IMDb > "Firefly" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Firefly"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Firefly" More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 70: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Wonderful writing, and an amazing ensemble

Author: bishopolis from North America
19 December 2002

Having first read the initial user summary for this series, I must admit I wasn't expecting much, and I'll agree that the first (second) episode was rather tame. I wonder how much damage the preceding review did to an excellent show. You see, after giving it a chance (*ahem*) and seeing a few episodes, I found that the show indeed stands well on its own. This Whedon character can truly put together an ensemble cast, and have it all work. This is apparently his third successful ensemble, and that's not bad.

Does it look like some pointless comic book? I'm sure it does. Does it have elements of some other books, movies and television series? After 60 years of media, of course we'll see some overlap. This is the beginning of an excellent and catchy series, with some *real* characters - ie imperfect - with real personalities and goals, and although it's a rare idea in today's television, I'm sure Mr Whedon doesn't have the patent on believable characters.

He just does it well.

Unique, Well Written and Surprising

Author: hellcatsagogo from San Francisco
16 November 2002

Joss Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) has created an exciting entry in the Sci-Fi genre. In the future the Earth has been "all used up" and on board the space-boat Serentiy, a Firefly class vessel, the Captain Malcolm Reynolds and his crew fight for survival, they're all just simple people trying to make their way in a complicated universe.

On of the best concepts of the show is that there are no bumpy foreheaded aliens, we went to space to find out there's no one out there. A wonderful first on a Sci-Fi show. No aliens, and whacky technology to keep up with, this show harkens back to the old west, the idea of reaching out to settle new frontiers.

The cast is really refreshing, the wry wit and honor of the Captain, his loyal butt whooping first mate Zoe, her husband and the pilot Wash, the cute as a button engineer Kaylee, Book the Shepherd (A preacher with a very mysterious past), The Doc and his sister River who are now fugitives trying to escape the Alliance (The conglomerate of world powers) Jayne - a hired gun who's only loyalty seems to be himself and money, and Inara the ship's Companion (think high class hooker).

It's a great premise, but the real strength lies in clever, quick witted and sharp writing, it's honestly on par with Aaron Sorkin fare, and reminds me of the pacing from "Sports Night".

Catch it, tape it, lend it support, it needs the help, quality programming.

The best new sci fi show in years

Author: Dani Kin (dani_kin) from Wisconsin
10 November 2002

At first you may think the premise is crazy. "There are these people... in space... but no lasers and no aliens? Why are they wearing those clothes? How come there is a hooker?"

But the more you think and watch, the more sense it makes. Set 500 years in the future, Firefly is the story of a ship (Serenity, a Firefly class vessel) and its Captain, Malcom Reynolds. Mal is a vetran of a long and nasty interplanetary civil war, and on the loosing side no less. The Alliance (the winners) are control of the galaxy, and Mal wants to be as far away from the Alliance as possible. He is a little bitter, a little emotionally shut off, and lives for his ship and crew. The characters are the strongest part of this series. The ships second in command is Zoe, who fought with Mal during the war, and she is both beautiful and deadly. Her husband Wash is the pilot, he likes toy dinosaurs and loves his wife. Also on board is a Doctor, Simon, who is hiding his sister, River, from the Alliance. Kaylee, the engineer is bubbly and adorable as she keeps Serenity together essentially with duct tape and rubber bands. Jayne is a hired gun on board, in case things get dangerous, which they often do. Book is a preacher, out to see the galexy after living in a monestary for years, and Inara is a Companion, a high class geisha/prostitute and highly respected at that. The technology is mostly controlled by the Alliance, so settlers on the newly terraformed planets need to make do with what they can get, sometimes GE protein bars, sometimes a floral bonnet.

The strength of this show is both its strong characters and its good action. But essentially this is a story about people. People surviving. People living. People loving. People fighting. People just trying to get by in a universe that isn't always nice or fair.

If your idea of good sci fi is lots of latex-y aliens and loud noisy space battles, well, then this isn't what you're looking for. But if you want to see a show about a future without the Prime Directive, where people are still flawed yet lovable, then maybe you should check out Firefly. It's the best new Sci Fi show I've seen in years.

Their love made it work

Author: PopcornLovesMovie from United States
15 January 2010

First of all, I dislike Sci-fi and Western genre and I generally try to avoid them. However, a few weeks ago I was searching for a good series and find Firefly as one of the highest rated TV series on IMDb. Also, many people has been raving about it so I wanted to know what the fuss was all about. Plus it only lasted one season so I thought, what the hell, lets see it. So I bought the DVD.

I truly regret doing so because I have been crying for the past weeks trying to understand how such a great show got canceled. I really took it personal. It was devastating reading what could have been the greatest TV series ever was taken away. Human mistakes once again rob us of our joy.

What makes Firefly works, in my opinion, is the genuine love that the actors have for each other. Sure it had a good storyline, plots, dialogs, etc, but what made it works was their joy in working with each other and it translates towards the screen. It is hard to explain but very easy to understand once you watch the show. Every actors, even the villains, were outstanding.

I am probably asking the same questions as any other Browncoats, why hasn't this series been continued? Everybody involved (creator, casts, fans) absolutely loved it. Everybody knew this is big. Well, money was a problem but if you believe that something is big, and every single person involved knew that this was something huge, it shouldn't be a barrier. So there must be another explanation why Firefly and the movie Serenity failed to reach the masses when everybody involved knew it was an exceptional show.

From what I gathered, the actors were genuinely happy to work on Firefly. Now that's no small matter. In this fast paced world, it's not easy to be truly happy in what you're doing and with who you're doing it with. Nathan Fillion have said that Firefly was the best job he ever have. The same notion was heard from the other cast members. Ron Glass said he couldn't reminisce of his Firefly days without getting emotional. Summer Glau expressed that there were such love in Firefly working environment. I have absolutely never heard such a resounding love from a single series before and believe me when I say they're not acting when they express their love for Firefly.

Firefly meant a huge deal for almost everyone involved in it. I am praying that one day, hopefully soon, this series can be continued with its original cast members.

Stay Away. Heartbreak Alert.

Author: sheriff_pony from Annweiler, Rheinland-Pfalz
22 May 2007

For me, the true mark of greatness in any work of fiction - the cream to go with the strawberries, if you will - is how intensely it manages to take my breath away. That comes after initial considerations of humour, nerve, technical accomplishment etc., but is what lifts a book, film or TV show from good to great, from great to extraordinary. To give you a little context, The Lord of the Rings (book not film) took my breath away on the last page, as I was left to contemplate the sheer immensity of the adventure together with the sense of its end. I may have outgrown that, I don't know. Then came His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman, soon to be a major motion picture not half as good as the novels, the greatest fantasy adventure slash teenage love story ever. Although there was an immense feeling of regret in reading about the unfulfilment of our young heroes' fates, and although the adventure was perhaps even larger than Tolkien's, what made it more impressive still was that the ending was tied to the beginning, to the start of another story beyond the books' continuity. Then there's The English Patient, which doesn't quite compare to the other two, concentrating on adult characters, but there is still the sense of a great story being lived by even the least of supporting players, and in the end you, the audience, feel like you have visited a place, loved it but now you have to leave it behind, knowing full well that even if you stayed it wouldn't be the same. It's that feeling of helplessness in the face of the temporality of things which I look for in art, which for me sums up why we tell stories, why we listen to them, why we travel and so forth. This is what I felt after watching Firefly, the greatest adventure that never was.

FOX cancelled it after half a season. What is up with that? People have been murdered and cannibalised for much less. I can stand being sad at a fictional character's demise, or divorce, or disembowelment, but a TV show is an actual thing, not just something you hear about in a story. They have taken our beautiful Firefly away from us. They have promised us a ride and given us a tricycle. This show was far from done, and as good a conclusion as Serenity is, this could have been something far bigger. I - The show. It's perfect. The funniest forty minute drama I have seen. The best Sci-Fi Western. Perfectly cast, written, directed. I. Ah. You can tell I'm in love. If you require an idea of what the show is about, let me try: nine people on board a spaceship. Renegades, fugitives, a preacher, a girl who speaks to machines. All basically trying to find a home in a universe which is being divided, by the fascist 'Alliance', into sharply delineated areas of mind-numbing conformity and utter chaos. But being as this is outer space and any place you can go is practically as good as another, the journey is the goal. Sure, it's not realistic and it's not anything other than entertainment, but not everything pretends to be. And you can't spell artifice without art. Am I getting too soppy? I also like dark and heavy stuff, like The Wire. But as far as light and bright stuff goes, few things equal Firefly.

Thank you. You're very kind.

Western or Sci-Fi? Both and good at it!

Author: kosmasp
10 April 2007

Nathan Fillion as Capt. Reynolds is probably one of the coolest characters to grace your TV screen ... although he wasn't there long enough for you to enjoy him. And it's a shame that the show got axed so early.

The problem the executives might have had with this TV show, is that they couldn't market it. They didn't know how to advertise the series, so it got under the radar. Not completely, because still fans watched it, but the decision not to air the pilot first was a fatal one. Even if the first episode (after the pilot movie) was a recapturing of the characters that you should've known already, it's not the same.

I bought the DVD box set, because of all the buzz it was getting from the internet. The acting is great, the dialogues are a joy to listen to, the stories that are told with the character development (yes the characters do develop, even if at times only a few inches) are superb. If you like your comedy to be well written, the dialogue witty and funny and don't mind the mixture of Sci-Fi and Western, than this show is definitely something you should watch!

Firefly is FLIPPING MAGIC!!!!!

Author: Gamegeek from United Kingdom
26 July 2006

I've never bought a TV series on DVD ever,come to think of it I've only bought 1 film(Batman Begins) on DVD,I watch a TV series on TV and watch films in the cinema or rent them.

I've just bought my first TV series on DVD and you can probably guess what it is.I watched Serenity in the cinema on holiday in America(good thing its a PG-13 because in the UK my brother couldn't see it because its a 15 rated movie in the UK) dragging along my family and after seeing it I was Serenity crazy first I bought the soundtrack then the holy Firefly The Complet Series DVD and soon I'll buy the Firefly soundtrack.

What Firefly is is a sci-fi series with a twang of western thrown in which makes it different from any other sci-fi series.What makes it brilliant is that it makes you feel for the characters,they all have their secrets and its a character driven series not some series which is all about "hey there's a bad guy over there,lets go kill the bad guy".It's very funny for a sci-fi series when most series only have a slight touch of comedy.The actors & actresses are the best I've seen in any series let alone sci-fi,they can all be serious one minute funny the next,Nathan Fillion & Summer Glau stand out the most.The graphics for 2002 are astonishing and even now they stand up very well to other series.Joss Wheldon is easily one of the best directors ever and writer.The scripts are witty,funny,well thought out,and highly engaging.How good is Firefly,to put simply(no swearing)is the best,greatest,coolest,funniest,sexiest,and most satisfying sci-fi series ever made...Star Trek my a**.

Everybody should buy Firefly and Serenity.

Does anyone understand 1 of a few things?

Author: Justin Robert from United States
19 July 2006

So I'm definitely a much newer browncoat, but what I can't understand is how does a show like this not get picked back up by a different network? I mean, as sad as it is for a show to get cancelled, it does happen. However, there have been other series that were cancelled by one network, and then picked up by another. What can't we have this too!?

One would think that with the success of the DVD Set & movie, and the now "cult" following Firefly has, that some bright young network executive, in an office somewhere... would see the potential for $$ to be made on their end, and answer so many of our wishes & prayers to renew the series! However, because there are 50,000 series programs on television, it's no surprise that as usual... the people with any money or power to do anything, are too clueless to realize they should.

Firefly is one of a kind... it's the type of show that almost anyone can find something to relate to. It's more science than fiction, and the "leap of faith" for belief isn't so big. If we terra-formed planets, they would most likely be similar to the "old west". I know it's just the show, but if you give it some serious, rational thought... it's not that unlikely. The writing & character development is superb, the set design & visual effects exceed a decent amount of feature films, and you'd be hard pressed to find ANY other series with as much strength in it's entire multi-year run, than Firefly has in it's small, but respectable 11 episodes (only 11 were aired, but 14 filmed).

At least we have the DVD set, and so far one film, to keep us enthralled with the lives & adventures of Mal, Wash, Zoe, Keely, Jayne, Inara, Shepard, The Tam siblings & Serenity herself. Although unlikely, a resurrection of this program is something almost anyone who watches one episode will think about.

Star Trek Who?

Author: MancMonkeyNuts from Manchester, United Kingdom
5 April 2005

This is my first post on IMDb and after watching the Firefly DVD box set i felt compelled to make it.

Unfortunately in the UK we never had the series screened (not even out of sequence) and i bought the DVD set on a friends recommendation without seeing a single frame, the firefly bug is now spreading like wildfire to almost everyone i know!

It is an awesome show, filmed on the basis of a sc-fi western, sounds strange but how it works. The characters progress with the series and each one endears themselves to the viewer. The effects are good with some realistic touches and the humour is excellent, dry, witty and off the cuff.

I have not been a fan of any of Whedons other work so i don't think the premise is that you have to be to enjoy this show.

I thoroughly enjoyed firefly and managed to watch the entire series in 3 nights, now its over i have to get back to my life with the promise of an impending serenity movie, i cannot recommend this DVD enough!

Fox you suck and btw i can kill you with my brain!

PS. If you like a bit of fluff, all the chicks are HOT!

Masterpiece cut down

Author: David from Kingswood, Australia
29 January 2005

All I knew about 'Firefly' when I started watching my friend's DVDs was that it was a Space Western, and the brainchild of Joss Whedon. The former had me worried, as I have never been a fan of westerns. The latter gave me hope, as I have a great deal of respect for Joss.

It did take me a little while to accept the very literal extreme to which the 'Space Western' theme is taken, particularly when they were riding around on horses with old-fashioned 6-shooters. But in later episodes where we visit some Alliance worlds, I finally understood how the show is mainly set on the frontier of space where there is minimal infrastructure and not a lot of high-tech gadgetry to throw around.

But the setting is incidental to the characters, and the characters of Firefly are, IMO, Joss's greatest creations. Mal is an enjoyable cross between Mad Max and Han Solo, with a wicked sense of humour, and his relationship with Inara is priceless. Every character has a vital and unique role to play in the show, creating one of the strongest 'ensemble' casts I have ever seen.

Then there are the visuals. The digital effects are masterfully executed, and it is often impossible to tell where reality ends and fantasy begins. The sets are gorgeous with a stunning attention to detail. The costumes are simply jaw-dropping.

It pains me to ponder where this series might have gone if Fox had at least let it run to the end of its first season. It is a tragedy to see such a masterpiece cut down in its prime.