IMDb > Drumline (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Drumline

Drumline More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 19: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

I'm glad this film was produced..

Author: jmstrange from Vancouver, Canada
24 May 2003

Sometimes we anticipate far too much from a cinematic production, always expecting an Oscar-winning performance for our hard-earned dollar. This film needed to be made and I'm glad they did it. Historically, we have seen a multitude of films that depict the passions of various sub-cultures. We've watched non-documentary films about the passion for bicycle racing, chasing tornadoes, ballroom dancing to name only a few. Few have delivered academy performances, but nevertheless remain in the memories of those that love their art. They serve to expose the mainstream to a particular craft. Drumline's predictable story line is simply the standard framework that supports an underlying passion for the marching band's drumline. Sharing a love for music, rhythm, performing arts and athletics, I found this film quite entertaining. I chose to focus my appreciation to the film's passion for the "beat". Marching band purists will undoubtably pull the details apart. Perhaps sitting down with the 5.1 sound cranked up enhanced the experience, but there is magic in seeing the final tie-breaker sequence unfold. Camera technique and movements were dynamic, artful and do not go unnoticed. Added creative touches to the credits held this viewer's attention after the story ended. A fun, easy view, Drumline leaves a wonderful impression of the craft of the college marching band!

It's Drumline (not The Drumline)

Author: parenthetical-guy
22 May 2003

When you see a movie like this one, you've gotta know it's not going to be some epic tale of historic proportions -- or chock full of accurate nitpicky details. Hell, it doesn't even have that pretentious "The" in the title.

I thought is was light, funny and entertaining. Which is what I thought it was trying to be.

What I didn't expect was some intelligent, deft handling of racial stereotypes that was at the same time refreshing and moving.

I thought the technical drum work was great, too. The backsticking and stick grabs in the final "battle" was just amazing.

Was it real? Who cares? Was it accurate? I don't know. Were they Oscar caliber performances? I wasn't looking for it.

Drumline is a fine film that delivers what it promises. Nothing more, nothing less.

Unbearably predictable and hardly watchable

Author: drew_graham1 from Provo, UT
15 May 2003

I knew going in that this film was going to be formulaic and thoroughly predictable, which is why I never bothered seeing it in the theater. Only after a hearty recommendation from a close friend did I decide to see it, an issue I will surely address with her later... I hate very few movies, but this one came pretty darn close.

First of all, I found the acting atrocious, particularly in, well, the LEAD, Nick Cannon as Devon Mills, which made the whole film almost unbearable from the START. I hated him and never cared if he learned anything (which it seemed he didn't). I found myself often rooting for the opposing band, Morris Brown, and I thought the most admirable student throughout was the oh-so-nasty-but-eventually-nice-guy section leader Sean. Frankly, I found the obvious and bland character of the token white guy offensive and he hardly stood out as anything but another brother. The character of Laila, however, was intriguing and offered one of the only memorable acting jobs throughout. Orlando Jones as Mr. Holland, I mean Dr. Lee was passable, but hardly memorable.

Directorially, it was obvious they were spicing up otherwise OKAY arrangements with an interesting shot, but if I had to sit through one more musical/change of heart/"Why Can't We Be Friends" montage, I was seriously going to end it all right then and there. As for the ending, gee, I really wondered what was going to happen at the end. Sure, they threw me for a loop, having a TIE, but that only prolonged the misery. I whole-heartedly wished the lead would drop his stick or get arrested or beat or SOMETHING to stir things up a little. And another thing: Every time the Color Guard (of sorts) came on, I swore someone had spliced clips from Bring It On into my copy.

I love my memories of the good old days in the band, but I did NOT love this movie. I'm really sorry I stayed up so late watching this. I just kept hoping something interesting would happen. All in all, I'm glad I work at an establishment that allows me to rent DVDs for free so that I don't have to live with the fact that I paid four dollars or more to see this movie, which I consider to be one of the worst I've seen all year.

1.9/10 for some interesting musical arrangements and amusing, albeit sparse field formations.

Why complain about every goddamn thing in the movie

Author: Trev
7 May 2003

why complain about the show....the storyline was decent, the characters weren't perfect but what movie is? Drumline was a tight movie, can't take that away from the directors or the cast. Good show, all the critics make your own movies and talk about them. Much love to the cast and directors.

Very Poorly Done

Author: sycodrummer_11 from Boston, Massachusettes
4 May 2003

As a drummer and drum major at the high school, college, and professional level, this film was a disgrace to drumlines. The was little if any real marching in the show. Dancing and theatrics are reserved for the color guard. Although the drumline will choreograph moves into their show it would not be to the extent done in this movie. Furthermore, the way in which the line was organized was not correct. A drumline of that caliber would not simply have the line and its leader. Rather, they would have their own arranger, choreographer, caption head, and section leader. All those involved needed to be better informed on how a drumline really works, before this movie was made.

Sounds Cheesey But Not A Bad Film.

Author: Gezzerboy from London
28 April 2003

Watched this one the other night due to poor boredom. Well i was supprised a film about American marching bands you must admit sounds like a yawn fest....

Well i gotta say there is some serious Drum Action in here and the story lines not bad. All in all i was suprised as the 90mins swept buy quickly without a yawn .....

7/10 from me

A very enjoyable, if predictable, film

Author: Attila-2 from San Diego, CA
26 April 2003

Many of the negative comments here miss the point. This is a formulaic movie; almost everything in the plot is predictable from the beginning. With films like these, it's how they tell the story not the story. And this is well told. It's fun, it's entertaining and the characters and performers are very appealing. The script has some problems -- there are too many sub-plots, some character conflicts are predictable but not convincing -- but films of this genre are not typically blessed with great plots. So what?

It's the characters that count and Devon has an approppriate and largely believable "arc" in the film, Laila (his girl) is sweet, believable, appealing and with a perfectly acceptable "arc," Dr. Lee (Orlando Jones) is only OK and the film would have been better had his character been a little better realized (in the script). Jones does as much as possible with the role, however. \ So sit back and enjoy it. It isn't the best movie of all time, probably not the best of its genre, but it's fun and occasionally touching. And that is a lot more than one can say about the majority of movies being released of late.

Unfortunately, not what it could have been

Author: mgbesq (mikebellfilms@yahoo.com)
24 April 2003

I just watched the DVD of 'Drumline' and was pretty disappointed. I

was on the drumline in high school, and so I thought this flick was

right up my alley. I didn't march show-style like the bands in the

movie, but we always went to see the competitions when they

came into town and as a result I have seen some pretty amazing

stuff go down on the field.

I think the biggest problem with 'Drumline' lies squarely with the

director. The routines that he filmed, I felt, weren't worthy of the

competitions they were supposedly a part of. The "best" routine at

the end of the movie isn't really up to snuff compared to the real

thing. All of the routines are shot with that high shutter-angle trick

(think 'Saving Private Ryan') to accent the sticks and the steps, but

even with that the performances just fall flat because of, if you can

believe this, a lack of camera movement. Usually movies like this

that are geared for younger audiences are chop-chop-chop full of

rock 'n roll cinematography and edits, but oddly 'Drumline' is very

static, to its own detriment.

The script and the acting aren't any better or worse than any other

movie like this. I did have a bit of a problem with the relationship

between the band director and the dean, which seemed rather

phony. If the dean wants funkier music, then he should just order

it be so. Suddenly we're faced with a band director who spends

the whole movie going on about order and sacrifice for the greater

good, and firmly establishing his belief in the chain of command,

but has a problem with his own superior? I didn't buy this for a

second.

I really wanted this movie to be good, but it just wasn't. This is by

no means the worst movie you'll ever see, not even close. It's just

passable when it could have been great given the subject matter.

Very disappointing.

I guess we're going to have to wait a little longer for a movie that

gives marching bands their due justice. Horns up!

nick cannon and this film are the best

Author: Linz (i_love_nick_cannon) from illinois
20 April 2003

oh my god! how can this movie be rated so low?!?!?! THIS IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER and NICK CANNON IS AWESOME! whoever thinks otherwise is dead wrong! the musics great but the scripts not? my big fat hairy butt! everything about its awesome, especially the main character whos charming talented and HOTT!!!!!!! shame on those of u who say otherwise!!!

This Movie Was Half Real, Half Fake

Author: leighabc123 from Portsmouth, Virginia
19 April 2003

A Bunch OF SPOILERS Ahead!!!

First, let's go to the beginning of the movie. Devon went to his father's job to disrespect him after his graduation. I know many students who disrespect their fathers for being crummy and don't invite them to their graduation. But after this scene, there is a hole in the plot of the movie. Where were the boys coming from when they were on the bus in Atlanta? This was the scene where all the boys first met each other and said what instruments they played. This was the scene where the bus driver talks about how good Morris Brown's band was and disrespects Dr. Lee. Shouldn't they have known each other before the bus ride if they were coming from the same location?

It was so funny seeing Orlando Jones play a serious role. Marching band directors are really perfectionists just like Dr. Lee portrays in the movie. Band practices are really torture and students are really really competitive! I played in the band for a while and I was in the orchestra for five years.

But Devon getting a full band scholarship and not knowing how to read music is a made up lie! In my city, you can't even make the 7th grade band squad without knowing how to read music. A college band student on a full band scholarship not knowing how to read music is like a college student on an academic scholarship not knowing how to read books! How can someone fool anyone like that for four years in high school?

While I am on that subject, when in was found out that Devin couldn't read music, he should have been sent to the next plane home to NYC! When Devin was actually cut from the band, he was still allowed to stay at the college. In real life, he would have lost every dime of his scholarship, and he would have to clean out his room and sent on the next plane back home. No argument!

The anger, disrespect, stuck up attitudes, and competition were the only realistic things in this entire movie!

This movie had such a predictable ending! Everyone should have known that Atlanta A&T would have won the band competition. The main group always win competitons in all movies.