IMDb > "Firefly" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Firefly"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Firefly" More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 65: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Better than you'd think

Author: monkeysvsrobotsdotcom from NorCal, CA
25 October 2002

Never mind what the other user said, as it sounds like he/she only watched a single episode... Like any show it has its ups and downs, but it is also a new show and is still finding its legs (as of this writing it's only about 5 episodes in!). Most SciFi doesn't really start getting somewhere until a few seasons in (look at any Star Trek series for an example). It has style and a little wit. The characters are likeable and not entirely clichéd (in other words, an ugly cripple isn't always the bad guy). I was a little skeptical of the story (Space Cowboys?) but it works. It's a SciFi show even my girlfriend likes. Give it a try, you might find you'll like it.

Sci-fi done right (for a change)

Author: uriel222 from Toronto, Canada
24 October 2002

This show seems to suffer from negative reviews and bad ratings. The main complaint of both the cult followers and main-stream media is the Western (Old West) elements. The reviewers point out that wagons, horses and six-shooters have no place in the future. While this is debatable, it overshadows the brilliant writing, deep characters, subtle special effects and overall tight production values. This show is probably not long for this world, but of all the shows I've seen cancelled over the years, this hurts the most. If you can accept the Old West style as a metaphor, this is quite easily the best sci-fi tv series to be made in recent years, and a definite contender for one of the best sci-fi's of all time.

Goodbye Firefly, we hardly knew ye.

You can't go wrong with Joss Whedon

Author: actress4888 from USA
21 September 2002

Joss Whedon is a television god. He created two of the best shows on TV ("Buffy the Vampire Slayer", "Angel") and now "Firefly." It's a show about a very diverse group, ranging from a preacher to a "Companion", Han Solo-ing it through space by stealing and delivering illegal items. The pilot was clever and witty ("Sir, I think you have a problem with your brain missing"), with an interesting space galaxy that will no doubt, evolve as richly as the demonic universe of "Buffy and "Angel". However, expect more shoot-'em-ups then vampire aliens attacking. This is a show for both John Wayne AND "Buffy" fans. For the pilot alone, I give it a 9 out of 10.

A short, bright flash and a wonderful 'verse is gone

Author: anthony-burton from Leamington Spa, UK
27 October 2008

Considering its short run, Firefly manages to create a rich and textured universe for its nomadic cast with consummate ease and makes its cancellation all the more baffling. If you turned on half way through an episode you could be forgiven for thinking you were watching a western, until the cowboys riding horseback are passed by a hovering train. Or coral shootouts with bolt action rifles pitted against lasers which only the rich can afford.

As fabulous as Firefly's backdrop remains, it's not the secret of its success, nor is it the content of the episodes either, but the remarkable characters within them. The crew and passengers aboard Serenity arrived there for many different reasons; loyalty, escape, money or freedom to name a few. But they fit together like nine pieces of a jig-saw where the whole is infinitely better than you imagined when viewing the individual pieces. And as the series continues, you appreciate just how well it all fits together.

There are many things to love about Firefly though. Great sets - Serenity in particular is exactly as you'd imagine an ageing transport ship would look, functional yet at the same time beautiful - balletic space scenes, laugh out loud humour, the whole cast shines and their natural chemistry is obvious for all to see. Lets not forget the aesthetic pleasure of simply watching the women, because you won't find a more beautiful bunch in any TV show i can recollect... Ever.

Firefly isn't without it's shortcoming though. Sometimes the low budget shows, sometimes the episodes seem formulaic and predictable and sometimes it's a bit too cheesy for it's own good, but you simply won't care. You'll just keep watching until the end. Then you'll go and buy the film Serenity, then you'll wonder why they didn't make more of this fantastic show. And you'll yearn for more.

Big mistake of being canceled. Great series!

Author: josh zito from United States
20 October 2008

After watching the series, I was deeply depressed that they had canceled it. The cast played their parts, the plots contained new twists, and the storyline was outstanding! I went and watched the movie and felt the same. The pilot showed the best sci-fi action you could never expect from a series and if I could put it in words its a "Sci-Fi masterpiece!" The main thing which you will love about the series are how each episode puts a interesting twist on the bad circumstances and threats they have to go through. If you haven't watched it yet but are looking forward to, I simply tell you it's "A must watch series" I give it 9 out of 10. I would give it a 10 if they hadn't canceled it.

Momentary glimpse of wit

Author: sevenevenstar from United States
9 February 2007

I am not a TV watcher. With the rare exception of previous seasons of Grey's Anatomy and the occasional guilty pleasure of Lost, I find TV by and large mind-numbing. It baffles me that anyone would devote any time at all to flipping channels, much less schedule LIFE around the air time of a television show. This is the way it's always been for me... and apparently will always be. The premature cancellation of this absolutely BRILLIANT show pretty much cements it -- the idiocy of TV execs and the undeniable truth that the collective IQ of TV-watching public is roughly equivalent to a bit of naval fuzz. I discovered Firefly in its DVD box set iteration, long after its on air demise, and despite some severe skepticism (Cowboy pirates in SPACE? Are you kidding me??) I was instantly in love, even with the cheesy theme song. It's akin to how the smell of pine and cinnamon instantly transports me to childhood Christmases; that twangy intro just makes me feel all squishy inside. LOVE the characters, LOVE the dialogue, LOVE the loyalty and the integrity and the bizarre twisted justice of it all. Love the contrasts and the nuances, the stubborn hope, the recalcitrant nobility. LOVE LOVE LOVE Mal. I am become a Firefly dealer, and I peddle my highly addictive wares to anyone looking for a little high in a terribly low world.

Excellent Series

Author: sweetsanity from United States
28 December 2006

Okay. I LOVE this series. I MISS this series.

To tell you how absolutely wonderful this show was, I have to tell you a couple of things about myself:

1) I don't like westerns.

2) I don't like sci-fi.

This is how good Firefly was. It made a western/sci-fi hater into a convert. Also, I am the mother of a 2 year old and I have learned some excellent alternatives to the curse words that I am now forced to omit from my vocabulary!

The FOX execs have no sense and I would be honored to kill them with my brain.

Excellent TV series that I missed when it first came out.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
13 February 2006

So, that's why old TV series' are being turned out on DVD! I wasn't even aware of the TV series 'Firefly' when it was shown in 2002. I don't know if it was because I didn't get the network on my cable, or if I wasn't attracted by the title (see last comments, below). But my good friend Ken is a fan, and he loaned me his DVD set of the TV series.

Very roughly, set about 500 years in the future. We have exhausted the natural resources of the Earth, and are forced to find another 'solar' system. With terra-farming we are able, over a period of years, to convert many of the planets and moons into habitats for humans. The USA and China have continued to rise to become intergalactic super powers and the two spoken languages in use are Chinese and English.

The captain and crew of the 'Serenity' have become space scavengers, which is illegal, but they have to survive. To supplement their income, and to keep fresh story lines coming, they take on unusual passengers who often get them into new and interesting situations. Good TV series!!

(Maybe it is just me, but I have missed more than one TV series because of an uninspiring title. Two glaring examples are 'Taxi' and 'Northern Exposure.' I clearly remember when they were in first run, and never watching them because the titles did not attract me. And, later I became big fans of both during re-runs, and now DVDs.)

Firefly is a series of substance and humor.

Author: wintersm from United States
11 March 2005

This series wasn't given a full run on Fox, and after I watched the last episode all I wanted was more.

Smart humor, characters I can relate to, and riveting plot. There isn't one throw-away episode in the lot. I was worried about the sci-fi bit alienating me, but it was just background to the wonderful stories. It is a rare thing for a director of science fiction to give good stories without glorying in the science fiction they create. The

The western aspects of firefly also just add amazing color, shading, and depth to the characters, story, and world.

I am very disappointed that there isn't a season 2, and I'm hoping that the movie coming out in Sept. will satisfy my craving.

We're I not married, I would take you in a manly fashion.

Author: xadrian from Austin, TX
2 February 2005

Growing with Battlestar Galactica and reruns of the original Star Trek series and the Transformers cartoon and Star Trek: TNG and Robotech and a host of others, I came to cull an acute understanding of what makes good science fiction. Reading Asimov and Clarke and Heinlein and Brooks and Fiest cemented what it meant to tell good stories. Creating comics and immersing myself into the comic book culture let me see what a well done mix of media can do to elicit emotional response.

Taking all this into account, I'm a snob when it comes to science fiction. It has to be believable, well written, well staged, well crafted and fun. Let's face it, you're creating a whole reality that doesn't exist. But good science fiction takes what we know to be true already and shoots it forward anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 millennia. It has to have enough realism to feel authentic, but just enough fantasy to make us want to know more and be excited to find out.

Joss Whedon (who also created Buffy, Angel and writes comic books, currently Astonishing X-Men, one of the best books out now) created a series with all these aspects. Firefly was a perfect blend of what if and what now. It was rich and quirky and distinct in a way few shows now are. There was none of the sterility you find in the myriad Trek spin-offs or the camp or nigh unbelievable hijinks evident in Andromeda or Stargate: SG1. And the reason? Whedon gets it. He gets that people want drama AND comedy AND suspense AND action AND a well written script AND cool effects. He gets it in the way Henson got it with Dark Crystal or Besson got it with The Fifth Element. Firefly isn't just a soap opera in space. It's not just a large budget of rubber foreheads and plastic laser guns. It's not a fashion experiment with skin tight alienware. It's as close to a non-fiction fictional show as I can think, and that makes it powerful.

Firefly is the trials and tribulations of the crew of the Firefly class light space freighter Serenity. Her crew is a mish-mash of people with different backgrounds and beliefs. There's the distant, dangerous but scruffy and lovable captain; his solid and sexy 2nd in command; the cowardly, hysterical and talented pilot; the slow witted but skillfully hazardous gun slinging mercenary; the corn-fed, adorable mechanical genius; the sexy but reserved Companion; the mysterious holy man; the ostracized doctor and his powerful yet unstable sister. They fly from planet to planet looking for work in a galaxy that's still reeling from a bloody war in which the good guys lost and the juggernaut government war machine now rules.

But it's not as typical as that. Even with the breadth of characters in the show, it's not just the well acted roles that win you over. It's the swearing in Chinese because the last two Earth superpowers were America and China. It's the horses and train heists and saloons. It's the mudders and the farm folk and the sheriffs. It's the manner of speech, the idiosyncratic wardrobe (see Hawaiian Shirts and geisha robes). It's the fact that they treat space like space. There are no laser blasts noises or loud explosions. People must wear space suits and atmosphere is a real barrier.

It's all these things. Whedon got it. The fans got it.

Fox didn't.

Fox let this thing go to the crapper and we're now stuck with Who's Your Daddy? Just like Sci-Fi let Farscape go, this bright jewel was doomed from day one because the fat cats in the ivory towers felt it wasn't exciting enough for the slope-browed American public. There was no chance of seeing uncomfortable situations propagated by scriptless half wits and beautiful non-actors. So the show was left to die.

Fortunately the DVD set was able to recapture as much of the glory as possible, with the addition of 3 episodes that never aired. Forget the extras, forget the technical specs, get this set because of the show. The show itself is worth it. The cast, the writers, the directors, the crew, they are all worth your time.

There will be a movie in Sept, Serenity, and if you have any love for sci-fi, and any respect for yourself as a fan of entertainment, you will see that film and you will buy this set.