IMDb > Just Married (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Just Married

Just Married More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Nice camera-work at the end of the movie

Author: Rick Brown from United States
18 November 2005

Hmm, a decent romantic comedy. Formulaic, cute, light-hearted. The sweethearts come from different sides of the track, and there's the complication of a parent-approved rich boy who throws a wrench into the works. Fine, a comedy that hinges on how things can go wrong despite the best of intentions.

The ending, predictable as it is, has magical camera-work. As the protagonist runs to his woman, the sense of all-out speed is phenomenal. The way the foreground objects zip by as the camera tries to keep up with Ashton on a semi-parallel track -- man, looks like he is hauling it. They probably sped up the film a tad in the editing room, from the looks of it. Such a tremendous moment in that movie, and it lasted all of about 3 seconds. Great music, great tracking by the camera, my heart leapt.

I wouldn't normally recommend a movie for a singular moment in one scene of a movie, but for aficionados of skilled camera-work, I certainly do. You can glean how to make something look very fast on film ....

Seems loosely based on "The Out of Towners"

Author: elevator_opratr from Pennsylvania, USA
10 June 2004

To me, this movie seemed loosely based on "The Out of Towners." It's about a vacation (in this case, a honeymoon) gone wrong. Add that to several factions in the girl's family that are wishing for just that. They don't like the guy. They even go so far as to send her ex-lover to the honeymoon spot to help break up the marriage. This movie is sweet and harmless, but very juvenile. If you're up for a couple hours of nonsense, watch it. If you're in for a deeper romantic comedy, this is not for you. Surprisingly, I had fun with it, while my wife hated it. Talk about a role reversal! I had never even heard of this movie until seeing it on cable. It must have done poorly in the box office. I give it a conservative 6 out of 10 stars.

Cute Chick Film

Author: Mandy (ggdollzfanatic) from Oregon, USA
1 November 2003

Just Married is the kind of cute film that you would watch during a sleepover with the girls, or when you find yourself crushing on Ashton or Brittany. I think that this movie has SOME realistic qualities to it, but overall, I think it is basically just a really fun movie. Don't judge this movie for what it isn't...judge it for what it is. I would recommend this movie to all of the females in my life. I think it would be funny to recommend to an engaged couple, just to show them an extreme interpretation of what a honeymoon could be like.

BORING AS HELL

Author: blackie-5
22 September 2003

This is truly one of the most boring movies I've seen in years, as well as one of the most unfunny. I did not laugh once watching this. I could not detect where the jokes were supposed to be. Did it look like a comedy on paper or something? Awful.

In a word...BORING

Author: AnimagusGirl from USA
30 August 2003

Ashton Kutcher and Brittany Murphy star in a movie where the first quarter is about these two people in their mid20s, who get married and go on their honeymoon, which is, to quote Ashton Kutcher, "a honeymoon from hell!"

It IS a movie from hell. Boring and just so stupid not even funny, it's a waste of film.

Too painful to watch to the end

Author: kevindw from United States
14 March 2010

Some movies have characters who act stupid but have some redeeming quality in the plot or the overall comedy or in great actors or actresses. This one had none of that to help with the stupidity of the characters and the scenes. Take every stereotype of frat-boy behavior and add the ugly American abroad and you're going where this film did. I enjoyed the childish humor in classics like Animal House and Blazing Saddles... they showed creativity and made us laugh despite the groans. This one caused the groans and left out the laughs. Why do actors and actresses allow themselves to be seen in such trash. They can't have been that in need of money. I couldn't watch it to the end. Suggest you don't bother to start.

Just married---Christian KANE

Author: AMBER SCHULTZ from United States
24 January 2005

This movie was OK. I could have sat through a mediocre movie if I get to see Christian Kane. There was a boring plot line, mediocre acting, Ashton Kutcher is just plain annoying. Britney Murphy somehow pulls this movie and Ashton out of the down slide running toward the dump. Ashton Kutcher is immature, bad actor, and if you paid money to see this movie-You just got PUnkd. I see the point or moral of the movie, perseverance pays off with a marriage. But a marriage to Ashton Kutcher---Is it really something you would want to save or leave that mistake in Vegas? I think the fact that rather than Christian Kane "getting the girl" and Ashton defeats him trashes the ending.

We've seen this before, haven't we?

Author: ilovedolby from New York State
26 January 2003

This film looked so insulting just from the trailers. By insulting, I mean that the jokes used were the same rehashed crap that is always used in these simple, romantic comedies. Naturally some people find it quite amusing; each to his/her own, I guess. Well, the film itself really isn't too bad; but quite frankly, it isn't anything really that good either. It stars Ashton Kutcher, who's credits include, Dude, Where's My Car and he will be appearing in the sequel to that film, Seriously Dude, Where's My Car, which is due out in 2004. Among Ashton's many other talents, he's one of the main characters on Fox's hit television sitcom, That 70s Show. It's really a shame this guy wastes his time on such stupid roles, at least in motion pictures, because he has some real talent. Brittany Murphy also stars in Just Married. You may remember her from 8 Mile, Riding In Cars With Boys, Don't Say A Word, and Summer Catch. She is a very talented actress and it seems that her career is far exceeding her real-life husband, Ashton Kutcher. No offense to Aston, but the guy needs to get off of his ass and do something good for a change. He has definite talent and he wastes himself on such pitiful roles. Sometimes movies like Just Married, or Dude, Where's My Car can be quite fun to watch. But that just wasn't the case with either of these films. Just Married is based on a simple premise for a film that has been seen many times before. Not to mention that the jokes for the most part are mostly simple, and provided nothing more than a simple chuckle at times.

As I stated above, the story is simple. Two people meet by chance from opposite sides of the tracks and they fall in love. She's from a rich family. He's from a middle class home. Naturally her family doesn't want her to marry him because they've always dreamed of the better guy with enough cash in his wallet to retire at the ripe old age of thirty-five. But this just won't due for the love hungry girl, so she excepts the proposal of her middle-class boyfriend. They get married and go on a honeymoon in Europe, but as nature intended, everything goes wrong. From a really small compact car, nearly burning down and destroying whatever hotel they are in, and even ending up in jail, this pair just can't seem to get things to work in their favor. They figure they better call it quits before it gets to late. But love is in their hearts, and after all, all you need is love. Every love has it's good days, and bad days. So they give it another chance. All's well that ends well. The director of Just Married is a man named, Shawn Levy, who has given us such masterpiece films as Big Fat Liar, and two other barely memorable theatrical films from 1997 entitled, Just In Time and Address Unknown. Not to mention, he's worked on such great television series' as Lassie (1997) and The Secret World of Alex Mack (1994). Okay, okay. Perhaps I'm being too hard on this film. Just Married did give a few cute moments that made me giggle. But overall, it's every bit as disappointing as it promised to be based on the trailers. Ashton Kutcher and Brittany Murphy are great actors. And you know what, I hope Ashton does keep making comedies because the guy is just naturally funny. But for the love of Pete, at least make a film that is actually funny. **

Nothing to like in this movie

Author: oblio-8 from Missouri
9 September 2007

The supporting cast of the movie largely consists of one-dimensional stereotypes (WASPs have silly pet names! Chinese people talk funny!) -- but, sadly, they're more amusing than the lead parts.

Ashton Kutcher's Tom is an uncultured dimbulb -- but he makes up for that by being petulant, whiny, selfish, and short-tempered. His wife says that she loves him, but it's hard to understand why -- apart from a nice smile, he has nothing to recommend him.

Most of the gags in the movie are third-rate retreads of other Americans-in-Europe movies (They have tiny cars! French people are snooty!). Amazingly, this is actually a worse entry to the genre than "National Lampoon's European Vacation".

The best metaphor for the movie is the tiny car the couple drive when they arrive in Europe. It's slow-moving, underpowered, and you'll wish you hadn't rented it. (Oh, and it's not a place you'd like to be trapped with Ashton Kutcher).

Simply not funny

Author: Grann-Bach (Grann-Bach@jubii.dk) from Denmark
15 October 2006

I remember the advertisements for this film. It never looked like a movie that I'd want to spend any energy or money getting to watch, so I never did. As it aired on TV tonight(not even for the first time, either), I decided to give it a chance. The plot holds little originality, and it's not terribly interesting or engaging. The acting is fine, but overdone much of the time(seemingly more the result of the writing and direction than the work of the actors). The characters are neither likable nor realistic. They seem stereotyped and one-note, in spite of attempts at fleshing them out. Kutcher and Murphy have both given in good performances and been in good films, but here... well, at least they have fairly good on-screen chemistry. The humor mostly consists of mishaps, usually involving pain, with the occasional awkward and/or embarrassing situation. No observations, no wit, no clever references. Just unpleasant scenes. The pacing is OK. As clichéd as it was, I must admit that I liked the ending(formulaic and predictable as it may be). However, by then, it was much too late. A film that's just annoying and not at all funny, this is one you should not spend time on unless you're into the Adam Sandler type humor of pain and embarrassment being funny. I recommend this to fans of Sandler and his type of comedy. Everyone else should most likely just steer clear. 5/10