IMDb > "Firefly" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Firefly"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Firefly" More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 65: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Star Trek Who?

Author: MancMonkeyNuts from Manchester, United Kingdom
5 April 2005

This is my first post on IMDb and after watching the Firefly DVD box set i felt compelled to make it.

Unfortunately in the UK we never had the series screened (not even out of sequence) and i bought the DVD set on a friends recommendation without seeing a single frame, the firefly bug is now spreading like wildfire to almost everyone i know!

It is an awesome show, filmed on the basis of a sc-fi western, sounds strange but how it works. The characters progress with the series and each one endears themselves to the viewer. The effects are good with some realistic touches and the humour is excellent, dry, witty and off the cuff.

I have not been a fan of any of Whedons other work so i don't think the premise is that you have to be to enjoy this show.

I thoroughly enjoyed firefly and managed to watch the entire series in 3 nights, now its over i have to get back to my life with the promise of an impending serenity movie, i cannot recommend this DVD enough!

Fox you suck and btw i can kill you with my brain!

PS. If you like a bit of fluff, all the chicks are HOT!

I'm a new fan of Firefly...

Author: garou-3 from Australia
18 August 2004

I have seen the first 11 episodes of this series so far, and I adore it. I found the Western feel a bit hard to get used to at first, but it very quickly became an interesting style thing and stopped being a distraction.

I love that Joss Whedon was courageous enough to do something that different. The scripts are magnificent, with that trademark wry humour that I've come to expect from him, but are also far more mature than "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer" or even "Angel".

In "Firefly", the violence actually /hurts/ - people get hit or shot and you wince in sympathy for them. That's something generally lacking on American TV shows. Likewise, the future of "Firefly" isn't a nice, shiny future where science has fixed everything but a gritty future where people use a lot of old technology because it's cheaper and easier to repair. I suppose I can see why the sci-fi buffs disapprove of that, but I like it. I think it's far more realistic, given human nature.

The thing that makes me the saddest about watching these shows is that Joss is clearly establishing some very complex character backgrounds and future plot lines, and I can't see how I can get closure on all of them before the end of the season. I hope that the film manages to relaunch the series so that I can find out what happens next!

A very good show

Author: Dany
14 May 2004

This show mixes Wild West with Sci-fi and does this very successful. The planets they visit look like being in our earth´s 19th century but have real good technology. Is that possible? Yes, it works. Although, it´s funny to see no aliens or whatsoever in a show that takes place in 500 years or so but not that annoying. In fact, i think it´s good that they didn´t make you look at hideous puppets and some very bad masks.

The dialogue is often funny and the crew very likable. Sometimes they run with double standards (The captain often) but that´s not so bad. It keeps it interesting.

Hopefully the upcoming movie "Serenity" will tie up some lose ends, such as what really happened to River and why. How powerful is she and what did the government want her for? What´s the real deal with Book? He seems to have a past with them, too.

Anyhow, it is a shame, that this show lasted so shortly and from what the ImdB listed, the broadcasting wasn´t very helpful to keep viewers. They showed the episodes in false order, showed the (important!) pilot, in which the characters were introduced somewhere in the middle, all of this happened even on Friday nights when their target audience were 20-somethings, and then wonder why the ratings were low?! `*sigh*

Unique, visionary and FUN!!

Author: MrsSpooky from Orlando, FL
27 April 2004

Fortunately (or unfortunately), I didn't get addicted to this show until after it was cancelled when I got the series on DVD.

What a unique blending of past, present and future this show was!! This has to be the most realistic (and most easily identifiable) vision of the future that has been produced so far!

The characters are complex and interesting, the casting is perfect and the soundtrack is one that sticks with you.

There is enough mystery about how this society got to where it is, as well as the mystery of the backgrounds of some of the characters that would keep a viewer interested for some time to come. I want more more MORE!

Add to this the fact that they did a magnificent job on the DVD! I have a high def tv and the widescreen rendering of the episodes looks and sounds wonderful - contrast this with the horrible job they did on Star Trek DS9 (which looks like crap on high def).

I can't wait for the movie, and hopefully more to come. You have to love these very well-acted characters. Serenity has become my home away from home, and these characters my family.

Joss Whedon, I SALUTE YOU!!! Thank you for Firefly!

Whedon redefines the sci-fi genre with richly textured show

Author: p_k_hanna
26 April 2004

Joss Whedon's Firefly was a richly-textured and complex show -- it's no wonder it was cancelled so abruptly by Fox, home of reality TV. The show from Buffy and Angel creator Whedon merits multiple viewing. It's characters are complicated fully-fleshed out human beings who are brimming with nuances. And as in life, the stories here are multi-faceted. They are full of both humour and tragedy.

This is not the world of Star Trek, where everything goes back to square one at the end of an episode. Here the characters evolve and their lives become mired in moral dilemmas. Mysteries remain unsolved and curiosity builds. And since the show was cancelled after only 14 episodes were produced, there are a lot of unanswered questions. Some of these will hopefully be addressed in Serenity, the movie currently being produced by Universal.

Great Show, But Got Cancelled Due To Low Ratings

Author: jasonwk from United States
4 February 2003

As my title says, Firefly was a great show, I loved it. But Fox cancelled the show due to low TV ratings. This is not the first time that we've seen Fox pulled the plug on their great shows. It's not much to say except that the guys who work for the FOX TV network know nothing about the TV business; they don't know how to run it, period.

Give it another try!

Author: Clrntplr from Kansas City, MO
19 November 2002

I will admit that after the first episode of Firefly, I was questioning the show but I had faith in Joss Whedon and he has proven me right. This is a wonderful and witty show that is creative in a world of formula shows. The network made a big mistake in not showing the original pilot and left many viewers confused as to who these characters were. The writers at Firefly rose to the challenge and worked hard to give a little back story into the characters which we sorely missed from the pilot. If you watched the first episode and did not go back, I ask you to give Firefly another try. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised that you ever allowed yourself to miss this wonderful show.

For those of you who are wondering what on Earth I am talking about, Firefly is a drama about what life with be like in 500 years after the Earth is destroyed by war and humans are forced to go out into space to survive. Many of these people are living poor existences, doing anything to survive. The crew of the ship, Serenity, do odd (and illegal) jobs to make their way through the world. Firefly follows their strange and amusing journey through the galaxy while they avoid (and sometime fly right into) perils and danger.

I eagerly await each weeks episode and know that I will be surprised by what I find. Make sure to give it a try. Unlike most new shows that you can enjoy as stand alone episodes, this one needs you to get involved and meet the characters and learn their stories. Give it the time and you will feel like you know the experiences and feelings of those on the Serenity.

Best show I've seen in years

Author: alivings from Highland Park, NJ
25 May 2004

I can't fathom what nedron's problem is with this show. Not enough explosions, perhaps? Real character development? Witty dialogue? Too much sex? A universe that doesn't conform to the cookie-cutter image of "the future"? Incidentally, he (or she) is completely wrong in claiming that "humans haven't been able to develop anything better than 20th century shotguns and four wheelers" in the Firefly universe. On the contrary, technology has advanced dramatically--but most of these advances are confined to the "core planets" at the heart of the interplanetary Alliance. Out on the "border planets," where most of the show takes place, life is much more rough-and-ready. Planets are terraformed to support human life and settlers are essentially dumped there with food and blankets to survive if they can. Analogous to the frontier in American history, these planets afford their inhabitants a similar lifestyle.

The result is a universe in which starships and horses coexist. Earth is a distant memory, a legend like Atlantis, and the interplanetary society that it's given birth to is a mix of all cultures from Earth's past. English and Mandarin are spoken nearly interchangeably (and incidentally, don't look for subtitles--that's how they cuss without offending the FCC). The cops in this show--the lawmen of the Alliance--are the bad guys, and our heroes are the robbers--petty thieves, smugglers, and a fugitive or two. The only respectable person on the ship is Inara, the Companion (an elite prostitute).

Joss Whedon has created a fascinating universe and his cast has realized it brilliantly. See this show if you can (alas, like so many truly excellent shows, it was canceled after less than one season, but the full series is available on DVD) and definitely don't miss the movie that's scheduled for release in 2005.

Oh, and by the way, I'm 31 years old, and everyone else "older than 8 or 9" with whom I've shared this show has also rated it outstanding.

Honestly, one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Author: heathermcdixon from United States
2 January 2004

I'll say this upfront: I never watched this when it aired. I meant to. I really did. My excuse: Friday nights. Eeeek. It's the kiss of death. Friday nights, on FOX. Tisktisk. I saw the "pilot" (The Train Job) and really enjoyed it. But was also confused by it. (as was mostly everyone else. Because FOX didn't air the pilot!!) Anyway, when it came out on DVD, I went out and got it automatically. I had faith in my HERO, Joss Whedon. ^_^ (being a fan of his other shows Buffy and Angel) I must say, the show is brilliant. Fantastically so. This was Joss having fun, and grabbing everyone along for the ride. I, and my family, watch these episodes a lot now. I was disappointed at the end. Only because of the fact that....it....ENDED! We need more Firefly. Seriously. This show had everywhere to go. The network just didn't give it a chance! I've heard that there is a Firefly movie slated for 2004. I have two words for you Joss....Rock on.

One of the best shows you've never seen

Author: tramsbottom from Cornwall, UK
4 April 2004

Firefly had an odd gestation. In 2002 Fox came to Buffy and Angel creator Joss Whedon with the chance to make a brand new show, yet when he delivered a smart, off-the-wall western set in space, they didn't know what to make of it. The two hour pilot episode, which set the scene by introducing the nine main characters, was dropped at the last minute and replaced by a hastily re-written third episode. Other episodes where shown out of sequence and despite the pilot finally being broadcast (last), a further three episodes never even made it on air. This sort of trouble suggested the show wasn't going to work, so audiences were left baffled when A) they discovered it was the best thing Joss Whedon had ever made and B) the network dropped it two thirds of the way through the first season.

Each of the characters are wonderfully written by Joss Whedon and brought to life by the largely unknown cast (Nathan Fillion and Gina Torres have had guest spots on Buffy and Angel respectively), pulling you into the story more than the special effects, which are also surprisingly good. The chase sequence in the the pilot episode is a stand-out, and it's no wonder it won an Emmy for Outstanding Visual Effects in a Series last year. Another interesting decision was to make the exterior space shots silent. So instead of the usual Star Trek whoosh! as the engines fire, here we have the realism of absolute silence (you need air to hear soundwaves, and space is a vacuum). Another TV first.

Firefly may go down in history in the same category as Fawlty Towers or The Prisoner - legendary shows that only lasted for a single series. The DVD boxset contains all fourteen episodes (in their proper order) but seeing as a full season usually runs to twenty-two episodes, the story is left unfinished. So take heart that Whedon is taking the show to the big screen, with the film hopefully due out in 2005. Maybe after that we may even see the series resurrected on TV. You'll have to wait a while for your answers then, but they are on the way.