IMDb > "Firefly" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Firefly"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Firefly" More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 68: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Great sci-fi

Author: Pnai from North Fork, Ca
19 October 2002

This show has all the promise of Farscape. It gives a great feel to the space western niche. It doesn't rely on major Fx ,but on the story and character development. It has wit and enough sci-fi flavor to keep the viewer engrossed in it's unusual stories (the story line with Jane as a hero comes to mind). Very good program, I hope it lasts.

Awesome

Author: BadgleyMishkafan
18 October 2002

I think that it is a great show and really really good characters and story plot. I think it will make a really great show and I hope that it stays on a while. I think it has great potential and had a great starting show.

You can't go wrong with Joss Whedon

Author: actress4888 from USA
21 September 2002

Joss Whedon is a television god. He created two of the best shows on TV ("Buffy the Vampire Slayer", "Angel") and now "Firefly." It's a show about a very diverse group, ranging from a preacher to a "Companion", Han Solo-ing it through space by stealing and delivering illegal items. The pilot was clever and witty ("Sir, I think you have a problem with your brain missing"), with an interesting space galaxy that will no doubt, evolve as richly as the demonic universe of "Buffy and "Angel". However, expect more shoot-'em-ups then vampire aliens attacking. This is a show for both John Wayne AND "Buffy" fans. For the pilot alone, I give it a 9 out of 10.

Big mistake of being canceled. Great series!

Author: josh zito from United States
20 October 2008

After watching the series, I was deeply depressed that they had canceled it. The cast played their parts, the plots contained new twists, and the storyline was outstanding! I went and watched the movie and felt the same. The pilot showed the best sci-fi action you could never expect from a series and if I could put it in words its a "Sci-Fi masterpiece!" The main thing which you will love about the series are how each episode puts a interesting twist on the bad circumstances and threats they have to go through. If you haven't watched it yet but are looking forward to, I simply tell you it's "A must watch series" I give it 9 out of 10. I would give it a 10 if they hadn't canceled it.

Momentary glimpse of wit

Author: sevenevenstar from United States
9 February 2007

I am not a TV watcher. With the rare exception of previous seasons of Grey's Anatomy and the occasional guilty pleasure of Lost, I find TV by and large mind-numbing. It baffles me that anyone would devote any time at all to flipping channels, much less schedule LIFE around the air time of a television show. This is the way it's always been for me... and apparently will always be. The premature cancellation of this absolutely BRILLIANT show pretty much cements it -- the idiocy of TV execs and the undeniable truth that the collective IQ of TV-watching public is roughly equivalent to a bit of naval fuzz. I discovered Firefly in its DVD box set iteration, long after its on air demise, and despite some severe skepticism (Cowboy pirates in SPACE? Are you kidding me??) I was instantly in love, even with the cheesy theme song. It's akin to how the smell of pine and cinnamon instantly transports me to childhood Christmases; that twangy intro just makes me feel all squishy inside. LOVE the characters, LOVE the dialogue, LOVE the loyalty and the integrity and the bizarre twisted justice of it all. Love the contrasts and the nuances, the stubborn hope, the recalcitrant nobility. LOVE LOVE LOVE Mal. I am become a Firefly dealer, and I peddle my highly addictive wares to anyone looking for a little high in a terribly low world.

A brilliant work never brought to fruition

Author: Adam Mattinson (aj_matt@hotmail.com) from Canada
7 August 2006

Firefly is simply a precious gem. It is extremely rare that a TV show can ever achieve such a level of character, drama, and comic wit that pulls your interest and keeps you hooked. Firefly does all of that and more. The dialog is well written, the plot is always intriguing and the characters are all complex and yet interesting in their own right. Whedon and the cast have outdone many other shows, achieving a level of storytelling with a sci-fi/western twist thats so unique no other program comes close.

Personally I was introduced to the 'Verse after the motion picture Serenity came to DVD, well after the series was done with. I hadn't even really heard of it at all (most likely due to poor advertising by the original network) but I quickly became hooked. Never before have I seen a cast of virtual unknowns mesh together with such skill and character along with Joss Whedon's masterful talent at writing and directing to create a fluid and compelling work as a whole.

I truly regret that the show was canceled at such a young stage, there were many plot lines that were left unfinished due to the sudden halt to production, yet the show and the movie both leave hope of things to come. With luck perhaps another network will pick up the series for a second chance. Even if they don't, this collection from the original episodes is a must see for any sci-fi fans and even those not inclined to the ideas of Star Trek, Star Wars, and the numerous other space shows and movies that have turned up over the years. Don't let this boat pass you by.

Excellent TV series that I missed when it first came out.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
13 February 2006

So, that's why old TV series' are being turned out on DVD! I wasn't even aware of the TV series 'Firefly' when it was shown in 2002. I don't know if it was because I didn't get the network on my cable, or if I wasn't attracted by the title (see last comments, below). But my good friend Ken is a fan, and he loaned me his DVD set of the TV series.

Very roughly, set about 500 years in the future. We have exhausted the natural resources of the Earth, and are forced to find another 'solar' system. With terra-farming we are able, over a period of years, to convert many of the planets and moons into habitats for humans. The USA and China have continued to rise to become intergalactic super powers and the two spoken languages in use are Chinese and English.

The captain and crew of the 'Serenity' have become space scavengers, which is illegal, but they have to survive. To supplement their income, and to keep fresh story lines coming, they take on unusual passengers who often get them into new and interesting situations. Good TV series!!

(Maybe it is just me, but I have missed more than one TV series because of an uninspiring title. Two glaring examples are 'Taxi' and 'Northern Exposure.' I clearly remember when they were in first run, and never watching them because the titles did not attract me. And, later I became big fans of both during re-runs, and now DVDs.)

The Best of The Least Watched

Author: turkeyboy007 from United States
3 December 2005

Firefly was a show that could almost be called "before its own time". It is a brilliant show that did not get the ratings it needed to stay on television. One of the biggest problems was that nobody knew what it was. Even today, after the dvds have been out and popular and now the Serenity movie is out, most people I talk to do not know what this show was or is.

To let you know, Firefly is basically a futuristic western with a little Chinese thrown in for good measure. The captain, who is played by the wonderful Nathan Fillion, can remind you of Han Solo. The crew is a bunch of people from many different aspects of life that come together as a family on this ship called Serenity, a Firefly class ship. They are mercenaries who will basically take any job to get money, but they have heart and soul.

What really puts this show over the top is the dialog. Once again, Joss Whedon writes some of most brilliant dialog in all of television and movies.

Overall, Firefly was better than your average canceled TV show and deserved better than Fox gave it. Luckily, the DVD set is available now and is a great set with some great extras and commentaries. Also, there is the movie "Serenity" which was in theaters in September and the DVD will be out on December 20th. I highly recommend both the TV series and the movie. You will not be disappointed with your purchase.

Shows what TV can be if they let people do their thing

Author: froglips111302 from United States
16 October 2005

I came late to the party. Not watching TV, only DVD of TV shows. Well, all i can say is I waited too long.

The show starts a bit slow,then just kicks in and gets better with each episode.

Much in the way Buffy would move me, Firefly did too. Joss and the Cast just hit it.

This show really is about the ensemble cast as it develops with hints of back story. I tell people its as if Buffy meets Star Trek only better. What makes it so compelling is how it is so grey. Not the black and white of most shows. When you have Mal doing many nefarious things then harshliy judging Inara's profession.

Congrats to all on Serenity too.

Firefly is a series of substance and humor.

Author: wintersm from United States
11 March 2005

This series wasn't given a full run on Fox, and after I watched the last episode all I wanted was more.

Smart humor, characters I can relate to, and riveting plot. There isn't one throw-away episode in the lot. I was worried about the sci-fi bit alienating me, but it was just background to the wonderful stories. It is a rare thing for a director of science fiction to give good stories without glorying in the science fiction they create. The

The western aspects of firefly also just add amazing color, shading, and depth to the characters, story, and world.

I am very disappointed that there isn't a season 2, and I'm hoping that the movie coming out in Sept. will satisfy my craving.