IMDb > "Firefly" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Firefly" More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 69: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

The best new sci fi show in years

Author: Dani Kin (dani_kin) from Wisconsin
10 November 2002

At first you may think the premise is crazy. "There are these people... in space... but no lasers and no aliens? Why are they wearing those clothes? How come there is a hooker?"

But the more you think and watch, the more sense it makes. Set 500 years in the future, Firefly is the story of a ship (Serenity, a Firefly class vessel) and its Captain, Malcom Reynolds. Mal is a vetran of a long and nasty interplanetary civil war, and on the loosing side no less. The Alliance (the winners) are control of the galaxy, and Mal wants to be as far away from the Alliance as possible. He is a little bitter, a little emotionally shut off, and lives for his ship and crew. The characters are the strongest part of this series. The ships second in command is Zoe, who fought with Mal during the war, and she is both beautiful and deadly. Her husband Wash is the pilot, he likes toy dinosaurs and loves his wife. Also on board is a Doctor, Simon, who is hiding his sister, River, from the Alliance. Kaylee, the engineer is bubbly and adorable as she keeps Serenity together essentially with duct tape and rubber bands. Jayne is a hired gun on board, in case things get dangerous, which they often do. Book is a preacher, out to see the galexy after living in a monestary for years, and Inara is a Companion, a high class geisha/prostitute and highly respected at that. The technology is mostly controlled by the Alliance, so settlers on the newly terraformed planets need to make do with what they can get, sometimes GE protein bars, sometimes a floral bonnet.

The strength of this show is both its strong characters and its good action. But essentially this is a story about people. People surviving. People living. People loving. People fighting. People just trying to get by in a universe that isn't always nice or fair.

If your idea of good sci fi is lots of latex-y aliens and loud noisy space battles, well, then this isn't what you're looking for. But if you want to see a show about a future without the Prime Directive, where people are still flawed yet lovable, then maybe you should check out Firefly. It's the best new Sci Fi show I've seen in years.

Their love made it work

Author: PopcornLovesMovie from United States
15 January 2010

First of all, I dislike Sci-fi and Western genre and I generally try to avoid them. However, a few weeks ago I was searching for a good series and find Firefly as one of the highest rated TV series on IMDb. Also, many people has been raving about it so I wanted to know what the fuss was all about. Plus it only lasted one season so I thought, what the hell, lets see it. So I bought the DVD.

I truly regret doing so because I have been crying for the past weeks trying to understand how such a great show got canceled. I really took it personal. It was devastating reading what could have been the greatest TV series ever was taken away. Human mistakes once again rob us of our joy.

What makes Firefly works, in my opinion, is the genuine love that the actors have for each other. Sure it had a good storyline, plots, dialogs, etc, but what made it works was their joy in working with each other and it translates towards the screen. It is hard to explain but very easy to understand once you watch the show. Every actors, even the villains, were outstanding.

I am probably asking the same questions as any other Browncoats, why hasn't this series been continued? Everybody involved (creator, casts, fans) absolutely loved it. Everybody knew this is big. Well, money was a problem but if you believe that something is big, and every single person involved knew that this was something huge, it shouldn't be a barrier. So there must be another explanation why Firefly and the movie Serenity failed to reach the masses when everybody involved knew it was an exceptional show.

From what I gathered, the actors were genuinely happy to work on Firefly. Now that's no small matter. In this fast paced world, it's not easy to be truly happy in what you're doing and with who you're doing it with. Nathan Fillion have said that Firefly was the best job he ever have. The same notion was heard from the other cast members. Ron Glass said he couldn't reminisce of his Firefly days without getting emotional. Summer Glau expressed that there were such love in Firefly working environment. I have absolutely never heard such a resounding love from a single series before and believe me when I say they're not acting when they express their love for Firefly.

Firefly meant a huge deal for almost everyone involved in it. I am praying that one day, hopefully soon, this series can be continued with its original cast members.

Stay Away. Heartbreak Alert.

Author: sheriff_pony from Annweiler, Rheinland-Pfalz
22 May 2007

For me, the true mark of greatness in any work of fiction - the cream to go with the strawberries, if you will - is how intensely it manages to take my breath away. That comes after initial considerations of humour, nerve, technical accomplishment etc., but is what lifts a book, film or TV show from good to great, from great to extraordinary. To give you a little context, The Lord of the Rings (book not film) took my breath away on the last page, as I was left to contemplate the sheer immensity of the adventure together with the sense of its end. I may have outgrown that, I don't know. Then came His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman, soon to be a major motion picture not half as good as the novels, the greatest fantasy adventure slash teenage love story ever. Although there was an immense feeling of regret in reading about the unfulfilment of our young heroes' fates, and although the adventure was perhaps even larger than Tolkien's, what made it more impressive still was that the ending was tied to the beginning, to the start of another story beyond the books' continuity. Then there's The English Patient, which doesn't quite compare to the other two, concentrating on adult characters, but there is still the sense of a great story being lived by even the least of supporting players, and in the end you, the audience, feel like you have visited a place, loved it but now you have to leave it behind, knowing full well that even if you stayed it wouldn't be the same. It's that feeling of helplessness in the face of the temporality of things which I look for in art, which for me sums up why we tell stories, why we listen to them, why we travel and so forth. This is what I felt after watching Firefly, the greatest adventure that never was.

FOX cancelled it after half a season. What is up with that? People have been murdered and cannibalised for much less. I can stand being sad at a fictional character's demise, or divorce, or disembowelment, but a TV show is an actual thing, not just something you hear about in a story. They have taken our beautiful Firefly away from us. They have promised us a ride and given us a tricycle. This show was far from done, and as good a conclusion as Serenity is, this could have been something far bigger. I - The show. It's perfect. The funniest forty minute drama I have seen. The best Sci-Fi Western. Perfectly cast, written, directed. I. Ah. You can tell I'm in love. If you require an idea of what the show is about, let me try: nine people on board a spaceship. Renegades, fugitives, a preacher, a girl who speaks to machines. All basically trying to find a home in a universe which is being divided, by the fascist 'Alliance', into sharply delineated areas of mind-numbing conformity and utter chaos. But being as this is outer space and any place you can go is practically as good as another, the journey is the goal. Sure, it's not realistic and it's not anything other than entertainment, but not everything pretends to be. And you can't spell artifice without art. Am I getting too soppy? I also like dark and heavy stuff, like The Wire. But as far as light and bright stuff goes, few things equal Firefly.

Thank you. You're very kind.

Western or Sci-Fi? Both and good at it!

Author: kosmasp
10 April 2007

Nathan Fillion as Capt. Reynolds is probably one of the coolest characters to grace your TV screen ... although he wasn't there long enough for you to enjoy him. And it's a shame that the show got axed so early.

The problem the executives might have had with this TV show, is that they couldn't market it. They didn't know how to advertise the series, so it got under the radar. Not completely, because still fans watched it, but the decision not to air the pilot first was a fatal one. Even if the first episode (after the pilot movie) was a recapturing of the characters that you should've known already, it's not the same.

I bought the DVD box set, because of all the buzz it was getting from the internet. The acting is great, the dialogues are a joy to listen to, the stories that are told with the character development (yes the characters do develop, even if at times only a few inches) are superb. If you like your comedy to be well written, the dialogue witty and funny and don't mind the mixture of Sci-Fi and Western, than this show is definitely something you should watch!

Firefly is FLIPPING MAGIC!!!!!

Author: Gamegeek from United Kingdom
26 July 2006

I've never bought a TV series on DVD ever,come to think of it I've only bought 1 film(Batman Begins) on DVD,I watch a TV series on TV and watch films in the cinema or rent them.

I've just bought my first TV series on DVD and you can probably guess what it is.I watched Serenity in the cinema on holiday in America(good thing its a PG-13 because in the UK my brother couldn't see it because its a 15 rated movie in the UK) dragging along my family and after seeing it I was Serenity crazy first I bought the soundtrack then the holy Firefly The Complet Series DVD and soon I'll buy the Firefly soundtrack.

What Firefly is is a sci-fi series with a twang of western thrown in which makes it different from any other sci-fi series.What makes it brilliant is that it makes you feel for the characters,they all have their secrets and its a character driven series not some series which is all about "hey there's a bad guy over there,lets go kill the bad guy".It's very funny for a sci-fi series when most series only have a slight touch of comedy.The actors & actresses are the best I've seen in any series let alone sci-fi,they can all be serious one minute funny the next,Nathan Fillion & Summer Glau stand out the most.The graphics for 2002 are astonishing and even now they stand up very well to other series.Joss Wheldon is easily one of the best directors ever and writer.The scripts are witty,funny,well thought out,and highly engaging.How good is Firefly,to put simply(no swearing)is the best,greatest,coolest,funniest,sexiest,and most satisfying sci-fi series ever made...Star Trek my a**.

Everybody should buy Firefly and Serenity.

Does anyone understand 1 of a few things?

Author: Justin Robert from United States
19 July 2006

So I'm definitely a much newer browncoat, but what I can't understand is how does a show like this not get picked back up by a different network? I mean, as sad as it is for a show to get cancelled, it does happen. However, there have been other series that were cancelled by one network, and then picked up by another. What can't we have this too!?

One would think that with the success of the DVD Set & movie, and the now "cult" following Firefly has, that some bright young network executive, in an office somewhere... would see the potential for $$ to be made on their end, and answer so many of our wishes & prayers to renew the series! However, because there are 50,000 series programs on television, it's no surprise that as usual... the people with any money or power to do anything, are too clueless to realize they should.

Firefly is one of a kind... it's the type of show that almost anyone can find something to relate to. It's more science than fiction, and the "leap of faith" for belief isn't so big. If we terra-formed planets, they would most likely be similar to the "old west". I know it's just the show, but if you give it some serious, rational thought... it's not that unlikely. The writing & character development is superb, the set design & visual effects exceed a decent amount of feature films, and you'd be hard pressed to find ANY other series with as much strength in it's entire multi-year run, than Firefly has in it's small, but respectable 11 episodes (only 11 were aired, but 14 filmed).

At least we have the DVD set, and so far one film, to keep us enthralled with the lives & adventures of Mal, Wash, Zoe, Keely, Jayne, Inara, Shepard, The Tam siblings & Serenity herself. Although unlikely, a resurrection of this program is something almost anyone who watches one episode will think about.

Star Trek Who?

Author: MancMonkeyNuts from Manchester, United Kingdom
5 April 2005

This is my first post on IMDb and after watching the Firefly DVD box set i felt compelled to make it.

Unfortunately in the UK we never had the series screened (not even out of sequence) and i bought the DVD set on a friends recommendation without seeing a single frame, the firefly bug is now spreading like wildfire to almost everyone i know!

It is an awesome show, filmed on the basis of a sc-fi western, sounds strange but how it works. The characters progress with the series and each one endears themselves to the viewer. The effects are good with some realistic touches and the humour is excellent, dry, witty and off the cuff.

I have not been a fan of any of Whedons other work so i don't think the premise is that you have to be to enjoy this show.

I thoroughly enjoyed firefly and managed to watch the entire series in 3 nights, now its over i have to get back to my life with the promise of an impending serenity movie, i cannot recommend this DVD enough!

Fox you suck and btw i can kill you with my brain!

PS. If you like a bit of fluff, all the chicks are HOT!

I'm a new fan of Firefly...

Author: garou-3 from Australia
18 August 2004

I have seen the first 11 episodes of this series so far, and I adore it. I found the Western feel a bit hard to get used to at first, but it very quickly became an interesting style thing and stopped being a distraction.

I love that Joss Whedon was courageous enough to do something that different. The scripts are magnificent, with that trademark wry humour that I've come to expect from him, but are also far more mature than "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer" or even "Angel".

In "Firefly", the violence actually /hurts/ - people get hit or shot and you wince in sympathy for them. That's something generally lacking on American TV shows. Likewise, the future of "Firefly" isn't a nice, shiny future where science has fixed everything but a gritty future where people use a lot of old technology because it's cheaper and easier to repair. I suppose I can see why the sci-fi buffs disapprove of that, but I like it. I think it's far more realistic, given human nature.

The thing that makes me the saddest about watching these shows is that Joss is clearly establishing some very complex character backgrounds and future plot lines, and I can't see how I can get closure on all of them before the end of the season. I hope that the film manages to relaunch the series so that I can find out what happens next!

A very good show

Author: Dany
14 May 2004

This show mixes Wild West with Sci-fi and does this very successful. The planets they visit look like being in our earth´s 19th century but have real good technology. Is that possible? Yes, it works. Although, it´s funny to see no aliens or whatsoever in a show that takes place in 500 years or so but not that annoying. In fact, i think it´s good that they didn´t make you look at hideous puppets and some very bad masks.

The dialogue is often funny and the crew very likable. Sometimes they run with double standards (The captain often) but that´s not so bad. It keeps it interesting.

Hopefully the upcoming movie "Serenity" will tie up some lose ends, such as what really happened to River and why. How powerful is she and what did the government want her for? What´s the real deal with Book? He seems to have a past with them, too.

Anyhow, it is a shame, that this show lasted so shortly and from what the ImdB listed, the broadcasting wasn´t very helpful to keep viewers. They showed the episodes in false order, showed the (important!) pilot, in which the characters were introduced somewhere in the middle, all of this happened even on Friday nights when their target audience were 20-somethings, and then wonder why the ratings were low?! `*sigh*

Unique, visionary and FUN!!

Author: MrsSpooky from Orlando, FL
27 April 2004

Fortunately (or unfortunately), I didn't get addicted to this show until after it was cancelled when I got the series on DVD.

What a unique blending of past, present and future this show was!! This has to be the most realistic (and most easily identifiable) vision of the future that has been produced so far!

The characters are complex and interesting, the casting is perfect and the soundtrack is one that sticks with you.

There is enough mystery about how this society got to where it is, as well as the mystery of the backgrounds of some of the characters that would keep a viewer interested for some time to come. I want more more MORE!

Add to this the fact that they did a magnificent job on the DVD! I have a high def tv and the widescreen rendering of the episodes looks and sounds wonderful - contrast this with the horrible job they did on Star Trek DS9 (which looks like crap on high def).

I can't wait for the movie, and hopefully more to come. You have to love these very well-acted characters. Serenity has become my home away from home, and these characters my family.

Joss Whedon, I SALUTE YOU!!! Thank you for Firefly!