IMDb > Drumline (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Drumline

Drumline More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 19: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Good, but I have some gripes

Author: Meg H from United States
2 August 2003

I just finished watching this film and I did like it. I'm a drum major for a high school marching band, so maybe I set my hopes a little too high. It's not the greatest thing I've ever seen, but it is watchable. The drumming was fantastic! However, there are some things that irked me throughout the entire film. 1.) Devon's character is a brat through the entire film, and his character's lack of respect for his director and section leader really made me mad. My band director would never have stood for any such thing, and we are just a high school band. 2.) The slang started to get old. "You trippin' yo?" WHAT IS THAT?? If a group of adults, even band directors and moms and dads sat around watching this movie, they wouldn't have understood it.

Even so, I am very happy that a film was made about band, and not another sports film. Don't get me wrong, I like films like "Remember the Titans," or "Rudy," but for once people need to realize that band isn't for whimps. It takes a lot of energy to make a marching band truly great, and we marchers know that sometimes we don't get the appreciation we deserve.

Anyway, I have been using this coloumn for my own personal views on bands when I should be talking about "Drumline." I guess in the end, this film is not just for us band dorks, it's for everyone. And even with the somewhat predictable plot, it has a good story and portrays good lessons about respecting others.

JOLTING with awesome music and hot girls.

Author: Jacob Bailis (toopie@att.net) from Claremont, California
28 July 2003

One of the most entertaining movies of the year! Somewhat within the category of Bring It On. Nick Cannon is great and can play the drums like a pro, and Orlando Jones is awkwardly good, regarding the role. And Zoe Saldana aah! the hottest black girl that I've ever seen in a movie, and is also really good in this. I'd want to rewatch this film any day anytime anywhere, just Fantastic!!!!!!

nice visuals

Author: Dfredsparks from Dallas, TX
13 July 2003

A guest of mine rented this movie recently. I hadnt really had a compelling desire to see it. I have to say i enjoyed it more than i thought i would. There were some nice visuals, especially the quick motion shots of, I believe, Morris Brown's band invading the field like ants, and the twirling of the cymbals overhead. Some of the music and dance sequences were nice, some better than others. But the plot was somewhat trite and predictable, and the dialogue was mundane. Plus, I think that Spike Lee's School Daze and the television show A Different World gave large audiences a glimpse of black college life, so its not a completely novel subject matter. In other words, this movie was not an unpleasant experience but i wouldnt necessarily rush to see again

nice visuals

Author: Dfredsparks from Dallas, TX
13 July 2003

A guest of mine rented this movie recently. I hadnt really had a compelling desire to see it. I have to say i enjoyed it more than i thought i would. There were some nice visuals, especially the quick motion shots of, I believe, Morris Brown's band invading the field like ants, and the twirling of the cymbals overhead. Some of the music and dance sequences were nice, some better than others. But the plot was somewhat trite and predictable, and the dialogue was mundane. Plus, I think that Spike Lee's School Daze and the television show A Different World gave previously unexposed large audiences a glimpse of black college life, so its not a completely novel subject matter, which would make up for the lack of originality in the plot. In other words, this movie was not an unpleasant experience but i wouldnt necessarily rush to see it again

A stroll down memory lane

Author: jeannatay from New York
7 July 2003

I absolutely loved this movie!! I feel there were fine performances by Nick Cannon as well as Orlando Jones. Surprisingly I only thought of Mr. Jones as comedy but he was able to pull off this dramatic roll in a serious manner which i truly admired. I also loved this movie because it reminded me of my college days of watching and listening to the bands perform. I felt it was well scripted,well performed and an overall enjoyable movie. So the plot may have been predictable but the characters involved allowed you to get to know them and experience their trials and tribulations and get a first hand view of the steps involved to gaining "one band one sound". It displayed that it was not all glitz,glamour and booty shaking but it took real talent and dedication. So Yes I loved this movie and yes I will watch it another million times!!!

Finally, a movie that puts band people in a positive light!

Author: Nick (big_ringer@yahoo.com) from Nacogdoches, TX
10 June 2003

For years, in the movies, people in band were seen as immensely geeky (a little "Lucas" or "American Pie" anyone) Then comes a movie like "Drumline" to set people straight. Even though it's set at a black college, EVERY person who has enjoyed the band experience can relate to this movie. From getting up at ungodly hours in the morning so you can go practice, to dealing with the jitters that come when halftime starts. Not to mention the plot, albeit a tad formula, isn't really that bad! I hope filmmakers will get a clue and realize that not all band people are mouth-breathing dorks!

Better than 5.8

Author: jowong from Athens, NY
9 June 2003

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. The lack of critical and popular appeal surprises me. It was playing at only one theater in my area and it never made it to many screens across the country, what a shame. I thoroughly enjoyed the score and the storyline. The reviews that I read on this site that criticize the movie seem to center around the lack of realism in the portrayal of marching bands, but never having been in a marching band, I enjoyed the artistic license of the drumline. While there are certainly no award winning performances on the part of the cast, I thought there was wonderful chemistry among the cast.

*shudder*

Author: bblonde333 from TX
8 June 2003

Wow, this has to be one of the worst movies I have seen!

How hard is it to get some percussionists to do this movie? If there's a sequel, I'll be glad to do it! Just please try not to give a bunch of actors sticks and expect real percussionists to be pleased with the movie. There's parts where I can point out that they don't play on the drums, or fast forward the scenes to make it look like they are sticking fast. "one band, many bad sounds" should be there motto too. I don't think I heard too many parts that were clean and, being in a drumline, it's awful to hear. (It'd be like a baseball player watching a movie about a baseball team that drops balls, strikes out, and trips all the time). That one scene where the band was playing a scale I was literally cringing it sounded so awful (I believe it was some trumpet that was WAY out of tune). There's other things I could point out too but they've probably already been pointed out in previous reviews so I won't bother.

And don't be fooled thinking that the fancy sticking they did during the cadences was amazing bc we do visuals like that or harder......and we're MARCHING. (see what the band was doing in the movie, that ain't marching) If anyone is interested in some REAL good drumlines check out the Cavialiers, Blue Knights, Cadets, Glassmen, or any other DCI drumline. That's talent.

What's up with the Pearl snares? Yamaha SFZ people!

Oh yeah, and one more thing: Flight of the Bumble Bee ROCKS!

Fantastic

Author: gigawattx from Huntsville, AL
6 June 2003

I loved this movie. It is difficult to get people that have never experienced being in a great band with a great drumline to understand the passion and what it feels like out there on the field kicking the other bands umm....tail; To work and push yourselves so hard and put your heart into it..and..well, I could keep going all day. The point is, it is nice to see a well-done movie about something I'm so passionate about. I was in the Auburn U. Marching Band (Trumpet) from '89-'92. We patterned ourselves after DCI (Drum Corp International for those that don't know) as much as a college marching band could. Sure, there are points where I thought AU's Drumline was better, but that's not the point. It was a good representation of the passion and intensity that goes into good marching bands. Most people that don't appreciate marching bands have never really been exposed to it in this way. I thought it was a great movie.

One of the best movies that I have seen lately !

Author: carterwg from North Carolina
1 June 2003

I saw this movie on pay per view and enjoyed it very much. Years ago I was a band member, and this may be why I enjoy the movie so much.

The movie has a nice story to tell on several levels. If you are tired of a lot of hype type movies that let you down, try Drumline. You'll be glad you did.