IMDb > Drumline (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Drumline

Drumline More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 19: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

A Drumming Rocky

Author: billcr12 from United States
31 August 2012

Nick Cannon(or Mariah Carey's husband) is Devon Miles, a talented drummer who graduates from high school in New York City, and is accepted into a mostly black college to play in a marching band. The leader tells him that he must learn to read music and to be a member of the team. He is arrogant and a show off, which causes friction with the rest of the band, and eventually, after a fight with a rival school's drummer, he is thrown out. Another school offers him a full scholarship to join their band and compete in a contest with his present school. The complication is a girlfriend, Laila(Zoe Saldana), who is a dancer and a classmate. After the usual confrontations, Devon rejoins the marching band, and leads them against the other college in a drum off, which is really well done and makes Drumline an exceptionally entertaining movie a 7.5/10.

Once again I have found a new move for my list of favorites.

Author: bobbyhollywood from United States
27 March 2012

Having read johnharrison-1 review, I have to agree completely. However, I have had some musical training, and have tried drums. Give me a Trombone any day:)

I didn't get into this movie for about five or ten minutes, but once in, you could not get me away from it. I truly enjoy drums, from bongos to kettle, I like them all. The snair drum when played by someone who knows what they are doing, is really something to listen to, so, I guess you would say I enjoyed this movie. YES! Just wish I had recorded it, next time it comes around, I am going to get the soundtrack if not the whole thing. The finish of the competition is perfect. Buy or rent, you should enjoy this one. Loved the part where the Instructor learned a lesson.

Definitely could have been worse...

Author: motorfocus82 from United States
19 February 2012

First of all, Morris Brown should have won the final showdown.

I say this after many years of playing in drumlines, high school, college, and eventually a shot at the Blue Knights, which I missed. It's been years since this came out, but I would still love to see a well- done sequel that pitted a drumline coached by Devon against a DCI-style line that actually had some serious precision, discipline, and power. Throwing the two styles against each other would definitely liven things up a bit, and we'd get some sweet, heart-melting DCI brass power chords to go along with it.

Otherwise, the movie is formulaic but with its heart in the right place. I was happy to miss the usual black clichés in this film, in favor of seeing decent kids with sense, for once. I'm happy to see that Zoe Saldana has gone on to bigger and better things, since she was the stunningly beautiful standout of the film. Orlando Jones was also excellent... what happened to that guy? Anyway, decent film for what it was, and why it remains to be sequeled in this sequel-happy universe is beyond me. Someday, maybe...

A very average movie

Author: view_and_review from California
27 April 2007

I've always had a mild to moderate fascination and admiration of marching bands; especially the marching bands of Black colleges. That and boredom got me to watch "Drumline". "Drumline" did nothing to hedge my feelings of marching bands. It did drive home a good message: preparation and hard work are more valuable than talent.

Nick Cannon played a showboating, hot-headed freshman drummer now in college where things are a little different. More is expected from you in college, such as responsibility, maturity, and all of those other characteristics associated with growing up. Devon Miles (Nick Cannon) wasn't displaying any of that. So, the movie had a cliché story of growing up, learning important life lessons, and David slaying Goliath. It didn't really move me one way or the other, the movie was very average.

Implausible and corny, but stylish.

Author: pzilliox from Heart of America
7 February 2007

What this movie delivers - namely flashy uniforms, swaggering braggadocio, BCKWAs (black college kids with attitude), and rhythmic drumming - it delivers in spades. What it lacks is a believable storyline. The movie starts out well enough, and kept my interest during the initial set-up. But it became clear by the middle of the film that every character was going to remain strictly one-dimensional, and every interpersonal relationship was, too. Every major pair of characters has a single conflict or issue to work out, and they don't interact except on that level. Characters make telegraphed choices and react in a vacuum; there is little character development or nuance to the story. The circumstances that develop and consequences that result are quite implausible. This movie takes the age-old storyline of "boy gets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl again," and adds "boy gets drum, boy loses drum, boy gets drum again" to the mix. It doesn't freshen the formula much.

Outstanding Marching Band Film

Author: whpratt1 from United States
15 August 2006

If you like College Marching Bands, the formations on the football field, all the band instruments from the Piccolo right up to the Bass Tuba, this is the film to enjoy. The film features some dudes who come from all walks of life and one dude enters this drum program with a scholarship and thinks he can do just as he darn pleases in this program. The dude is a good drummer, but he just can't seem to follow orders, because the band program is run like a Boot Camp, with Yes Sir and No Sir type of situations. There is drama, comedy and plenty of sexy wild music and very hot cheerleader chicks. This film gives you what the background is like with a drum team competing with other college bands. Enjoy.

Okay, but....

Author: soccerstar9-1 from United States
3 June 2006

I liked this movie, but I also do disagree with some of the focus. Okay, yes, the movie is called Drumline, but still, it's not like that's the whole part of a marching band. I know they kind of cover this at the beginning when all the section leaders are saying that their section is the most important, but I mean, come on? Now all the people who join marching band only want to do drum line. And then there are people who try out for guard because they think it will be like in the movie. Again, I understand that this is what the movie is about, and it's not a documentary, but it can get annoying when you ask someone why they joined guard/band and the say "because of Drumline."

Yay for band geeks! (spoilers inside)

Author: ilove2sniggle from United States
4 February 2006

I am in high school and have been in marching band (playing piccolo) and drumline (playing bass drum). From a musical standpoint, I enjoyed listening to the cadences and of course, the final performance in the movie. However, the plot was annoyingly predictable- the kid is talented and has a miserable attitude that (temporarily) holds him back. But in the end, he helps by learning to read music (a valuable skill) and writing cadences, blah, blah, blah. I also felt that the supporting actors (the other band geeks) didn't get much development, and therefore, I didn't feel like I got to know them at all. Had the protagonist had a more complex and intriguing personality, the lack of knowledge of others might not have been so bad after all. Still, since I am a band geek I must give this a 6/10 (for the rhythm) and the cheesy overdone plot.

Attack of the Band Geeks

Author: sakurasaid from United States
16 January 2006

This movie, though not exactly correct, is awesome. Finally a movie that shows marching band in its true colors.

It shows all the hard work and discipline that goes into making a fantastic field show. Blood, sweat, and tears.

The band in this film isn't really a corp style band. It's more flashy stuff. The music is relatively easy to play, and the audience has a good time watching the dances and horn flashes.

There are some flaws, however. But, you will never find a movie that is absolutely perfect. One of the obvious flaws is how long the band pauses between sets. In an actual marching band there is way more movement. On average you will stay in one spot for about eight counts. Sometimes less, sometimes more.

But, other band people can truthfully say that it is pretty accurate. A good, fun movie for everyone.

At least they tried.

Author: jjbutler from Houston, TX
17 December 2004

I'm a member of an HBCU marching band in the South and this movie was not a good example of how a real Black college marching band program is run. For instance, no crab (freshman) would ever be caught talking to any old-head (upperclassman) members the way Devin was, let alone a section leader. Nor would a dance troop captain even think about giving a crab the time of day.

A crab would be too scared to talk to anyone in the band besides their CB's and CS's (crab brothers & sisters) at least for the first 2 months or so. Any fast-talking crabs would probably get some type of hazing (be it push-ups, running, or getting their @$$....never mind).

The half time performances were not realistic and the acting was mediocre. This movie was horrible for anyone who knows anything about Black college bands in the South.

...Or maybe I'm just mad because the whole idea of the movie, along with some of the copied drum cadences came from MY BAND'S DRUM SQUAD and we weren't even in the movie. I was told that certain Southern Black bands weren't put in the movie because they would actually out-perform Atlatna A&T (a fake college band made of high school band members from numerous bands).