IMDb > "Revolver" (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Revolver" More at IMDbPro »

I loved it

Author: gtbarker
26 March 2007

This show was a breath of fresh air. People have to realise that before this all we had in the way of popular music programming was the pop-tastic approach of patronising Radio 1 DJs and the desperately earnest Whispering Bob on the Old Grey Whistle Test. Revolver was edgy, unapologetic, irreverent, challenging and most of all it was original. And not only that but I recall seeing some of the best live performances I have ever seen on TV - how could anyone forget Ian Dury's extended and angst-ridden version of What a Waste and I also recall even Rod putting in a good performance. It gets top marks from me for the happy memories I have of it and those times.

Not a candidate for DVD box set treatment

Author: Max Crack from United Kingdom
1 August 2006

This short-lived late-night TV music series (7 episodes) aired in summer 1978 and featured a range of bands interspersed with pre-recorded links by Peter Cook, these being projected on a large overhead screen above the studio audience. The setup was supposedly a rundown club having hit hard times, with Cook playing the disapproving, sneering host deliberately trying to antagonise everyone on set. He needn't have bothered pretending. Pretty awful, but worth a few stars if only for getting such a bizarre idea past the pitch stage, plus of course the UK punk bands (Ian Dury, X Ray Spex, Buzzcocks, Siouxsie & The Banshees etc) had not done a lot of TV at this time and are worth seeing. Made by ATV, and produced by pop impresario Mickie Most, of all people.