IMDb > "Firefly" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Firefly"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Firefly" More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 69: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Whedon redefines the sci-fi genre with richly textured show

Author: p_k_hanna
26 April 2004

Joss Whedon's Firefly was a richly-textured and complex show -- it's no wonder it was cancelled so abruptly by Fox, home of reality TV. The show from Buffy and Angel creator Whedon merits multiple viewing. It's characters are complicated fully-fleshed out human beings who are brimming with nuances. And as in life, the stories here are multi-faceted. They are full of both humour and tragedy.

This is not the world of Star Trek, where everything goes back to square one at the end of an episode. Here the characters evolve and their lives become mired in moral dilemmas. Mysteries remain unsolved and curiosity builds. And since the show was cancelled after only 14 episodes were produced, there are a lot of unanswered questions. Some of these will hopefully be addressed in Serenity, the movie currently being produced by Universal.

Great Show, But Got Cancelled Due To Low Ratings

Author: jasonwk from United States
4 February 2003

As my title says, Firefly was a great show, I loved it. But Fox cancelled the show due to low TV ratings. This is not the first time that we've seen Fox pulled the plug on their great shows. It's not much to say except that the guys who work for the FOX TV network know nothing about the TV business; they don't know how to run it, period.

Favorite Show on TV

Author: denpratt (jnkpratt@mindspring.com) from Westwood MA
9 November 2002

What a great diamond in the rough! How can no one notice this? Please Fox, don't take this off!

The characters try to do their best despite severe moral flaws and psychological damage in a universe where anarchy leads to murder without remorse and where government control comes at a too high a price. They have no technical advantages, but each week just eek by along the dark underbelly of society because of a slight advantage in cleverness and loyalty.

Creative Genius that was not taken seriously...

Author: obscuredemerald from New York
18 August 2004

The show had an awesome team to make it. It had amazing episodes that were produced in such ways that when watching it, I was amazed. I loved the dialog and it's classic Joss Whedon attributes of wit, sarcasm, and his purposeful directing. There was meaning in places where you wouldn't usually find it to be. The ship itself had several meanings, as did its various parts, and crew. The show was very pleasing to watch and its a shame that there are people out there who don't understand that although the idea of a space western is hard to conceptualize with it's oddities (for instance, the presence of guns with bullets as opposed to tasters/phasers/lasers), that this is a science fiction show. It is a fiction about another dimension; the space western aspect is only the background of the show. The story lines and morals, alongside with the wonderful acting and great dialogue, makes this a show to be watched.

I did not get to watch Firefly when it aired for the short period that it did on FOX. Still, having seen the masterpiece quality that Joss Whedon places into all his shows, I gave it a try and rented it out from Blockbuster. The first few minutes seemed a bit slow to me as it was a heavy action sequence, but afterward, everything began to fall into place and I fell in love with this show soon after. The characters were wonderful and there was so much that could be seen of them from even the first episode (not the one that Fox first aired, but the one that was initially intended by Whedon to be shown). They were so full of passions and dreams and desires and I HAD to know more of them so i would watch each disc straight and cursed whoever had rented the next disc when i found no disc behind the DVD carton at blockbuster...

after the last episode that i saw, which was "Objects in Space" (i'm not sure of the exact title) I was very sad because that came to be my most favorite episode of the season (i loved mostly all the eps)...and there was no more to be seen. Thank goodness there's a movie coming out in theater soon....still, i would have liked to watch the show as a series on television, also. It would have given me something else to look forward to each week.

Best show I've seen in years

Author: alivings from Highland Park, NJ
25 May 2004

I can't fathom what nedron's problem is with this show. Not enough explosions, perhaps? Real character development? Witty dialogue? Too much sex? A universe that doesn't conform to the cookie-cutter image of "the future"? Incidentally, he (or she) is completely wrong in claiming that "humans haven't been able to develop anything better than 20th century shotguns and four wheelers" in the Firefly universe. On the contrary, technology has advanced dramatically--but most of these advances are confined to the "core planets" at the heart of the interplanetary Alliance. Out on the "border planets," where most of the show takes place, life is much more rough-and-ready. Planets are terraformed to support human life and settlers are essentially dumped there with food and blankets to survive if they can. Analogous to the frontier in American history, these planets afford their inhabitants a similar lifestyle.

The result is a universe in which starships and horses coexist. Earth is a distant memory, a legend like Atlantis, and the interplanetary society that it's given birth to is a mix of all cultures from Earth's past. English and Mandarin are spoken nearly interchangeably (and incidentally, don't look for subtitles--that's how they cuss without offending the FCC). The cops in this show--the lawmen of the Alliance--are the bad guys, and our heroes are the robbers--petty thieves, smugglers, and a fugitive or two. The only respectable person on the ship is Inara, the Companion (an elite prostitute).

Joss Whedon has created a fascinating universe and his cast has realized it brilliantly. See this show if you can (alas, like so many truly excellent shows, it was canceled after less than one season, but the full series is available on DVD) and definitely don't miss the movie that's scheduled for release in 2005.

Oh, and by the way, I'm 31 years old, and everyone else "older than 8 or 9" with whom I've shared this show has also rated it outstanding.

Unique

Author: Katie (AddictOfLots) from usa
3 January 2004

The fact that 500 years from now, the universe(earth doesn't exsist anymore)looks like it did in the old west. The characters were some of the greatest ever devised and really make you feel a part of the crew (or at least wish you were) Severely underated.

Honestly, one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Author: heathermcdixon from United States
2 January 2004

I'll say this upfront: I never watched this when it aired. I meant to. I really did. My excuse: Friday nights. Eeeek. It's the kiss of death. Friday nights, on FOX. Tisktisk. I saw the "pilot" (The Train Job) and really enjoyed it. But was also confused by it. (as was mostly everyone else. Because FOX didn't air the pilot!!) Anyway, when it came out on DVD, I went out and got it automatically. I had faith in my HERO, Joss Whedon. ^_^ (being a fan of his other shows Buffy and Angel) I must say, the show is brilliant. Fantastically so. This was Joss having fun, and grabbing everyone along for the ride. I, and my family, watch these episodes a lot now. I was disappointed at the end. Only because of the fact that....it....ENDED! We need more Firefly. Seriously. This show had everywhere to go. The network just didn't give it a chance! I've heard that there is a Firefly movie slated for 2004. I have two words for you Joss....Rock on.

The Best Show EVER!

Author: Julianna J. Routhier (kevynicus@yahoo.com) from Lansing, Michigan USA
21 January 2003

I saw the previous negative post and I just had to wonder...did you ever really /watch/ the show? Firefly is a unique (and yes, I'm an anime fan, too) and well-developed show, with interesting characters and riveting plots. It has one of the most loyal and intelligent fan bases I've ever had the pleasure to be associated with. If you crave something different from those no-brainer reality shows, Firefly is the ultimate answer! There are character concepts that haven't been seen before, elaborate sets, even a unique language of slang. I couldn't disagree with those nay-sayers more. Firefly is, bar none, the BEST television program I've ever seen. It will retain a special place in my heart. Thank you Joss Whedon, thank you Tim Minear, thank you Nathan, Gina, Morena, Jewel, Alan, Adam, Summer, Ron, Sean, and everyone else who helped to bring this marvelous program to life. You keep flyin', we'll keep watchin'.

Good TV - So Rare

Author: ShadeSiren from United States
21 January 2003

It is so rare to find truly GOOD television. Joss Whedon is doing a wonderful job of helping raise the AMAZINGLY low current average quality. Firefly is EASILY the BEST TV I have ever seen.

Every character on the show has managed to make me care about them - I want to know all their secrets - I want to see what's going to happen to them next.

The setting is another rarity - a realistic future based on history - ever heard the phrase "History repeats itself"? It's true, as we all know, and Firefly has used that to give us a REAL future.

A LOT of people like to call it a rip off of some anime - and I HAVE seen this anime - and the truth is, they OBVIOUSLY are not really watching the show. The similarities that they mention are ridiculous - one person actually claims to have seen 5 episodes - and he still thinks they are bounty hunters. Sad. They aren't. They do "Crime" as Kaylee said, and some of them are being hunted by Bounty Hunters. None of them actually ARE bounty hunters.

Every show has similarities to SOMETHING that came before - but Firefly managed to take a new approach to everything. I especially admire how Inara Serra is handled - a Companion who chooses her own clients, who is not just a "prostitute" - she says she doesn't just "have sex" with people - she is truly a COMPANION. I loved it when a client threatened to make sure she never found work again - and she countered with "That's not how it works - you'll be blacklisted, no companion will ever consent to work with you again!" (paraphrased - my memory isn't perfect!)

There isn't enough I can say about how amazing this show really is - anyone who says otherwise, either didn't WANT to like it, or wasn't really watching. This is a show that wasn't given it's fair shot, wasn't promoted properly, and will live on (if not continued) in the private dvd/vhs trading circles. New fans are cropping everywhere anyone who has this show recorded can share it. I've yet to hear a single legitimate complaint that sound logical, rational, and well thought out. Not ONE yet....

Fox! Aaah-aaah! They'll can every wondrous show!

Author: Rob_Taylor
14 November 2005

Yessirree! Another day, another review, and sure as heck, another early grave for a Fox network show with tremendous promise. I think Fox, along with the SciFi Channel, are destined to go down in history as short-sighted money-grabbing Ung Jeong Jia Ching Jien Soh.

Watch the DVD people, see the episodes in the correct order and not the Fox randomly juggled order and you might find it all making a 'mite more sense.

If you watch this series and don't find it by turns, funny, painful, or just weird, then you ain't payin' proper attention. Just how come them low-lifes Fox decided it was all just a little too odd for their tastes? I guess it helps if you don't jumble the running order and don't keep changing the time-slot. You Fox boys might wanna consider that 'fore you go canning the next show you take a dislikin' to.

Anyhow, here's hoping that, with the movie release, it will bring renewed interest in the show, hopefully enough to greenlight another season.