IMDb > "Grimm Masterpiece Theatre" (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Grimm Masterpiece Theatre" More at IMDbPro »"Gurimu meisaku gekijou" (original title)

The best way to tell a fairy tale

Author: Cloud Strife from Sweden
15 January 2008

This is perhaps the best show any human can ever ask for his/her childhood. I was not born when this first aired, nor was it aired in my country. Alas. I truly wish that I'd seen it when I was young. It's a classic series that is a must for any child.

It is basically an anime (yes, it is made in japan) based on the brothers Grimm's fairy tales. Cinderella, Bearskin, Beauty and the Beast, Rapunzel, you name it! For a kid's show, it's very serious, but have some jokes in it as well. No child should be without this fairy tales and this is one among the best ways to tell them.

If you missed it as a child (like me), you have to make sure that one day when you have children of your own, look up this series and show it to your children. You will not regret it, trust me!

Cute little gem

Author: MissSimonetta from United States
12 September 2011

Upon first glance, this little known Japanese series from the 80s might not seem like anything more than a collection of poor low-budget fairy tale adaptations. Grimm's' Masterpiece Theater, however, is a nice surprise. The show's re-tellings of fairy and folk tales are entertaining without feeling rushed or childish, and while they lack the big numbers and beautiful animation Disney adaptations are endowed with, they hold up well enough, never feeling like cheap rip-offs of previous Disney versions.

The episodes cover a wide variety of fairy tales, from familiar stories such as Rapunzel and Cinderella, to less known yarns such as The Seven Swans. While child-friendly, the stories are never dumbed down or clogged with pop culture references and fart jokes. The stories also take few cues from earlier Disney adaptations, making them quite unique.

As to be expected in a low-budget series, the animation is very limited, however, the appealing character designs make up for it with their simplicity and charm. The backgrounds are also quite pleasant to look at.

As for the voice acting and music, they're passable. At points, the actors have to belt out their lines at Mach speed in order to get the lip sync right. The music is forgettable and reused in every episode, but that's more of a nitpick than an actual issue in this case. All in all, this is an entertaining little gem for children. It's nothing out of this world, but it's pretty good nonetheless and strides ahead of the televised garbage kids are exposed to these days.