IMDb > "Firefly" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Firefly"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Firefly" More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 68: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

bring it back bring it back

Author: shaldna
7 January 2004

wow.

i came across this by accident one sunday eveing and was hooked in minutes. it's fun, dirty, sexy, lighthearted and a great space adventure.

if you loved farscape then you'll love firefly.

it's like a cowboy movie in space.

but suddenly it disapeered off our screens with no explantion. was that the end? is there another sereis, or have we lost it forever?

Exceptional series!!

Author: brigand13 from Plano, TX
10 December 2003

Firefly was one of the truly exceptional pieces of television that occasionally comes along. Unfortunately, the programming executives at Fox did not realize what a true gem they had. This is something that is becoming so par for the course for this network, that I have ceased watching any of their shows because I know they will be cancelled just as the real story is beginning to develop (see Dark Angel and John Doe for other examples of this phenomenon).

Fortunately, for the loyal fan base that this show created and for those who missed it the first time around, it is being given new life. Not only has the series been recently released on DVD (including 3 unaired episodes), but there is a movie in the works as well.

As for Firefly itself, perhaps the show isn't for everyone. The future view that it offers isn't the clean shiny perfection populated with bumpy-headed aliens that has been the norm for many sci-fi TV shows. Instead it offers a glimpse of the future in a state of upheaval after a drawn-out war where settlements are created on the frontier and then basically forgotten by the government. The show centers around realistic characters who are trying their best to just get by in this setting.

I think the reason that some of the previous reviewers didn't appreciate the show is that it doesn't offer the whiz-bang special effects and grandiose story lines that are part of most sci-fi shows. Instead if offers well thought out stories which are character-centric and more focused on highlighting aspects of the human condition in any era than on painting a pretty reassuring picture.

pure quality

Author: soltys from Poland
4 August 2003

This is probably the best sci-fi show I've seen so far. It's incredibly rare to see films, where ships flying in space actually act like well, stuff in vacuum (no more childish sound of movement, no airplane physics, etc.). Well, for most of the people this is probably very minor detail, but it was the first thing that hooked me to the show. Besides that - interesting story, characters that you actually care for and everything else - put well into fantastic series, yet very short (circa half a season). Hopefully, there're plans for more (motion picture), but as for all cancelled shows, their future usually doesn't look too bright :/

I know that some people may be scared because of small western twist. I myself, really don't like westerns at all. Yet surprisingly, this unusual blend of western (less) and sci-fi (more) turns out to be masterpiece. If you didn't watch this show, don't let the apperances turn you into thinking "western - crappy". Nothing could be more misleading here.

The show is targeted rather for mature audience. Try it, you won't regret it.

One word that sums up the series:

Author: cham_noo from Northampton, England
1 October 2006

Amazing.

But seriously, it really was an amazing show. Words cannot really express the pure genius of Firefly and it's originality. Firefly combines a futuristic look with a truly mid-western cowboy feel.

Both the real life sets and CGI were combined so well that you could not always tell which backdrops where really there and the ones that were not. Even the filming style itself was cunningly conceived to fit in the firefly world. With seemingly shaky camera work and off centre framing - you feel you are right there in the ship with the crew of Serenity.

The shaky camera work was even in the purely CGI shots - if you did not know it was just CGI during the chase scene in "THE MESSAGE" you could believe - and in fact you still do- that they had mounted a camera on the top one of the ships to film the scene, which just adds to the fast-paced manner of the show.

In fact, there is only one thing that could have in any way ruined this show, and that is the order the episodes where screened on television. The following list has the order the episodes should be viewed, with the numbers representing the order they where screened;

11) Serenity

13) Trash

14) The Message

12) Heart of Gold

10) Objects in space

As you can see for yourself - the episode order screws up the story, and character arcs to a very high degree. With episode which should have been viewed at the end of the series appearing near the beginning and the original pilot episode (serenity) being shown right near the end despite the fact it sets up the new world, and the character interconnections. Hardly the recipe for a large number of viewers.

But despite the scheduling, Firefly managed to do the impossible, create such a strong fan base, that a film was made from the cancelled show. That film truly deserves its place in cinema history whether it gets it or not - just for the shear fact it got made. Something that the original fans, Joss Wheedon, his crew and great ensemble cast should be exceedingly proud of.

The film also did something else - it brought new fans back to the series of Firefly. I myself was just a fan of Joss Wheedon's work (via Buffy and Angel) when I saw the TV series, which living in England had to buy to see it - money definitely worth spending. But when I heard about the film I dragged a couple of friends along with me to see. One of which thought the film was so amazing that he bought the series ASAP even thought I offered to lend it to him. This if the power of Firefly and the signal which cannot be stopped

Great short lived series

Author: Sammael13 (mor_dib@hotmail.com) from Ohio
17 January 2004

I just want to defend what I think to be one of the most under rated shows that graced the small screen. Joss Whedon does an excellent job of combining the past with the future to give the viewer a unique look at how things could be in our distant future. The viewer quickly develops a closeness to the cast and wants to become involved in their quirky plots. My only problem with this show is that it had such a short life span and I am not able to continue watching characters that I genuinely care about. Oh well, I guess I will just have to wait to see them on the big screen.

Best show I've seen in a long time

Author: sasebay
2 January 2004

Not sure why it didn't make it (yes, I read all the articles...but it still doesn't make sense). Hope the movie gets off the ground. I'd pay to see it a couple of times.

a great series lost in FOX TVs bugzapper

Author: Animus from United States
13 December 2003

FIREFLY is one of the best television series' to appear in a long time. Sadly it appeared on FOX where only mediocrity will do. To have a series that is well acted, well written and brilliantly filmed is anathema to network television. FIREFLY deserved so much more, as did its fans who will never get to see the series go to the wondrous and vibrant worlds that the series would have explored had it not been shot down during its ascent. We'll never know what the real deal with River was, what Book's mysterious background was, who the Reavers truly were nor even the story behind the Blue Sun. Alas poor FIREFLY, we hardly knew ye...

A Star Burned Out Too Soon

Author: Strdncr5 from Carson City, NV
11 December 2003

Like so many other favorite TV shows of mine, "Firefly" was not given a decent chance. If the FOX executives were to take a look at the comments here alone, they might (though I'm not sure they'd have the intelligence or understanding to) realize that this show should not have been cancelled so soon.

Everything about "Firefly" was well-done and caught the attention of fans right from the start. Joss Whedon is a creative genius who deserves all his present success -- and much more in the future. His writing is sharp, witty and intelligent; he casts his characters well; and he manages to keep a high level of energy and interest throughout his projects when they're given a decent run. With his track record, Joss was sure to have kept up the fine quality of "Firefly" for some time to come, and the fact that he was not given the opportunity is a great crime. Thankfully, fans have the DVDs to enjoy, as well as the upcoming feature film.

Keep up the great work, Joss...and we can only hope you can use your button to recall the crew when your miracle arrives!

Well written sci-fi?? Say it ain't so.

Author: (sergeant_x@hotmail.com) from Kansas, USA
10 August 2003

Joss Whedon's work thrives on tweaking expectations and this show did that to joyful excess. That may have been its downfall, but the cruel irony is that this was the best television I've seen in years. Sharp intelligent dialog, compelling character development, stories with real situations, real moral dilemmas and not one rubber suited alien in the whole 'verse. This is a story about real people and the things they have to do to get by 'out in the black'.

Modeled after the post-civil war US west, this is the story of the passengers of 'Serenity', a Firefly class transport ship, struggling to survive on the fringes of civilization. They aren't galactic heroes saving the universe from the dark side. They don't fly the biggest baddest starship in the imperial fleet, and they're not rich enough to afford lasers. Its no wonder the 'live long and prosper', buck rogers crowd couldn't relate. Its mature drama and sophisticated humor that explores themes about people and life, not about futuristic technobabble. Check it out, you'll be glad you did.

Sci-Fi with a Wild West Feel

Author: Steph1585 from Atlanta, GA
21 September 2002

This series has been advertised as being from the creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Joss Whedon), but it bears little resemblance at all to any of his other series.

The series takes place some time in the future, after Earth has been abandoned; there has been a sort of civil war between the colonies, with the Alliance winning, and the Independents taking to the outskirts of society. The captain and his crew are some of these Independents, taking a variety of jobs (usually illegal) in order to get by. They also carry four passengers, several of whom desire to avoid "the Feds;" among these are a Companion (legalized prostitute), a Shepherd (a priest), and a Medic and his sister who was rescued from the Feds' Academy.

I liked the pilot quite a bit, and hope that the series continues the sort of theme running through it thus far. There is a definite Western feel to this show, from the costuming to the props to the sets to the plots. Star Trek has always been billed as "Wagon Train in Space," and this show -- not part of the ST franchise, of course -- really seems to play on that comparison. To the point of the first "job" we see the crew pull off is a train heist. The metaphor of "space, the final frontier" which the show seems to be heavily playing on definitely isn't new, but this is a unique -- and enjoyable -- way of doing it, and I compliment Whedon highly on it.

As for the cast, they do a very good job as well, despite being mostly unknowns and not-quite-knowns. The only two people I recognized were Adam Baldwin (as Jayne, the muscle of the crew) and Ron Glass (as the Shepherd), but there seemed to be a definite chemistry between the characters who were supposed to have them. Nathan Fillion does a reasonably convincing job as a Captain just trying to get by; Gina Torres and Alan Tudyk are his first in command and pilot, respectively, and also extremely believable (at least thus far) as a married couple, as well (and kudos for the casting of an interracial couple). Baldwin does a wonderful job as a sort of comic relief (not that the character intends it, but I'm sure the writers do), and Jewel Staite rounds out the crew as a somewhat flaky mechanic; its hard to imagine her as a mechanic (she doesn't strike me nearly as tomboyish enough) but it's early, yet. Of the passengers, Glass' Shepherd is not very intrusive (sort of akin to Father Mulcahy in MASH), and Simon Maher and Summer Glau do fairly good jobs as the Medic and his rather disturbed (and disturbing) sister, of having a sort of chemistry between them. Finally, Morena Baccarin is very striking as the Companion, who has her own shuttle, and oddly enough is the only person on the entire ship who wouldn't be arrested on the spot (though the exact crimes of the Shepherd haven't been covered, as of yet). All in all, a very mixed crew, all of whom have shown talent to one degree or another, thus far.