IMDb > "Princess Nine" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Princess Nine" More at IMDbPro »"Princess Nine kisaragi joshi kou yakuu-bu" (original title)

anime that's in a 'Leauge of Their Own'...

Author: HackWorthless from USA
20 January 2002

i was really surprised by this series...

the story centers around Ryo Hayakawa, a happy-go-lucky 15-year-old schoolgirl who with an incredible left arm. like her late father, she's is an exceptional pitcher. were she a boy, she would have easily been recruited by one of any prestigious Japanese High School baseball teams for national competition.

enter Keiko Himuro, Chairwoman of Kisaragi Girls' High School. for whatever reason, she wants to field an all-girl baseball team to compete against the boy-dominated Japanese National High School Baseball Association. in fact, not only does she what to compete, she wants to win: her overall goal is to see her girls go straight to Koshien Stadium, the site where the NHSBA champion is determined.

Ryo soon becomes the centerpiece of Kisaragi Girls' Baseball Team and race to Koshien is on.

viewers are introduced to an eclectic cast of characters such as Shinsaku Kido, the hard-drinkin' coach of the girls' team who holds a few unorthodox views on training; the extroverted Hikaru Yashimoto, a talented softball player eager to make her mark in baseballl; Seira Morimura, a former high school track star who seemingly is heading down a path of self-destruction; tomboy Koharu Hotta, a girl who swings a mean stick and whose love for the game is second only to her devotion to her father; and tennis champion Izumi Himuro, the Chairwoman's daughter who strives hard to win games and harder to win the affection of her mother.

this is more than a story about baseball: it's a story about friends, family and the ties that bind.

part high school soap opera, part sports drama... 'Princess Nine' has something for everyone. and it's a refreshing break for the 'big robot' genre of anime.

Pri9 is about feelings and emotions

Author: thibros from Helsinki, Finland
20 May 2003

I was really surprised by this, and after starting the first episode, it was impossible to stop. The emotions created by this anime were intense to me.

Ok, first it's good to know the rules of baseball, and even better if you like baseball. Then you have to like anime with no "shooting" and no "mekka", just little action. But lots of feelings. It's also about girls (and women) in a land (Japan) dominated by men, and if it were more popular, it might be able to change the minds of people a bit. But there aren't even many fanpages of this anime.

Each of the nine players (and 6 other main characters) is a believable person with its own background, hopes and feelings. Every emotion I could imagine is found somewhere in the 26 episodes, and there was one scene that made me see my own life in a way I never did before in my 34 years so far.

Of course the story itself is pretty predictable. If there's a threat that the team would be dissolved early in the series, I knew that it wouldn't be the end, because what would they do in the other episodes?

It's the way they go there that is interesting. There are little surprises, and when I thought, this is now getting a little ridiculous and like something that wouldn't happen in reality, the story turns again and makes it all very believable again.

I'll stop now, because anime like this will never be really popular. Most people only notice what they want to notice, and then it's just a Sports Anime, or some Shoujo. But keep the DVD set in mind when you don't know what to wish for your birthday, or something. Or when it's on TV, if that's ever going to happen.

One more thing, the music and voice acting are really good, always fits to the scenes. They have good voice actors with experinces from Gundam and more, and I just loved hearing "Nausicaa" again. She (Shimamoto Sumi) has also done the mother in Totoro, and is the mother of Ryo here.

I was introduced to anime just recently through Spirited Away, and until now didn't find any other anime that created feelings and emotions which felt real. And I've looked a lot. I'm glad I found this.