IMDb > "Last Call with Carson Daly" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Last Call with Carson Daly" More at IMDbPro »

Painful

Author: Bigyin from Toronto
16 May 2003

I just finished watching this show filmed live in Las Vegas, and it was painful. Carson has no humour, nor does he have any interviewing skills. The show had many of those "uncomfortable silence" moments where you felt uncomfortable even watching it from home. A true interviewer like Jack Parr, Johnny Carson or David Letterman can continue an interview regardless of the interviewee and their inane answers. Carson Daly does not have this ability. He's been on the air for a while now, so if the ability was going to show itself it would have already. Jon Stewart had the same problem, but he worked on it and achieved a good style. Carson has yet to do this. There's a reason that this show is on at 1:30am.

This Show is Horrible

Author: James Sartori from Minnesota
11 April 2003

This show sucks big time. I watched it for a while but got tired of carson asking everybody on his show what they thought about having stories made up about themselves and posted in the tabloids. This would be fine if he was interviewing a tabloid queen like J.Lo but it's always his first question and usually most of the interview.

The show gets good guests who have a story to tell and since the show is on late at night they can tell some of the stories but Carson takes over the show with his obsession will rumors that get published. So if you like the types of celebrities that Carson has on his show but actually want to hear their stories watch Kilbourn or Kimmel, but if you enjoy the same interview every night watch Carson.

Worst Late Night Show Ever

Author: youngbonzi from United States
19 May 2006

I don't think I've ever gave something a 1/10 rating, but this one easily gets the denomination. I find it hard just to sit through one of his jokes. It's not just that the jokes are so bad, but combine that with the fact that Carson Daily has zero charisma, can't set up or finish a punchline, and you've got a late night comedy recipe that will really turn your stomach.

I have watched the show, never in its entirety, but many times still. It just creeps up on me after Conan. I usually watch a minute or two just to see if Carson daily is still the worst talk show host ever.

Actually if you ever do see him interviewing a guest, it's just that, an interview. I feel so sorry every time he has a guest on and their confused smiles try to mask their body language that's screaming, "get me the hell away from this freak!" I do recommend watching the show, not for a laugh, but to ponder, how he got on the air and what he's still doing there. Watch as much as you can, I think you will find its complete awkwardness...interesting.

Uncomfortably horrible

Author: stnly124 from United States
14 May 2005

I have watched this show twice. I never new it existed until flipping through channels one night. Carson is an awesome MTV host, but a HORRIBLE late night host. In a show I watched he continuously talked about the flowers and how well they were arranged for the musical guest. NO ONE CARES!!! The music sucked and we don't watch TV to see flowers. He makes jokes the audience fails to laugh at, leaving us at home uneasy trying to watch his amateur performance. The only thing good about his show is when he knows something he says is not funny, he keeps his mouth shut and does not try dig his hole deeper. Even his guests look uncomfortable as he makes feeble attempts to interview them. Maybe he is on drugs and in his own world where everything he says is funny. NBC must be in the same boat for keeping him on air. I am a big fan of Carson, but he is just too dull for late night talk show.

Carson Daly definitely should not have his own show.

Author: shybaldbuddhist from United States
5 April 2006

Last Call with Carson Daly is perhaps the most boring television show I've ever watched. This show should be cancelled, or NBC should replace this sorry excuse of a host with some who can actually entertain people. Daly is not funny, and, to me at least, he comes across as a jerk. He's quite rude, and he almost always interrupts his guests during interviews.

This show is not entertaining in the least. It just isn't fun. There isn't a funny monologue, nor any enjoyable jokes, and the skits are just plain stupid. The actors are horrible, they've no timing, and all great entertainers need to have excellent timing.

Besides watching Carson Daly make a complete idiot of himself, I don't know what the point of watching Last Call is. I do not recommend this show to anyone. So, unless you just need to waste some time, take my advice, and don't bother watching it.

Unoriginal

Author: quasiluna from Washington, DC
6 February 2002

I have to agree with the only other reviewer - is this supposed to be a joke? Carson Daly was just fine catering to a bunch of fifteen year olds and talking about the latest Limp Bizkit and Kid Rock videos on MTV's "TRL," but as a late-night talkshow host, he is completely unoriginal, not to mention totally annoying. The only reason I stayed up to watch it is because his slot is after Conan O'Brien's. I have watched the show a few times, and I can't believe how impolite and rude Daly is to his guests. And you thought Jay Leno was bad? I was embarassed for Jason Schwartzman when he was recently a guest on the show, because he literally couldn't get a word in edgewise. Daly took it upon himself to continually insult and interrupt Schwartzman, and it was just really, really bad TV. Secondly, Daly just simply is not funny. He tries to be cool and seem like he is really "down" with his guests, but he looks like a fool and tries way too hard. And as a huge fan of Conan O'Brien, it isn't hard to tell that Daly occasionally rips off some of Conan's humor techniques and tries to nonchalantly pass them off as his own unique brand of humor. Any fan of Conan's will agree that the reason that Conan is so funny is because he 1) appeals to those who are self-deprecating and who don't mind laughing at themselves, and 2) his style is therefore completely original, because his phrases and jokes come off like they are inside jokes, like he's talking to some of his friends and you just happen to have the privilege of listening to the conversation, and understand enough to know that it's really funny. I notice Carson Daly literally taking some of the nerdy phrases and funny body contortions that Conan uses and trying to incorporate them into his monologues or interviews with his guests, much like Conan does. Except, it doesn't work, because Conan is funny, and Carson isn't. Bottom line: Believe me, if Conan wasn't obligated to promote Carson's show because it is on the same network, then you KNOW he would be ripping on Carson's show all the time.

Carson tries his best, but it's just not enough

Author: the chef
20 December 2003

I had no bias against Carson when I saw this show for the first time; I had watched TRL maybe twice ever and hadn't formed any opinions about its photogenic host. So I hope no one will think I'm prejudiced in saying that Carson lacks the necessary charisma and wit necessary to be an engaging talk show host. The monologues are mercifully short, and the interviews are just mind-numbing. Worst, whenever Carson inserts a bland line of filler, you just know that Leno or Conan would be saying something brilliant and hilarious. To his credit, he's completely sincere and doesn't display any ego during the show. But sincere people are easy to find... they don't deserve my 1:30-2:30.

Are they serious?

Author: etown7 from Hoboken, NJ
10 January 2002

Carson Daly should only be on tv for the kids who come home from school and want to see their favorite music videos on MTV. NOT for the late night audience who doesn't care about MTV and cares even less about the vj's who are replaced every few years once they reach the hip age limit. Should I assume that "Last Call" is the beginning of a transition for Carson Daly to legitimate television and movies? I certainly hope not, and here's some more news for you Carson... Pauly Shore has already run your gig into the ground and is now accepting plum roles like "man in trunk" in such prestigious films as "The Wash" with Snoop and Dr. Dre. No offense to Snoop and Dr. Dre, but the movie really stunk. I blame the writers. As for Carson Daly, let's just hope "Last Call" is really his last call to any show other than TRL.

This show is terrible!

Author: whimsicalflautist from United States
23 May 2007

Carson Daly has to be the only late night talk show host that isn't a comedian. What was NBC thinking! He's not funny! The writing is horrible to! All of the sketches are painful to watch. The current new karaoke isn't funny at all, especially since he tells you what they are going to sing before they sing it! The escalator interviews is just stupid and needless to say not funny at all. All he jokes, especially during the monologue, are the least clever, dumbest, not funny jokes ever put on television! I mean, anytime he makes a Jessica Simpson joke he ends it with "because she's stupid," which cancels out any funniness that was in the joke, which was already very low. Any 3 year old could have come up with any of the jokes and sketches they put on this lame excuse for a show. Seriously, don't watch this show, unless you're on the edge of suicide and want something to push you over the edge.

Worst late night show in the history of FOREVER

Author: youarebummy from United States
4 October 2007

Nothing Carson Daly has EVER said or done on this show has EVER made me laugh, or even smile a little. I DO NOT understand how this show has survived for so many years.

Even the "funny" band member is just like one of those kids in high school who thinks nobody is good enough to even look at him. Daly and that dude are just arrogant frat boys. It seems like they don't even try to be a little funny.

AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL show.

It makes my soul cry.

I just cannot stress enough how AWFUL this show is. Don't watch it. But if you absolutely have to, I recommend clawing your eyes out and clogging your ears with cement beforehand.