IMDb > Fubar (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fubar

Fubar More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Two headbangers from Calgary live the destructive rock n' roll life while dealing with their fear of mortality.

Author: Don Walkinshaw (don_walkinshaw@hotmail.com) from Aurora, Ontario, Canada
5 June 2002

FUBAR (an obscene acronym from the military) is an amazing accomplishment. It tore onto the scene at the Sundance Film Festival in 2001, after being turned down by the Toronto fest. The classic success story of guys who maxed out their credit cards (including their Canadian Tire cards) and took a giant leap into the uncertain future - and it paid off. Telefilm Canada decided to fund the movie (after it was already shot on digital video), and "beefed" the budget up to $350,000 (Cdn.) They did a good job promoting the movie through a soundtrack featuring Sum 41, Gob, Sloan, etc. doing classic Canadian headbangin' tunes. This movie has it all: hilarity and drunken hijinx, intense drama, and incredible acting (although I wonder how much the beer had to do with this). Go see this movie, it is much more than the trailers would suggest: much more than guys acting loud and stupid. It's actually a touching film, with a look at the two main character's fear of mortality.

F----- Up Beyond All Recognition

Author: davetex
12 August 2004

Recently I got to watch two films that were shot in and around my home town of Calgary.

One film was "Open Range" and the other was "Fubar".

Both films are focused on the reactions of two close friends to the trials that life can throw at you. Both films involve a lot of walking around, talking and strange interactions with other characters in the film. Both films feature people who basically wrote, directed and starred in the movie. Both feature lots of cool alberta scenery and both are worth watching. However, while one film is a carefully crafted yet somehow lifeless product that is ultimately a chore to watch the other is a throbbing wild thing that wiggles like a fish in your hand.

The great flick here is Fubar.

I was mesmerized from the start, mostly because I knew all of the locations intimately. Then I realized, I also knew these two guys intimately. I grew up with them. We all played hockey in the living room and busted stuff. We shotgunned pilsners and we all went "camping" and did hideous amounts of damage to ourselves and those around us in the process and we only survived through sheer luck and by keeping the gas pedal floored and not looking back. Man, its bang on right.

This film captures certain of the unique qualities of being "Canadian" better than any other film that I have seen. Nothing Second City or Bob and Doug Mackenzie ever did compares to the genius that made this film. Its not the goofiness or the idiocy, its the spirit of these two bozos that wins your heart.

Bravo, I'm proud of these guys.

Giver!

An in-depth examination of two headbangerus canadianus specimens.

Author: Joe Adonis
27 November 2004

Although filmed in Calgary, any Canadian can identify the unique cultural phenomenon of the aging headbanger. This movie is a brilliant little mock-umentary that is funny and quirky enough to become a cult classic, and is definitely worth seeing. We are taken into the world of Dean, a wannabe bass player, and Terry, a swamper in a furniture factory. The two buddies give the audience a candid look at their lives, captured by documentary filmmaker Farrel Mitchner, whose accidental death is captured on film. The actors fool anybody who isn't aware into thinking that this is a genuine documentary, so it's fun to watch with an unsuspecting friend. A Canadian comedy accessible to any open-minded North American viewer.

A real canadian story

Author: dean l from edmonton
12 June 2002

This movie was so well acted that i cant believe they were not really drinking all nite. There are so many parts of the movie that I lived through. The camping trip was classic, from not trying to set up the tent until you are too drunk to jumping through the fire. The story had to be written by a true 80's headbanger and is a trip down hazy memory lane. This movie wont appeal to everyone, but with the success of the Osbournes there is a lot of people wanting to jump on the bangerwagon. This movie will help them learn what it takes to be a hard core banger.

Terrificly Uncomfortable

Author: paulkayefan from United States
11 March 2005

Honestly the first 30 minutes of this film is fairly painful as we watch the main characters played by Dave Lawrence and Paul Spence go through their childhood, as twenty-somethings with meaningless jobs and non existent friends and six pack after six pack. Farrel, the documentary filmmaker, decides to follow these Canadian fellows and make a film on their "so-called" life. As one character discovers a health issue that turns his life upside down, the two characters (and the filmmaker) start a journey into the woods and mother nature to excise their fear. It's only at this point that the film really gets going and the director is finally able to take the saran wrap off the characters and let them emote something more than pure silliness. The production value is low but the story while simple is executed well. Look forward for the Director's next film about a deaf deejay: All Gone Pete Tong.

I laughed so hard I snorted my pilsener, eh?

Author: cristo111 from Toronto
12 December 2003

Just Give'r!

If you've ever wondered whatever became of those stoners from High School 10-15 years ago, look no further than this hilarious yet serious mockumentary.

****possible spoilers****

At the great opening sequence, which is essentially a lesson on how NOT to drive, I knew this was going to be a hilarious movie. But I was also pleasantly surprised at the ironically serious message at the heart of the movie - hedonistic escapism may be fun for a while, but ultimately everyone has to face reality, however grim it may be. This is a coming-of-age movie about a couple of guys who should have came of age years ago.

Paul Spence and David Lawrence are instantly recognizable and genuinely believable in their headbanger roles. Michael Dowse does an excellent job of balancing the humour (sometimes light, sometimes dark) with the pathos to make a funny yet touching tale of cancer.

Just Give'R, indeed

Author: MrCurler from Canada
25 May 2002

A great little bargain-bin film. The two leads are totally believable as your average clueless neighborhood headbangers. We've all known guys like this, and their dubious exploits resonate even as you double-up with laughter. Oh, to be able to join these clowns in turning off adult responsibility and "just give'r", if only for a moment.

Great improvisation based on a three-page story outline. With over 50 hours originally shot, I hope the film does well enough to allow a DVD with additional footage. I saw it opening night in Toronto with the theatre about 1/3 full.

For now, I'm off to get the soundtrack.

Some truly funny surprising moments

Author: SnoopyStyle
28 June 2014

This is a stoner rock mockumentary. I love the opening credits that tells the audience that this is fictional but apologizing to anybody participating in the film who thought it was real. It's 2000 and filmmaker Farrel Mitchner (Gordon Skilling) documents two head banging friends Dean Murdoch (Paul Spence) and Terry Cahill (David Lawrence). The boys are trying to get Troy nicknamed Tron to party.

This is filled with great bits of comedy. The two leads fully commit to these characters. There are truly funny moments that surprises. The natural comparison is to Spinal Tap. Spinal Tap is always obviously fictional filled with great improvisational comedians. This feels like real people doing a real indie. These guys would fit into any Cops episode. Giver!

My public Opinion

Author: Pam Anne
12 January 2014

Opinion - Ferral Mitchner may he rest in peace. To exploit a death on film and to have the Telefilm of Canada fund it, it's a shame, what does the family think of showing his death to the world? I just saw it on TV last night and was shocked they showed his death and shocked that these guys are even.... trailer park boys was scripted but this to be funded all because they show a man dying, appalled.

Opinion - Clearly he was distressed before going into the water, all others seem to be going in feet first, why was he encouraged to dive in? Clearly rocks below...little suspicious.

Opinion - I do hope that it is the last of this documentary exploiting these poor fella's.

Please reconsider.

Bangers at their Best

Author: brucekea from Toronto, Ontario
9 January 2002

I recently saw a press screening of FUBAR and was blown away. This is a very entertaining film. It's a fictional documentary but by no means a "mockumentary". There is a deep honesty in the performances and throughout the film. It speaks to the "banger" in us all. Whether you went through your phase of shot-gunning beers and sporting Megadeath t-shirts or not, one still recognizes the self destructive rebellious side we all have. And there is also a profound truth of friendship here. As well, you will simply laugh. A lot. See this film!

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]