IMDb > WrestleMania X8 (2002) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

WrestleMania X8 (TV) More at IMDbPro »

WWE Wrestlemania X-8 2002

Author: wrestlingsitewebmaster from England
18 September 2005

This is a very difficult WM to write about, partly because it's in the between an excellent PPV and a crap PPV category. Some matches were ace, some weren't.

Results from Wrestlemania X-8 are as follows: - Rob Van Dam defeated William Regal to win the Intercontinental Championship in a solid opener.

- Diamond Dallas Page defeated Christian in a useless match.

- Spike Dudley defeated Goldust to win the Hardcore title (this match was Maven and Goldust, but Dudley ran down and pinned Goldust) - Edge pinned Booker T in a worthless match.

- 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin pinned Scott hall in a rotten match (this showed when Austin walked out of the Federation for real shortly afterwards)

- Kurt Angle defeated Kane in a good match.

- The Hurricane defeated Spike Dudley to win the Hardcore title (backstage)

- The Undertaker pinned Ric Flair in a fair match.

- Mighty Molly pinned The Hurricane to win the Hardcore title (backstage) - The Rock defeated Hollywood Hogan in a very good match. The fans in this match were simply mad! They cheered Hogan instead of The Rock.

- Christian pinned Mighty Molly to win the Hardcore title (backstage when Christian slammed a door in Molly's face)

- Billy and Chuck defeated The APA, The Hardy Boyz and The Dudley Boyz in a four corners match to retain the WWE tag team belts.

- Maven pinned Christian to win back the Hardcore title (in the car parking lot when Christian was day dreaming, Maven snuck up behind him and pinned him)

- Jazz defeated Lita and Trish Stratus to retain the WWE Women's Championship.

- The Rock pinned Hulk Hogan. The fans were really into this match. However fans booed Rock and cheered Hogan.

- Triple H defeated Chris Jericho to win the Undisputed Championship. However fans were not that interested in this match and when Tripper won no one cared.

Overall Grade - B

Good, but not great

Author: thehardyboyz2043 (thehardyboyz2043@aol.com) from Marysville, Washington
7 January 2005

Possible Spoilers....

Okay, X-8 wasn't was good as X-7, not by a long shot but it was still good, to a point that is. I'll run the matches by one-by-one.

1. Intercontinental Title; William Regal (Champion) vs. Rob Van Dam: This was an all right match, I've always liked Regal's counter wrestling and RVD's style is just well unique, thankfully RVD stopped Regal from using his trademark brass knucks, so the finish of the match was clean. 6/10.

2. European Title; Diamond Dallas Page (Champion) vs. Christian: It was nice to see DDP back on PPV, though it was a fairly short and therefore somewhat boring match. Diamond Cutter finish was nice though. 4/10.

3. Hardcore Title; Maven (Champion) vs. Goldust: There was no reason for this match. Maven was too green, hadn't really proved himself and there were a few missed spots. Thank god it was over quickly, though numerous title changes happened throughout the show, none of which were very interesting. 1/10.

4. Kane vs. Kurt Angle: Good match, plenty of good spots, wished Kane would have won though. Angle cheating at the end sorta tainted the match. 7/10.

5. Ric Flair vs. Undertaker: Best match of the night in my opinion. Both guys put on tremendous performances, and the finish was pretty cool. Actually thought Taker was going to lose when Arn Anderson spinebusted him, but a tombstone later and it's 10-0 for the Dead Man. 10/10.

6. Edge vs. Booker T: Decent match, but it wasn't really necessary to have this far up the card. 6/10.

7. Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Scott Hall: Good, but very short match. The finish was good as well, Austing stunning both Hall and Nash was nice. 6/10.

8. Four Team Elimination Match, Tag Team Titles; Billy & Chuck (Champions) vs. The Hardy Boyz vs. The APA vs. The Dudley Boyz: An all right match, Hardy's (my fav. team) got in some nice double team offense as did the Dudley's, but this one didn't seem to have a lot of energy throughout. 5/10.

9. The Rock vs. Hollywood Hulk Hogan: All the hype, all the excitement built towards this, surprisingly okay match. It was great to hear the crowd cheer Hogan and boo the crap out of The Rock, but the match was really just a fluff piece, okay for the first few minutes and okay again at the end, but besides the crowd's energy, it wasn't all they made it out to be. 6/10.

10. Triple-Threat Match, Women's Championship; Jazz (Champion) vs. Trish Stratus vs. Lita: Another decent match, with the right person winning, though I would've liked to have seen Lita (my fav. diva) win. 5/10.

11. Undisputed Championship; Chris Jericho (Champion) w/Stephanie McMahon vs. Triple H: One of the dullest matches on the card, and easily the dullest main event ever. Everyone dead and alive knew that Triple H was going to win and it was nice to see him Pedigree Stephanie, but boy did this match suck. 3/10.

It was overall a good show, but it wasn't there best and like another reviewer said began the decline in the WWF (now E) quality.

Look, I was there, and it was a lot better than on the TV..

Author: (mro9539367@hotmail.com) from London, England
10 August 2002

Those of you that stated the event was average, yes in context, for the companies showcase event, it was. The LAW(Toronto wrestling radio show, EXCELLENT!) slagged it off too, but to actually be there was awesome!

I defy anyone watching on TV to get into context the message JR and The King Jerry Lawler were trying to convey. The crowd hated The Rock that night, because the HULKSTER was back!

His first PPV match in 9odd years (forget the previous months cameo appearance), and the noise was deafening. Jr tried to cover the Rocky booes saying it was a bypartisan crowd, but JR had to tell him to realise that this was history right there. And it was. On a usual day I'm a Rock fan, but EVERYONE hated him night, and he won in spirit if not in actuality.

Those of you who didn't attend or watch live will never hear those boo's again as the WWF(now E) doctored the footage on the released video and DVD releases of WMX8 to tone down the boos and 'Rocky sucks' chants.

The rest of the PPV was average, but an average Wrestlemania still blows any other federations product right out of the water.

And now, in August 2002, theres been a heluva lot more crap fly out of the WWE creative machine since WMX8 so lets not slag this off too much, hey.

no class,no interest,no good

Author: silverzero from dungarvan, ireland
7 July 2002

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** what did i think of wrestlemania x-8. hmmmm let me see, i know, it was a joke. the show started with saliva playing "superstar". ok its a good song but,hello, shouldnt wrestlemanias begin with the national anthem. absolutely no class. the titantron was a metal mesh which vaguely formed an x-8.pathetic. the first match was a snorathon between rvd and william regal for the i.c. title. it went on for 10 long,grueling minutes. rvd won but it was still a bad match. ddp versus christian for the european title followed next, an unusually normal match for wrestlemania.BBBOOORRRRIINNGGGG.goldust faced maven for the hardcore title next. the title changed back and forth in the usual frenzy throughout the show. good but not amazing. the undertaker,ric flair match,although long turned out to be good. kurt angle beat kane in the next match. cant referees do their f***ing job properly. angle got away with it yet again. austin,hall womens title,tag title and the edge ,booker t match all followed, each as boring on as the next. the best match of the evening was the rock,hogan match. its a shame hogan didnt win but it was still good. j.r. claimed that the fans were impartial. he sure didnt here the rocky sucks chants.the main event was long,boring and predictable and was in no way worthy of being the main event. overall the match quality was too little too much.far too wide of the mark.

Hulkamania Reborn!

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
17 August 2002

(POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

WrestleMania X-8 was absolutely brilliant playing to an arena of 60,000 plus Canadian fans.

The crowd were wild for this card. They let the wrestlers know their feelings throughout the event which is what all good wrestling fans should do. There was a tremendous atmosphere as well and as usual, Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler did a fantastic job.

WrestleMania X-8 was not without it's flaws but they were very small flaws. The match between Steve Austin and Scott Hall was far to short which meant no momentum could be built. And the same could be said for DDP VS Christian.

My favourite matches were Hollywood Hogan VS The Rock, Chris Jericho VS Triple H and the Undertaker VS Ric Flair. I also enjoyed the shenanigans regarding the hardcore title although it was quite hard seeing the beautiful Molly Holly get knocked out by that fiend Christian.

The Undertaker and Ric Flair had a wild brawl. These two men had matches back in 1993 but back then The Undertaker had a different style. This match was awesome. I also found Jerry Lawler's announcing quite amusing during this match. Jerry is so biased and I love it. He began to chuckle when the Undertaker put a chokehold on Flair and throughout the event Ross and Lawler debated various things. It reminded me of the chemistry between the late Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby "The Brain" Heenan or Jesse Ventura and Vince McMahon.

The main event between Jericho and Triple H was awesome in my opinion. However, once again it was devastating to see a beautiful female like Stephanie McMahon Helmsley getting hurt.

There were other good matches too such as Kane VS Kurt Angle and Booker T VS Edge.

What can I say about the match between The Rock and Hollywood Hogan? This had been a dream match of mine for years so just seeing these two men in the ring was enough for me. And the crowd were brilliant. They reminded me of the crowd for the Hogan/Andre match from WrestleMania III. Before the Rock and Hogan had even locked up the fans were cheering loudly. They cheered throughout the match for both the Rock and Hogan. And Hogan and Rock had a decent match. It was also great to see the Rock and Hogan showing each other mutual respect at the end. Then, they both battered the NWO which consisted of Scott Hall and Kevin Nash. Again, the crowd cheered them.

After this event ended I thought perhaps it had been a mistake having Hogan leave the NWO so soon but as a fan of 1980's Hulkamania, I was pleased to see the return of the good Hulk Hogan.

All in all, a great night of action and probably the best WrestleMania since WrestleMania XIII in 1997.

Pretty Good

Author: the_kiss_army_45 from Canada
6 January 2006

This was a pretty entertaining WrestleMania. Heres a list of the match results and my comments.

1. Intercontinental Championship Match:

Rob Van Dam Def. William Regal to become the new Intercontinental Champion. This was a good match, then again, any match with RVD is good in my opinion. 8/10

2. Eurpean Championship:

Diamond Dallas Page Def. Christian, To Retain. not a bad match overall. Christian takes a funny fit after the match. 7/10

3. Hardcore Championship:

Spike Dudley, Hurricane, Mighty Molly, Maven and lastly Christian all scored pin falls to become Hardcore Champion during the night. Pretty good stuff. 7.5/10

4. Kurt Angle Def. Kane, good match. not much to say about it. 7.5/10

5. Undertaker Def. Ric Flair, Pretty boring match, but not horrible. 6.5/10

6. Edge Def. Booker T, in a pretty good match, but not the match of the night. 8/10

7. Stone Cold def. Scott Hall w/ Kevin Nash, pretty bad match. Austin is not capable of what he use to be. 6/10

8. Fatal Four Way Elimination Match for World Tag Team Championship Billy & Chuck def. The Hardy Boyz, the APA and the Dudleys. Good match, pretty entertaining stuff. 7.5/10

9. Icon vs. Icon Match The Rock def. Hollywood Hogan , slow match. but not bad. memorable though. I'll never forget it. 7/10

10. Triple Threat Women's Championship Match Jazz def. Lita and Trish to retain. Pretty good womens competition. 7/10

11. Undisputed Championship Main Event Triple H def. Chris Jericho w/ Stephanie McMahon, Good Match. With funny ending. 9/10

Overall a good wrestlemania. But not better than X-7.

There Have Been Better Ones

Author: BigSmoke64 from United Kingdom
1 June 2005

This one was very very average. There have been better but then again there have been worse. Here is a match by match breakdown. Match One: Rob Van Dam def. William Regal: I sorta wanted Regal to win this one being English and all but I wasn't disapponited by the match. 7/10 Match Two: DDP vs. Christian: And the point was? This was a crap match. With no story telling from anyone. NEXT! 2/10 Match Three: Spike Dudley def. Maven: This was one of about 10 hardcore matches. Let me put it bluntley this night a woman won the belt and about 6 people had there turn. Yet Maven still walked out of Wrestlemania X-8 champ. 4/10 Match Four: Kurt Angle def. Kane: Despite many matches between the two this one is overlooked. They both put on a vailent effort. 7/10 Match Five: Undertaker def. Ric Flair: 2 legends going at it, should've been good but it was average. I'm a big UT fan and I am angry he didn't put up a good fight here. This was Flairs first WM appearance in 10 years as well. 5/10 Match Six: Edge def. Booker T: See 2, ponitless Edge is capable of so much more. Good fighters but no story lines. 2/10 Match Seven: Stone Cold def. Scott Hall: I would have expected better. Between them these two have had many great matches but this does not rank with the top ones. 2.5/10 Match Eight: Billy & Chuck def. APA, The Hardy Boyz and The Dudley Boys: Billy and Chuck were a horrible Tag team. Every other tag team in this match are great but they didn't get another chance at Tag Team Glory. Oh well NEXT! 4/10 Match Nine: The Rock def. Hollywood Hogan: This was the most anticpated match in WM history. I liked it and Hogan is back after 9 years! But now he's gone AGAIN. 8/10 Match Ten: Jazz def. Lita and Trish: Now the Womens division has lost a lot of credabilty laterly because the only good wrestlers are Trish, Lita and maybe Victoria, Stacy and Torrie. Why did the WWE release Jazz or put her in mid-card just so someone like Christie can get her job. Good match though. 7/10 Match Eleven: Triple H def. Chris Jericho: Bad, bad title match. HHH's efforts at WM are fallling I think. Compare his match at WM 12 to his match at WM18 and the one at WM19. But WM20 and WM21 were good efforts, however this one one of his bad ones. 3/10 Overall a very average Mania it was like a Survivor Series. Avoid it if you can because there are better ones like WM17 but there have been worse.

Nothing spectacular, but decent

Author: Broncos_22044 from Denver, Colorado
20 February 2003

Rock/Hogan, Rock/Hogan, Rock/Hogan??

Im sorry but this match was not the match that everyone makes it out to be. However, the rest of the card was decent with the sole exception being the upper card placement of the Womens Title Match. Triple H and Jericho never disappoint and this match was a good match. But Rock/Hogan was nothing to get excited about. The WWE has put on better (X-7) but this was a decent effort.

its not bad

Author: steph_hhh83 from usa
10 January 2003

It wasn't that bad, nice to see old people back in the WWE-then WWF. Even though Kevin Nash keeps getting injured. Scott Hall is gone already in May 2002. Hulk is out right now. Over all the Rock-Hogan match was good. I would give the ppv 8/10

Hmmmmm its ok

Author: jimmycool20012000 (jimmycool20012000@hotmail.com) from Dalbeattie scotland
28 May 2002

It's ok but as another guy's review said it is just to average for a wrestlemania. The only violent match was undertaker v flair which was good but wmania needs something more. I was sad not to see the wwf use athletes like Christain, Edge and Angle in more innovative matches, all these guys have proved that they can entertain in high risk matchs and it was a shame not to see them show case their talent. I was only excited by two matches on the card; Undertake v Flair and Hogan v The Rock. I was hyped by the flair/taker match only at the end when arn anderson got involved and i thought for a moment that taker might of lost, so hats off to the wwf that match was good. Hogan v The Rock, for me, was amazing, i love hogan and i was really wanting him to win. I think it was the right move to make The Rock won because he is a better athlete, but Hogan had a great performance and really he made this wmania worth watching. The wwf really needs to do better than this in future, the main event was just plain bad.