IMDb > The Other Side of the Bed (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
El otro lado de la cama

The Other Side of the Bed More at IMDbPro »El otro lado de la cama (original title)

Refreshing, intelligent, buy or rent today! No spoilers or useful information of any kind.

Author: tcw-4 from London, England
21 November 2004

I was frankly getting a little bored even of World Cinema until I happened upon this little gem. It's everything Dennis Potter's (r.i.p) Singing Detective could/should have been but wasn't.

As you'll appreciate from that summary, it has acting and singing - but don't let that put you off - PLEASE don't let that put you off. I hate musicals myself but this is FANTASTIC. Witty, wry, sexy - the lot.

If you don't learn anything from this movie, can I stay at your house?

It is a wonderful film. Watch it. Buy it. Steal it if you have to.

Smart, Spanish comedy about infidelity

Author: stevenfain from Seattle WA USA
10 October 2004

This movie is well written, well directed, well acted, and fresh.

The sex is integral to the movie, and only modest amounts of skin are shown.

This is great comedy.

It's subtle, and deserves a viewing.

You are at first drawn into a plot involving infidelity, but the behavior slowly spreads to all four of the primary characters, and by movie's end the entanglements are complete and there is much fun to be had.

Do rent this.

fabulous

Author: Chris_Docker from United Kingdom
10 May 2004

An engaging song and dance musical about two couples who get off with each other's partners. All very light hearted feelgood adult stuff in the style of many a light Shakespeare or Mozart comedy, but updated to include lots of nitty-gritty. The cast are drop dead gorgeous, they have mottos like "there's not enough f***ing in the world" and are ultimately tolerant enough about each other's misdemeanours and tendency to be economical with the truth. All politically correct, with lots of mixed sexual orientation to keep it bubbling, a private detective who gets it all on video (after solving the mystery of how JFK committed suicide and how Marylin Monroe never really died), unexpected exposures and reverses, and it all turns out happily at the end like some Oscar Wilde farce. Not to be missed.

outrageous feelgood movie for adults

Author: Chris_Docker from United Kingdom
10 May 2004

An engaging song and dance musical about two couples who get off with each other's partners. All very light hearted feelgood adult stuff in the style of many a light Shakespeare or Mozart comedy, but updated to include lots of nitty-gritty. The cast are drop dead gorgeous, they have mottos like "there's not enough f*cking in the world" and are ultimately tolerant enough about each other's misdemeanours and tendency to be economical with the truth. All politically correct, with lots of mixed sexual orientation to keep it bubbling, a private detective who gets it all on video (after solving the mystery of how JFK committed suicide and how Marylin Monroe never really died), unexpected exposures and reverses, and it all turns out happily at the end like some Oscar Wilde farce. Not to be missed.

A Boisterous, Almost Neurosis-Free Sex Comedy

Author: Ralph Michael Stein (riglltesobxs@mailinator.com) from New York, N.Y.
13 March 2004

[The cast isn't known in the U.S.-check the IMDb home page for this film for the full listing.]

Spanish director Emilio Martinez-Lazaro isn't as well known as his contemporary, much studied and highly regarded Pedro Almodovar. If "The Other Side of the Bed" represents his best work, I hope he and his films become more familiar to U.S. audiences soon.

Sparklingly clever and funny, this is a relationships comedy in an almost opera bouffe style with a measured dose of slapstick. Music - songs with funny lyrics (you have to follow the subtitles carefully)- and sprightly choreography more than highlight the story. Martinez-Lazaro creatively uses song and dance to bridge narrative portions, summarize a fast shifting plot-line and bring the viewer along in what otherwise would, however good the acting, be a fairly conventional and oft-told story of couples checking out their best friends in the sack.

And that story is:

Javier deeply loves the beautiful Sylvia and they have an uninhibited sex life. Paula dumps her adoring boyfriend,Pedro, for another man but she won't tell him who the guy is. He's Javier and she hounds him to tell Sylvia their relationship is over. Javier can't bring himself to do that so he continues enjoying vigorous bedroom calisthenics with both his adoring Sylvia and the increasingly irritated and losing patience Paula. Pedro sobs on Sylvia's shoulder. He's obsessed with Paula and has even hired a truly wacko P.I. (the guy wrote a book claiming J.F.K. killed himself) to tail Paula. Guess where unloading his grief on sympathetic Sylvia leads.

The women and the men both have friends also dealing with relationship issues. Everyone is likable-not a bad ass character in the whole film. Two women, Jennifer and Pilar, have small but highly humorous roles that add to the central quartet's roiling, almost out-of-control issues.

"The Other Side of the Bed" seems a bit like a Spanish Woody Allen film and "Everyone Says I Love You" springs first to mind. But this isn't a derivative take on a terrific Woody flick. Martinez-Lazaro has neither patience with nor interest in Allen's quest to uncover every known neurosis (no one in this film is remotely anhedonic) nor does he look for barely concealed powerful emotions as Almodovar does. His characters want stability as a second course to lust but they're not examining their childhoods, their relationships with mom or the impact of a turbulent world on their amorous activities. These folks want pure joy and they often find and express that wonderful quality in and with each other. Sylvia, Paula, Pedro and Javier are, I suspect, iconographic representations of what many of us fantasize about in terms of our own relationship experiences (usually fruitlessly). How can any viewer not like these young, hip, affluent libido-driven bed-hoppers?

Sundance scores here by making this flick available on DVD. Be sure to keep reading subtitles carefully as the end credits role.

The cast must have had a blast making "The Other Side of the Bed." Neither side, by the way, is suitable for kids as there's a fair bit of nudity and simulated(?) sex.

9/10.

It's Really Weird How Our American "Culture" Has Permeated Others Around the World.

Author: KissEnglishPasto from Pasto, Colombia
22 October 2013

............................................................from Pasto,Colombia...Via: L.A. CA., CALI, COLOMBIA and ORLANDO, FL

Released in the U.S. as: The OTHER SIDE Of The BED. Clearly, those who know Spanish will agree, the International release TITLE outside of the U.S. is a much better rendering: The WRONG SIDE Of The BED! (In BOTH cases, NO definite article would've been better still-The WRONG SIDE Of BED)

The dance numbers in this Spanish Musical(?)had tunes that obviously imitated or, at the very least, were greatly influenced by U.S. Rock n' Roll from the late-50's. Yet, since the dancers and actors were ALL in their 20's/30's and had been exposed to that style of music, at least occasionally, from infancy, they made it seem very much a part of them and not at all foreign. I suppose it really IS very much a part of them; you be the judge of whether that's good or bad!

Musicals are certainly not my favorite genre. WHY the(?)in Spanish musical(?)above? WRONG SIDE starts off with ample dancing and singing in its initial 20/25 minutes. Also, there's enough in the final 20. Not much in between, however, and thus, the(?)!

Initially, I wasn't all that happy with the singing, which, overall, exhibited a semi-pro level, and found the dancing only acceptable. It lacked the millimetric precision and synchronization seen in U.S productions. But you know what? That grew on me! It bestowed a natural air, a certain warmth, to the film, IMO. (So refreshing was this aspect, it added a 1/2* to my rating!)

There's a good share of semi-nudity and some sex in WRONG SIDE, but it is portrayed in an extremely matter-of-fact, mundane fashion that keeps it out of the soft-core category. (I may be getting old, but I'm still a guy, so the female eye candy added another 1/2*!)

Shortcomings? Of course, there were some. Since several scenes and some of the acting were over-the-top, perhaps Emilio Martinez Lazaro's direction was a little heavy-handed. Watch his 8 minute INTRO and let's take up a collection to fix his teeth! 7*.....ENJOY/DISFRUTELA!

Any comments, questions or observations, in English or Español, are most welcome!

KissEnglishPasto@Yahoo.com

Oh... my...goodness... it's a musical!?!?

Author: (paintbrush_2003) from USA
20 March 2004

First of all, I love musicals, but I like to know beforehand that that's what I'm getting myself into. Ummm... we were enjoying this one as a fun romantic comedy when all of a sudden the male lead breaks out into song and a bunch of dancers appear out of no where!?! Not that it's bad, it's just that, well, NOTHING was mentioned about it on the packaging [again,do the people who write the blurbs actually watch the movies??]... The songs are in keeping with the overall tone of the film, and the dancing quite funny [hopefully intentionally so], but it's just that when you're not expecting them it can be one of those "Oh...my... we've rented a musical!?!?" It's a fun and funny movie, just be warned.

"Grease" meets "Bob & Carol and Ted & Alice"

Author: David Ferguson (fergusontx@gmail.com) from Dallas, Texas
19 August 2003

Greetings again from the darkness. What a delightful, odd romp of a film this is! Romantic Comedy is not the full label as the dramatic twists and musical interludes give the film a full body effect. Focusing on the male leads, Javier and Pedro, we are offered a glimpse into the insecurities of men in relationships. Both actors are excellent and Guillermo Toledo is truly remarkable as the hang-dog Pedro who has every reason to experience low self-esteem. Many outright hilarious moments and quite a few poignant ones as well. Paz Vega ("Sex with Lucia") dominates the screen in her scenes and has the female 6th sense to know what is happening even before it does! Let's just say most American filmgoers will struggle a bit with the pace of the film as the musical interludes purposefully keep one off balance. I will say the singing and dancing is comically bad, but I assume it was meant to be. If not, I don't want to know! Definitely one to check out when you are in the mood for something a little different.

A Sexy, Delightful and Witty Comedy About Betrayal and Infidelity

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
26 May 2005

When Paula (Natalia Verbeke) leaves her mate Pedro (Guillermo Toledo), he misses her and looks for comfort with his best friends, Javier (Ernesto Alterio) and Sonia (Paz Vega). Paula is having an affair with Javier. The cuckold Pedro tries to find who is the secret lover of Paula, and hires a private eye. Meanwhile, while comforting Pedro, Sonia has one night stand with him and Javier thinks she is cheating him with her lesbian friend Lucia (Nathalie Poza).

"El Otro Lado de la Cama" is a sexy, delightful and witty comedy about betrayal and infidelity. The performances are very natural, the women are very sexy and gorgeous and in the end it is very pleasant entertainment. Paz Vega and Natalia Verbeke are really delicious and a collyrium for the men's eyes with their perfect bodies and breasts and beautiful faces. The conspiracy theories of the private eye Sagaz (obs: his name is also a joke: it means sagacious, smart in Spanish)(Ramón Barea) about John Kennedy, Marylin Monroe and Elvis Presley are hilarious. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "O Outro Lado da Cama" ("The Other Side of the Bed")

Another good Latin/Spanish Movie

Author: gazineo-1 from Brasilia, Brazil
15 March 2004

Lightheaded romantic comedy about two couples who changes partners and find their own way to happiness and understanding. The movie has the charm, witty and vitality of Latin movies (especially movies produced in Argentina and Spanish) but is far from be a great achievement on the genre or even a memorable piece of work. Mixture of love story, comedy and musical, 'Otro lado de la cama,El' give us a good work from the director, some ingenious scenes (like the scene in the theather, where Pedro(played by Guillermo Del Toro)appear as the 'Melon Kid') and a sympathetic cast, where you cand find the beauty of Paz Vega and Natalia Verbecke. In fact, the movie is a good amusement but don't expect to find the same intensity and impressive ideas thay you can fin in movies directed by Almodovar (at least, some of them) or Alejandro Almenábar.

I give this a 6 (six).