IMDb > Ziggy's Gift (1982) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Ziggy's Gift (TV) More at IMDbPro »

In my top 3

Author: lylee from Los Angeles, CA
23 December 2004

I completely agree with the last person who posted on this, which was over a year ago. "Ziggy's Gift" is is one of the top 3 Christmas specials ever made, right up there with Charlie Brown and the Grinch. In fact, I'd even go so far as to say it's better than Grinch (though Charlie Brown is still my favorite). It's heartwarming without being sappy, witty without being jaded, and laugh-out-loud funny without being crude. My family has it on Beta - which, for the record, still works! - and we watch it just about every Christmas, along with the other two classics. I'm sorry it seems to have been completely forgotten, because it really is (or should have been) one for the ages.

A True Classic!!!

Author: Peter (3_Beekman_Place) from Philadelphia, Pa.
6 February 2003

This is a classic Christmas cartoon that deserves to be watched every year. Why it's not shown anymore is beyond me, but I bought this on video YEARS ago. It's a typical feel good story, like Charlie Brown or The Grinch... but it's simpler. Ziggy wants to help others during the holiday season. He takes a job ringing a bell, dressed like Santa and collect for the poor. But the man who hired him is running a scam and keeping the money. There's also a thief, who's after Ziggy and his money. And a cop... who's after the phony Santas. But more than the money, the thief wants the kettle, for it seems to have magical powers. The thief reaches in for something for himself and finds the kettle empty. Ziggy uses it to help others. It will make you feel great and want to watch it every year!

Ziggy's Gift : Simple but Strong.

Author: happipuppi13 from Phx. Arizona ("Arizona Smells Funny"!- Homer Simpson)
29 October 2006

I recently got to watch "Ziggy's Gift" on DVD because I had not seen this on TV since the 80s. For a holiday special it's quite simple and understated. It's setting is modern with a few of the things that make the holidays depressing mentioned.

Ziggy is a plain and simple guy with a cute pet pup. He lives alone and it's never clear if he even works but he's in obvious financial straits in having to take a job as a street corner Santa. He doesn't have much but he still has room in his heart to be giving towards others.

His timing for this occupation is unfortunate because the police are combing the city to find crooked Santas that are collecting money for themselves.

Not knowing,Ziggy is followed by a really creepy looking guy who's really a sleaze. He's also followed by an officer who is suspicious of his activity. The holiday spirit seems lost until Ziggy,The policeman and the creep meet up in front of the local orphanage.

They scuffle but then see they're being watched and quickly break into a Christmas Carol. They are then invited in and Ziggy,the cop and the creepy guy end up helping the kids with gifts and holiday cheer.

It's a great special and it something that should be watched each year to remind us that,no matter how bad it gets in the world,we can't let those things destroy our humanity or our hearts.

Here's to you Zig,you are not forgotten (END)

Holiday Fun and Ziggy Humor

Author: gwalsh1 from United States
14 October 2005

Such a nice film. Great for any age. The storyline is typical Ziggy. The guy always wants to do good for people, and he has the same life troubles as the rest of us. The perfect icon of everything that is every person. Ziggy's Gift is the perfect date movie, especially in early courtship with someone. The holiday theme only adds to the heartfelt sentiments that are soooo Ziggy. It's a great film for the whole family to watch too. I can see grandparents and kids as young as 3 or 4 watching this together. Ziggy is great and Mr. Wilson deserves a lot of credit for taking the chance to extend him beyond the print pages. He created a classic flick to be enjoyed every holiday season.