IMDb > A Kind of America (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Valami Amerika

A Kind of America More at IMDbPro »Valami Amerika (original title)

An Amazing, Heart Warming, Unforgettable Film!

Author: Donald Murphy from Kansas
29 October 2004

You think you know America, well, guess again? After watching A Kind of America you will know a whole new America and laugh yourself silly. It's a really great movie about the funny parts of life that we all live for. The main actor is so funny with his facial expressions and the way he acts. It's like watching a European Charlie Chaplin or Woody Allen. Plus, the girls are sexy, and I don't mean the kind of sexy that makes you turn your head, I mean the kind of sexy that blows your eyes out of their sockets!!! I don't know much about directing, but the movie seems to have a nice, natural rhythm. You know how a lot of films feel choppy or sloppy? Not this one. It's really great. It's also cool because it makes fun of Hollywood, which is like Hollywood making fun of itself. Right? So check this one out, I guarantee you'll love it!

Wish this were available in the US

Author: Oedi from Texas, US
23 September 2003

I picked up this little gem on a trip to Budapest this summer and brought it home to the states trusting that it would be good (I have yet to be disappointed with a single Hungarian film). Surprise, surprise -- it was great. This movie had me rolling with laughter, but I got so much more from it than just comedy. As an American I found it incredibly interesting in the context of a Hungarian insight into US cultural imperialism. In particular Andras (played wonderfully by Hujber Ferenc) was a sort of barometer of Hungarian-ness in this increasingly "kind of American" world. It was completely brilliant on that level too. It's too bad this movie isn't more widely available internationally, it has a lot to offer.

Funny even for Americans!

Author: Pookyiscute from Nyiregyhaza, Hungary
10 February 2004

This movie was hilarious! I just saw it for the first time last night and it was non-stop humor. I am American but it was still really funny and a lot of the jokes were great, some of them were even making fun of Americans. I was really impressed with all of the acting, but I think that they could have found someone more convincing to play the movie producer. In all the scenes in which he speaks English a lot of the time I couldn't even understand what he was saying because he had such a thick accent. And he was supposed to be an American! He sure didn't sound like one. At any rate, it was funny and I thought that it was really well written. I especially found the guy who played the director's younger brother really good. He was also really hot! But, if you're looking for a good movie that's foreign but you're not in the mood for something artsy fartsy like most foreign films tend to be, then you should definitely look into seeing this movie. The only other thing I will say is... "Kek Majom" (Blue Monkey)....

One of the best Hungarian comedies ever made

Author: anikoeipl from Budapest, Hungary
30 May 2002

This is the best Hungarian comedy made in the last years! Even though it was not so much appreciated by critics, I think it is an advantage and not a disadvantage if a film becomes so successful. It is very popular among young people and it was a leading film in movies for weeks. I also wanted to clap when I first saw it as I felt I was in a theatre, the audience was so much together. The film also gave a good opportunity to the very good, but mainly theatre actors to be known by the whole country. Tibor Szervét is excellent!

awesome

Author: danube3125 from Chicago, USA
17 April 2005

I was visiting my relatives in Budapest the other summer when I saw this incredible movie. I have not seen too many Hungarian movies, unfortunately, but I thought this movie was good in comparison to all movies.

All the characters were well defined and although the "american" film director did not sound entirely American, to Hungarians, he was very convincing.

The whole thing about the soundtrack and the advertisements- I really could care less, considering the genre of the movie. This is not some kind of profound drama that's meant to explore some major psychological issue. It's a hilarious comedy that gives some insight to Hungarian culture and their perception of America.

Like the other guy said, it's got some really hot chicks. I really wonder why the movie is not internationally renowned. Maybe everyone's thinking: where's HUNGARY, anyway? It's a shame...

Never boring

Author: Mort-31 from Vienna, Austria
31 July 2002

I agree with meitschi and her comment from 7 April 2002 in practically every point. Although there is not a single song in the movie dissimilar to some world hit already heard (or to another song in the film), I also felt the impulse to clap my hands.

This was just a jaunty little movie with young actors I had never heard of before (as I do not live in Hungary and cannot watch Hungarian television) but who were all at least okay. Especially Tibor Szervet impressed me because if I didn't have known from the start, I could have believed him to be an American producer. Not one second it bored me, although it is quite long compared to other TV-ish ensemble comedies.

After watching the movie, my aunt asked me to fill in a lotto coupon. I ticked off 90, 89, 88, 87 and 86…

At last: a really funny movie for young people in Hungary

Author: ktibo-2 from Lajosmizse, Hungary
17 March 2002

My friends told me that I have to watch this movie. This is not just really funny but all the hearts of the filmmakers are in this picture. The plot is very good, just like the characters. The ending is really surprising, and I felt that I wanna clap my hands in the cinema! This movie is the best Hungarian commercial movie from this and the last decade. It did not have a huge merchandising, but I hope that it will be a big success not just in Hungary, but all over the world!! Congratulations!

Great comedy with non-stop laughs!

Author: darkwoman from Hell:P
26 February 2004

I love this movie. Original, funny, I almost fell of my chair when I laughed. One of the best comedies EVER. I don't know how many other countries was it released in and how understandable are the jokes for foreign people, but it was a great succes here, in Hungary. Excellent performances by Eszter Ónodi, Gyõzõ Szabó, Tibor Szervét, Gábor Reviczky, Ferenc Hujber and Ila Shütz, the only weak link of the cast was Csaba Pindroch (but I think he looked very good:P). And the ending...I could imagine ANY ending, but this, but it was excellent and hilarious! I have it on dvd, watch it over and over, but never get sick of it! Watch it, at least once!

Good, good, but too much advertisements

Author: raszi from Budapest, Hungary
4 May 2002

This movie is the best one of the new hungarian movies. It's full with new faces, and unfortunately full with advertisements. Under the movie, you must see twice every clips and bands, who sponsored this film.

I don't think, that wasn't unavoidable.

Harm...

10 points

Author: Fluffy N. (mozirajongo@yahoo.co.uk) from Budapest, Hungary
26 March 2002

We checked out this movie on its premiere night. The place was overcrowded.

I wanted to see the movie so badly because of Tibor Szervet, who played the American filmproducer, Alex. I have seen him various times on stage and he is excellent.He was my main reason to see the film.

I loved the plot, quite original. I almost fell of the chair with laughter. The soundtrack is excellent. Apparently, more people have seen this (in Hungary) than blockbusters like the Planet of the Apes or Moulin Rouge. It's really refreshing to see something so typically Hungarian sometimes.

Well done Gabor Herendi! A sequel maybe? :)