famous "scooby-Doo" franchise fell flat during the 1980s (remember "13 ghosts of Scooby-Doo" and "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo"?, among several other stinkers). Plus, the addition of Scrappy-Doo in 1979 didn't help matters either. After the last original series ended in 1991, the franchise dropped Scrappy, bought back Fred and Velma, and made a string of decent direct-to-video animated features. But the success of the 2002 live-action feature prompted this cartoon, and a renewal to the famous franchise many of us Gen-Xers have grown to love.

I was never really a fan of "Scooby-Doo" until last year. Sure, I watched the reruns of every weekend from about 1985 until 1991, but that was because my brother liked it, and we only had two TV's in our house (the other was in my parents room, and since they were sleeping, the other TV was the only one we could watch. I survived.) The problem was, in the mid-80s, "Scooby-Doo! Where are You?" was a rarity on the local syndication channels. We had to watch "Scooby and Scrappy-Doo," which was god-awful, and I wouldn't force anyone to watch it. I turned away the cartoons in 1991, after "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo" aggravated me. Last year, I saw the live-action movie out of curiosity, and then this cartoon premired on Cartoon Network in March 2003, and I couldn't resist. I was hooked.

It's actually a funny show, and capitalizes on what made the movie fun. It emphasizes bright color, and gives the show a modern-day approach. The beauty part is, they maintained much of the character personalities from the film, and added on to the original concepts: Fred isn't as much of a show-off credit-hogger as he was, Daphne is way more resourceful, and not nearly as "damsel-in-distress-esque", Velma speaks, is shown more, and has GREAT one-liners (I think this may have been because Linda Cardellini was so great in the movie, they most likely had to captialize on what she bought to the character), and Shaggy is great and sounds terrific, due in no small part to the return of the great Casey Kasem, who was sorely lacking in the cartoon movies. Frank Welker as Fred is what makes this cartoon. Welker and Kasem are the heart and soul of this series--it isn't a cartoon without either of them. Besides, Fred has a trademark voice--no one could copy it. Sadly, Don Messick (Scooby's original voice) is no longer with us, and Welker tries to capture that speech-impediment, and it does work. It's a shame that Messick's last original series run as Scooby was in the pitiful "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo" (I'm sorry, but I really don't like that cartoon. It's painfully obvious.)

I highly recommend this as a good introduction series for the youngsters, but I would most likely say to watch "Scooby-Doo! Where Are You?", which still is (and always will be) the best. This series is also fun for those who love the original series. It captures the magic of the original, and still holds the charm that made it special--jokes, mystery, and of course, the famous lines. Plus, Fred is sans ascot.

So, What's new, Scooby-Doo? You just got a good review from this 20-year old fan!

Not Bad

Author: (Jethro9834@aol.com) from Colorado
15 September 2002

I am watching this right now, I taped it off of the TV. Because it was too early to watch on a Saturday. well the voices are pretty good, Scooby,s never been the same since Don Messick passed away. Frank Welker is a voice god, but I give his Scooby a B-. And the girl who does Velma, sounds OK but it really sounds a lot like shes still doing "Nancy" from kids from room 402. but maybe this show will take off. lets hope. frankly I thought that they should have just made Scooby movies. they made enough TV shows and screwed Scooby over with scrappy but this looks like it will be better. I say good luck to these creators. Re- write This Show is not good looking back. I don't know why I wrote this good of a comment. I read a lot of the other peoples posts here, and I see we are mostly on the same page. Frank Welker CANNOT do Scooby Doo, he sounds like "Chicken Boo" from the old "Animaniacs" Cartoon. Basically this is the worst Scooby series I have ever seen.

A fun and entertaining remake of a beloved classic!

Author: kiddcarl-cornell from United States
20 February 2013

After Disney's 1 Saturday Morning and FOX Kids were canceled by their respective networks, I was searching for a new show to watch on Sat. Mornings. I soon heard that a new Scooby-Doo show was going into production for the now-defunct WB network. Zoinks! Remembering that I have been a SD fan since I was a toddler, I was excited and watched every episode when it initially aired, and watched the reruns. While many say that this is a bad remake, I disagree. What's New, Scooby-Doo? is INDEED a VERY entertaining show, and not a bad remake. The writing is LOL funny, the animation is stunning, and a HUGE improvement over the original show's animation, as well as the casting, Casey Kasem reprises his role as Shaggy, Frank Welker not only reprises his role as Fred, but now voices Scooby, too! As for the girls, well, Grey DeLisle (DUH-lyle) voices Daphne and Mindy Cohn (Natalie Green from the Facts of Life) voices Velma. I own all 3 seasons of the show on DVD so I can watch them anytime I want, and I still watch the reruns from time to time on Cartoon Network. If you and your family like Scooby-Doo, check out this show. You won't be sorry.

good wholesome fun but not very versatile

Author: policy134 from Denmark
12 February 2005

I have seen about 5 or 6 episodes of the old Scooby-Doo cartoons and I thought they were terrible. As many Hanna-Barbera cartoons of the 60's and 70's the animation was terribly static. Fred, Velma and Daphne had maybe 3 or 4 expressions on their faces which were then used over and over again while their lips moved. Shaggy and Scooby who were the more colourful characters had some movement but that was only because they had to get into comic situations that often involved running.

To compare, the new show is an improvement. The pace, which I think is very essential to a cartoon is sped up considerably. The voiceovers from the two original cast members Casey Kasem and Frank Welker are adequate although I sometimes feel that Kasem sounds like an old man which he of course is becoming - he was born in 1932. Welker as Fred is almost 10 years younger but like the old shows he isn't giving much to do except he now seems more like a bungling idiot. The voice of Velma by Mindy Cohn is terribly monotonous. She just seems like a geek who figures everything out before the others and then holds that information till the end. But then we have Daphne (Grey DeLisle). She has become a very strong woman who has street smarts although some of her mannerisms like the expression "jeepers" or "creepers" has been carried over. Finally, the Scoody-Doo voice has been downplayed to such an extent that we hardly notice him which I don't mind. Either it was a decision made by Welker because his voice sounds terribly forced or it was the producers. Who cares? I will say that the plots go in the same predictable ways as usual. You are only looking forward to hear some celibrity voice like Kathy Griffin or James Belushi. Otherwise it's a bore. To end it I think the show is neither terribly original or exciting but has it's moments especially because of the inside jokes like Fred splitting up with Shaggy instead of Daphne.

Should have been a Season Box Set

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
13 June 2004

I have the Scooby Doo Golden Collection and I think it's great to have loads of Scooby Doo episodes together in one collection. These new episodes are great but giving us 4 at a time is not a good idea and I really think Warner would have been better off investing their time (as we would invest our money) in a First Season Box Set.

What we are given for now are individual DVD releases with four episodes running 22 minutes each. A couple of them have below average stories but the other two are up to scratch. The animation and color pallet are very bright and modern as is the soundtrack which incorporates more original music than the old school shows (which tended to re-use temp scores and source music over and over) but manages to work in familiar themes.

For Scooby Doo purists there is no sacrilege here. Shaggy and Scooby/Fred are performed by Casey Kasem and Frank Welker so there's not too much of a divide between this and old school to distance older fans from the new show.

I do hope this show goes on and on.

For what it is, the DVDs present the show absolutely flawlessly in 1.33:1 full frame with pretty active Dolby 2.0 surround and some minimal fluff extras. Buy it cheap and hope for a Season Box Set.