IMDb > Chicago (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chicago

Chicago More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 103: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

My two cents...

Author: elizabethsc
23 August 2003

My opinion of Chicago is generally favorable, though perhaps it only seems that way because it exceeded my expectations. Like many, I was drawn to the movie to see how it's stars, not known for musicals, handled the material.

Renee Zellweger's passive-aggressive take on Roxie Hart seems bland and does little to make us care about this scheming, manipulative character. Her singing resembles her speaking voice: thin, breathy, occasionally strong. She dances hesitantly, with little flair. It would be easier to be generous if I could avoid comparisons with Catherine Zeta- Jones' portrayal of Velma Kelly. Velma is presented as a character who is also scheming and manipulative, but her emotions manage to ring true and leave her much more appealing than Roxie. I think it is a case of the stronger actor also being given the stronger character, making the gap seem even wider. Technically, Zeta-Jones' background in musical theater shows in both raw performance and overall presence. She easily draws the attention when the two women are in a scene together. Her voice is well suited to the part, and her previous dance training adds polish. I mean it as a compliment to say that she blends in with the extras, surely professional dancers, during the noteworthy "Cell Block Tango." The sequence features five other women along with Zeta-Jones. Their performances are individually memorable, and the ensemble as a whole is excellent. The excitement in vocals and choreography easily outpaces both the opening and closing numbers.

Richard Gere is surprisingly...refreshing as the slick lawyer Billy Flynn. It is contradictory, but by embracing his character's faults he gives him a kind of thieves honor that makes him very likable. His songs have a childish exuberance that add to an above average performance.

The best performances, however, belong to John C. Reilly and Queen Latifah. Reilly personifies innocence as Amos Hart, Roxie's naive husband. His song "Mr. Cellophane," the simplest in the movie, resonates with all the emotion the other characters seem to lack. And Latifah's "When You're Good to Mama" is certain to earn a standing ovation in any Broadway theater. Her voice is strong and flexible, and the choreography captures that perfect hint of burlesque and the joy of a performer who loves what they do. Her deleted duet with Zeta-Jones, which is included on the DVD, further shows her range in vocal style. In fact both actresses shine in this simple number that stands on talent, not extravagant sets, costumes, or choreography.

Overall, I can see how this movie invites both dizzying praise and scathing criticism, but my thoughts lie squarely in the middle. Ardent fans of the Broadway show will probably be disappointed, as well as movie fans who don't care for musicals. For anyone in between with an open mind, I definitely recommend watching Chicago.

Chicago is definitely "All that jazz!"

Author: Jessie from St. Louis, MO
23 August 2003

I saw this movie for the first time a few nights ago and I LOVED it. It portrays the times perfectly and gives a spotlight to Roxie's shallowness, which is how many young women of the 20's were. This musical was fabulous and I recommend it to anyone!

Very much deserving of the Best Picture Oscar win

Author: quixoboy from Ottawa, Ontario
23 August 2003

I must admit, I couldn't understand all the media hype over this "Chicago" flick all the way back in late 2002/early 2003. Sure, the cast looked terrific, the music great, the sets, costumes and cinematography wonderful...yet I thought maybe, just maybe, the film was treading a little into "over-rated" territory. Of course, being a stubborn hypocrite, I hadn't even seen the movie yet, nor did I have any real knowledge of the story/theatrical background. I also never ended up seeing it in theatres - no, not even AFTER its virtual sweep at the 2003 Academy Awards! Nope...narrow-minded ol' me just wouldn't choose to watch what I thought to look like a dull, clichéd, uninteresting "feel-good" Hollywood musical.

Then I finally got the sense to rent it a day after it was released on video and DVD earlier this week - and what a viewing experience that was! Wow...by the end of the film, I was 100% swayed, converted, and convinced entirely that this picture's critical acclaim, award wins, etc. were well-deserved, and then some!

I can't say enough about how this film's music and characters lifted my spirits and had me trying to sing/dance along to the many highlight numbers! A true winner! My favourite recent movie musical since the incomparable "Moulin Rouge!" - I loved it. Congratulations to everyone involved!

One of Bob Fosse's best!!!

Author: laualex13 from United States
20 August 2003

I thought this movie was wonderful! I completely enjoyed it, I only regret that I never saw it in the theaters because I am sure it would have been even better on the big screen. All of the actors were great and I thought they had alot of courage to use their own voices and danced as most of the actors had not done that before in any movies that I know of.

A fun movie.

Author: swipht1
19 August 2003

This was a great time. The songs in this really got my blood flowing. It portrayed well the racy, liquor and jazz filled times of the 1930s Chicago. The action was well done by Renee Zellwegger and I especially enjoyed Queen Latifah's musical number. A storyline that everyone can enjoy and songs that will have you humming for days.

Perfect!

Author: OhGodShesOnly13 (gloglo815@yahoo.com) from U.S.A
19 August 2003

This was, by far, the best musical I've ever seen in my 13 years of life. I was very impressed to learn, after doing a bit of research, that all of the lead actors and actresses did their own singing and dancing. Richard Gere's tap dancing was simple, yet not something most people off the streets could manage. His singing was very good as well. Renee Zellweger was absolutely wonderful, in singing, dancing, and acting. It surprised me to learn that she could do all three so well. Catherine Zeta-Jones also did a sensational job on her singing, dancing and acting, but it wasn't as memorable of a job as Renee Zellweger's. Queen Latifah was perfect for the part of "Mama" Morton, and finally, John C. Reilly deserves credit for his role in the movie. He was exceptionally good in his song "Mister Cellophane".

This movie wasn't anything really grand or flashy, unlike all the other movies of this time period, but that just made it all the more amazing. I just picked up the DVD today, and it was worth every cent of the $21.23 I paid for it. I made my friend, Jessica come over and watch it with me, but I don't think she really appreciated the true beauty of it. I guess you have to like musicals to like "Chicago". Well, in any case, "Chicago" is a movie I'll watch over and over again! Thanx for reading my review!

XOXOXO --Gloria

We Had This Coming!

Author: paul sloan from Scotland
18 August 2003

Instead of disguising the stage origins of Chicago for the big screen, Rob Marshall and co. positively embrace them. This is probably the best filming of a stage musical since Bob Fosse's Cabaret.From start to finish the whole thing is pure class. Acting, choreography,camera work, costumes and sets are all of top quality. Many of the gripes about this getting Best Picture at the Oscars come from Lord of The Rings fans who really should get back to spotting trains ASAP.Sure there is much to complain about concerning the output of the major Hollywood studios.Because of this, I am glad there are producers like Harvey Weinstein and that movies like Chicago can be made. Reccomended!

Most awesome medley of music, drama and satire I have ever seen

Author: HemangLavana from NY, NY
17 August 2003

I was stunned by the movie. Its drama, its music, its dance, its satire, its wit. Each and every scene was beautifully designed. it was full of details and full of appeal to all the senses. Even the most simple concepts was melodramatically presented, with melodrama not over imposing.

What more can you expect, the music was amazing, the dances were the best ones i have ever seen, the drama, the humor, the satire. Not a single moment of the movie was dull, without action. the movie truely siezed my complete attention and throughly entertained me. I was talking about this movie for atleast one week. I ended up recommending this movie to each and every friend of mine. I'll ardently recommend viewing this movie.

This is the best musical movie I have ever seen in my life.

Wow! Wow! Wow!

Author: Peter Edge (Edgeboy) from Solihull, England
13 August 2003

Unbelievable! I,m not a big fan of musicals but Chicago is just amazing. The songs are just amazing "He Had it Coming" the best of the bunch. The performances are superb Catherine Zeta Jones and Richard Gere the best and it was great seeing the fantastic music star Mya in the movie. One of my favourite movies of all time. 10 out of ten

Fantastic cast for a fantastic movie!

Author: sackofdogmeat from Selden, Long Island
8 August 2003

One of the best movies I have ever seen, the greatest cast possible in the history of cinema. Catherine Zeta Jones totally deserved this years Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her marvelous performance. No body could portray Roxie Hart better than Renee Zellwegger. The rest of the cast's performances also make the movie more worth the while. Everyone loves this movie... it's one of the greatest in cinema history!