IMDb > "Firefly" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Firefly"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Firefly" More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 70: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

I'm a new fan of Firefly...

Author: garou-3 from Australia
18 August 2004

I have seen the first 11 episodes of this series so far, and I adore it. I found the Western feel a bit hard to get used to at first, but it very quickly became an interesting style thing and stopped being a distraction.

I love that Joss Whedon was courageous enough to do something that different. The scripts are magnificent, with that trademark wry humour that I've come to expect from him, but are also far more mature than "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer" or even "Angel".

In "Firefly", the violence actually /hurts/ - people get hit or shot and you wince in sympathy for them. That's something generally lacking on American TV shows. Likewise, the future of "Firefly" isn't a nice, shiny future where science has fixed everything but a gritty future where people use a lot of old technology because it's cheaper and easier to repair. I suppose I can see why the sci-fi buffs disapprove of that, but I like it. I think it's far more realistic, given human nature.

The thing that makes me the saddest about watching these shows is that Joss is clearly establishing some very complex character backgrounds and future plot lines, and I can't see how I can get closure on all of them before the end of the season. I hope that the film manages to relaunch the series so that I can find out what happens next!

A very good show

Author: Dany
14 May 2004

This show mixes Wild West with Sci-fi and does this very successful. The planets they visit look like being in our earth´s 19th century but have real good technology. Is that possible? Yes, it works. Although, it´s funny to see no aliens or whatsoever in a show that takes place in 500 years or so but not that annoying. In fact, i think it´s good that they didn´t make you look at hideous puppets and some very bad masks.

The dialogue is often funny and the crew very likable. Sometimes they run with double standards (The captain often) but that´s not so bad. It keeps it interesting.

Hopefully the upcoming movie "Serenity" will tie up some lose ends, such as what really happened to River and why. How powerful is she and what did the government want her for? What´s the real deal with Book? He seems to have a past with them, too.

Anyhow, it is a shame, that this show lasted so shortly and from what the ImdB listed, the broadcasting wasn´t very helpful to keep viewers. They showed the episodes in false order, showed the (important!) pilot, in which the characters were introduced somewhere in the middle, all of this happened even on Friday nights when their target audience were 20-somethings, and then wonder why the ratings were low?! `*sigh*

Unique, visionary and FUN!!

Author: MrsSpooky from Orlando, FL
27 April 2004

Fortunately (or unfortunately), I didn't get addicted to this show until after it was cancelled when I got the series on DVD.

What a unique blending of past, present and future this show was!! This has to be the most realistic (and most easily identifiable) vision of the future that has been produced so far!

The characters are complex and interesting, the casting is perfect and the soundtrack is one that sticks with you.

There is enough mystery about how this society got to where it is, as well as the mystery of the backgrounds of some of the characters that would keep a viewer interested for some time to come. I want more more MORE!

Add to this the fact that they did a magnificent job on the DVD! I have a high def tv and the widescreen rendering of the episodes looks and sounds wonderful - contrast this with the horrible job they did on Star Trek DS9 (which looks like crap on high def).

I can't wait for the movie, and hopefully more to come. You have to love these very well-acted characters. Serenity has become my home away from home, and these characters my family.

Joss Whedon, I SALUTE YOU!!! Thank you for Firefly!

Whedon redefines the sci-fi genre with richly textured show

Author: p_k_hanna
26 April 2004

Joss Whedon's Firefly was a richly-textured and complex show -- it's no wonder it was cancelled so abruptly by Fox, home of reality TV. The show from Buffy and Angel creator Whedon merits multiple viewing. It's characters are complicated fully-fleshed out human beings who are brimming with nuances. And as in life, the stories here are multi-faceted. They are full of both humour and tragedy.

This is not the world of Star Trek, where everything goes back to square one at the end of an episode. Here the characters evolve and their lives become mired in moral dilemmas. Mysteries remain unsolved and curiosity builds. And since the show was cancelled after only 14 episodes were produced, there are a lot of unanswered questions. Some of these will hopefully be addressed in Serenity, the movie currently being produced by Universal.

Great Show, But Got Cancelled Due To Low Ratings

Author: jasonwk from United States
4 February 2003

As my title says, Firefly was a great show, I loved it. But Fox cancelled the show due to low TV ratings. This is not the first time that we've seen Fox pulled the plug on their great shows. It's not much to say except that the guys who work for the FOX TV network know nothing about the TV business; they don't know how to run it, period.

Favorite Show on TV

Author: denpratt (jnkpratt@mindspring.com) from Westwood MA
9 November 2002

What a great diamond in the rough! How can no one notice this? Please Fox, don't take this off!

The characters try to do their best despite severe moral flaws and psychological damage in a universe where anarchy leads to murder without remorse and where government control comes at a too high a price. They have no technical advantages, but each week just eek by along the dark underbelly of society because of a slight advantage in cleverness and loyalty.

Creative Genius that was not taken seriously...

Author: obscuredemerald from New York
18 August 2004

The show had an awesome team to make it. It had amazing episodes that were produced in such ways that when watching it, I was amazed. I loved the dialog and it's classic Joss Whedon attributes of wit, sarcasm, and his purposeful directing. There was meaning in places where you wouldn't usually find it to be. The ship itself had several meanings, as did its various parts, and crew. The show was very pleasing to watch and its a shame that there are people out there who don't understand that although the idea of a space western is hard to conceptualize with it's oddities (for instance, the presence of guns with bullets as opposed to tasters/phasers/lasers), that this is a science fiction show. It is a fiction about another dimension; the space western aspect is only the background of the show. The story lines and morals, alongside with the wonderful acting and great dialogue, makes this a show to be watched.

I did not get to watch Firefly when it aired for the short period that it did on FOX. Still, having seen the masterpiece quality that Joss Whedon places into all his shows, I gave it a try and rented it out from Blockbuster. The first few minutes seemed a bit slow to me as it was a heavy action sequence, but afterward, everything began to fall into place and I fell in love with this show soon after. The characters were wonderful and there was so much that could be seen of them from even the first episode (not the one that Fox first aired, but the one that was initially intended by Whedon to be shown). They were so full of passions and dreams and desires and I HAD to know more of them so i would watch each disc straight and cursed whoever had rented the next disc when i found no disc behind the DVD carton at blockbuster...

after the last episode that i saw, which was "Objects in Space" (i'm not sure of the exact title) I was very sad because that came to be my most favorite episode of the season (i loved mostly all the eps)...and there was no more to be seen. Thank goodness there's a movie coming out in theater soon....still, i would have liked to watch the show as a series on television, also. It would have given me something else to look forward to each week.

Best show I've seen in years

Author: alivings from Highland Park, NJ
25 May 2004

I can't fathom what nedron's problem is with this show. Not enough explosions, perhaps? Real character development? Witty dialogue? Too much sex? A universe that doesn't conform to the cookie-cutter image of "the future"? Incidentally, he (or she) is completely wrong in claiming that "humans haven't been able to develop anything better than 20th century shotguns and four wheelers" in the Firefly universe. On the contrary, technology has advanced dramatically--but most of these advances are confined to the "core planets" at the heart of the interplanetary Alliance. Out on the "border planets," where most of the show takes place, life is much more rough-and-ready. Planets are terraformed to support human life and settlers are essentially dumped there with food and blankets to survive if they can. Analogous to the frontier in American history, these planets afford their inhabitants a similar lifestyle.

The result is a universe in which starships and horses coexist. Earth is a distant memory, a legend like Atlantis, and the interplanetary society that it's given birth to is a mix of all cultures from Earth's past. English and Mandarin are spoken nearly interchangeably (and incidentally, don't look for subtitles--that's how they cuss without offending the FCC). The cops in this show--the lawmen of the Alliance--are the bad guys, and our heroes are the robbers--petty thieves, smugglers, and a fugitive or two. The only respectable person on the ship is Inara, the Companion (an elite prostitute).

Joss Whedon has created a fascinating universe and his cast has realized it brilliantly. See this show if you can (alas, like so many truly excellent shows, it was canceled after less than one season, but the full series is available on DVD) and definitely don't miss the movie that's scheduled for release in 2005.

Oh, and by the way, I'm 31 years old, and everyone else "older than 8 or 9" with whom I've shared this show has also rated it outstanding.

Unique

Author: Katie (AddictOfLots) from usa
3 January 2004

The fact that 500 years from now, the universe(earth doesn't exsist anymore)looks like it did in the old west. The characters were some of the greatest ever devised and really make you feel a part of the crew (or at least wish you were) Severely underated.

Honestly, one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Author: heathermcdixon from United States
2 January 2004

I'll say this upfront: I never watched this when it aired. I meant to. I really did. My excuse: Friday nights. Eeeek. It's the kiss of death. Friday nights, on FOX. Tisktisk. I saw the "pilot" (The Train Job) and really enjoyed it. But was also confused by it. (as was mostly everyone else. Because FOX didn't air the pilot!!) Anyway, when it came out on DVD, I went out and got it automatically. I had faith in my HERO, Joss Whedon. ^_^ (being a fan of his other shows Buffy and Angel) I must say, the show is brilliant. Fantastically so. This was Joss having fun, and grabbing everyone along for the ride. I, and my family, watch these episodes a lot now. I was disappointed at the end. Only because of the fact that....it....ENDED! We need more Firefly. Seriously. This show had everywhere to go. The network just didn't give it a chance! I've heard that there is a Firefly movie slated for 2004. I have two words for you Joss....Rock on.