IMDb > "What's New, Scooby-Doo?" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"What's New, Scooby-Doo?"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"What's New, Scooby-Doo?" More at IMDbPro »

Back to its best!

Author: Dawnfrancis (dawnfrancisuk@yahoo.co.uk)
29 November 2003

This series is Scooby Doo back to it's very best. Having seen several episodes now, I am a big fan. The fact that it's under new production is better, to be honest. It's a Scrappy free zone and whilst the animation is suitably modern, the characters and plots are tried and tested.There are plenty of in jokes and any fan of the original series should support this show. Go, Scooby, go!

Pretty good compared to the original...

Author: (classic_horror@yahoo.com) from Minneapolis, MN
30 December 2003

I have read complaints regarding this latest addition to the TV Scooby shows. People can say what they want, but this cast does a real good job!

Casey Kasem as 'Shaggy' - There is no other 'Shaggy'. (Apologies to Scott Innes, Who has done an ok job as 'Shaggy' and a pretty good job as 'Scooby'). Frank Welker as 'Freddy' - Again, there is no other.(Although I do believe someone else could do a better 'Scooby'. Sorry Frank. Don Messick is definitely the only 'Scoobert'.) Mindy Cohn seems to do a pretty good 'Velma' and Grey DeLisle's version of Daphne, as heard in previous 'Scooby' movies, is perfectly acceptable.

For me Nicole Jaffe will always be 'Velma'. Heather North will always be 'Daphne'. Stefanianna Christopherson from the original 1969 series will always be the first 'Daphne', but Heather is the voice I'm most familiar with.

Despite all the dynamic changes, it's a really good show! Keep up the good work!

What's New Scooby-Doo? They're coming after you. We're gonna solve that mystery!

Author: kenny_c_hueholt
23 September 2002

What can I say? I have to agree with most everything that was said here. I really like this show, especially putting Scooby-Doo in a more modern setting with new technology (cell phones, a computer in the Mystery Machine, industrial size Scooby-Snacks, etc.) I also really like the music on the show. About the voices, it's good to see Frank Welker and Casey Kasem still voicing Fred and Shaggy. Frank's Scooby voice is good, but I wonder what ever happened to Scott Innes who did Scooby's voice in the direct-to-video movies. And there's Grey DeLisle who reprises her role as Daphne from "The Cyber Chase." As for Marcie Cole's Velma, it's not the best, but a little better then B.J. Ward's. Marcie sort of keeps the nasal tone in her voice. And the show itself still stays true to the original mystery solving formula and catching the bad guy at the end, who would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids. It's good to see that after 33 years the famous Great Dane hasn't lost it's touch. Catch this show weekday mornings on Kids WB. It's highly recommended for any Scooby-Doo fan.

Not so bad, but a step down from the old Hanna Barbara cartoon.

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
14 August 2009

What's New Scooby Doo isn't a bad show, I just prefer the Hanna Barbara cartoon. What I do like about this show is the music, the theme tune is very good, and the songs featured are not so bad either. The animation is very colourful and bright, but what it lacks is that Hanna Barbara touch I have come to know and love. What's New Scooby Doo? I believe is an improvement over Shaggy and Scooby Doo Get a Clue, which was a disgrace to the Scooby Doo name, and this has nothing to do with Casey Kasem being Shaggy(I have seen the movies where he's not Shaggy and most of them are surprisingly good).-it was poorly animated, thinly plotted and the voice cast was not at all good, in my opinion that is. The characters I had little problem with the characters, though I did wish Scooby had a bigger role to play, and no offence to Frank Welker but I do prefer Don Messick, who sadly died in 1997. The other characters are fine, Casey Kasem has still got it as Shaggy. Another problem I had, was that the villains were rather predictable, and the show, while funny at times, does lack the humour and charm that made the original show such a childhood delight. The plots are more of the same, and not always interesting, but it is an improvement over the Scooby and Scrappy show. All in all, not at all bad, but not great either. 6/10 Bethany Cox

A revamp of the old show

Author: Angelus2 from United Kingdom
21 September 2008

I grew up in the 90's watching the re-runs of the old episodes and then this series made its way; it has everything the old show has only set in a modern time. The gang return, Scooby, Shaggy, Velma, Daphne and Fred.

The plot is simple, when a spooky occurrence happens the Scooby Gnag arrive to solve the problem and find the culprit responsible.

The show is more colourful and much more funnier; its great for a new generation to be exposed to the coolest team of detectives; the voice actors are brilliant as always and the occasional references to the movies is great.

Overall a great show.

A real treat!

Author: AllisonLVenezio from Jersey shore, USA
7 May 2003

"What's New Scooby-Doo?" You brand-new TV show!!

The lame attempts to recapture the magic of the famous "scooby-Doo" franchise fell flat during the 1980s (remember "13 ghosts of Scooby-Doo" and "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo"?, among several other stinkers). Plus, the addition of Scrappy-Doo in 1979 didn't help matters either. After the last original series ended in 1991, the franchise dropped Scrappy, bought back Fred and Velma, and made a string of decent direct-to-video animated features. But the success of the 2002 live-action feature prompted this cartoon, and a renewal to the famous franchise many of us Gen-Xers have grown to love.

I was never really a fan of "Scooby-Doo" until last year. Sure, I watched the reruns of every weekend from about 1985 until 1991, but that was because my brother liked it, and we only had two TV's in our house (the other was in my parents room, and since they were sleeping, the other TV was the only one we could watch. I survived.) The problem was, in the mid-80s, "Scooby-Doo! Where are You?" was a rarity on the local syndication channels. We had to watch "Scooby and Scrappy-Doo," which was god-awful, and I wouldn't force anyone to watch it. I turned away the cartoons in 1991, after "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo" aggravated me. Last year, I saw the live-action movie out of curiosity, and then this cartoon premired on Cartoon Network in March 2003, and I couldn't resist. I was hooked.

It's actually a funny show, and capitalizes on what made the movie fun. It emphasizes bright color, and gives the show a modern-day approach. The beauty part is, they maintained much of the character personalities from the film, and added on to the original concepts: Fred isn't as much of a show-off credit-hogger as he was, Daphne is way more resourceful, and not nearly as "damsel-in-distress-esque", Velma speaks, is shown more, and has GREAT one-liners (I think this may have been because Linda Cardellini was so great in the movie, they most likely had to captialize on what she bought to the character), and Shaggy is great and sounds terrific, due in no small part to the return of the great Casey Kasem, who was sorely lacking in the cartoon movies. Frank Welker as Fred is what makes this cartoon. Welker and Kasem are the heart and soul of this series--it isn't a cartoon without either of them. Besides, Fred has a trademark voice--no one could copy it. Sadly, Don Messick (Scooby's original voice) is no longer with us, and Welker tries to capture that speech-impediment, and it does work. It's a shame that Messick's last original series run as Scooby was in the pitiful "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo" (I'm sorry, but I really don't like that cartoon. It's painfully obvious.)

I highly recommend this as a good introduction series for the youngsters, but I would most likely say to watch "Scooby-Doo! Where Are You?", which still is (and always will be) the best. This series is also fun for those who love the original series. It captures the magic of the original, and still holds the charm that made it special--jokes, mystery, and of course, the famous lines. Plus, Fred is sans ascot.

So, What's new, Scooby-Doo? You just got a good review from this 20-year old fan!

Not Bad

Author: (Jethro9834@aol.com) from Colorado
15 September 2002

I am watching this right now, I taped it off of the TV. Because it was too early to watch on a Saturday. well the voices are pretty good, Scooby,s never been the same since Don Messick passed away. Frank Welker is a voice god, but I give his Scooby a B-. And the girl who does Velma, sounds OK but it really sounds a lot like shes still doing "Nancy" from kids from room 402. but maybe this show will take off. lets hope. frankly I thought that they should have just made Scooby movies. they made enough TV shows and screwed Scooby over with scrappy but this looks like it will be better. I say good luck to these creators. Re- write This Show is not good looking back. I don't know why I wrote this good of a comment. I read a lot of the other peoples posts here, and I see we are mostly on the same page. Frank Welker CANNOT do Scooby Doo, he sounds like "Chicken Boo" from the old "Animaniacs" Cartoon. Basically this is the worst Scooby series I have ever seen.

A fun and entertaining remake of a beloved classic!

Author: kiddcarl-cornell from United States
20 February 2013

After Disney's 1 Saturday Morning and FOX Kids were canceled by their respective networks, I was searching for a new show to watch on Sat. Mornings. I soon heard that a new Scooby-Doo show was going into production for the now-defunct WB network. Zoinks! Remembering that I have been a SD fan since I was a toddler, I was excited and watched every episode when it initially aired, and watched the reruns. While many say that this is a bad remake, I disagree. What's New, Scooby-Doo? is INDEED a VERY entertaining show, and not a bad remake. The writing is LOL funny, the animation is stunning, and a HUGE improvement over the original show's animation, as well as the casting, Casey Kasem reprises his role as Shaggy, Frank Welker not only reprises his role as Fred, but now voices Scooby, too! As for the girls, well, Grey DeLisle (DUH-lyle) voices Daphne and Mindy Cohn (Natalie Green from the Facts of Life) voices Velma. I own all 3 seasons of the show on DVD so I can watch them anytime I want, and I still watch the reruns from time to time on Cartoon Network. If you and your family like Scooby-Doo, check out this show. You won't be sorry.

One of the worst Scooby-Doo shows

Author: wile_E2005 from United States
10 August 2005

Updated as of 2012 I have never liked the Warner Bros. cartoons that are produced by Sander Schwartz (2002-2007), and most of them are crap. It makes me sad seeing such programming made by a company that once made such great cartoons starring Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Sylvester, Wile E. Coyote and the rest, changing and turning out mediocre un-funny product. THIS one, however, I feel is one of the WORST Scooby-Doo shows ever made! ("Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue" is also just as bad, if not worse). I grew up watching classic Scooby, and it had a lot of stuff that made it fun... lovable characters, good voice cast, memorable music, goofy sound effects, and more. But with this new series, it is very difficult for me to watch, especially knowing that it was made by the same studio that made the classic Looney Tunes. For one thing, the Hanna-Barbera sound effects are seldom used here, not even the Disney-esque "Castle Thunder" sound effect (it was only used a couple of times in the entire series, probably because the sound effect was presented with a very low-fidelity quality as if it were ripped off one of Edison's wax cylinders), instead they favored for more realistic, louder thunderclaps that could hurt your ears if the volume is too high, and the rest of the sound effects are the standard "house" WB sound FX in use at the time, making it sound less like a cartoon and more like real life. The music is mostly generic 2000s-cartoon synthesizer scores, and often sometimes overpowers the stories and images. The animation also gets rather poor at times, even for 2000s Termite Terrace standards! At least we have Casey Kasem and Frank Welker, two of the original voices. Also, I was not really a fan of Frank Welker's Scooby voice in this show. It sounds more like Brain from the "Inspector Gadget" cartoon (ironically, Frank Welker also did Brain's voice in "Inspector Gadget," as well as Dr. Claw!) The humans also don't act like how they originally did. They now act like how they were in "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo." Fred is not very smart and tends to do weird stuff, goof things up, and is practically IN LOVE with his Mystery Machine! Daphne is now a stereotypical teenage girl who panics if her clothes get dirty (at least she doesn't have a butler in this installment). She also now sounds like Vicky from "The Fairly Oddparents" (fact is, Grey DeLisle, the voice of Vicky, voices Daphne in this show, and sometimes voices Velma, too). Another main beef is that this show does not focus very much on Scooby-Doo himself! He may have four or five lines of dialogue in a 30-minute episode, and that is it. It almost seemed the producers wanted Fred, Daphne and Velma to be the stars of the show, because it focuses more on them 2/3rds of the time. The one exception was that weird "Camp Comeoniwannascareya" episode that only feature Shaggy and Scooby (while not great, it was rather interesting.) This cartoon is all just a cheap mockery of the Scooby-Doo franchise (sort of like "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo" but without the fun put into parodying the conventions) , while "Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue" was just another "Loonatics Unleashed." In fact, this show does not even have as much of a creepy atmosphere anymore, compared to the Scooby-Doo cartoons of the 1970s! That is another reason I don't like this show. This is the main reason why the name Sander Schwartz makes my blood boil, because of what he has done to the beloved Scooby characters! A few episodes, however, were actually decent and fun to watch, but the rest of them aren't very good. But I still do not like how Warner Bros. messed up Scooby-Doo at this time (including with the "Get a Clue!" series). For shame, WB. However, WB seems to have improved a bit with "Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated." A number of things "What's New" got wrong, this new show gets right! I recommend skipping over "What's New Scooby-Doo" and "Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue" and going straight over to the new "Mystery Inc." show instead.

What's New Scooby-Doo? Well,...

Author: Pimpin` Critic 69 from Your Critic of Critics
20 September 2002

...not much!

I know it's too soon to comment because only one episode has aired so far but I think I can predict where this show is going. Well, to begin with this show is WAY better then the ones that aired in the `80s but that's because the one from the `80s had Scrappy-Doo but that's the advantage of the show. It's Scrappy free! But the disadvantage is that William Hanna passed away and Joseph Barbera is to old to look over the show. That disadvantage could hurt the show a lot because this show is missing the Hanna-Barbera touch. Not to mention that it's missing the winning formula which made the original show Scobby-Doo, Where are You? such an incredibly great and funny show. And that formula is the great mysteries, characters, jokes, gags, and let's not forget the HIDDEN JOKES!!!!

So in conclusion this is a pretty good show actually and hopefully the writers, producers, and directors will find a winning formula and the show will get better and more creative as it goes on.