IMDb > "Firefly" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Firefly"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Firefly" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 66: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Firefly cancellation.

Author: wildeco from United Kingdom
20 November 2005

Didn't have time to watch this show when first broadcast but have now watched it on DVD. Profoundly attached to the characters and horrified by the abrupt termination. Glad to note the Serenity movie and will buy on DVD as soon as it is released. I,ve been a science fiction fan since 1950's and read many classic authors as they were published. Always dismayed by the poor quality of special effects and sloppy writing on TV and Cinema until recently (with a few notable exceptions). Firefly and the recent remake of Battlestar Galactica blow almost everything else out of the water. Classic status beckons. Hope the studios see the light and give us more.

Who knows? Maybe the movie will do so well that someone will say "we should make a TV series based on this".

Author: say_andy from Canada
29 July 2005

After watching the pilot episode, I wasn't sure if I'd like this series. The first half of the two-hour show was kind of dull and off-putting. The opening scene drops the viewer right in the middle of a war, with no set up or context. I actually had to go back on the DVD to make sure I hadn't accidentally skipped past an episode or a chapter. I understand the story-telling benefit of starting right in the middle of the action, but I think an establishing shot or subtitle may have been called for, given that this was the first scene anyone would see of a show they were deciding whether or not to pick up (as a network, and eventually, as a viewer). The rest of the episode works to explain the motivations and world of the show, along with introduce the cast of nine characters. Methinks nine characters in one pilot may have been a little overambitious, preventing the audience from truly connecting with any one of them enough to embrace the show. By the end of the episode, I started to ease in a bit and feel the Whedon in the dialogue, but wasn't convinced whether or not I liked the show. I can't say for sure whether or not I would have tuned in the next week were I have been watching when it aired.

However, once I got past the bumpy pilot episode (which, incidentally, was not the first episode aired by Fox), I managed to take in the show whole-heartedly without problem. For those who don't know, Firefly is a space western, set in a future timeline featuring frontier planets resembling the old west. The show focuses on the crew of the ship Serenity, a firefly calibre spacecraft that the crew uses to smuggle goods throughout the galaxy on behalf of whomever will pay them.

The two biggest reasons why the show works are creator/writer/sometimes-director Joss Whedon and series star Nathan Fillion. Whedon's imagination is such that a convoluted idea like I described above works as well as, say, a Californian former-valley girl teen who fights demons. The characters are fully realised and appealing in their own ways, and the dialogue is sharp and witty. Since it is in the future, Whedon is unable to use the pop culture references that litter his other two shows, and does fine without it.

Fillion stars as Serenity's Captain Malcolm Reynolds, and is easily the shining star of the ensemble cast. Without his charismatic leadership, the cast of quirky misfits that surround him wouldn't work. In fact, Reynolds is such a fantastic character that I have to wonder if Whedon made a mistake in making Firefly such a large ensemble, as the show may have been more successful with more focus on him. Not that the cast isn't good, as each character is enjoyable in its own right and is given a legitimate reason for their role on the ship and the show.

Particularly good amongst the others is Adam Baldwin as the ship's amoral muscle Jayne Cobb. Used alternately as menacing threat and blundering comic relief, Jayne manages to steal most scenes that he's in. Gina Torres plays the same tough chick she's played elsewhere, such as Alias and Angel, as Zoë Warren. Jewel Staite is adorable as the ship's mechanic Kaylee, and Brazilian Morena Baccarin is absolutely gorgeous as the ship's resident "companion" Inara Serra, who oozes sex appeal and has real chemistry with Reyolds. She also looks a lot like Ashley Judd. Rounding out the ensemble are Alan Tudyk as pilot Hoban "Wash" Washburn, Sean Maher as medic Dr. Simon Tam, Summer Glau as his sister River, and Ron Glass as Shepherd Book.

All in all, I found Firefly to be a highly entertaining show, and was a little sad when the episodes came to an end. The show was a perfect balance between self-contained episodes and multi-episode character archs. Each episode contained an adventure that began and ended within the 42 minutes of show time, but the characters themselves evolved and progressed each week, referencing the past episodes while moving forward with the current episode. The audience isn't strung along with never-ending cliffhangers, but at the same time are trusted to follow the ongoing developments in character development.

Simply awesome

Author: MyOwnNarnia from Oregon
20 April 2005

I absolutely love Firefly! I am so sad that FOX canceled the show and every time I think of or watch the episodes I feel lonely for more. Firefly is without a doubt THE best show I have ever seen! The characters are interesting, the plot is fantastic and it keeps you begging for more! I can only hope that someday Firefly will be revived... Star Trek didn't make it its 1st season either.

Our heroes practically beg for trouble, they are rebels who aren't afraid to get dusty, shoot guns or punch villains. There is a lot of truth in the show, and it probably caused a lot of controversy too. Our heroes are freedom fighters seeking truth and adventure. There is something uniquely distinct and deep about each character that makes you want to look into each of their minds. Even Jayne has a soft heart, which once in awhile shines.

A space cowboys, gun slinging', great time! If you haven't seen Firefly, do!

-M.M.

There's no place I can be since I found Serenity. You can't take the sky from me.

Highly Recommended

Author: dawnmerydith from United States
19 April 2005

Ahhh Firefly! The new love of my life!! Even if you are not into the sci-fi or western themes watch this. There is something in this series for everyone. The no nonsense good vs evil elements are down-right inspiring. The Heroes and villains are better than those in any comic book series. Thick suspense and exciting plots mix well with the witty dialog and humor. ALL the characters are complex and entertaining. Probably the best thing for me is the relationships that develop between the characters. Well, the action is a close second. Or maybe even how the series develops and you learn more and more about the ship and crew. It is hard to say because there is so much here. The series is great! You will love it.

Affected me as TV series rarely do.

Author: innocuous from Raleigh, NC, USA
17 January 2005

I don't watch very many series on TV. I have never cared for any of the Star Trek series beyond TNG; the various Stargate series; Harsh Realm; or any SF shows that came after these I've just mentioned...with one exception.

The fact is, I missed the original broadcast series entirely, which wasn't difficult due to its short lifetime. Based on the comments of others, I bought the entire series in the box set without having seen one scrap of the show. I was not disappointed.

This is one of those rare shows that makes you feel as if you are personally involved with the characters. The stories and the technology just feel "right" to me. Whether or not Whedon was partially inspired by "Star Wars", you can easily imagine the Serenity landing at Mos Eiseley to look for contract cargo.

The Serenity is an impressive product of the imagination and the fact that they built an entire full-scale model to film within certainly lends to the realism of the show, particularly during tracking shots.

Trust me, you need to rent or buy the entire series. This is something I rarely say about TV productions.

***** out of *****

Open your eyes!

Author: onadiet from London, England
10 December 2004

Firefly is a great series... the acting's cool, even after only a few episodes the inter-character relationships are really made clear...

Joss write it intending for it to look less polished than normal SF stuff... i actually think the camera work is great... and the effects are REAL, they look gritty and so what if they're miss-framed on occasions... it just gives it a sense of humanity that things like Star Trek and Andromeda lack.

I never got to see it on TV over here, because we didn't have cable TV at the time... but i bought the box set, and i do not regret spending my hard-earned cash on that rather than the plasticky-Trek

underrated, and misunderstood.

Author: Andi Michaels from London
25 November 2004

how someone can dislike this show, i cannot understand. Okay, so the special effects are a little "iffy", and it's very random. For some reason they've gone back to cowboy style, and yet it's set in the future. Also prostitution is legal, and respected (!) and they swear in Chinese (i think). But look past that, look at who made it! Joss Whedon is a creative genius. Buffy has become a legend amongst teenagers, (and yes, anyone who feels this is reason for persecution and has the word "geek" on the tip of their tongue-go ahead.)

This show has an interesting idea, interweaving story lines and brilliant scriptwriting. The lines are some of the funniest i've heard, and i though i started watching this with scepticism, i'm really disappointed that they didn't make a second series. It's adventure with only a tinge of sci fi and it's FUNNY so please don't judge it and dismiss it because it's different. open your mind and laugh along.

a great show let down by stupid people

Author: Luke Henderson (captainwhizz) from Colchester, England
9 November 2004

it's a shame that a great show like this gets cancelled because it's not dumb enough to appeal to the mainstream straight away.

if only more shows were made for the sake of telling great stories; for art's sake, rather than purely for monetary gain.

This show will be sorely missed, and its cancellation is damning evidence against whoever pulled the plug.

It's hard to imagine that the people in charge didn't realize that a series by Joss Whedon would be sci-fi/ fantasy but still be smart, entertaining, and often deal with issues common to real life. But then, I guess we shouldn't expect too much from TV executives by now.

Yes Fox is mad

Author: monte_8888 from Brisbane, Australia
2 November 2004

After 50 years watching the movie/TV industry and the product it dumps on us unfortunate viewers I feel justified in saying that "quality" of production, script or acting vary rarely gets the rewards it deserves. "Firefly" is a classic case of a really good TV series being murdered before it got off the blocks. I have watched it in the DVD mode minus the ads and have enjoyed its tight plots, good acting and great scripts. Unlike other sensitive people out there I am not confused by a plot line that includes "horses" and "spaceships". What was Star Wars about "swords" and spaceships. Give it a chance in a good spot and it would shine...unfortunately like other intelligent productions it will probably become something of a collectors item. What a loss. Congratulations to the crew who at least gave it a go. A really large GONG to 20th Century Fox...who are these people who make the decisions.

Fabulous - it's worth a trip to the video store.

Author: Melissalyn from Burtonsville, MD
9 September 2004

I don't know how I missed this when it aired, but I rented the first DVD on a whim a few weeks ago and it is fabulous. I would recommend it to anyone looking for something fun and original to watch, definitely add the series to your NetFlix list.

The writing is tight and clever. The characters are interesting and the plots are unique and melodramatic -- as all good SciFi should be. I cannot understand why it was canceled before it had a chance to find it's audience.

The only downside is that it ends too soon.

If FOX put Firefly up against Enterprise this season, or just about anything else, I'd watch Firefly.