IMDb > Old School (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Old School

Old School More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 40:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Why anyone would not like this movie is beyond me

Author: kinger70 from Canada
6 June 2004

This has to be one of the funniest movies ever made. I laughed so hard during this movie. I've heard a lot of bad reviews for this movie, and I can't believe what some people have said. Apparently some copies of this movie were taped over with that godawful Jennifer Aniston debacle "Picture Perfect", because that is the only explanation that I have for the people who have said those things. Seriously, Old School has some of the funniest scenes in movie history...and I've seen a LOT of movies. Mandatory for all movie fans to see. One of the greatest movies ever created! If you haven't seen this movie yet, go get it NOW! Buy it, rent it, borrow it, steal it, whatever, just see it somehow. 10/10

A Welcome return to Reckless Abandon

Author: 2blackcats from United States
9 February 2003

Caught a preview showing last night, and I'm a little surprised myself to report that the aptly named Old School is actually a welcome return to a formula all but abandoned by Hollywood for much of the past couple of decades - that of the unapologetic, raucous, cheap laughs for cheap-laughs sake, male-bonding fraternity picture. It is Animal House. It is Porky's. It is every cliche one comes to expect from such a picture - from wild frat house parties to girls wrestling in KY jelly. And, strangely enough, it delivers... with a good cast and a fresh twist. For the group of guys that assemble to start the fraternity that is the heart of Old School are all in their early to mid thirties. They are family men. They are husbands. They are fathers. They are boyfriends involved in serious relationships. They have all grown up.

Or so thought Mitch Martin (Luke Wilson), the "Godfather" of this return to the dorm comedy. When Mitch returns from a business trip to find that his girlfriend (Juliette Lewis) has been hiding from him a rather unnerving secret sex life, the guy begins to question the choices he's made in his life. And his friends are there to help. Best friend and self-made successful businessman Beanie (played with perfect comic timing by Vince Vaughn) suggests they take advantage of Mitch's new found freedom and start a fraternity. And it isn't long before every disillusioned and disenfranchised thirtysomething wants to join - to either recreate their days of reckless youth, or finally belong after years of being an outsider.

Among such misanthropes is Frank the Tank, a character that Will Ferrell makes his own. Literally baring all for the camera, Ferrell, like Saturday night live alum John Belushi before him, plays the wild but affable frat brother - the sad clown, the loveable loser. Ferrell gets all the best lines, but a few are reserved for the sardonic Vaughn. Wilson, to his credit, plays it straight, and the supporting cast (including Leah Remini, Artie Lange, and even the usually annoying Andy Disk in a hilarious cameo) is quite good.

Certainly, Old School is not Oscar material. It's not meant to be. And it makes no pretension to comedy of the kind that My Big Fat Greek wedding brought back into vogue. This is not a feel-good romantic comedy. But it is also not to be dismissed as some insipid throwaway college romp. Old School is intentionally sophomoric (all the more so, as it is director Todd Phillips' second big studio comedy). It is genuinely funny in parts, and a healthy hour and a half return to those days of reckless abandon that many of us dreamt we either had back - or had had in the first place.

Raunch Supreme

Author: Agent10 from Tucson, AZ
14 March 2003

Much like the tradition of the raunchy flicks of the 80s, Old School encompasses the age old tradition of tactless and tasteless film creation. Buy the oddity of the situation, this is one of those films I can tolerate. Mid-life malaise couldn't have been drawn better in the lives of Mitch, Frank and Beanie. Men who serve no purpose in society, especially to their significant others. But that's the significance of the frat house. No, it isn't about being drunk and hitting on 19-year-old girls, its about reaffirming your role in society and making the inner soul feel good and relaxed. So, say what you want about the random nudity and cussing, this film is a life affirming film for all men hitting their 30s.

How can you not like this??

Author: HerGhostInTheFog_ from Canada
27 August 2005

Frank (Will Ferrell), Beenie (Vince Vaughn) and Mitch (Luke Wilson) three men who form a fraternity to legally stay in the house Mitch just purchased. This movie is jam packed with endless comedy of course it's Will Ferrell you can't help but laugh at the dude every time you see him. Old School when it hit DVD was the number one rented movie in North America thats quiet good for a movie anyone barely heard of when it first came out. But this movie caught the eyes of many fans. It should have a higher rating but I guess some people thought it was average. but to tell the truth it kicked some major comedy's to the curve. Not using so much of a teenage scene they conquered the mix of adulthood with college students forming a fan base for both a younger and older audience. By younger I mean 16 and up but usually movies either aim for 16 to 25 years of age. But this movie provides an entertainment that everyone can enjoy yes even your grandma. This movie definitely deserves a 10 and I have the power to do that. Buy this movie for god sakes it's a great movie to add to the comedy collection.

Not perfect, but a solid comedy

Author: thirdi from United States
25 June 2003

Like many others, I heard a lot of buzz about "Old School" before it was released. Things like "it's the new animal house" or "an instant classic". Well, unfortunately that didn't turn out to be the case. However, that doesn't mean its a bad movie. In fact, I loved it and would highly recommend it.

As someone in the same age group as the main characters, perhaps I related too much, but the idea is great: Three 30-something guys who are solidly on the path of a normal, mature life (marriage, kids, real job, etc...) decide to start a fraternity and recapture their college glory days. No, there's no real reason to do this, and no, its not realistic at all.

But who cares? Anyone who has ever been to a raging college party, done a few beer bongs and whippits, screamed along with some loud music, and hooked up with a random coed can immediately relate to this film. Not to mention there really are some gut-busting funny scenes throughout. Luke Wilson is the perfect actor for the steady, reserved professional guy. Will Ferrell is hilarious of course, and Vince Vaughn does what he does so well, playing the instigator trying to help a best friend have fun again. Unfortunately one of his funniest scenes only made it to the deleted scenes section of the DVD.

Which brings me to my main gripe with this movie: what was left on the cutting room floor. The deleted scenes, which can be seen on the DVD of course, aren't just trivial sections that you can understand were cut, some of them are classic. The movie was only an hour and a half long, and for the life of me I can't figure out why the 10 minutes of deleted footage didn't remain. I think some of them really would've changed the entire feel of the movie. The last act kind of changes into this "Rushmore"-ish Wes Anderson knock off, and I think at least a few of the deleted scenes would've helped it make more sense.

Despite that, this movie ranks alongside Dumb & Dumber, Meet the Parents, Kingpin, and American Pie as one of the best comedies of the last decade or so in my humble opinion. No it's not a classic, but it will stand the test of time as a very good comedy that you'll laugh at with each replay.

Best Comedy in the past 5 years.

Author: stiles9 from United States
15 November 2005

This is the best comedy since Tommy Boy. Every college educated male between the ages of 25-50 knows someone just like Frank and Beanie. Absolutely hilarious. Will Farrell is perfect as Frank but Vince Vaughn steals the show. Half of everything Beanie says in this movie is just classic. The plot goes a little off towards the end, but it doesn't matter because my friends and I have been repeating some of the lines for the last 2 years. With all the really lame comedies that have come out in the past 5 years it is nice to see something that will stand the test of time- a modern Animal House. A little too cheesy towards the end but still a top 10 comedy of all time and a must own on DVD.

Thus far the funniest movie of 2003

Author: DunnDeeDaGreat from Woodbridge, VA
22 February 2003

I just got out of Old School and let me say I laughed myself silly. Todd Phillps has made a great follow up to Road Trip and the same way Tom Green stole the former, Will Ferrel steals every scene he's in. Luke Wilson and Vince Vaughn also have equally funny scenes. If you want a funny movie then this is for you.

Great cast turns old material into fresh laughs

Author: CMUltra (collectormanultra@yahoo.com)
7 July 2003

*Slight Spoilers*

Is this a classic? No, not even in the "frat comedy" genre, but it *is* funny! And, for a comedy, that's enough.

Some jokes are worn, and some set-ups will make you groan. But there are plenty of laugh-out-loud moments thanks to the fantastic cast.

The material may be old but you understand immediately that Vaughn, Wilson and Ferrell are having a blast making this film. Their energy permeates the movie. From their delivery to body language to timing, all three are on target. The supporting cast of unusual characters adds to the joy.

My favorite is Vaughn. Though the movie revolves around Wilson's character, Vaughn is the glue that keeps it all together. Leah Remini has a too brief turn as Vaughn's wife and steals her few scenes. Jeremy Piven is a wonderfully hateful Dean.

Lewis' character was the only weak point. I know she was meant to be one of the mechanisms leading to Wilson's new "house", but it seemed weak and out of place.

If you're not offended by raunchy comedy, this movie will satisfy! Rent it, grab some popcorn and enjoy! Be careful drinking your cola though, you may end up snorting it out your nose.

6 out of 10.

An hilarious comedy

Author: (jean_mach@hotmail.com) from France
20 May 2005

I saw Old School yesterday night on a french channel completely by chance. I knew nothing about it. It's a wonderful movie. I hadn't laughed like this since years. The main characters are caricatures but hilarious (especially Franck the tank...), the story is completely stupid (but fantastic) and the parties these thirty year old men who don't want to grow up organize are contagious and push you to go back to university with a good beer... Some celebrities make successful appearances (Juliette Lewis, Sean William Scott...) playing completely deranged characters, adding energy and fun to this well rhythmic comedy.

Old School reminds me Fight Club for the notorious "Godfather" as famous in this high school as Tyler Durden and a lot of incredibly funny sequences of this movie would be adopted by Monty Python themselves.

And above all, Old Scholl spares us an horrible ending like : "Well, I was a child, making mistakes, but now I understand a lot of things, honey, and I want to go back with you, our house, kids, dogs, canaries and God knows what else...". This film remains faithful to its principles and THAT'S GREAT!!

What else can I say : see this movie and be in a good mood for the rest of the day; I'm gonna see it once more now.

Thank you Todd Phillips.

#1 comedy of all time

Author: Stew from United States
15 April 2005

This is the ultimately guy comedy of all time. I'll be quoting this movie until i'm 80 years old. The plot is original and hilarious and you can watch it from front to back 10 times in a row and still laugh every time. I'm a huge Will Ferrell fan and he doesn't disappoint. As Frank "the tank" he manages to be one of the funniest characters in movie history. This is a movie that most guys can relate to. If you've ever wanted to get back to the days of partying and girls, yet are stuck in the boredom of everyday life, then this movie will have you rolling around. Hecks, i'm even contemplating starting up my own fraternity. I can only hope that there will be a sequel to this one. I'll be the first in line to see it when it opens.

Page 1 of 40:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]