Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (VG) More at IMDbPro »Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (original title)

Excellent Game

Author: ChibiScout311 from USA
16 July 2002

This game, where you control Harry Potter, is set at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I liked it a lot because it is like you are actually taking a tour of Hogwarts. It was also fun because there are so many secret passages with surprises that it makes the game always a challenge. Finally, I liked it because it's not terribly easy, especially when you're in the Quidditch game, and that also makes it very interesting and fun to play.

Potter casts the magic to gamers

Author: peb1999 from Birmingham, AL. United States
15 August 2015

The best version of the first Potter game is definitely on the GBA, which has the most RPG elements of all the systems. It truly captures the feel of being at Hogwarts with a grand sense of adventure and exploring and it never lags all the while GBA: 8/10 The PC version is the most easy, most basic version of the game and takes no more than 3 hours to beat. And yet it's super fun! And it really is, well, magical. PC: 8/10 The Play Station port is certainly where the graphics are at their lowest point, but they are easy to forgive, as the game play presents itself as a fun and challenging experience worth playing, making this one the best of the console versions. Play Station: 7/10 Later on in 2003, they decided to release Sorcerer's Stone on next gen consoles which brought in better graphics, but also a lesser quality. The Game Cube and Xbox ports were at least decent, you could tell they put in some effort and tried here. But they didn't have the sense of wonder and magic the other versions before had. They aren't great, but they end up alright. Game Cube and Xbox: 6/10 The Play Station 2 is the worst port of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. It is dull, boring and ever so predictable. I had very little fun and I had enjoyment, but not enough to call this game a good one. It's just a forgettable, mediocre button-masher. Play Station 2: 5/10 But I'm sure you've noticed at the top of this review, there is an 8/10. Yes, I am a ridiculously huge Harry Potter fan. Yes, I probably added an extra star for nostalgia. But the PC and GBA versions are done so well, proving there can be good licensed games every once in a while. Magical they are indeed. And for that reason, I think Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone video game deserves an overall rating of an 8/10.

great way to see harrys world for yourself.

Author: coryashire from coos bay, oregon
9 October 2002

I have played this game and i must say that i am amazed how close it is to the book. for those who havent read the books but are fans of the first movie i would suggest that you read the book first as there are some tasks in the game that where not in the movie. the potions game on the way to the stone is a perfect example. even though i love the game i give it a 8 as i have never been able to complete it straight to the end with out using the lvl cheat to get past fluffy but i still recommend it to anyone who is interested in a game that challenges the mind while entertaining the senses.

very,very good game

Author: Otter-17 from Tokyo
25 August 2002

I am a hardline online gamer, have been for 5 years. I bought this game because 1; i like the books, and 2; it seemed a gentle enough game to introduce my son, all of 3 years and 10 months, into the educational values of a decent computer game with a good, non-violent story attached. This game is great, and my son loves it ( i control Harry with the direction keys, my son casts spells on switches, trees, doxy's and gnomes etc with the mouse. His hand/eye co-ordination is developing a treat). This is a thoroughly engaging, well thought out and imaginative game. The graphics and lighting are pleasing, the attention to detail is authentic and amusing (example; wizard card details), the levels are well designed and their variety has a good balance and is close in feel and plot to the first book. It;s a great kid's game, and adults may well enjoy it too. I certainly have.

btw, of special note should be the music by Jeremy Soule which is absolutely superb, far better than the movie's score in my opinion, and whoever the voice talent was who did a ripping John Cleese impression for the voice of Nearly Headless Nick deserves a round of applause.

Excellent adaption of the book

Author: (arobbins100@hotmail.com) from Melbourne, australia
7 January 2002

Wonderful as a book, this, the first of the Harry Potter stories has been very skillfully turned into a screen delight. The sets, the effects, the cast are very true to the book. Some adaption to the plot has occurred, but with no detriment to the story. This is a movie for all ages.

Actio Gameplay !

Author: leplatypus from PariS
28 February 2010

I finished the seven books in a row and felt orphan of this marvelous wizarding world. As I waited for the next last two movies to watch them all (so far I have seen only the 1,2 and 4), I decided to play the video game with the kid.

We found this first opus great because the game has amazing graphics: as someone else said, it is like a virtual visit of Hoggwarts. In addition, the gameplay is easy and it is made for kids: the level asks for quickness and a bit of reflexion.

On the other side, the game has major flaws as well: first, I don't think it uses the John Williams' theme and it is a pity. And above all, some levels are impossible to finish: the quidditch games, the troll chase and for sure, the fight against Voldemort!

In conclusion, a good game but it needs the six other to be perfect!