IMDb > Rolling Kansas (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Rolling Kansas More at IMDbPro »

Thomas Hayden Church made a helluva good movie

Author: nwanda5 from United States
9 February 2005

Every once in a while a movie comes out that you can show to the network of "friends that truly appreciate good movies" and everyone agrees that, indeed, this really is a good movie. Although a rare occasion, when the network shake their unanimous head in agreement, it is so. And as it should be with "Rolling Kansas". Having read the other lukewarm yet predictably lackluster review for this movie, I felt compelled to set the proverbial record straight and clear up a few things. Stoner comedy? Sure the movie has a loose affiliation to the herb if you're looking at the surface of things, but there's a lot more going on than there appears in this fine piece of film-making: Take a closer look and you'll notice that, with the exception of a flashback sequence in the movie's intro, NOBODY SMOKES ANYTHING THROUGHOUT THE REST OF THE MOVIE! However, to make up for it, there's an abundance of random five star comedy, Mia Zotolli and Rip Torn's finest work in years and an unexpected twist at the end that you'd be hard pressed to see coming. Add to that a high-larious smaller part played by the writer/director and you have one of the funniest, most originally creative pieces of cinematography I've seen in a long time. But not everybody's into a good plot, believable characters and great directing. If not, go watch dumb and dumberer.

Entertaining and very amusing

Author: ardle69 from Boston
14 December 2004

The movie itself is fairly uneventful, not much happens, but it's funny as hell. Great performances by the cast of actors who all played tiny parts, but very funny parts in other films. It is in a sense a stoner movie, but for most of the film the characters aren't smoking and most of the jokes don't stem from stoner jokes. The humor comes from the fact that these characters have nothing in common and most of them are ridiculously over the top. However, this film entertains from start to finish with off beat humor and solid directing from Thomas Hayden Church. Figuring the power DVD has this film could definitely develop a cult following. ***1/2 out of ****

Rolling Kansas a character driven stoner movie, no way!

Author: Pidgey1 from United States
19 October 2004

Rolling Kansas has the unique opportunity of actually being a good character driven film hidden beneath the paper mache surface of a stoner movie. A gaggle of young men, a car, a cooler of beer on a search of mythical medical marijuana oasis in Kansas. Need I say more, Yes! These guys are interesting, and they are funny dare I say that they have depth, but not in the traditional sense, more like we don't dumb ourselves down to be funny, depth. Yes, it is a silly movie with a silly premise, three brothers attempt to make a financial killing from harvesting pot that their parents found in Kansas when the boys were wee lads. They find a map and get the wheels, hyjinx ensu. Nothing new there, it's just that the pace and the dialog are actually engaging. Roll on kansas, roll on!

I just viewed this gem !

Author: caser3704 from United States
8 January 2005

As far as marijuana themed counter culture comedies go, there aren't many that are memorable. " Half Baked " With Jim Bruer & Dave Chappelle had it's moments ( Including Jerry Garcia as an apparition ) as did the Cheech & Chong movies (With unexpected guest appearances like Tom Skerritt or Paul Rubens ) But for many , the C&C comedy albums were funnier ( Especially when elevated ) .True worshipers of the sacred leaf were left to appreciate quick references in mainstream comedies for validation , like Booger offering the rest of his nerd comrades " wonder-joints " Or Karen Allen getting stoned with Donald Sutherland in " Animal House " & so on .I watched " Rolling Kansas " for the first time a few days ago , & I enjoyed it so much I went back for a second viewing . It had all the signs of a decent roll-a-fatty comedy , including hot farm-girl strippers, senior citizens ( both irritated & aloof ) Broderick Crawford style law enforcement officials ( still laughing about officer mam .. sir ... ) & of course the magical pot field of government grown & subsidized Maryjane. I am very much a Rip Torn fanatic , & after watching I went out for a drive praying to run into some crusty Oldman character who would chuck corncobs at my head & brag about a hefty sack of chronic whilst rolling a hog-leg( yet another handle for you know what ) OK , disregard my inane ramblings of joy and see it anyway , I can't do it justice with my own observations-There are a lot of subtle references to great movies like deliverance style banjo highlights every time prison is mentioned , or the " We hate outsiders " sentiment that recalls Fonda,Hopper & Nicholson walking into a rural diner in " Easy Rider " ( Complete with a plump waitress named " Dot " ) If I haven't ruined it already I must say I was a little bummed at the ending . To quote fat Freddy from the Freak Bros." Times with dope & no money will get you through better than times with money & no dope "

Bottom line: Funny Movie.

Author: (adelman00@yahoo.com) from Ann Arbor, Michigan
28 February 2003

Ok. So i saw this movie yesterday at the USCAF 2003 and was graced with the presence of Haden Church for the screening. I always have a hard time watching a movie with the filmmakers (I know, poor me!) because I feel like I have to laugh and that my perception of the movie is changed) Yet the more I think about this movie the more I like it. It is like Road Trip minus the trite love story that always takes away from the film. Though it (sort of) has that element, it really isn't a big part of the movie. I already had a sweet spot for it when I saw Charlie Finn as one of the main characters (the Dimpus Burger guy from Super Troopers) who, I think, is f**king hilarious, though he will probably turn out to only play these kind of parts, the dim-witted yet charming stoner. ANYWAYS, the movie is funny. The characters are vibrant and funny, each carrying their weight of the movie equally well. Gratuitous nudity is always a plus, especially when the chick is smoking hot, and she is. Rip Torn has a sweet bit part as an old stoner, to which i was laughing so hard because, well... it is Rip Torn. It was also good to see the reunion of Thomas Haden Church and Kevin Pollack as comical cops

(the cops from 3000 Miles To Graceland.. awful movie) who are so good together I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a movie where they were the main characters. It could definitely work and I for one would go see it. Well I'll quit rattling on and just say that if this movie hits theaters nationwide, definitely check it out.

Good Movie

Author: udo78 from United States
18 January 2006

This was a very good movie.. I was surprised I never heard of it before it was on Comedy Central.. a lot of the actors are great at comedy... Much better than what I expected when it came on at 2 am one morning. I highly recommend this movie for both stoners and non-stoners alike! There is a variety of different types in this movie... The movie storyline and era are timeless.. and could take place this year or in1965... Hard to tell when it is supposed to be. If you have the chanceto rent or view it on TV, take it.

I would give this movie an 8 out of 10. It could show some actual "use" to give it a little more authenticity.. also seems that they tried to rush it a little.. But I am sure it was edited for TV... I would also love to see if there were some deleted scenes!

Outstanding!

Author: General_G from United States
30 August 2005

Great movie! I have read a lot of bad reviews about Rolling Kansas, but I disagree with all of them. Fantastic! Three brothers and two friends driving up two states to a magical forest of marijuana and they make a new friend whos a hitchhiker who is played by Rip Torn! At the end they made $450,000 more then they were trying to make. I also like the time setting of the movie, around the early nineties. The main character in the movie, Dick, never has anything go right in his life. He just had gone through a divorce, his T-Shirt business was failing and he lost a lot of his stuff in the divorce. Its nice that they all had a happy ending and that at the end Oldman got himself a melon truck and went to visit his friends in Texas.

I enjoyed this movie and maybe you would too...

Author: cigar_stash from Canada
1 September 2005

In my opinion this was a good movie. I thought that it was funny and entertaining with a good story and good acting, especially since, with the exception of Rip Torn, i had never heard of any of the actors before in my life. My only real complaint about this film is that THEY Didn't SMOKE ANY WEED except for the hippie dude at the beginning during the flashback sequence. They showed some J's and there was a scene when they were in the car with Rip Torn's character where they were all laughing at stupid s**t and were presumably high but no actual smoking which was a disappointment. But I still enjoyed the film, especially Kevin, the gay and stupid friend cause he was f***ing hilarious. Also the hot naked chick was awesome and all the weird seniors and the humorous cops. And it had a good "everything worked out" ending too. Anyways, good movie, you should check it out. pz.

It's Like a Beastie Boys Video!

Author: Dinkadoo85 from Maine
20 July 2004

Everything in this weed-coated Thomas Haden Church adventure reminds me of almost any of the Beastie Boys music videos I've seen. Everything from the faded, washed-out, sepia-toned coloring to the fake mustaches worn by THC to conceal his identity as the agent and the state trooper.

It really makes me wonder why the Beasties haven't gotten THC to direct one of their newer videos. That would be cool :)

Anyway, the movie is one of the more original films I've seen lately. It isn't too deep, as popularized in newer films because of Lord of the Rings, Spiderman, etc. and it doesn't rely on expensive computer animation to keep people entertained a la The Specials, a movie featuring the almighty Church. Too bad that comedy is beginning to fail in the box office (and on network TV) or we'd start seeing more movies like this. Everybody already knows my favorite character is Dinkadoo... just look at my "net name". If I had to make a recommendation to anyone in order to see this film, I'd tell them that the film's humor is similar to Office Space (which I enjoy a lot).

One funny ass movie

Author: Jackpollins from United States
9 January 2010

Rolling Kansas is a truly underrated comedy about the brothers Murphy. They are Dick (James Roday), the oldest brother, Dinkadoo (Sam Huntington), the handicapped jerk, and Dave (Jay Paulson), the unsuccessful business owner. Along with their friends Kevin (Charlie Finn) and Hunter (Ryan McDow), they travel across the country when they find out that their parents owned a big field of weed. The film features smart, funny dialogue, perfect timing, and a surprisingly worth while message about friends, families, and relationships overall. The film reminds me of a kind of independent, stoner version of Road Trip. While there is not actually any pot smoking in the film itself, it can be said that it is one of the best stoner films ever made. I couldn't stop laughing throughout the whole movie, but by the end it ends up becoming surprisingly touching and heartwarming. It's sure as hell a good sign when a film about a road trip to find a field of drugs turns heartwarming. All the young actors are excellent, along with Rip Torn as an old man who helps them find the field of weed, and the film is a must see to anyone with even a tiny sense of humor or heart in their bodies.