IMDb > State Property (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Not my kind of movie

Author: Mark Hall (mbhall2003) from Winnipeg, Manitoba
11 November 2003

At first, I thought I would enjoy State Property, merely because I am a big fan of rap music, and there are a lot of rap artists in the cast, but I was wrong. State Property turned out not to be a film that I am too crazy about. Watching the trailer, I don't mind, but that's about it. After watching only the first 13 minutes of the film, it seemed to me that the concept of making a movie was used as an excuse to let people swear. Sure, rap artists swear a lot, and I was expecting that, but there was so much profanity and slang, that I found it very difficult to follow along. I also didn't see much point to what was going on in the film. (I don't want to give anything away for those people who plan on seeing it.) Don't get me wrong, I've seen a few films like this before, but with those films, it was easier to follow along with the plot. With State Property, that just wasn't going to happen. And after watching the first 13 minutes of the film, I knew that I had seen enough. I honestly felt that seeing the whole film would be a waste of my time. Feel free to check out State Property if you wish, but have a dictionary handy, the dialogue can be tough to interpret and be aware, this movie, from what I've seen, is nowhere near comedic.

Not really good

Author: charlies123 from United States
17 February 2010

I was hoping that i might enjoy this after reading some of the positive reviews about it. Also, I have liked Jay-Z in some other acting roles, and I like some of his music. Unfortunately, this movie totally sucks. Beans looked like he was going to be a pretty interesting character at first. But then the movie descended into pointless violence and every other worth was either the 'n' word or a curse word. The plot was non existent, the story just rambles about from one violent scene to another. And Jay-Z's character, who I was really looking forward too, was just plain silly and completely unbelievable. This movie was a complete, utter, total waste of time. I should have just taken a nap, I am sure I would have been much more entertained by a dream.

So awful it left me in convulsions of laughter at the end.

Author: jcaucig
5 October 2003

So awful it left me in convulsions of laughter at the end. But beware there is a lot of bad filmmaking to sit through to get to the pay off. Oh the writing is exquistely bad, which helps to enhance the bad acting. The sound track is amazingly bad considering all the hip-hoppers involved in this project. It's a runaway parody of bad music video that lasts 90 minutes too long. It's not the best bad movie bad ( Deathship ), but the ending is so absurd, I was left in convulsions of laughter.

Another rehashed Scarface gangster picture

Author: ryan41084 from U.S.A
2 December 2004

Let me start off first by saying, that just by looking at the cast I came to the conclusion that this movie would be terrible. But I decided to give it a chance, and I regret it because I wasted an hour and an half where I could have been doing something a bit more constructive rather than seeing senseless violence. The movie starts off with the introduction of the character Beans, a local drug dealer. Feeling frustrated with his mediocre street credibility, he proceeds to start knocking off the local competition.

All is well until he bucks heads with Untouchable Jay, or some name along that line, and engages in a all out gang war. In the end he gets 3 life sentences, emphasizing that Beans is indeed State Property. I would write more, but I am staring to get a headache just thinking about this movie and the time I wasted watching it. And even if you have a hour and half to spare, go do something else, do not subject you brain to such mush.

A Roc-A-Fella Crime Story

Author: David Lipkins (davesmooth@hotmail.com) from United States
9 April 2004

This movie is straight comedy. I was cracking up watching it. Beanie Sigel is "Beans" a psychotic Pilly drug dealer who is bent on making it all the way to the top of the drug game. His method is direct and to the point. If you don't join his crew, he's going to kill you. I real offer that you can't refuse.

Damon Dash and Shawn Carter (Jay-Z) are rival drug dealers who are at the top of the drug game. Dash is very funny in his role. You can hardly understand what the hell Jay-Z is saying. The comedy is that as Beans comes up the ladder towards Dash, he doesn't even know who the hell they are, and even tells him as much. However, Dash, who is Damon in this movie, quickly lets him know that he can still be street when necessary, by kidnapping Beans's woman. (That phone exchange is classic!!)

This is a straight to video movie, but it is worth watching. I crack up every time I watch it. The acting isn't Oscar worthy, but it's decent. The women in here are attractive, especially Jay-Z's hit girl at the end. The plot is basic, so you won't have a problem following along. Worth a look.

This movie should be confiscated

Author: Newsense from United States
1 March 2009

I love Beanie Sigel. He is the most underrated rapper out of Rocafella Records but this movie stunk like week-old roadkill. Beanie plays a bully who runs around with a group of thugs that beat up on people in their hometown and issue them a warning that goes "get down or lay down"! The main flaw of the movie is that nobody can act. Beanie is so laughable in his role that sometimes I crack up when he comes on screen. He is not the only one who should stick to rapping. Memphis Bleek's character was a riot for all the wrong reasons(when he shot a Beanie's car for honking the horn at him, I laughed so hard that I peed a little. Damon Dash and Jay-z are stiff as mannequins in this movie also. You cant tell that the director knew that this film was rank and told them to keep going anyway. The funniest part is when Beanie's lawyers tell him to cop a plea for a guy he just shot. Lol! His reaction was a hoot! In short this is a bad movie simple and plain. If you want to watch it to see how bad it is then fine. But you were warned.

Its a movie of rappers, not actors, remember that...

Author: contayjis from United States
10 August 2005

Yes the acting was garbage, I will admit that, and the story was NOT original at all, but I still really enjoyed the movie. Granted I am a big fan of Roc-A-Fella records and all of their artists. If you are a fan of rap, or low budget movies you will like it...Personally I thought Dame's character was the most enjoyable of them all, especially the scene with him and Jigga man talking in the front of his Benz. Not as good of a rap movie as Belly but still a pretty good hood flick. The acting, filming, dialog and story are NOTHING SPECIAL or ORIGINAL, but it does have enough action and jokes to keep it entertaining if you ENJOY films of this genre. If you don't like low-budget/rap/hood/gangsta movies then stay away!

Defecation on Film

Author: crizlunati2 from United States
10 August 2005

How much money was paid to the distributor to sign off on the absolute worst film I have ever seen? The only reason I saw it was that I was sick at home for 3 days and caught it on HBO. Why would an African American write this script, direct and produce this and finally watch it? I don't understand. What was the point of this defecation besides the product placement? This movie is a self-inflicted insult upon anyone that actually likes this movie. Goes to show you the artistic edge a moronic grunt has when he/she is handed a pile of cash faster than it takes to read a book. If I haven't thrown up already then I'd probably.....oh wait, I just did.

Who dun stole the doggone script?

Author: p-stepien from United Kingdom
20 October 2011

Fade in. Show picture of hommies. Enter voice-over. Beans (Beanie Sigel) tells us what a dog eat dog world this is. All about the Benjamins y'all. Enter titles sequence - lots of pole dancing, close shots of silicon enhanced nipples and focus on ho's wiggling that thang! Camera focus on Beanie and Baby Boy getting down with the girlies. Enter brain light-bulb. Beanie thinks: Yo, had enough of being a poor mother... Time to get rich or die trying. Six weeks later: Beans, Baby Boy and a couple of thugs start randomly shooting drug dealers in broad daylight to take over their business. No police or thugs to hand out pay-back. A year later: Beans rules all, moves out to the suburb, but still shoots, kills or whatever. A dozen or so incoherent sequences of hood crime idiocy later the movie ends. Yo! That was so not cool!

Bad acting, terrible phony script (or more like random parts of scripts clinging together with the use of duct tape) and a tiresome 90 minutes of low-budget pointlessness. Not much more to add but honestly avoid at all costs. It may be low-budget, but that does not take the director off the hook of making something as tacky and superficial as this. Why the hell did anyone make a second part?

Shamefully bad

Author: dogglebe from USA
19 December 2011

This movie should've been called 'Urban Stereotypes For Dummies' as it uses every cliché imaginable. The story is a Scarface-wannabe, street thugs rising up in the drug world. While Scarface may have glorified this type of life, this movie just dragged out a plot that it couldn't successfully deliver. The acting is non-existent. I've seen better cold readings than this. And the directing just plain stunk. Too many close ups. The director should consider using medium and long shots on occasion.

I'm going to change my cable provider if movies like this are the best they can offer.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]