IMDb > "Firefly" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Firefly"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Firefly" More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 66: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Firefly is FLIPPING MAGIC!!!!!

Author: Gamegeek from United Kingdom
26 July 2006

I've never bought a TV series on DVD ever,come to think of it I've only bought 1 film(Batman Begins) on DVD,I watch a TV series on TV and watch films in the cinema or rent them.

I've just bought my first TV series on DVD and you can probably guess what it is.I watched Serenity in the cinema on holiday in America(good thing its a PG-13 because in the UK my brother couldn't see it because its a 15 rated movie in the UK) dragging along my family and after seeing it I was Serenity crazy first I bought the soundtrack then the holy Firefly The Complet Series DVD and soon I'll buy the Firefly soundtrack.

What Firefly is is a sci-fi series with a twang of western thrown in which makes it different from any other sci-fi series.What makes it brilliant is that it makes you feel for the characters,they all have their secrets and its a character driven series not some series which is all about "hey there's a bad guy over there,lets go kill the bad guy".It's very funny for a sci-fi series when most series only have a slight touch of comedy.The actors & actresses are the best I've seen in any series let alone sci-fi,they can all be serious one minute funny the next,Nathan Fillion & Summer Glau stand out the most.The graphics for 2002 are astonishing and even now they stand up very well to other series.Joss Wheldon is easily one of the best directors ever and writer.The scripts are witty,funny,well thought out,and highly engaging.How good is Firefly,to put simply(no swearing)is the best,greatest,coolest,funniest,sexiest,and most satisfying sci-fi series ever made...Star Trek my a**.

Everybody should buy Firefly and Serenity.

Does anyone understand 1 of a few things?

Author: Justin Robert from United States
19 July 2006

So I'm definitely a much newer browncoat, but what I can't understand is how does a show like this not get picked back up by a different network? I mean, as sad as it is for a show to get cancelled, it does happen. However, there have been other series that were cancelled by one network, and then picked up by another. What can't we have this too!?

One would think that with the success of the DVD Set & movie, and the now "cult" following Firefly has, that some bright young network executive, in an office somewhere... would see the potential for $$ to be made on their end, and answer so many of our wishes & prayers to renew the series! However, because there are 50,000 series programs on television, it's no surprise that as usual... the people with any money or power to do anything, are too clueless to realize they should.

Firefly is one of a kind... it's the type of show that almost anyone can find something to relate to. It's more science than fiction, and the "leap of faith" for belief isn't so big. If we terra-formed planets, they would most likely be similar to the "old west". I know it's just the show, but if you give it some serious, rational thought... it's not that unlikely. The writing & character development is superb, the set design & visual effects exceed a decent amount of feature films, and you'd be hard pressed to find ANY other series with as much strength in it's entire multi-year run, than Firefly has in it's small, but respectable 11 episodes (only 11 were aired, but 14 filmed).

At least we have the DVD set, and so far one film, to keep us enthralled with the lives & adventures of Mal, Wash, Zoe, Keely, Jayne, Inara, Shepard, The Tam siblings & Serenity herself. Although unlikely, a resurrection of this program is something almost anyone who watches one episode will think about.

Star Trek Who?

Author: MancMonkeyNuts from Manchester, United Kingdom
5 April 2005

This is my first post on IMDb and after watching the Firefly DVD box set i felt compelled to make it.

Unfortunately in the UK we never had the series screened (not even out of sequence) and i bought the DVD set on a friends recommendation without seeing a single frame, the firefly bug is now spreading like wildfire to almost everyone i know!

It is an awesome show, filmed on the basis of a sc-fi western, sounds strange but how it works. The characters progress with the series and each one endears themselves to the viewer. The effects are good with some realistic touches and the humour is excellent, dry, witty and off the cuff.

I have not been a fan of any of Whedons other work so i don't think the premise is that you have to be to enjoy this show.

I thoroughly enjoyed firefly and managed to watch the entire series in 3 nights, now its over i have to get back to my life with the promise of an impending serenity movie, i cannot recommend this DVD enough!

Fox you suck and btw i can kill you with my brain!

PS. If you like a bit of fluff, all the chicks are HOT!

I'm a new fan of Firefly...

Author: garou-3 from Australia
18 August 2004

I have seen the first 11 episodes of this series so far, and I adore it. I found the Western feel a bit hard to get used to at first, but it very quickly became an interesting style thing and stopped being a distraction.

I love that Joss Whedon was courageous enough to do something that different. The scripts are magnificent, with that trademark wry humour that I've come to expect from him, but are also far more mature than "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer" or even "Angel".

In "Firefly", the violence actually /hurts/ - people get hit or shot and you wince in sympathy for them. That's something generally lacking on American TV shows. Likewise, the future of "Firefly" isn't a nice, shiny future where science has fixed everything but a gritty future where people use a lot of old technology because it's cheaper and easier to repair. I suppose I can see why the sci-fi buffs disapprove of that, but I like it. I think it's far more realistic, given human nature.

The thing that makes me the saddest about watching these shows is that Joss is clearly establishing some very complex character backgrounds and future plot lines, and I can't see how I can get closure on all of them before the end of the season. I hope that the film manages to relaunch the series so that I can find out what happens next!

A very good show

Author: Dany
14 May 2004

This show mixes Wild West with Sci-fi and does this very successful. The planets they visit look like being in our earth´s 19th century but have real good technology. Is that possible? Yes, it works. Although, it´s funny to see no aliens or whatsoever in a show that takes place in 500 years or so but not that annoying. In fact, i think it´s good that they didn´t make you look at hideous puppets and some very bad masks.

The dialogue is often funny and the crew very likable. Sometimes they run with double standards (The captain often) but that´s not so bad. It keeps it interesting.

Hopefully the upcoming movie "Serenity" will tie up some lose ends, such as what really happened to River and why. How powerful is she and what did the government want her for? What´s the real deal with Book? He seems to have a past with them, too.

Anyhow, it is a shame, that this show lasted so shortly and from what the ImdB listed, the broadcasting wasn´t very helpful to keep viewers. They showed the episodes in false order, showed the (important!) pilot, in which the characters were introduced somewhere in the middle, all of this happened even on Friday nights when their target audience were 20-somethings, and then wonder why the ratings were low?! `*sigh*

Unique, visionary and FUN!!

Author: MrsSpooky from Orlando, FL
27 April 2004

Fortunately (or unfortunately), I didn't get addicted to this show until after it was cancelled when I got the series on DVD.

What a unique blending of past, present and future this show was!! This has to be the most realistic (and most easily identifiable) vision of the future that has been produced so far!

The characters are complex and interesting, the casting is perfect and the soundtrack is one that sticks with you.

There is enough mystery about how this society got to where it is, as well as the mystery of the backgrounds of some of the characters that would keep a viewer interested for some time to come. I want more more MORE!

Add to this the fact that they did a magnificent job on the DVD! I have a high def tv and the widescreen rendering of the episodes looks and sounds wonderful - contrast this with the horrible job they did on Star Trek DS9 (which looks like crap on high def).

I can't wait for the movie, and hopefully more to come. You have to love these very well-acted characters. Serenity has become my home away from home, and these characters my family.

Joss Whedon, I SALUTE YOU!!! Thank you for Firefly!

Whedon redefines the sci-fi genre with richly textured show

Author: p_k_hanna
26 April 2004

Joss Whedon's Firefly was a richly-textured and complex show -- it's no wonder it was cancelled so abruptly by Fox, home of reality TV. The show from Buffy and Angel creator Whedon merits multiple viewing. It's characters are complicated fully-fleshed out human beings who are brimming with nuances. And as in life, the stories here are multi-faceted. They are full of both humour and tragedy.

This is not the world of Star Trek, where everything goes back to square one at the end of an episode. Here the characters evolve and their lives become mired in moral dilemmas. Mysteries remain unsolved and curiosity builds. And since the show was cancelled after only 14 episodes were produced, there are a lot of unanswered questions. Some of these will hopefully be addressed in Serenity, the movie currently being produced by Universal.

Great Show, But Got Cancelled Due To Low Ratings

Author: jasonwk from United States
4 February 2003

As my title says, Firefly was a great show, I loved it. But Fox cancelled the show due to low TV ratings. This is not the first time that we've seen Fox pulled the plug on their great shows. It's not much to say except that the guys who work for the FOX TV network know nothing about the TV business; they don't know how to run it, period.

Give it another try!

Author: Clrntplr from Kansas City, MO
19 November 2002

I will admit that after the first episode of Firefly, I was questioning the show but I had faith in Joss Whedon and he has proven me right. This is a wonderful and witty show that is creative in a world of formula shows. The network made a big mistake in not showing the original pilot and left many viewers confused as to who these characters were. The writers at Firefly rose to the challenge and worked hard to give a little back story into the characters which we sorely missed from the pilot. If you watched the first episode and did not go back, I ask you to give Firefly another try. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised that you ever allowed yourself to miss this wonderful show.

For those of you who are wondering what on Earth I am talking about, Firefly is a drama about what life with be like in 500 years after the Earth is destroyed by war and humans are forced to go out into space to survive. Many of these people are living poor existences, doing anything to survive. The crew of the ship, Serenity, do odd (and illegal) jobs to make their way through the world. Firefly follows their strange and amusing journey through the galaxy while they avoid (and sometime fly right into) perils and danger.

I eagerly await each weeks episode and know that I will be surprised by what I find. Make sure to give it a try. Unlike most new shows that you can enjoy as stand alone episodes, this one needs you to get involved and meet the characters and learn their stories. Give it the time and you will feel like you know the experiences and feelings of those on the Serenity.

Favorite Show on TV

Author: denpratt (jnkpratt@mindspring.com) from Westwood MA
9 November 2002

What a great diamond in the rough! How can no one notice this? Please Fox, don't take this off!

The characters try to do their best despite severe moral flaws and psychological damage in a universe where anarchy leads to murder without remorse and where government control comes at a too high a price. They have no technical advantages, but each week just eek by along the dark underbelly of society because of a slight advantage in cleverness and loyalty.