IMDb > Just Married (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Just Married More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Eternal

Author: Raul Faust from Joinville, Brazil
23 January 2013

Well, I remember when this movie came out; I was a pre teenager and certainly couldn't understand many aspects of this. Ashton Kutcher and Brittany Murphy play a young couple in honeymoon-- and in trouble. Whilst most people imagine honeymoon to be a perfect moment in life, this couple shows that things can go wrong in any situation. What amazes me the most is that even with all the problems they were facing, "Tom" and "Sarah" still look very in love with each other-- mainly due to the great performances delivered by the excellent main stars and the well written plot. This is one of the few romantic comedy style that truly WORKS, entertaining and thrilling the audience. Last scenes, albeit a little cliché, finish this film with a hopeful message about love and relationships. It is just a shame that Hollywood doesn't produce such good romantic comedies anymore-- if you don't believe me, watch 2012's "The Lucky One" and you will know what I'm talking about.

Author: jDriftyx82 from United States
22 April 2011

Just Married is yet another movie that doesn't redefine average. Because, to redefine average, a movie would have to be .. well, more average than average. Once again, we see a married couple, that shouldn't be married at all. Just Married may have made over $100,000,000 in it's time in 2003. But now it's just a forgotten about, dull romantic-comedy starring Ashton Kutcher. I saw this movie, I remember, on VHS back in it's time of release in 2003. I thought it was funny, but would turn it off when the serious parts would come. Now I see, it's one of those movies, funnier when younger.

I give this a 5/10 because it held my attention. But, it is nothing more than an average romantic comedy.

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
5 April 2011

I will admit I didn't pay the fullest attention to this film when it was on, but to be honest it didn't matter at all, because I knew the critics rating was right, from director Shawn Levy (Cheaper by the Dozen, Night at the Museum, Date Night). Basically Tom Leezak (Ashton Kutcher) and Sarah McNerney (Brittany Murphy) were married very quickly, against the wishes her friends and family, and through flashback we see how it ended as quick as it started. Tom is a late night radio traffic reporter, and Sarah is a free-spirited snobbish writer, and after meeting each other when he accidentally hits her with a football, they get to know each many times after. Soon enough they end up sleeping together and seemingly true love has happened, and this means they want to get married very quickly. Tom's attempts to make himself liked by Sarah's family don't go very well, but she is ignoring all the advice of her father Mr. McNerney (David Rasche) and her siblings and relatives including Lauren (Monét Mazur), Willie (Thad Luckinbill), Paul (David Agranov) and Dickie (Taran Killam), only her mother 'Pussy' (Veronica Cartwright) seems happy about it. So they are married and seem very happy to be going on their honeymoon in Italy, but mishap after disastrous mishap is causing their relationship a lot of friction. Eventually the biggest argument comes when tempers cause them to confess their secrets to each other, Tom reveals that it was him that caused the (accidental) death of her beloved pet dog, and Sarah reveals that his suspicions of her sleeping with Peter Prentiss (Christian Kane) were true. So the couple break apart officially with high hatred for each other on the plane journey home, but of course they both still have strong feelings for each other, and in the end Tom and Sarah make up and go on to have a happy marriage. Also starring David Moscow as Kyle and Raymond J. Barry as Mr. Leezak. Kutcher may have the moment similar to Dude, Where's My Car? shouting out the car window or whatever, and Murphy is pretty and does better than him at acting, but the long series of chaotic stuff gets boring and irritating, as do the bickering pair, and it just isn't all that funny, a charmless romantic comedy. Adequate!

Not always boring, but not enough laughs to really cut it

Author: Electrified_Voltage from Guelph, Ontario, Canada
16 March 2011

This romantic comedy came out eight years ago, but I didn't discover it until a VERY short while ago. I recognized the two stars, Ashton Kutcher and the late Brittany Murphy, but hadn't seen either of them in many other films. This was Murphy's first film after "8 Mile", starring controversial rapper Eminem. I finally saw that movie for the first time last year and thought it was pretty good. I had seen Kutcher in "Dude, Where's My Car?" twice, but most of that juvenile sci-fi comedy has never amused me. Before I saw "Just Married", I knew it wasn't really a well liked comedy, so my expectations were low. I knew that even if it wasn't that good, I still could possibly get some laughs out of it, which I did, but very unsurprisingly, I didn't get too many.

Tom Leezak is a young average Joe who meets a rich young woman named Sarah McNerney one day at the beach when he accidentally hits her on the head with his football. The two of them start talking, and quickly fall in love. It isn't very long before they get married, even though Sarah's family doesn't really approve. The newlyweds fly to Europe for their honeymoon, and they start out very happy and may look inseparable at first, but some say they are too young to be married, and maybe they're right. What's more, the two of them are both keeping secrets from each other, secrets which could put the marriage in jeopardy if they told each other. As Tom and Sarah travel around the continent and check into different hotels, they experience a number of mishaps which cause conflict. It doesn't help when they meet up with Peter Prentiss, Sarah's ex-boyfriend, who is far more respected by her family than Tom is.

This widely criticized romantic comedy opens by showing Tom and Sarah walking through the airport and doing what they can to cause each other grief. This sequence is filled with sight gags which are mostly unfunny. In the scenes leading up to the honeymoon, there are some laughs, such as what Sarah says as she cries on the night after the wedding, but still, there aren't too many. The part that made me laugh the hardest in the film might be the conflict between Tom and the hotel manager after Tom shorts out the hotel's power and causes a fire, but even this wasn't a huge laugh for me. There were also parts where I couldn't help but grin, plus they chose some nice European filming locations for the honeymoon, the plot certainly isn't the dullest I've even seen, and Brittany Murphy and Ashton Kutcher put on decent comedic performances and have good chemistry. Still, overall, this wasn't enough. When the gags aren't funny, they usually aren't too memorably lame, either, but there are some exceptions, such as the hash in the rectum, though even this one isn't horrible. After all that happens in the story, the predictable and clichéd ending is also a disappointment.

It seems a lot of people like this movie, and many hate it, but I'm somewhere in between. It has too much merit for me to rate it below five, with its occasional funny moments, impressive performances from the co-stars who play interesting characters, good filming locations, and not an entirely boring plot, but I don't think all this is enough for me to rate "Just Married" higher than five, either. If the ending were a bit more creative, I just MIGHT be able to give the film a six out of ten, but as it is, I don't think I should even do that. Well, at least I can say that it certainly didn't exactly leave me in a bad mood, which I think certain comedies can do if they're bad enough. Overall, this is pretty much an average romantic comedy, nothing really special or surprising. So, maybe you could find this movie funny if you have the right sense of humour and are a fan of the two co-stars, but I definitely won't call it a must-see.

It Had it's Time, Now it's Just Forgotten

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
4 July 2010

There's not a load to say here, it's just a rather typical Comedy, that seems to have squeezed to many wanna be R-rated elements. They have to keep pushing back, and delaying the sex scene (which there isn't one) between Kutcher and Murphy. They seemed to have gotten carried away saying "Look we got this movie with two young actors, we could make them have....oh yeah....it's PG-13." Ashton Kutcher is Tom, a typical adult acting like an adolescent. Brittany Murphy is Sarah, a spoiled girl who is the youngest sibling in her family (often dubbed "Pee-Wee".) Opposites attract when they get engaged and their honeymoon goes awry in every possible way. Their car lands in a snowbank, they get kicked out of a five star hotel, and Sarah's friend Peter Prentiss shows up who wants to exact revenge on Tom.

I bet everyone was expecting this to be a four star review seeing as we lost Brittany a few days ago. I was upset about her death, but just because of that I will not review this movie falsely based on depressing cases. Brittany is not a bad actress, I respect her for keeping herself out of the limelight, but if she makes a bad movie, Ill review it like that. I've heard numerous times her best film was the sleeper-hit Clueless from 1995. I am happy to say a review of that will becoming in the next few weeks.

I'm glad to see her so lively in a movie, but truthfully, this movie I felt wasn't all about her. I seriously felt that Kutcher did a pretty well done performance and that Murphy tried to steal it in a way. Though Murphy had to be there, no one could have beaten her for the role as Sarah. Worth the $4.86 spent, but I think there was nothing wrong with the tape I had. Probably should have dug it up for free.

Starring: Ashton Kutcher and Brittany Murphy. Directed by: Shawn Levy.

And Kutcher Chases Kane with a Poker in His Underwear

Author: wes-connors from Los Angeles
6 March 2010

In a story told in flashback, poor jock Ashton Kutcher (as Tom Leezak) and rich blonde Brittany Murphy (as Sarah McNerney) meet on the beach and live together for several months. Then, they get married and stop having sex. Both want to, but something always happens… like she falls asleep, or he gets his foot caught in the toilet. On their European honeymoon, their vibrator won't plug in correctly. To make matters worse, Ms. Murphy's former lover, handsome Christian Kane (as Peter Prentiss), arrives to try and break up the stupidity. A highlight is when Kutcher chases Mr. Kane with a fire poker in his boxers.

*** Just Married (1/10/03) Shawn Levy ~ Ashton Kutcher, Brittany Murphy, Christian Kane, David Moscow

Theoretically This Is A Terrible Film. However...

Author: stubbers from Essex
25 February 2010

...due largely to Brittany Murphy it is highly entertaining. I can't say I disagree factually with the scores of dire reviews this movie has received. Yes it is banal, clichéd, unoriginal, predictable and soppy. But the amount of gusto Brittany Murphy put into her performance (probably knowing in her heart that the script was pretty ropey) made this film fun to watch.

Meet The Parents and Meet The Fockers each have twice as many quality jokes in the same running time as Just Married, while covering a lot of similar themes (the litany of accidents and catastrophes that happen to the happy couple, the below-par guy who has to impress the snooty parents of the bride, the clingy ex who gets on great with her dad etc). But whereas the Meet... films show gradually changing interpersonal dynamics as trust is slowly earned, or respect gradually lost (eg how Mr Focker starts off full of love and excitement but gradually gets more and more freaked out and annoyed by "El Stiffo"!), in Just Married one minute the groom's dad is threatening him down the phone, the next he is congratulating him and wishing him well! Similar about-turns and random changes of heart abound in this film resulting in a lack of continuity. Our young lovers jerk violently back and forth between arguing acrimoniously and cooing over each other romantically. It's almost like a series of disjointed sketches with no real flow between them.

But maybe a film can survive on a threadbare, inconsistent plot, if the individual sketches are good and the characterisations appealing. I think that's the case here - as Brittany and Ashton were a real-life couple, the chemistry between them is more authentic than any scripted contrivances, and I think that shines through and makes the film feel good.

So what we have here is a technically mediocre at best movie, but still an entertaining one, if you're dragged along to see it by your better half. Scarface it is not though! And finally, after seeing this film I felt genuinely upset and tearful thinking about the tragic loss of Brittany Murphy. No matter what people think of Just Married, it's a great way to remember her as a funny, lively, very attractive young actress who virtually saved this movie. God only knows what this would have been like without her.

Just Married- Love Has Plenty to Do With It ***

Author: edwagreen from United States
28 January 2010

This romantic comedy has marvelous chemistry between Ashton Kutcher and Brittany Murphy. This supposedly ideal couple wed before they really get to know each other. A disastrous honeymoon follows and the two return from Europe as embittered people ready to divorce.

The film is a good one as it highlights the lack of maturity that couples face when they marry. Of course, in the film, this is sensationalized by the comic going on during that awful honeymoon.

It also shows that there will be problems when one of the newlyweds comes from wealthy parents with a father who is suspicious of the Kutcher character as he lacks finesse and of course may not be good enough for his precious daughter.

The flaw in the film may be the exaggerated outrage of a honeymoon. Of course, it's comedy so you have to expect nearly anything.

Of course in the end, love conquers all.

A Honeymoon To Tell The Grandkids About

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
1 January 2010

Just Married is a pleasant and amusing comedy which relies mainly on Brittany Murphy's looks and Ashton Kutcher's goofy persona to make it work. The premise is a decent one, but it's kind of thin and all done before.

Kutcher's a blue collar guy who works at a radio station and gives traffic reports during the graveyard shift. His favorite things in life are hamburgers and the Los Angeles Dodgers, though he sounds like he would have been at home in Ebbets Field back in the day. He keeps meeting Murphy first at an airport and then they have a series of coincidental meetings that might have dampened anyone's enthusiasm. But the old chemistry gets to working and they're in love.

She's also rich and one of the things that father David Rasche owns is a piece of the Dodgers. But he's not crazy about his new prospective son-in-law and neither is her brother Thad Luckenbilll. They had in mind Christian Kane, a yuppie from the proper background who didn't move fast enough to close the deal with Murphy. Never mind that, he's not defeated yet.

Kutcher and Murphy are wedded and then go on the honeymoon from hell starting at the Alps and ending in Venice. The two of them, especially with their different backgrounds take a lot of getting used to each other and forgiving past situations.

For me it was hard to believe that the 20 something beautiful Brittany Murphy is so recently among the departed. She and Kutcher were an item during the making of Just Married so their scenes take on a special poignancy now.

As for Ashton, he could be the son of Michael Kelso his good looking, but clueless character from That Seventies Show. He's goofy and funny in his way, but he shouldn't be one to carry an entire film.

More slapstick would have worked

Author: duce122 from United States
23 July 2004

Just Married (2003) C-95 min. D: Shawn Levy. Ashton Kutcher, Brittany Murphy, Christian Kane, David Moscow, Monet Mazur, David Rasche, Raymond J. Barry, George Gaynes, Toshi Toda, Taran Killam. A film definitely inspired by the VACATION films, Kutcher and Murphy are the perfect young couple who go away to Europe for a honeymoon from hell. Levy seems to have a slight grasp on what makes a screwball comedy work and the stars are definitely likable, but more slapstick would have worked instead of that contrived subplot involving the bride's ex-boyfriend who follows them to Europe and tries to win her back. The dog gag was stolen right from THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY, but the mother's nickname is definitely worth a chuckle or two. RATING: 6 out of 10.