Gigli, a lowly and inept hitman, is assigned a job by the mob to kidnap an intellectually disabled brother of a California district attorney. Gigli abducts the brother from his mental hospital and holds him hostage in his apartment. Ricki, a "lesbian assassin", is sent to oversee Gigli's job and make sure he doesn't screw it up. Comedic high jinks ensue as the two go on the lam and start to fall in love. Written by
Ben Affleck in the film's production notes: "My character is essentially a guy who's living a life he doesn't really feel is his. He's faking it. Underneath his macho posturing is someone who's actually very sweet and very unhappy. The story resonated with me in a way that usually doesn't happen when I read a script. It was extremely strange, unusual and heart breaking. What I didn't see was how funny it was. Then as we played out some of the scenes, I realized that it has a great deal of humor." See more »
When Ricky and Larry are leaving to meet Louis, she is wearing an orange-colored shirt under her jacket, but when they're with Louis and Starkman she's wearing a different shirt. See more »
You see, after all is said and done, the only thing you can be really sure of, the only thing you can really count on in this world, is that you just never fucking know.
See more »
Towards the end of the credits Brian (Justin Bartha) can be heard singing his rendition of "Baby Got Back". See more »
I saw this movie and hated about 99% of it. After I found out it cost $54,000,000 to make, I started to hate the other 1%. If this is considered a love story between Lopez and Affleck, may I ask...where was the love? A sex scene with no nudity, no passion, and no sound....why? Supporting characters like Christopher Walken and others were introduced and went no where...why? The story alone peeks when Pacino arrives and shoots one of the cast members. From there, i was hoping that Pacino had finished the job and killed the rest of the cast. If that happened, the movie would have been good. Instead, the movie drags and drags and drags. The audience is not going to care if the actors in the movie learn something or progress if they don't care about the characters. Lopez and Affleck's characters do not exist! Much like the ugly tattoos on Affleck's shoulder, the movie was not fun to look at. In my opinion, and I do not think I am wrong, if Lopez had a small nude scene and / or the movie was done as an independent film for under 2 or 3 million, Gigli would have been a giant success. Instead, we are left to wonder....why?
161 of 209 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?