IMDb > "Firefly" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Firefly"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Firefly" More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 66: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Better than you'd think

Author: monkeysvsrobotsdotcom from NorCal, CA
25 October 2002

Never mind what the other user said, as it sounds like he/she only watched a single episode... Like any show it has its ups and downs, but it is also a new show and is still finding its legs (as of this writing it's only about 5 episodes in!). Most SciFi doesn't really start getting somewhere until a few seasons in (look at any Star Trek series for an example). It has style and a little wit. The characters are likeable and not entirely clichéd (in other words, an ugly cripple isn't always the bad guy). I was a little skeptical of the story (Space Cowboys?) but it works. It's a SciFi show even my girlfriend likes. Give it a try, you might find you'll like it.

A show worth watching!

Author: hawkeye11_ from Kingston, Ont
25 October 2002

It's rare to find a decent sci-fi show these days. Firefly is original, funny, and entertaining. From the start, I was hooked. The cast, just like with any show starting out, is still finding it's footing, but they have a good chemistry nevertheless. The premise is thought provoking- the fact that our technologies in some ways have not advanced that far in 4/500 years may tell us something about ourselves (such as the fact that they carry guns like a good ol' western - which is also just a lot of fun), and the reasons behind the war that split the human race. Just like most Sci-fi's it seems (although many people don't see it), there is a deeper side to Firefly. It examines humanity, spirituality, and the choices one has to make and live with. That and the fact that you have a great time watching it makes Firefly one of the best new shows out there.

Sci-fi done right (for a change)

Author: uriel222 from Toronto, Canada
24 October 2002

This show seems to suffer from negative reviews and bad ratings. The main complaint of both the cult followers and main-stream media is the Western (Old West) elements. The reviewers point out that wagons, horses and six-shooters have no place in the future. While this is debatable, it overshadows the brilliant writing, deep characters, subtle special effects and overall tight production values. This show is probably not long for this world, but of all the shows I've seen cancelled over the years, this hurts the most. If you can accept the Old West style as a metaphor, this is quite easily the best sci-fi tv series to be made in recent years, and a definite contender for one of the best sci-fi's of all time.

Goodbye Firefly, we hardly knew ye.

Great sci-fi

Author: Pnai from North Fork, Ca
19 October 2002

This show has all the promise of Farscape. It gives a great feel to the space western niche. It doesn't rely on major Fx ,but on the story and character development. It has wit and enough sci-fi flavor to keep the viewer engrossed in it's unusual stories (the story line with Jane as a hero comes to mind). Very good program, I hope it lasts.

Awesome

Author: BadgleyMishkafan
18 October 2002

I think that it is a great show and really really good characters and story plot. I think it will make a really great show and I hope that it stays on a while. I think it has great potential and had a great starting show.

You can't go wrong with Joss Whedon

Author: actress4888 from USA
21 September 2002

Joss Whedon is a television god. He created two of the best shows on TV ("Buffy the Vampire Slayer", "Angel") and now "Firefly." It's a show about a very diverse group, ranging from a preacher to a "Companion", Han Solo-ing it through space by stealing and delivering illegal items. The pilot was clever and witty ("Sir, I think you have a problem with your brain missing"), with an interesting space galaxy that will no doubt, evolve as richly as the demonic universe of "Buffy and "Angel". However, expect more shoot-'em-ups then vampire aliens attacking. This is a show for both John Wayne AND "Buffy" fans. For the pilot alone, I give it a 9 out of 10.

A short, bright flash and a wonderful 'verse is gone

Author: anthony-burton from Leamington Spa, UK
27 October 2008

Considering its short run, Firefly manages to create a rich and textured universe for its nomadic cast with consummate ease and makes its cancellation all the more baffling. If you turned on half way through an episode you could be forgiven for thinking you were watching a western, until the cowboys riding horseback are passed by a hovering train. Or coral shootouts with bolt action rifles pitted against lasers which only the rich can afford.

As fabulous as Firefly's backdrop remains, it's not the secret of its success, nor is it the content of the episodes either, but the remarkable characters within them. The crew and passengers aboard Serenity arrived there for many different reasons; loyalty, escape, money or freedom to name a few. But they fit together like nine pieces of a jig-saw where the whole is infinitely better than you imagined when viewing the individual pieces. And as the series continues, you appreciate just how well it all fits together.

There are many things to love about Firefly though. Great sets - Serenity in particular is exactly as you'd imagine an ageing transport ship would look, functional yet at the same time beautiful - balletic space scenes, laugh out loud humour, the whole cast shines and their natural chemistry is obvious for all to see. Lets not forget the aesthetic pleasure of simply watching the women, because you won't find a more beautiful bunch in any TV show i can recollect... Ever.

Firefly isn't without it's shortcoming though. Sometimes the low budget shows, sometimes the episodes seem formulaic and predictable and sometimes it's a bit too cheesy for it's own good, but you simply won't care. You'll just keep watching until the end. Then you'll go and buy the film Serenity, then you'll wonder why they didn't make more of this fantastic show. And you'll yearn for more.

Big mistake of being canceled. Great series!

Author: josh zito from United States
20 October 2008

After watching the series, I was deeply depressed that they had canceled it. The cast played their parts, the plots contained new twists, and the storyline was outstanding! I went and watched the movie and felt the same. The pilot showed the best sci-fi action you could never expect from a series and if I could put it in words its a "Sci-Fi masterpiece!" The main thing which you will love about the series are how each episode puts a interesting twist on the bad circumstances and threats they have to go through. If you haven't watched it yet but are looking forward to, I simply tell you it's "A must watch series" I give it 9 out of 10. I would give it a 10 if they hadn't canceled it.

Momentary glimpse of wit

Author: sevenevenstar from United States
9 February 2007

I am not a TV watcher. With the rare exception of previous seasons of Grey's Anatomy and the occasional guilty pleasure of Lost, I find TV by and large mind-numbing. It baffles me that anyone would devote any time at all to flipping channels, much less schedule LIFE around the air time of a television show. This is the way it's always been for me... and apparently will always be. The premature cancellation of this absolutely BRILLIANT show pretty much cements it -- the idiocy of TV execs and the undeniable truth that the collective IQ of TV-watching public is roughly equivalent to a bit of naval fuzz. I discovered Firefly in its DVD box set iteration, long after its on air demise, and despite some severe skepticism (Cowboy pirates in SPACE? Are you kidding me??) I was instantly in love, even with the cheesy theme song. It's akin to how the smell of pine and cinnamon instantly transports me to childhood Christmases; that twangy intro just makes me feel all squishy inside. LOVE the characters, LOVE the dialogue, LOVE the loyalty and the integrity and the bizarre twisted justice of it all. Love the contrasts and the nuances, the stubborn hope, the recalcitrant nobility. LOVE LOVE LOVE Mal. I am become a Firefly dealer, and I peddle my highly addictive wares to anyone looking for a little high in a terribly low world.

Excellent Series

Author: sweetsanity from United States
28 December 2006

Okay. I LOVE this series. I MISS this series.

To tell you how absolutely wonderful this show was, I have to tell you a couple of things about myself:

1) I don't like westerns.

2) I don't like sci-fi.

This is how good Firefly was. It made a western/sci-fi hater into a convert. Also, I am the mother of a 2 year old and I have learned some excellent alternatives to the curse words that I am now forced to omit from my vocabulary!

The FOX execs have no sense and I would be honored to kill them with my brain.