Just Married (2003) Poster

(2003)

206 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
This movie is......
RainInRivendell22 June 2006
a teen movie. I enjoyed it because well I'm a teen. The comedy could have been better, but there were some funny moments, like when Tom was attacked by the pigeons, and when Tom and Peter were fighting. It was pretty predictable, but I am a fan of corny romantic comedies, and if you are, you will want to see this movie. it is a heartwarming film that any Ashton or Brittany fan will want to see. It does not reflect the best work of anyone but it is enjoyable none the less. Final review: A cheesy, not that great movie, with an enjoyable plot and a nice cast.

Rent it but don't rush out and buy it
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
funny
xtimetowastexx19 August 2006
OK, the story wasn't brilliant, and the ending was predictable. There wasn't anything really amazing about this movie. But, I loved it. A lot. It made me laugh, a lot and thats all I really care about. Brittany Murphy and Ashton Kutcher were great together, they made a really good pair. I'm not a huge Ashton fan, but I do think he is funny, and this was probably the best movie I've seen out of the ones I've seen him in. Same with Brittany Murphy, although I really haven't seen much of her stuff. Like I said, the story is simple and predictable, but if you don't care about that kind of stuff then I'd recommend for a few laughs, nothing more, nothing less. =]
30 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Does What It Says on the Tin
tohu30 October 2007
Newlyweds Brittany Murphy and Ashton Kutcher embark on the honeymoon from hell. Ermmm. That's it.

This movie very much does what it says on the tin. It doesn't claim to be an intellectual journey. It's just a bit of screen candyfloss. But for all that, I'd rate it as one of the better examples of its type.

Why? Because there are enough laughs to keep it going - especially in the first half of the film. And the two leads are likable enough. It has to be said that both look terrific, and Kutcher in particular has developed a very nice style in physical comedy.

The problem with all these kind of movies, for me, is that they tend to drag a bit as they reach the 1hour mark, and then you're sort of waiting for it to end. This is certainly the case here. But if you like to see goodlooking people in reasonably funny romantic situations, you can do a lot worse than this one.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Recycled and not very funny, but entertaining enough if you're in the right mood
MovieAddict201622 August 2005
I had low hopes for this film. It's directed by Shawn Levy, one of the worst directors of all time. It stars Ashton Kutcher and Brittany Murphy, both of whom can't really act and are only in films now because of their social/celebrity status.

Nevertheless I was surprised because despite some really hideous reviews and bad promos, the movie isn't awful. As a means of silly entertainment, it's sweet, good-natured and occasionally funny, even if all the gags are recycled from other flicks. I counted quite a few. The first fifteen minutes alone have: - Last regrets before the wedding (e.g. bride feels bad about keeping secrets from future husband, etc.) - Groom picks up bride to be romantic, ends up slapping her head against the door frame (also see...any other movie about newly married couples) - They try to have sex on an airplane, get limb(s) stuck in the toilet (also see "Vegas Vacation," which was a scene recycled from other films to begin with) - Mean airline stewardesses (also see "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" and "Meet the Parents" and "Midnight Run" and...) - Mix-up at the rental agency in terms of car/transportation, they end up with a lesser car (ripped right off of the aforementioned "P,T&A") - Get stuck in snow ("PT&A" again!) And so on and so forth...

Some of the gags are too crude and shouldn't be included - the pathetic joke about the vibrator as a honeymoon present is unnecessary. Sticking it into the wrong electrical current outlet is a good payoff, but I was expecting it to be handled funnier. It's a bit anti-climactic.

Overall this is an "embarrassing situation" comedy where lots and lots of bad stuff happens to people minding their own business. It's kind of like "Meet the Parents" - events continually spiralling out of control, bad luck for good people - but not as funny or well-developed. The characters are likable which helps out a lot. The direction isn't as bad as I expected.

But the script could have used polishing and the whole premise has been dealt with before. As a means of simple 90-minute entertainment, you could do a lot, lot worse (trust me!). But I'm just hoping they don't make another one. (I can see it now: "Just Parents," "Just Grandparents," "Just Divorced" and then "Just Deceased.")
20 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Somewhere in my bottom 10
TheOtherFool1 May 2004
You remember those Jerry Springer episodes where a husband cheats on his wife with her sister, calls her a whore and is actually a woman himself (well, you get my drift). The response the wife gives to everybody: Well, he's coming home with me! When Jerry asks her why she would want to do that, she just looks down and says: Well, I just love him Jerry...

WHY she actually loves her husband is unclear, just as it's unclear why newlyweds poor guy Tom (Ashton Kutcher) and rich girl Sarah (Brittany Murphy) team up. They don't know anything about each other, but get married anyway. OK, it's a mistake others have made, but things only get worse when they are fighting, screaming at each other, basicly hate each other, but in the end, as Sarah says to her father: Well, I just love him Jer... erm... dad.

The story is focussing on the honeymoon of Tom and Sarah. They decided to go to Europe, first stop: France. At this time around Kutcher's character is the most annoying one I have ever witnessed on screen. He's literally a European's nightmare of an American. He hates it that no-one speaks English (well, American anyway), hates the French customs, yells at the hotel manager while he just basicly destroyed the place, he's screaming at his wife for no reason... what fun is there to be married to this illiterate guy?

Things only get worse once they go to Venice, with Sarah meeting an old boyfriend of hers and Tom almost sleeping with a girl he picked up at a bar (he goes to all the time because they show American baseballmatches... screw those old churches!).

So, what happens really, is two people who are not fit for each other end up getting married, which is a huge mistake. Ok, let's go for it then. Make it some sort of War Of The Roses, or whatever. But no, there's always a feeling left in the movie that they will end up happily ever after, until that very last scene. I Just Love Him Daddy! YUCK!!!

Film not only lacking a good story, a good ending, good actors, good directing, but also some laughs (why would you call this one a comedy?) as it sure is one of the worst movies I have ever witnessed. Down there with Freddie Got Fingered, Spice World, Glitter, Showgirls and other crap. Shame on you!

1/10.
27 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just OK
mjw230517 January 2007
Tom (Ashton Kutcher) a traffic reporter with a white collar up bringing and Sarah (Brittany Murphy) a writer whose family is wealthy and snobbish, fall in love and marry; much to the despair of her parents and her ex-boyfriend. After their wedding they set off on what should be their honeymoon, but it's more the trip from hell.

Kutcher and Murphy do have a strong screen chemistry, and this movie does have a decent script with some funny moments, it just doesn't do anything new, which leaves it feeling just a little too familiar, to be considered a really good film.

It's well made, funny and entertaining; it's just not special.

10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Average comedy with a few laughs
christian12317 May 2005
Just Married is an average comedy and something you would expect from Ashton Kutcher. Tom Leezak and Sarah McNerney are newlyweds and are about to go off of their honeymoon. The trip turns out to be terrible as all these accidents start happening to them. Will they able to overcome these obstacles and stay married? The plot is pretty generic as there's really nothing new about it. Films like Just Married can sometimes be really funny while other times, they can be bad. Just Married falls somewhere in between. While there are some funny moments, there are also a lot of yawns. Ashton Kutcher stars as Tom and he does a good job. He usually plays the same character but does it well. Brittany Murphy plays Sarah and does a good job. She is a really good actress and one day will be a huge star. The material she is given in this film, just isn't very good. Christian Kane plays the ex-boyfriend of Sarah and he is trying to get her back. He is an okay actor, nothing special though. Shawn Levy directs and does an average job. Just Married is the type of comedy you would expect out of January, which is average and forgettable. The film is only 95 minutes long, which means it isn't too much of a pain to watch. The movie does drag sometimes though and so it feels like its longer then it really is. There are no memorable scenes or lines as you have already probably heard it and seen it before. There's really no reason to go and see Just Married. The stars didn't benefit from it nor were they affected from it in a bad way. In a few years most people will forget they have seen it. So there's no harm in watching but there are better comedies out there. Rating 5.3/10, a so-so comedy that's really not worth watching.
26 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Predictable and awful
aberlour3625 June 2004
Stuck in a hotel room and exhausted, I turned on HBO and saw this film. Aside from the high energy levels of the main stars, this movie is without redeeming features. The script is insipid and predictable, and the production is only adequate.

A coupe of shack-ups get married, decide that they have strong differences, and fight throughout their honeymoon. They make up at the end. And in real life would live a hellish existence.

Truly not worth anyone's time. The movie isn't funny, sexy, or even interesting.

But my hat is off to the young actors for doing their best with very little to work with.
14 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
For an Ashton Kutcher film, I got a more than a few laughs
Kristine27 September 2004
I know this film is getting a bad rep, but I enjoyed it. I really laughed a lot at the film. Yes, the script is a bit amateurish. And the story gets a little stupid here and there. But it seems to me that a lot of the people who hated this movie didn't put their guards down. I have the same problem to sometimes. I don't like Ashton or Britney. I think that they are amateur actors. They have a hard time acting. And that's why it came so natural in the film. That's how they really are. I'm glad I just decided to sit down and watch the movie. Let go and watch it. It has it's very funny moments. As for the 5.0, I can let go. Some films, it just takes time I guess.

18 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
cute. that's all
T Y28 December 2007
The much reviled 'romanntic comedy' genre always takes the form of a) meet cute b) fall "in love," c) get into a fight, and d) reunite at the last minute after a music montage. For these reasons it receives heaps of scorn. But there's a range of romantic comedies, and really any frame of this is preferable to something like "Just Friends." The travel footage is very nice. But as always with the genre it defaults to unimaginative clichés as when in France they make room for lots of french-bashing. Really... the French are kind until they meet a jackass like Kutcher's character. And the cause of it all (Kutcher likes sports) is introduced to his wife about twelve seconds before the plot point needs to be utilized.

In the end, Kutcher is declaring his undying love for whatsherface for no clearer reason than he's young and the young are prone to cavalier promises about forever because they sampled so little of it. Which means they're not any further than where they started. But what did you expect from a romantic comedy?

If I remember correctly, the movies "Caffe America" exterior is actually the only gay bar in Venice.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this