IMDb > Deliver Us from Eva (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Surprisingly Warm!!!

Author: nifabs
8 August 2003

Despite criticism, this manages to deliver a bit of comedy and drama.

Gabrielle Union gives a standout performance as the unbelievable Eva Dandridge who needs someone like Ray to knock her from her high horse but she's that way cos she's taken too many knocks from life. She is pure evil.

LL Cool J is a bit too neat or not too expressive maybe it's the role maybe not but he cuts a slightly bland figure.

Between the two of them,they manage to create a cracking chemistry that sizzles and makes all other characters pale by comparison.

This movie was touching and sincere for a Black movie(a trait which is played down in most Black flicks), there's been a recent departure from the gangsta and hood epics or drugs and money flicks.

Gabrielle Union was a delight to watch as ice queen Eva Dandridge(who's been jilted by a one time-fiancée), watching over her sisters with a ruthless passion and closely guarding her heart against intrusion. I kinda felt sympathy when I realised she'd given up on her life (when her parents died)to raise and care for her siblings, but the time came to take a backseat, she moved on and was woman enough to breach the gap she'd created between her siblings and their men.

LL Cool J was smooth as the player who took her on a bet. I admire the way he brought Eva down to earth, that's what women respect in a man. Knowing your own self worth, never kowtowing to them but meeting them at the right point and giving in only if need be. This may sound sexist but show me a sista or woman who'd respect her man if he yessed to her all the time. Not One!!

Gabrielle and J simply stole the movie, the supporting cast are just supporting(no insults meant), there was no one who came close to touching the two leads not because they were the stars but they infused strength and dynamism into their respective roles, they breathed life into them...

It's good to see Black movies with a forte like this; it portrays us as intelligent and coming of age, which we did centuries ago anyway!!

LEAD ME INTO THIS!!!!

Not just another "black" movie

Author: LARRYLOVE711 from United States
18 June 2003

A nice normal movie that happens to have an all black cast. I don't feel it was a "black movie". Cultural idioms aside, anyone could relate to the language and themes of the movie. Nicely done. I feel Gabby U really performed well in her role...made me forget it was her. LL gave a great performance as well. The worst was the Royale as the gay guy...just not happening: He needed to be more flamboyant to be funny...the lo-key thing didn't work, though he had some otherwise funny lines....the director MUST've held him back, cause I've seem this guy in action before...he's as funny as anybody, if not funnier than most.

All said, I'll probably buy this one on DVD. I hope these types of movies continue to be made.

one.

Very Enjoyable

Author: miken-3 (kataman1@verizon.net) from United States
24 January 2005

I caught this movie on cable the other night never hearing about it before and I was pleasantly surprised by this well-made and highly entertaining film.

Three friends hire a Romeo (Cool Jay) type "player" to try to romance and dump the ultimate "dragon lady" (Eva) who manipulates their women and eat up and spits out men without a thought. The idea is that the Romeo will dump Eva making her leave and then they can have control over their women and their lives.

Not to give anything away but the longer Cool Jay "romances" Eva, he finds himself forgetting his purpose and falling for Eva. Also, as Cool Jay gets closer to Eva, life only gets worse for the three friends that hired him, much to their chagrin.

Cool Jay gives an excellent and believable performance as the "player" and the actress that plays Eva is also perfect. There are several hilarious scenes that had me laughing out loud. The "Women only" club that is the beauty parlor has several enjoyable scenes as well.

Good execution, mostly...

Author: Don Muvo from Encinitas, California
6 August 2003

The director, screenwriters, cinematographer and the two leads deserve the warmest praise for what they have done here. The primary defect in this film is in the performances of the six supporting "brothers" and sisters roles. Only in the scenes where they supported the main characters were these characters worth watching. This is probably partly due to weaknesses in the script and partly to the weaknesses of the actors. It was even obvious from some of the outtakes on the DVD, that the brothers were supposed to have had outright murder in mind, this was thankfully edited out of the print, so it's obvious that the script could not have been perfect as originally submitted.

The director/screenwriter Gary Hardwick has mentioned that he had to adapt the original script to African American culture and shows himself here to be very talented. What is obvious from the fine performances of LL Cool J and Gabrielle Union, is that he certainly could have paid more attention to the minor roles than he did.

Such an uneven movie! LL Cool J and Gabrielle Union deserve a 10. Cinematography, a 10. Script, an 8 - the story is basically good - as a romantic comedy, it works! Director gets an 7. The rest of the brothers and sisters get a 3, if not lower. I'm thinking if I could send Hardwick an email and ask why, he would answer, "The studio got what they paid for." What a shame. There are a lot of moments where this film hits the ball out of the park, and so it needs to be recommended.

Nice Movie Overall

Author: Mr_Sensitive from THAILAND, BANGKOK
8 February 2005

Another movie base on William Shakespeare - The Taming of the Shrew but this time a black and older people version. (No racism intended)

Three Friends hired Ray to escort Eva, so that she would be out of their marriage life after she influence too much on their wife.

Though I have seen this in Ten Things I Hate About You, I still very much enjoying this movie and somewhat surpass my expectation. LL Cool J is great here and the flow of the movie is just right.

Overall this is a good adaptation.

Recommendation: If You Are Over 25 Watch This, Younger Watch 10 Things I Hate About You.

Rating: 6.5/10 (Grade: C+)

Cute

Author: Shari (AfricanVenus84@aol.com) from United States
28 February 2003

Besides the fact that I'm not all too fond of Megan Goode, the movie was fine. The acting seemed a little forced on the sisters' parts like they wanted more screen time. Gabby Union is finally coming into her own from being in the background of films so long. I'm proud of her. She was a little over zealous in tyring to be hard and cold, but altogether cemented the part. LL was ok, but it's hard to swallow the acting thing with him. I keep expecting him to break into one of his romantic rapping ballads. The other gentlemen were funny. Funny how Gabby Union was in Ten Things I Hate About You, and now she's in something similar as the lead. However, this is more serious in a sense and relative to other audiences. Not too bad. Cute movie.

Fairly decent

Author: raysond from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
7 March 2003

Synopsis: Perfectionist and Health-Inspector from Hell Eva Dandridge (played by Gabrielle Union) is a constant nuisance for her in-laws and her sisters. To keep her from meddling in their lives,Eva is matched with a single guy named Ray(played by rapper/actor LL Cool J),a local playboy type who has been paid $5,000 to date her. The trouble really starts with Ray falls in love with her ending in hilarious and sometimes tragic results.

The problem with this movie is that it plays itself like a tired sitcom focusing mainly on the characters and their problems,but overall it is funny in parts especially with performances from some of the actors. Also,as for an "R" rated movie,this was one of the cleanest "R" rated films that I ever saw since most of the material deals with some sex-related dialogue and only one curse word used throughout the film. As for the lead actress here,this is finally the chance to see Gabrielle Union take charge here and it is a step up from her past material(her last good movie role was that of a cheerleader in Bring It On) as star status. You will see more of her as she progresses forward in better roles,but for this film this is just a start.

Loved it

Author: casik from New Jersey
28 May 2004

This movie had me laughing out loud from beginning to end. I saw the DVD version so the LL Cool J and K-Ci & JoJo videos helped wrap up the story lines. Gabrielle Union and LL Cool J were amazing. It was great to watch the personality transformations as they happened. Even Jacqui lightened up a bit and she seemed more stiff than Eva at times. It's a really funny movie. You don't have to think too much, you can just sit back and enjoy. Make sure you watch the deleted scenes at the end as well. It helps to clear up some gaps. It actually would have been nice to have these re-added with the release of the DVD version. I don't know why filmmakers don't do that. See it! You won't regret it!

LL and Gabriel good chemistry, but lame story and lame actors tired tired tired, old...

Author: smakawhat from Washington, DC
2 March 2003

I was expecting this to be a standard chic flick, however, it was a little more than that. Problem is virtually everyone else in the cast is so lame and ham fisted that even the great chemistry between Gabriel Union and LL Cool J can't save the film.

It's too bad because there are some downright hilarious scenes, and some really good dialogue (almost all of it between LL and Gabriel). But the first half is just lame, the ending is so smarmly wrapped up in a happy feel good way (talk about ridiculous paint by the numbers), and for the most part, Gabriel's character (Eva) is just so horrid that you can't stand her presence on the screen. Unless perhaps you are of the female persuasion, then you probably relished it.

I suppose that's the point, but it went so overboard that it ends up making the movie just a pain of torture to watch whenever Eva gets in her "mood".

And what was the point of that musical number at the beginning anyway??

Don't bother. But its too bad cause the film had a chance..

Rating 4.5 out of 10

I took for what it was supposed to be which is a fun movie

Author: DunnDeeDaGreat from Woodbridge, VA
12 February 2003

Deliver Us from Eva isn't a perfect film and it's not supposed. The film is a urban romantic comedy and the film does have a lot of heart. LL Cool J and Gaberille Union have very good chemisty togetehr and carry the film. Essence Attkins, Megan Good and Robinee Lee all dyme pieces also do acting jobs and the men in their lives played by Mel Jackson and Duane Martin make the film enjoyable also. If you just want a fresh fun movie then check this out.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]